GDT: Devils @ Blue Jackets 7PM

Nicomo

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh for sure...just would have been nice see him get properly rewarded.

That first goal, Sevs and Vats going after the puck carrier, leaving #71 wide open. Brilliant. D work.  Thats on Sevs Poor fvckin D awareness

Edited by Gunslinger27

Figures we finally get some solid goaltending and then we can't score more than a damn goal. Mojo getting hurt sucks too since he's been good lately. 

Blackwood earned another start at least and thankfully didn't sh!t his pants when he saw the puck like Cory does and Keith has been doing lately. Well spoken kid too, he deserved a win. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Just got back from the game, and other than the first period I can’t really hate the effort tonight. Glad I got to see Blackwood. Kid can play. Probably 4 or 5-1 if Cory or KK was in there. Had some particularly annoying fans sitting near me unfortunately. One stupid ass college kid who sounded like it was his 2nd hockey game ever was particularly getting on my nerves so I had to turn around and say something when he stated he hates playing teams that don’t have any star players. Ofc I brought up Hall winning the MVP last year and like 3 minutes later he scored on the breakaway which was pretty sweet. There was definitely some frustration over a few of Blackwood’s saves too. At least they made a game of it anyway. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Kind of doubt Hynes gives him a back to back after seeing almost 40 shots tonight. He should start Sunday though. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Hynes already said Kinkaid is playing tomorrow. I’d like to see Blackwood again on Sunday though.

Didn't even realize we were playing tomorrow lol. I'm fine with KK playing tomorrow, but I hope Blackwood gets the start sunday indeed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Just got back from the game, and other than the first period I can’t really hate the effort tonight. Glad I got to see Blackwood. Kid can play. Probably 4 or 5-1 if Cory or KK was in there. Had some particularly annoying fans sitting near me unfortunately. One stupid ass college kid who sounded like it was his 2nd hockey game ever was particularly getting on my nerves so I had to turn around and say something when he stated he hates playing teams that don’t have any star players. Ofc I brought up Hall winning the MVP last year and like 3 minutes later he scored on the breakaway which was pretty sweet. There was definitely some frustration over a few of Blackwood’s saves too. At least they made a game of it anyway. 

I know we have sucked for like 6 straight years sans last year but Columbus has existed for 18 years and never won a playoff series... fvck em

Should've said I guess you won't be coming to any games here next year when Panarin and Bob leave then, since they refuse to sign... probably doesn't even know who they are.

• Like 2

I'm torn whether to think Cory will get back to old form, or try to move the guy. As is, no one wants a 'project" at 6 mil per.Bob was very good last night. Have no idea what to expect tonight.

I’m personally not going to name a guy my #1 of the future based on one game, but he looked good and I do want to see some more. 

Suggesting he should play tonight is ridiculous. But unless KK wants to show me why we shouldn’t, I’ve got no problem with a 1A 1B platoon for the time Blackwood is here. 

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Bratt better end up on a worthwhile line tonight. He was almost totally wasted last night. Seney can at least fly, but really...Boyle is an anchor playing with two dudes that move at mach 1. 

Boyle missed the game tying goal by an inch.  You’d have no argument today if he had a slightly better angle. 

I’ll say it again, Boyle’s job is to be huge and immovable in the goal mouth. 9 goals in 28 games from a 4th liner. Boyle isn’t the problem, if anything he has overproduced. 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Boyle missed the game tying goal by an inch.  You’d have no argument today if he had a slightly better angle

I’ll say it again, Boyle’s job is to be huge and immovable in the goal mouth. 9 goals in 28 games from a 4th liner. Boyle isn’t the problem, if anything he has overproduced. 

Better luck in the parallel universe where he did something worthwhile last night then. I remember Boyle's shot into  Bob's gooch at one point and a fanned shot at a wide open net, but I don't remember him doing anything constructive during the 6 on 5 in the dying seconds. I don't think he should be out on the power play either. Also, I never said Boyle is the cause of all our woe and misery, I said I didn't like him holding back two very fast forwards.

I was real happy to see a NJ goalie make some really nice saves, it's been a while. No reason whatsoever for not giving him a good look.

Can we please move Bratt off the 4th line. I don't know why but I still want to punch Torts everytime I see that stupid grin of his. Probably a Ranger thing!

23 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Better luck in the parallel universe where he did something worthwhile last night then. I remember Boyle's shot into  Bob's gooch at one point and a fanned shot at a wide open net, but I don't remember him doing anything constructive during the 6 on 5 in the dying seconds. I don't think he should be out on the power play either. Also, I never said Boyle is the cause of all our woe and misery, I said I didn't like him holding back two very fast forwards.

Precisely this.  Boyle's performance last night aside, prior the game I was going to say that I didn't like him on the line with Bratt and Seney in particular, but really any line we have in general, because our team is built upon speed, and his skillset just doesn't really match.  I used to be of the opinion that lines should be balanced and have a little of everything, but lately I think it's better to keep guys aligned with similar playing styles, and when I look at Boyle, he just seems like he's a boat anchor anywhere we try to fit him.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m personally not going to name a guy my #1 of the future based on one game, but he looked good and I do want to see some more. 

Suggesting he should play tonight is ridiculous. But unless KK wants to show me why we shouldn’t, I’ve got no problem with a 1A 1B platoon for the time Blackwood is here. 

This was the "risky" scenario that I posted about hoping to see a while back: 

1) Cory basically being out of the picture for the immediate future (his more prolific seasons of the past are sadly no longer relevant, he's been that bad for that long)

2) Blackwood getting a legit look and a shot to play himself into a goalie rotation. 

Agree that too much can't and shouldn't be made out of one game, and no way in hell he should start tonight.  But at least a baby step towards the promise of some better play in net was taken last night.  I'll take that over status quo. 

Just sucks that even if Blackwood helps out, that's only one problem semi-solved.  I wish it was only a case of poor goaltending. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Precisely this.  Boyle's performance last night aside, prior the game I was going to say that I didn't like him on the line with Bratt and Seney in particular, but really any line we have in general, because our team is built upon speed, and his skillset just doesn't really match.  I used to be of the opinion that lines should be balanced and have a little of everything, but lately I think it's better to keep guys aligned with similar playing styles, and when I look at Boyle, he just seems like he's a boat anchor anywhere we try to fit him.

Speed isn’t everything. Give me Brian Boyle over Mikes Wood any day.