GDT: Canucks @ Devils 12/31/18, 1:00 pm

eaglejelly

30 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Could be very easy for KK to get a little pissed that he's losing playing time to a kid during his contract year.

He's a great teammate, for sure.  If the math works out (and God willing we find someone to take Cory) I wouldn't mind a KK/MB split going forward.

I wouldn’t count on that. 

On 12/31/2018 at 11:51 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Why the KK hatred?  Schneider's been far more of an issue than him...due to that, KK's been overused, and even on days where KK was supposed to be a backup, he couldn't ever take a true mental day, as Cory had reached the point where you didn't know if he was going to make it through so much as the first period, let alone the whole game.  

If there's a criticism to be leveled at KK, it's that based on the last season and a half, it's hard to know exactly what you're going to get from him...he's been awful for some stretches, terrific in others...and that's both as a backup AND a temporary #1. I think if we've learned anything this season, it's that KK should never be seen as anything more than a decent backup who may be able to fill in ably (short term) should your #1 have issues...but you definitely can't count on that for sure.  

Two big questions:

Can Blackwood play so well that the Devils have no choice but to think of him as next season's #1?  Because that domino would obviously knock over several others.

Assuming the Devils would consider buying Cory out, what other UFA goalies are out there that could come in primarily to back up, but can also step in should Blackwood either regress or get injured?  How expensive would a KK replacement/potential upgrade be?  KK should at least not cost too much, in terms of term or money.  You could probably get him on a two-year deal.  

Anyway, LGMFD!!!

I think it is more against the people who deify him for iffy at best play while crucifying Cory at the same time.  Yes Cory has played god awful, but he did give us 3 seasons of elite goaltending while still getting a lukewarm treatment from a fairly large segment of fans who have a deranged belief that he somehow pushed Marty out.  Meanwhile, KK has been at average at best backup for a large part of his career who had a nice 30-40 game run and then has come back down to Earth and is now giving up pretty awful goaltending himself while escaping largely scott free of criticism from those same fans.

I am completely over the fawning of KK and the sooner we move on from him the better.  A replacement for KK comes at a dime a dozen IMO so I am not worried about a replacement for him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think it is more against the people who deify him for iffy at best play while crucifying Cory at the same time.  Yes Cory has played god awful, but he did give us 3 seasons of elite goaltending while still getting a lukewarm treatment from a fairly large segment of fans who have a deranged belief that he somehow pushed Marty out.  Meanwhile, KK has been at average at best backup for a large part of his career who had a nice 30-40 game run and then has come back down to Earth and is now giving up pretty awful goaltending himself while escaping largely scott free of criticism from those same fans.

I am completely over the fawning of KK and the sooner we move on from him the better.  A replacement for KK comes at a dime a dozen IMO so I am not worried about a replacement for him.

I think people appreciated KK stepping up when desperately needed, but I also think most fans are pretty realistic about what he is...and though he hasn't been great himself lately, let's face it, sadly almost ANY goalie is going to look pretty good compared to Cory's last calendar year of work. 

You know those mutant fans (the ones who think Cory pushed Marty out) don't even really register with us.  I don't pay any attention to those idiots. 

KK definitely has limits and as we've been over, you start seeing them more and more if he's being asked to do too much...but the problem is that the KKs are a bit like middling major league bullpen arms...they can be very year to year.  I'm not saying the Devils should absolutely not try to find someone else to fill a similar role to what KK does, but I am saying that the guy who seems like a sure bet to be better might actually do worse, while KK could go somewhere else and play pretty well.  That's why I wonder aloud how much the Devils should be willing to pay for that player, but at the same time, a lot of this kind of speculating is based on feeling very strongly that Blackwood will go into 2019-20 as the guy who wrested the #1 job away from the tandem of KK and Cory...enough so that KK, should he come back, will have a much more clearly defined role than he did since Cory's game deserted him.  Though I myself am not willing to bet on Cory coming back and being the player who was so good during his first three seasons here, the money he has coming to him probably means the Devils are still going to try to get him right...though I'm definitely in the "Buy him out because you get some instant relief and the $2 million dead-money per season hit from 2022-23 to 2024-25 isn't THAT bad" camp, I can understand why the Devils would only want to exercise that option as an absolute last resort (easy for me to say "Go ahead and eat $12 million). 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think people appreciated KK stepping up when desperately needed, but I also think most fans are pretty realistic about what he is...and though he hasn't been great himself lately, let's face it, sadly almost ANY goalie is going to look pretty good compared to Cory's last calendar year of work. 

You know those mutant fans (the ones who think Cory pushed Marty out) don't even really register with us.  I don't pay any attention to those idiots. 

KK definitely has limits and as we've been over, you start seeing them more and more if he's being asked to do too much...but the problem is that the KKs are a bit like middling major league bullpen arms...they can be very year to year.  I'm not saying the Devils should absolutely not try to find someone else to fill a similar role to what KK does, but I am saying that the guy who seems like a sure bet to be better might actually do worse, while KK could go somewhere else and play pretty well.  That's why I wonder aloud how much the Devils should be willing to pay for that player, but at the same time, a lot of this kind of speculating is based on feeling very strongly that Blackwood will go into 2019-20 as the guy who wrested the #1 job away from the tandem of KK and Cory...enough so that KK, should he come back, will have a much more clearly defined role than he did since Cory's game deserted him.  Though I myself am not willing to bet on Cory coming back and being the player who was so good during his first three seasons here, the money he has coming to him probably means the Devils are still going to try to get him right...though I'm definitely in the "Buy him out because you get some instant relief and the $2 million dead-money per season hit from 2022-23 to 2024-25 isn't THAT bad" camp, I can understand why the Devils would only want to exercise that option as an absolute last resort (easy for me to say "Go ahead and eat $12 million). 

while it would suck to eat $12m obviously. If it CAN make the team better... then we have to look at the big picture and realize that we've also saved 15+m for the last few seasons and sucked because of that too. Hard to compete when you have a young team with holes in the lineup and 17m of unused potential you know

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be fair, that is exactly what happened. A young, up and coming Schneider pushed out an old, underperforming Marty. No question Marty would’ve stayed on and retired here if he were permitted to keep the job on his own terms.

Im a huge Marty fan, always have been, but the difference between me and the mutants is, I know it’s exactly what had to happen for the good of the team. 

59 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

while it would suck to eat $12m obviously. If it CAN make the team better... then we have to look at the big picture and realize that we've also saved 15+m for the last few seasons and sucked because of that too. Hard to compete when you have a young team with holes in the lineup and 17m of unused potential you know

Eat $12m or continue to play a guy who has completely lost his ability to compete for the next 2 years. I think that’s an easy choice, especially with cap room. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

They didn't suck last season.  This season is still ongoing, so I can't put it in the suck category yet.  And you don't spend money for the sake of spending it.  I have no problem with Shero not spending heavy on UFAs to date...not like last season's costlier UFAs outside of Tavares or Carlson (who weren't available to the Devils anyway) have made any major impact on their new teams. 

And like I said, I'm fully in favor of Schneider being bought out and the $4 million in cap relief for each of the next three seasons being re-allocated, even with the dead money...but like I said, easy for ME to say that...ain't my $$$$. 

Will be interesting to see if Shero decides to get involved with Karlsson...maybe it's just a random surge, but he's been on a point rampage lately...16 points in his last 10 GP.  He'll be in his Age 29 year next season.  Sign him up for 7 seasons at near max dollars?  If he keeps producing, someone will.  Will also be interesting to see if Shero starts taking a real shot at some of the top UFAs (like Panarin)...he's definitely gotten some looks at some of the kids in house, so I'm sure he'll try to be active on the trade front in the offseason (seems to be his preferred MO anyway). 

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

To be fair, that is exactly what happened. A young, up and coming Schneider pushed out an old, underperforming Marty. No question Marty would’ve stayed on and retired here if he were permitted to keep the job on his own terms.

Im a huge Marty fan, always have been, but the difference between me and the mutants is, I know it’s exactly what had to happen for the good of the team. 

But the mutants think that Cory somehow screwed Marty over, when it simply came down to the fact that Marty was clearly no longer in his prime, and the new guy was a far superior puckstopper.  Of course those same mutants would then point out that Marty (with his 2.50 GAA and .900ish save%) knew how to "win", and was somehow better than the guy with the 2.00 GAA and .920+ save%.  That was a tough year to take...especially since even the HC (and I suspect GM) kept giving Marty undeserved White Knight treatment every time Cory dared to have an iffy game or two. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Those mutants are a pretty loud segment of Devils fans on social media outside of njdevs.  In particular on Twitter and FB they have been pretty vocal about how much they hate Cory and how they would rather have that 9th overall pick back and a few have even admitted they only hate him because they believe he drove out Marty.  The derangement has gone so far as to where these idiots are crapping on Cory when he is not even playing or hasn't played in weeks.  They also treat his win in the playoffs (the only win we had this past playoff) as if it never happened or didn't count.

It's really insane, stupid, and just plain tiring of seeing this happening to a player on their supposed favorite team.  I never liked Clarkson, Tootoo, Blandisi or S. Gionta but I didn't go into that level of derangement.

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But the mutants think that Cory somehow screwed Marty over, when it simply came down to the fact that Marty was clearly no longer in his prime, and the new guy was a far superior puckstopper.  Of course those same mutants would then point out that Marty (with his 2.50 GAA and .900ish save%) knew how to "win", and was somehow better than the guy with the 2.00 GAA and .920+ save%.  That was a tough year to take...especially since even the HC (and I suspect GM) kept giving Marty undeserved White Knight treatment every time Cory dared to have an iffy game or two. 

Right, that's how I differentiate myself. He did push him out, but rightfully so and it had to happen. 

25 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

In particular on Twitter and FB they have been pretty vocal about how much they hate Cory and how they would rather have that 9th overall pick back 

Schneider for Horvat, the trade is one for one.

I'd do that all day long at this point, even though he manages to have a stupider sounding name than "Cory Schneider", which ain't easy. 

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Those mutants are a pretty loud segment of Devils fans on social media outside of njdevs.  In particular on Twitter and FB they have been pretty vocal about how much they hate Cory and how they would rather have that 9th overall pick back and a few have even admitted they only hate him because they believe he drove out Marty.  The derangement has gone so far as to where these idiots are crapping on Cory when he is not even playing or hasn't played in weeks.  They also treat his win in the playoffs (the only win we had this past playoff) as if it never happened or didn't count.

It's really insane, stupid, and just plain tiring of seeing this happening to a player on their supposed favorite team.  I never liked Clarkson, Tootoo, Blandisi or S. Gionta but I didn't go into that level of derangement.

Too many fans and people simply cannot be rational and think straight when it comes to something they believe. They often adopt wtv belief and stick to it cause that's what they WANT to believe and are unwilling to challenge that idea or listen to anything that goes against it.

You then basically have an "extremist" view on the matter and as we all know... extremists are always sh!t. 

I think idiots crapping on Schneider when he is not even playing is like fans chanting Rangers sucks when we're playing Arizona. It's just lame.

To me where i'm giving a slack on Cory is that... it's not his fault. If he got injured, sucked and couldn't recover... he sure tried but couldn't. I'm sure he was not throwing tantrums to get back on the ice and let the coaches handle the situation.

BUT in cases like that where decisions are made, like... him lying about his situation or being selfish... then bring the team down because of that and that we're still feeling the effects down the road even if he's not playing... then i have a problem. But i don't think it's the case for Cory, hopefully not

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Schneider for Horvat, the trade is one for one.

I'd do that all day long at this point, even though he manages to have a stupider sounding name than "Cory Schneider", which ain't easy. 

Problem is... sure in hindsight with that 9th pick and better picks the next few seasons... on paper we could be better... and have Bo Harvat.

But let's not forget that Lou and Conte were in control of that draft pick... it's fair to assume based on history that they would not have made the right decision there either

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I think idiots crapping on Schneider when he is not even playing is like fans chanting Rangers sucks when we're playing Arizona. It's just lame.

I realized at the last game I am really tired of that. I mean really, they aren't even relevant right now, why even mention them at this point?

So too am I tired of the Flyers Swallow thing. It's really not even that creative. And as much as I am not thinking about the Rangers, I'm DEFINITELY not thinking about the Flyers. Its just cringeworthy and sad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Problem is... sure in hindsight with that 9th pick and better picks the next few seasons... on paper we could be better... and have Bo Harvat.

But let's not forget that Lou and Conte were in control of that draft pick... it's fair to assume based on history that they would not have made the right decision there either

I just re-checked that draft, and there's like 4-5 guys after Horvat that I would've liked to select also. And Conte and Lou probably wouldn't have taken any of them lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I realized at the last game I am really tired of that. I mean really, they aren't even relevant right now, why even mention them at this point?

So too am I tired of the Flyers Swallow thing. It's really not even that creative. And as much as I am not thinking about the Rangers, I'm DEFINITELY not thinking about the Flyers. Its just cringeworthy and sad. 

I know those people are telling themselves that they are doing something right cause it's something against rivals teams... so "obviously" i can't be wrong

truth is, acting like that is 200% rooted in insecurity and suffering from an inferiority complex. Which is sad and cringeworthy as you said

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I just re-checked that draft, and there's like 4-5 guys after Horvat that I would've liked to select also. And Conte and Lou probably wouldn't have taken any of them lol.

Who was big, tall, slow, with hands of stones, with limited production but good 2 way player in the top 20 that year? lol

13 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I know those people are telling themselves that they are doing something right cause it's something against rivals teams... so "obviously" i can't be wrong

truth is, acting like that is 200% rooted in insecurity and suffering from an inferiority complex. Which is sad and cringeworthy as you said

It's not as much the above as it is the people who insist on starting the chant have no sense of situations and/or timing.  No, don't start the chant when the Devils are losing that night's game 4-0.  No, don't start that crap when the Rangers are nothing special yet you're BEHIND them in the standings.  I think more "dumb/clueless" than "insecure".  Those same idiots would start RS/FS/CW even if the Rangers were 20 points ahead of the Devils.  And they definitely fall into the "mutant" category. 

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's not as much the above as it is the people who insist on starting the chant have no sense of situations and/or timing.  No, don't start the chant when the Devils are losing that night's game 4-0.  No, don't start that crap when the Rangers are nothing special yet you're BEHIND them in the standings.  I think more "dumb/clueless" than "insecure".  Those same idiots would start RS/FS/CW even if the Rangers were 20 points ahead of the Devils.  And they definitely fall into the "mutant" category. 

Definitely. Only one very weak one at Monday’s game. 

At Saturday’s game, Kid’s Day, I was right near one of the mutants who did the whole thing, including “Kane’s a rapist” which was fun to explain away to an 11 year old.