GDT: Toronna vs Your New Jersey Devils - 12/18/2018 @ 7:00PM

CommonDreads

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, I am not against trading Hall before he leaves and we're all stunned because it seemed like he loved us so much and there's was no way he would re-join Connor McDavid in Edmonton or some other team of superstars. Most of me thinks we should unload this whole roster save for Severson, Vatanen, Bratt, Hischier, and maybe Butcher. Trade Palmieri while he's young and prolific for sure.

If you keep all of those guys, what are you trading then, Hall and Palms? No one wants Zacha Boyle Noesen Stafford Greene or Lovejoy.  Could make the case no one wants Johansson or Wood too.

Just now, Neb00rs said:

I can't hate Greene. The guy just has this look on his face like, "Yeah I'm surprised Hynes still puts me in as well and in critical game situations to boot."

I can see that too. I mean, he's a 36yr old who's only ever been on this team....I feel like even he's surprised and thankful that he's being given a lot of rope.

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If you keep all of those guys, what are you trading then, Hall and Palms? No one wants Zacha Boyle Noesen Stafford Greene or Lovejoy.  Could make the case no one wants Johansson or Wood too.

What would I do with the latter players? Well if I could, execute them. But alas, modern Western democracy prevails.

• Like 1

Do you guys realize how the Leafs got so good? They drafted Schenn 5th overall (which they traded for 2nd overall van riemsdyk), Rielly 5th overall, Marner 4th overall, Kadri 7th overall, Nylander 8th overall, Matthews 1st overall.

Since 2006, they missed the playoffs 10 times and NEVER won a playoffs series. It took 9 years to draft their core. With that core, they were able to attract a coach like Babcock and players like Tavares (1st overall) and Marleau.

We started from almost NOTHING 3-4 years ago and only had someone who knew something about drafting for 2 years. 

It's. going. to. take. time. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Do you guys realize how the Leafs got so good? They drafted Schenn 5th overall (which they traded for 2nd overall van riemsdyk), Rielly 5th overall, Marner 4th overall, Kadri 7th overall, Nylander 8th overall, Matthews 1st overall.

Since 2006, they missed the playoffs 10 times and NEVER won a playoffs series. It took 9 years to draft their core. With that core, they were able to attract a coach like Babcock and players like Tavares (1st overall) and Marleau.

We started from almost NOTHING 3-4 years ago and only had someone who knew something about drafting for 2 years. 

fvck.my.life.

Lol Hynes doesn't even look mad. He doesn't look like he cares. I can imagine him going into the LR and going "okay boys, I told them what they wanted to hear. See you guys on the plane.".

Honestly if we are really 7 years out from a successful team then Shero should have traded Hall and Schneider while they had value. This is just absolute dog sh!t.

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Bullsh!t. If getting good takes a pathetic Toronto Maple Leaf-NINE years, then you’re doing it wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Lol Hynes doesn't even look mad. He doesn't look like he cares. I can imagine him going into the LR and going "okay boys, I told them what they wanted to hear. See you guys on the plane.".

Honestly if we are really 7 years out from a successful team then Shero should have traded Hall and Schneider while they had value. This is just absolute dog sh!t.

Hall still has value.  I'm not suggesting trading him, but he has value. A lot.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

He cares. That's a man whose pride is suffering massively. He's a good guy, there's no doubt about it and he definitely cares. I wish that's all it took to be a good coach but it's not. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Bullsh!t. If getting good takes a pathetic Toronto Maple Leaf-NINE years, then you’re doing it wrong.

lol how? Please tell me systematically how you expect to take the 2015 team... with no prospects or anything... and make it a contender faster than we are now?

The only way is to magically sign every single top free agents over a few years at a bargain deal. Is that what you expect? 

Cammalleri - Henrique - Jagr

Elias - Zajac - Ruutu

Ryder - Gomez - Zubrus

Havlat - Josefson - Gionta

Next in line: Tootoo - Bernier (top prospect = Reid Boucher)

Greene - Salvador

Larsson - Gelinas

Severson - Zidlicky

Next in line: Harrold - Merril

Schneider / Kinkaid

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

lol how? Please tell me systematically how you expect to take the 2015 team... with no prospects or anything... and make it a contender faster than we are now?

You're my making a different argument from what i responded to. You were implying a rebuild should take up to to 9 years, to which I disagreed. Never said our rebuild shouldve been completed by now 

35 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I mean, I am not against trading Hall before he leaves and we're all stunned because it seemed like he loved us so much and there's was no way he would re-join Connor McDavid in Edmonton or some other team of superstars. Most of me thinks we should unload this whole roster save for Severson, Vatanen, Bratt, Hischier, and maybe Butcher. Trade Palmieri while he's young and prolific for sure.

I am not necessarily advocating for an overhaul, but I could be convinced either way.

You forgot Coleman if you’re talking keepers. 

I’m COMPLETELY against trading Hall unless Ray knows for sure he can’t re-sign him. 

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You forgot Coleman if you’re talking keepers. 

I’m COMPLETELY against trading Hall unless Ray knows for sure he can’t re-sign him. 

Absolutely. We need to create a legit top line for him, not trade him. With all due respect Nico and Palms are second liners on any team.

2 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

Absolutely. We need to create a legit top line for him, not trade him. With all due respect Nico and Palms are second liners on any team.

Idk about any team. Nico could play on many team’s top lines. And Palms scores a lot of goals, even if he’s not great in other aspects. 

The 1st is not the problem. 

30 minutes ago, devlman said:

You're my making a different argument from what i responded to. You were implying a rebuild should take up to to 9 years, to which I disagreed. Never said our rebuild shouldve been completed by now 

i didnt say that it should take 9 years, there's no exact number, depends on soooo many factors. I said that theirs took 9 years of drafting. And we were in worst shape than they were before those 9 years. So how would you make it faster?

Edited by SterioDesign

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Eh, he just held one of the best teams in the league to 1 goal his last start. He’s just being asked to do too much. 

They mentioned some stat showing he's given up four or more in a whole lot of games recently. That spurred my comment. I didn't realize it was that bad. 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

They mentioned some stat showing he's given up four or more in a whole lot of games recently. That spurred my comment. I didn't realize it was that bad. 

He’s definitely not been playing as well as last season. But he still gives you occasional games like against Nashville, or the 3 shutouts he’s had this season. I think he’d be fine if there was someone who could split starts with him. He just shouldn’t be counted on to be a #1 starter. 

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Idk about any team. Nico could play on many team’s top lines. And Palms scores a lot of goals, even if he’s not great in other aspects. 

The 1st is not the problem. 

Maybe, but IMO Taylor needs more creative line mates or at least a more consistent scorer.

1 hour ago, devlman said:

Well, towards the end of the Lou/Conte era, we were, which really has us behind the 8 ball now.      

2012 - Lou insisted on keeping our first despite it being 29th overall and picks a grinder in Matteau.  Current team getting no benefit from this pick.  

2013 - traded the 9th overall pick for Schneider.  It was a nice trade at the time but it’s safe to say the 2018 team is not benefitting from it.  It’s actually a detriment 

2014 - instead of getting the 13th overall pick, we select 30th due to Lou not giving up 29 in ‘12.  We take Quenneville who may become a middle 6 player but not doing much for the current roster.  

2015 - I remember Zacha, Barzal and Rantanen being the three names thrown around for our pick mainly because it was thought we were set on D with Larsson, Severson, Merrill and Gelinas.  If they literally take either of the two other forwards or one of the D taken with the following two picks, things certainly look a lot brighter.

We also got a little unlucky in 2016 that Chychrun fell so badly and there was a run on forwards before our pick.   

Edited by Lateralous