GDT: Canucks @ Devils 12/31/18, 1:00 pm

eaglejelly

Wow...Blackwood apparently wants to be the new "Time To Make the Doughnuts" guy.  Fun and much-needed from-out-of-nowhere story in a season that looked like it was going off the rails all too soon.  

And of course, always a nice surprise when Zacha scores.  Hoping for lots more surprises...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Well. I think we all know what needs to happen. We all must pool together and get MFitz season tickets and a lifetime supply of socks. 

And airline tickets so he can follow them on the road...and he should probably keep wearing the same magical pair...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Aznjsn said:

Great fking team win. The team looks so much more confident in front of MB29

They really do.  Not sure that's the sole reason, or if it has anything to do with Hall being out as well, but they really do seem confident.  Whatever the reason, it's good to see, and I hope they keep it up.  Very solid 60 minute effort, great to see guys like Boyle and Zacha contributing with goals, and everyone knows I'm a sucker when the defense chips in too, awesome shot by Vats.  Again, very pleased with the PK too, and major props to Severson for standing up for Blackwood at the end there.  Really shows the solidarity this team has.

We still have a lot of work to do in the standings, but things certainly seem on the up and up lately.  Excited for what 2019 might bring.  Happy New Year boys, here's to a healthy and happy new year for all.

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

is it safe to say we have a future with Blackwood yet?

Wedgewood looked quite good in his first short sample with the Devils too.  Doesn't mean that my fingers aren't bruised from crossing them really REALLY hard though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

They really do.  Not sure that's the sole reason, or if it has anything to do with Hall being out as well, but they really do seem confident.  Whatever the reason, it's good to see, and I hope they keep it up.  Very solid 60 minute effort, great to see guys like Boyle and Zacha contributing with goals, and everyone knows I'm a sucker when the defense chips in too, awesome shot by Vats.  Again, very pleased with the PK too, and major props to Severson for standing up for Blackwood at the end there.  Really shows the solidarity this team has.

We still have a lot of work to do in the standings, but things certainly seem on the up and up lately.  Excited for what 2019 might bring.  Happy New Year boys, here's to a healthy and happy new year for all.

Sole reason? A sock pun in this thread for mfitz!? I see what you did there. 😎

BTW MB29 just broke one of MB30's records:  youngest goalie in franchise history to record back-to-back shutouts.  MB29 did it at 22 years, 22 days...MB30 pulled off the feat at 22 years, 338 days.  

Congrats kid!!!

• Like 1

RECAP

• Pros
    • It feels odd to say they stole a game that ended up 4-0, but they managed to steal this game
      • But we've been on the other side far too often
    • We're proving that this team is more than just Hall.
    • They actually kept the PP simple, and set up simple shots / one timers!
      • Neither of the 2 PP goals were from high danger areas on the ice, so it shows the value in getting hard shots on net.
    • Miles Wood is looking like the Miles Wood of last year.
    • Another strong game from Greene and Lovejoy
    • Zacha with another goal
    • Defensemen getting points
    • I hate the "keep everything to the outside" philosophy, but if you're gonna use that mentality they played it really well today.
  • Cons
    • The 2nd period was bad
      • It's a bad idea to let the other team possess the puck at will along the boards and at the points.
    • The first line was relatively quiet

GOALIE AND DEFENSE

• I thought they did a great job protecting Blackwood today.
  • More a team shutout than a goalie shutout imo, but man do you see the difference between a team with good goaltending as opposed to bad goaltending?

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 32 to 47
  • FF: 24 tp 33
  • SF: 15 to 22
  • SCF: 15 to 21
  • HDCF: 7 to 6

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 33.4 to 44.1
  • FF: 24.83 to 31.43
  • SF: 15.66 to 21.16
  • SCF: 15.04 to 20.32
  • HDCF: 6.73 to 5.91

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Wedgewood looked quite good in his first short sample with the Devils too.  Doesn't mean that my fingers aren't bruised from crossing them really REALLY hard though...

Shhhhhhhhhh :)

agree and my fingers like yours are permanently crossed.

Great win!