Sign in to follow this  
eaglejelly

GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils 12/29/18, 1:00 pm

Huge game by blackwood in a must win situation... NUGGETS!

Draft picks winning games for us... nice

Edited by EdgeControl

Zacha led the team in SOG again too...

edit: nvm tied Palms with 4

Edited by Nicomo

Love the early games. Got to watch this with my son (he is still only 20 months , but he likes to clap and point) . 

Zacha could have not scored today and I still would have been impressed. He is working very hard in all situations and not making stupid plays. 

He was also making his PP unit tick as well. 

Also I really, really don't want to get too excited about BigMac , but he looks so assured out there. Also he seems like a nice guy. Level headed and aware of what he has to do going forward.

Also that slapper from Greene at the end was Rolstonesque, love it. 

• Like 2

Love what we are seeing out of Blackwood. The Devils needed a big solid goalie who is technically sound. Trusting that your goalie can make a save helps everyone and they just didn't have that with KK and Cory. Hopefully Mac can keep this up for a bit. 

• Like 4

RECAP

• PROS
    • Zacha once again was a beast.
      • For all the criticism he gets, he's probably equally as impactful defensively as Barzal is offensively.
    • Andy Greene has really been good all year, and today was no exception.
      • I haven't seen a player get more undeserved hate than Greene has this year.
      • Even Lovejoy's hate wasn't nearly as unwarranted as Greene's hate this year.
    • Blackwood
      • The GI call was correct.
      • Williams had no business being in the crease, and the contact he made was enough contact to get that goal waved off.
  • CONS
    • Nothing major except for the two times Aho got free.
    • Also a couple of the penalties were unnecessary.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE

• Obviously they were excellent today.

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 41 to 47
  • FF: 32 to 36
  • SF: 19 to 30
  • SCF: 15 to 14
  • HDCF: 7 to 8

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 40.47 to 47.32
  • FF: 31.4 to 36.33
  • SF: 18.69 to 30.32
  • SCF: 14.48 to 14.41
  • HDCF: 6.66 to 8.28
  • Like 4

Screenshot_20181229-205717.thumb.jpg.b5023b39a88de0c12d15c97302cfd162.jpg

Can't take any credit for this. Just can't remember how to share a tweet. This was by a guy called Keviningraphics

• Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He definitely did. And it doesn’t take much in the crease. 

Fair enough. But if that was a call that had gone against the Devils I would of been moaning like hell about it. Rightly or wrongly. 

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Love what we are seeing out of Blackwood. The Devils needed a big solid goalie who is technically sound. Trusting that your goalie can make a save helps everyone and they just didn't have that with KK and Cory. Hopefully Mac can keep this up for a bit. 

Confidence in the goaltender goes a long way.

12 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I haven't seen a player get more undeserved hate than Greene has this year.

I feel like Zacha gets a ton of undeserved hate. Last game, he was arguably the best player and there were a lot of negative comments. Greene is an easy scapegoat due to being an underperforming captain, but he has also had his fair share of bad plays, in my opinion.

48 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Mfitz saw a Zacha goal, an Andy Greene goal, a video review that went in the Devils favor, and an empty net goal. 

AND a unicorn. 

And Zachas first assist of the season. Mfitz really is a lucky charm.....

Damn...what else is there to say when you get a goal (and an ASSIST?!) from Zacha, a goal from Greene, and a kid goalie who actually seems to have a little something going on?  Some embrace the tank, but I'd like to see some fight to try to hang around for a while.  

LGMFD!!!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

ZACHA GOT AN ASSIST

Bloody hell you're right. I didn't realise that.  First of the season.

7 minutes ago, nessus said:

I feel like Zacha gets a ton of undeserved hate. Last game, he was arguably the best player and there were a lot of negative comments. Greene is an easy scapegoat due to being an underperforming captain, but he has also had his fair share of bad plays, in my opinion.

Zacha has only had points in 5 games out of 32GP. Hate, frustration, whatever you want to call it he’s deserved it for the most part. 

We have players like Zajac, Coleman, and Nico who are just as good defensively, but also put up points. So at some point people get tired of giving atta boys and participation trophies. We need results. 

With that said, the last couple games have been encouraging. 

4 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

And Zachas first assist of the season. Mfitz really is a lucky charm.....

He saw so much crazy stuff the shutout wasn’t even mentioned. 

• Like 2

Captain Hindsight commenting late here but no surprises today really aside from just...the Devils winning.

I have hated on Zacha consistently. But he looked good against the Bruins. Better than he ever has even in games where he scored. That game was the first time he ever looked like a real player to me. So, he's feeling good, not surprised he got two points today. It'll take a long time of this play before the expectation goes away that he will just disappear for half seasons at a time but things are looking up.

Same compliments for Blackwood as last game. Calm, cool, and collected. Stays up, very patient, very athletic. Good signs all around. Hockey gods might have blessed us with a miracle after his ECHL demotion last year.

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Mfitz saw a Zacha goal, an Andy Greene goal, a video review that went in the Devils favor, and an empty net goal. 

AND a unicorn. 

AND a shutout in our favor??

The thing about Zacha's goal is that, as Daneyko pointed out, he stuck with it.  He didn't give up on the play once the shot was stopped; he read the puck off the goalie's pad and managed to stick in the rebound.  That's not something we've seen a ton of from Zacha, and it's probably his biggest flaw - when he has time to read and react, he's okay, but when faced with quick decisions, he makes mistakes.  He's had two excellent games in a row and his best games now are better than his best games a year ago.  That's why I still hold out hope for him even as the numbers aren't there - he's clearly improving, even as his play will backslide.

The breakaways against need to be fixed.  Blackwood played great - Carolina whiffed some big chances as well.  Devils missed some great chances too.  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Triumph said:

The thing about Zacha's goal is that, as Daneyko pointed out, he stuck with it.  He didn't give up on the play once the shot was stopped; he read the puck off the goalie's pad and managed to stick in the rebound.  That's not something we've seen a ton of from Zacha, and it's probably his biggest flaw - when he has time to read and react, he's okay, but when faced with quick decisions, he makes mistakes.  He's had two excellent games in a row and his best games now are better than his best games a year ago.  That's why I still hold out hope for him even as the numbers aren't there - he's clearly improving, even as his play will backslide.

The breakaways against need to be fixed.  Blackwood played great - Carolina whiffed some big chances as well.  Devils missed some great chances too.  

This is really well put.

That said, I feel like I saw Zacha have like...an impulse to give up on the play for a quick second before following thru.

10 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

This is really well put.

That said, I feel like I saw Zacha have like...an impulse to give up on the play for a quick second before following thru.

The only explanation is he saw me in the stands and he did it to spite me. Only possibility that makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Mind if I steal this for future use? It made my day along with the kid getting the SO.

• Like 1