Blackwood called up, Schneider to IR

DevilMinder

4 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Why would you say that would be a terrible move? At worst I see it as is an inconsequential move to avoid starting Cory in the upcoming back to back. 

Tri, it does make life easier when you explain where you're coming from, instead of making declarations with no elaborating whatsoever. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I agree, it has to hurt. But what is the alternative? Keep running him out and losing winnable games? If you're making the decision to tank, that's one thing. But if you're trying to compete, you can't have him on the ice right now. 

I think the best that can happen is you give him a break, he comes back with something to prove, puts together 4-5 good games, and you trade him for whatever you can get. 

Absolutely I agree you can not have him on the ice right now, I still feel that this might be all she wrote for Cory in NJ (unless this injury is legit and he is still recovering). I'm not saying he is done, just it might be very hard to work his way back mentally. A new start with another team may be what Cory needs. Problem is finding a team to take on that contract/length at his age may be next to impossible.

24 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i still refuse to believe that Cory simply lost his ability to play. I'm sure part of it is in his head at this point, but I still think he's hurt and has not fully recovered. He may never, who knows. But I will not be one of those people who think trading for him was dumb, or that his contract was dumb, because I still think it was the right move at the time

He has though. Have you watched him? He can't move laterally and he gets beat up high easily. It's not in his head, it's just time kicking him in the ass. We are used to a legend like  Brodeur, but the truth is most goalies don't stay at a high level for long periods. See Quick, Jonathon for reference.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

He has though. Have you watched him? He can't move laterally and he gets beat up high easily. It's not in his head, it's just time kicking him in the ass. We are used to a legend like  Brodeur, but the truth is most goalies don't stay at a high level for long periods. See Quick, Jonathon for reference.

Time doesn't just kick your ass one day. All of the stuff you are mentioning about his mobility is more likely related to the injury he sustained, played through, had surgically repaired, and probably still isn't right or at least not fully rehabbed. 

I'm not saying I expected him to stay at a high level forever, but it was like flipping a switch. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Time doesn't just kick your ass one day. All of the stuff you are mentioning about his mobility is more likely related to the injury he sustained, played through, had surgically repaired, and probably still isn't right or at least not fully rehabbed. 

I'm not saying I expected him to stay at a high level forever, but it was like flipping a switch. 

Yeah I would expect a steadier decline. Id have to look back at Quicks numbers but I'm sure it wasn't night and day like Cory has been

1 hour ago, Steadevils said:

Why would you say that would be a terrible move? At worst I see it as is an inconsequential move to avoid starting Cory in the upcoming back to back. 

They have to get Cory games somewhere (if it's fake).  The goalie depth chart in the organization is a nightmare - Blackwood has played well this season but was awful last season, Johnson has been atrocious, and Lack is hurt.  If they're sitting him out to save his pride, it's not helping matters at all - he's got to be playing somewhere, even if it's in Adirondack, because it's not like they have lots of other options. 

What's more likely is that Schneider's been playing with this injury the whole time and he's been trying to just work through it, but that's not a great sign either.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Triumph said:

They have to get Cory games somewhere (if it's fake).  The goalie depth chart in the organization is a nightmare - Blackwood has played well this season but was awful last season, Johnson has been atrocious, and Lack is hurt.  If they're sitting him out to save his pride, it's not helping matters at all - he's got to be playing somewhere, even if it's in Adirondack, because it's not like they have lots of other options. 

What's more likely is that Schneider's been playing with this injury the whole time and he's been trying to just work through it, but that's not a great sign either.

Isnt Johnson only in his early 20s?  He looked decent in the pre season game vs the rangers.  I could see the devils just sticking with kk depending on how long Cory's "injured"

20 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It's hard to believe the level of fvcked our goaltending depth is when you consider that some teams seem unable to even keep track of all of their hot goaltending prospects.

Just sign Mrazek or some average to below average goalie to pair with Kinkaid next year and it's an auto upgrade from this year.

18 hours ago, Triumph said:

That does make sense. I would agree that if Cory isn't actually hurt the better course of action would be to send him down through waivers to play regularly in the AHL for an extended period. I was guessing in another thread that this is what might happen after the holidays to spare a  respected veteran from riding the AHL bus away from his family over the holidays. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

For what it's worth, Hynes said a week or so ago that Cory was basically 100% healthy.  I forget how it was worded, but he essentially said he was fine and the injury isn't an issue and/or is healed now.  

Guess that 3rd goal on Friday was the final straw for Cory. I like Cory the person but Cory the goalie looks like he's toast so I'm all for moving on. 

It wouldn't happen without another lockout but situations like this is why I wish the NHL would get rid of guaranteed contracts. Some of these people don't deserve to be getting the salaries they get. It really should be treated like the vast majority of all professions. If you're not producing you're fired.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

For what it's worth, Hynes said a week or so ago that Cory was basically 100% healthy.  I forget how it was worded, but he essentially said he was fine and the injury isn't an issue and/or is healed now.  

I still have my suspicions. 

• Like 1