Sign in to follow this  
DevilMinder

Blackwood called up, Schneider to IR

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

But then Tri would lose that "know-it-all" mystique that he loves to use here! ;)

Meh, I've seen him put up very in-depth and extended posts (on many occasions, including thread-starters) that even if you don't agree with them (or with metrics or how much they really tell you), such posts at least get you thinking...and though we all go by our eyes to a fair extent, there's definitely times where they'll mislead us, and lesser-known ways of trying to quantify what a player is doing can really help fill in the blanks...maybe not fully, but enough to give you more of a picture. 

But no reason not to expand initially on why sending Cory down is a terrible idea.  All those kinds of posts do is get people to ask "Well why?", when it would be plenty easy to just TELL everyone why from the get-go, and then see how the back-and-forth evolves.  Adds an unnecessary step to the whole discussion/debate, really. 

23 hours ago, Triumph said:

They have to get Cory games somewhere (if it's fake).  The goalie depth chart in the organization is a nightmare - Blackwood has played well this season but was awful last season, Johnson has been atrocious, and Lack is hurt.  If they're sitting him out to save his pride, it's not helping matters at all - he's got to be playing somewhere, even if it's in Adirondack, because it's not like they have lots of other options. 

What's more likely is that Schneider's been playing with this injury the whole time and he's been trying to just work through it, but that's not a great sign either.

I agree with the bolded, but not right at the moment.  I think they gotta give him 2-3 weeks in some attempt to clear his head a little...maybe it works and maybe it doesn't, who can possibly say for sure at this point...but imagine if he actually went to Adirondack and somehow got lit up there too.  I just think his head might be spinning so much right now that you damned near keep him away from the ice for a while...he's about as close to reaching "reclamation project" status as he can.  Not sure more hockey is what he needs right now, no matter what level he's playing at.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

LA was at the start of this decade: Quick, Bernier, Jones

Ducks: Gibson, Andersen and to a lesser extent Hiller

Agreed but that was a long time ago. 

32 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Agreed but that was a long time ago. 

Outside of Quick, who was actually on some really talented teams both offensively and defensively (Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Doughty, Johnson, etc), have any of those goalies really accomplished much?  I mean, that's like a Who's Who list of mediocre goalies if I've ever seen one.

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Outside of Quick, who was actually on some really talented teams both offensively and defensively (Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Doughty, Johnson, etc), have any of those goalies really accomplished much?  I mean, that's like a Who's Who list of mediocre goalies if I've ever seen one.

What this generation clearly doesn't have is a Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur...those guys who just really stand out (and some "next tier" guys like Belfour did too).  There's obviously some fine goalies in the league, but they all just seem so much more nameless now...somehow less "there"...even the ones who've been around a long time now and have racked up a lot of wins (like Luongo with 477, Lundqvist with 441, and MAF with 423). 

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What this generation clearly doesn't have is a Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur...those guys who just really stand out (and some "next tier" guys like Belfour did too).  There's obviously some fine goalies in the league, but they all just seem so much more nameless now...somehow less "there"...even the ones who've been around a long time now and have racked up a lot of wins (like Luongo with 477, Lundqvist with 441, and MAF with 423). 

Completely agree.  The three guys you mentioned are the ones I think of as the bridge between today's players and the previous generation of goalies (coincidentally, there happened to be 3 of them as well).  The three guys still playing, Luongo, Lundqvist, and MAF are all top tier and probably 'elite' goalies, who probably all will make the Hall of Fame one day, but obviously they aren't as good as the prior three who were standouts before them (Brodeur, Roy, and Hasek), but beyond that, you're right - that generation prior not only had 3 of the greatest to ever play the game, but there was a pretty ample cast of good-to-great goalies below them, similar to the Luongo/Lundqvist/MAF's of this generation.  Guy's like Belfour who you mentioned, and others like Cujo, Osgood, Vernon, Nabokov, Khabibulin, Kolzig, etc.  Today, it just seems like there's a huge glut of 'meh' goalies in the league.  I mean, guys like Holtby, Price, Quick, Dubynk, Bishop....they're all good in their own right, but they hardly stand out or are seen as true difference makers, at least in my eyes.  Honestly, the only guys I think are sort of above that group right there might be Rinne and/or Rask, and that's only because they've been doing it for so long and I think durability/tenure/longevity counts for a lot.  Other than that though, like I said, this generation of goalies is pretty blah.  I don't see it being much different in the near future, as you look at the young guys who are following it up and kind of in their prime now...Hellebuyck, Crawford, Murray, Anderson/en, Bobrovsky, etc.  Maybe the generation after this will be different with guys like Carter Hart and that Russian guy the Rags supposedly have, who knows.  Or maybe, in the end, we were all spoiled and it truly was a great time for goalies with that last generation, and we may not see several great goalies playing at the same time again for quite a while.

Edited by NJDfan1711

On 12/17/2018 at 2:26 PM, mfitz804 said:

i still refuse to believe that Cory simply lost his ability to play. I'm sure part of it is in his head at this point, but I still think he's hurt and has not fully recovered. He may never, who knows. But I will not be one of those people who think trading for him was dumb, or that his contract was dumb, because I still think it was the right move at the time. 

Still kind of in this camp, but boy....he seems really done.  I can't remember a single game Schneider has played in this season where he didn't allow 2 goals in the first period of every game he's played this year.  It's looked so bad.  

23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I put a lot of blame for that on the popularity of the butterfly style and padding. Goalies in the previous generation had to rely on a lot more reflex whereas now positioning and size is more important.  

In the 90s, you knew if you were seeing Hasek or Brodeur or Roy, Belfour, Cujo, Fuhr, etc etc. They were all distinctly different and I think the cream had a way of rising to the top then because their talent was able to shine more. Everyone having one style these days kind of levels the playing field a bit. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1