RECAP

• PROS
    • Zacha looked good.
    • The overall effort was good.
    • Blackwood was good.
  • CONS
    • Coaching lost this game
      • It was inexcusable not starting Blackwood
      • For whatever reason, this coaching staff babies the kids far too much.
      • The stupid d-zone system was responsible for the first two goals against
        • Allowing opposing players all that time to make a play with the puck along the boards allowed those two backdoor goals
        • In fact, the 3rd Columbus goal was a result of what happens when you pressure the puck carrier along the boards.
          • Hall being pressured got the puck knocked off his stick, and away went Panarin.
      • And WTF was that 5 on 3?
        • Just set up simple one timers.
        • Trying to force the puck to the middle makes life so easy on the PK'ers.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE RECAP

• Goal 1
    • Vatanen (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure Panarin, he gets a pass to Atkinson for an easy goal.
    • Nothing Kinkaid could do.
  • Goal 2
    • Coleman (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure whoever it was, he gets a pass to Bjorkstrand for an easy goal
    • What was Kinkaid even doing on his stomach?
  • Goal 3
    • Hall gets pressured in the o-zone which forces a turnover and Panarin is let loose on a breakaway
    • Kinkaid lets in a terrible goal albeit it was a tricky shot

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 54 to 33
  • FF: 44 to 27
  • SF: 31 to 18
  • SCF: 28 to 13
  • HDCF: 8 to 5

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 45.46 to 38.28
  • FF: 37.67 to 30.81
  • SF: 26.18 to 20.46
  • SCF: 23.62 to 15.03
  • HDCF: 6.7 to 5.77

Santini got back doored twice......... Bad D awareness......... Live and learn

Edited by Gunslinger27

1 hour ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• PROS
    • Zacha looked good.
    • The overall effort was good.
    • Blackwood was good.
  • CONS
    • Coaching lost this game
      • It was inexcusable not starting Blackwood
      • For whatever reason, this coaching staff babies the kids far too much.
      • The stupid d-zone system was responsible for the first two goals against
        • Allowing opposing players all that time to make a play with the puck along the boards allowed those two backdoor goals
        • In fact, the 3rd Columbus goal was a result of what happens when you pressure the puck carrier along the boards.
          • Hall being pressured got the puck knocked off his stick, and away went Panarin.
      • And WTF was that 5 on 3?
        • Just set up simple one timers.
        • Trying to force the puck to the middle makes life so easy on the PK'ers.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE RECAP

• Goal 1
    • Vatanen (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure Panarin, he gets a pass to Atkinson for an easy goal.
    • Nothing Kinkaid could do.
  • Goal 2
    • Coleman (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure whoever it was, he gets a pass to Bjorkstrand for an easy goal
    • What was Kinkaid even doing on his stomach?
  • Goal 3
    • Hall gets pressured in the o-zone which forces a turnover and Panarin is let loose on a breakaway
    • Kinkaid lets in a terrible goal albeit it was a tricky shot

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 54 to 33
  • FF: 44 to 27
  • SF: 31 to 18
  • SCF: 28 to 13
  • HDCF: 8 to 5

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 45.46 to 38.28
  • FF: 37.67 to 30.81
  • SF: 26.18 to 20.46
  • SCF: 23.62 to 15.03
  • HDCF: 6.7 to 5.77

It's bad when "ALMOST" Zacha is our top pro recap of the game 😅

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

What a waste of DVR space. I wish I forgot to record it. 

Agree with Mike Brown about starting Blackwood and terrible coaching. Letting in 2-3 quick goals every other game is clearly the coaching issue. We can say "one of those games" but we already had about 10 of them. Sorry, I don't gave a s..t about the efforts that consistently produce nothing but frustration. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I like them better than the current ones...

not the colors, but pretty much everything else. Still hate the shoulder yokes, arm stripes, and empty space at the bottom on the current jerseys. 

If my memory serves me right, each time except one in the past 5-6 years when they wore anything other than regular jerseys they lost. 

Edited by Devs64

51 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

If my memory serves me right, each time except one in the past 5-6 years when they wore anything other than regular jerseys they lost. 

That’s cause the team has sucked, not because jerseys affect anything. 

25 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Coming from the guy who considers McLeod playing 5 mins in one game “ a good look.” 

• Like 2

What an odd game.  I can't say the Devils played poorly on defense, but they clearly didn't play well, because they allowed 2 backdoor plays, one of which was a pretty easy goal.  Kinkaid's gotta have that third one.

Likewise on offense, I can't say the Devils played well - too many point shots, not enough great chances - but they deserved better than 0 goals.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Triumph said:

What an odd game.  I can't say the Devils played poorly on defense, but they clearly didn't play well, because they allowed 2 backdoor plays, one of which was a pretty easy goal.  Kinkaid's gotta have that third one.

Likewise on offense, I can't say the Devils played well - too many point shots, not enough great chances - but they deserved better than 0 goals.

Tri, I hear ya, Better D awareness on back door passes can be fixed.  Granted Santini hasn't  seen much action . But theirs other culprits. 

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Bengals swept by the Cleveland fvcking Browns. 

I’m probably at my lowest point as adult sports fan right now. 

Hoping and praying the hockey goods treat us well in the draft. 

Dolphins sh!t themselves against fvcking Jacksonville, and we are now officially eliminated, not that I expected anything else... just a miserable sports afternoon. 

Edited by MadDog2020

I'll be bummed if they don't chase Panarin hard, they have cap space to burn that's assuming they can spend it all if they choose to.  There's so many holes up and down the lineup they need to make moves for the best ones that make it  to the FA market.  I just don't see us having a meaningful asset to move in big trades.

Unfortunately I fear he ends up in NY.  

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

That’s cause the team has sucked, not because jerseys affect anything. 

Coming from the guy who considers McLeod playing 5 mins in one game “ a good look.” 

LOL, of cause jerseys don't affect anything...but this coincidence is the same kind as noon games vs Islanders. We hardly ever win them.

Pretty much what everyone has said. My biggest things have to do with the way we're making odd puck decisions, passing up shooting lanes,  takes to the net, not closing off what would seem like simple defensive passing lanes, and zone entries. Part of that is our team skill level is below par, but I look at us play and think we're not as bad as this - and I can only think the coaching is to blame. This season is unacceptable, the product is unacceptable, and I think Hynes needs to lose an assistant or two. My vote is Nas/Kowalsky. The D/PP have been not up to par. Time to move on. 

The Blackwood thing really bothered me too today. Hynes talks a lot about bringing kids up and they have to earn their ice time, and 29 earned that start today. From his play on Thursday coupled with KK's overall season + general suckness against Columbus - he deserved to start on home-ice w/last change - against a team he was already familiar with. If you were going to play him in Columbus, why not at home against the same team?

Now, I know Hynes said what he said post-game - about him getting looks now - he must start the next two games to see what he can do. Starting on the road in Boston is a tough ask, but let's see how he does. If he does great, play him Sat. If he doesn't do great, see if he bounces back Saturday. What I don't want to have happen is over thinking it, and starting KK on Thursday because "not the best situation for the rookie." Bullsh!t. If he's in the NHL, he's in the NHL. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devs64 said:

LOL, of cause jerseys don't affect anything...but this coincidence is the same kind as noon games vs Islanders. We hardly ever win them.

The jerseys they wear on the ice make no difference. The one I wear at home watching the game, of course, directly affects the outcome.  

Edited by mfitz804

12 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Pretty much what everyone has said. My biggest things have to do with the way we're making odd puck decisions, passing up shooting lanes,  takes to the net, not closing off what would seem like simple defensive passing lanes, and zone entries. Part of that is our team skill level is below par, but I look at us play and think we're not as bad as this - and I can only think the coaching is to blame. This season is unacceptable, the product is unacceptable, and I think Hynes needs to lose an assistant or two. My vote is Nas/Kowalsky. The D/PP have been not up to par. Time to move on. 

The Blackwood thing really bothered me too today. Hynes talks a lot about bringing kids up and they have to earn their ice time, and 29 earned that start today. From his play on Thursday coupled with KK's overall season + general suckness against Columbus - he deserved to start on home-ice w/last change - against a team he was already familiar with. If you were going to play him in Columbus, why not at home against the same team?

Now, I know Hynes said what he said post-game - about him getting looks now - he must start the next two games to see what he can do. Starting on the road in Boston is a tough ask, but let's see how he does. If he does great, play him Sat. If he doesn't do great, see if he bounces back Saturday. What I don't want to have happen is over thinking it, and starting KK on Thursday because "not the best situation for the rookie." Bullsh!t. If he's in the NHL, he's in the NHL. 

100%. Their decision making makes me sick. Even teams we beat or outplay often seem to manage the puck better. At this point of the season I think it's the coaching.

53 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Eh, great player but I feel like that money would be better spent on a second top 6 C or a top pairing D 

Like who though? Is there going to be a better FA available this summer?

He would instantly rival Palms as the best goal scorer on the team. 

54 minutes ago, titans04 said:

I'll be bummed if they don't chase Panarin hard, they have cap space to burn that's assuming they can spend it all if they choose to.  There's so many holes up and down the lineup they need to make moves for the ones that it the FA market.  I just don't see us having a meaningful asset to move in big trades.

Unfortunately I fear he ends up in NY.  

We are not an attractive team in the market unless we start to consistently make playoffs and not get knocked out in the first round. Still hoping Ray will find the way to get us some talent.

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Like who though? Is there going to be a better FA available this summer?

He would instantly rival Palms as the best goal scorer on the team. 

Skinner and Simmonds. If we could get both...The FA market actually looks impressive for a team with a ton of money to spend.

• Like 1