Road trip

point

OK, the Devils have to turn around abysmal road work. NOW! Starting with this trip. 4-12-3 is a big reason they are where they are in the standings. 11 out of 38 possible points. Sure, there have been a crazy number of back to back road games, highlighting KK's need for breaks, but Hynes and crew need to turn this record around.

21 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

They need 4 of these next 6  which is very doable... to keep the season alive and moving. 

At least that.  They've really dug themselves quite the hole, unfortunately.  They need a real .750 - .800 point% over 20 games or so kind of tear to really start to force their way back to relevancy again (being largely  awful for a 31-game stretch comes with a painful price).  If one wants to consider this three-game winning streak a potential start of such a run, then the Devils will need at least 24 points over their next 17 games to make it happen.  So 12-5-0, 11-4-2, 10-3-4, etc.  Much work to be done...maybe too much.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least that.  They've really dug themselves quite the hole, unfortunately.  They need a real .750 - .800 point% over 20 games or so kind of tear to really start to force their way back to relevancy again (being largely  awful for a 31-game stretch comes with a painful price).  If one wants to consider this three-game winning streak a potential start of such a run, then the Devils will need at least 24 points over their next 17 games to make it happen.  So 12-5-0, 11-4-2, 10-3-4, etc.  Much work to be done...maybe too much.  

Without a doubt, this small streak is basicaly just keeping their head above water.. they need 8 or 9 points over these next six to keep a miracle in play.. go .500 and the season is over in a week..  then it's tank city... call cory up

They need 60 points in 42 games. The road has been their biggest problem, obviously. Veteran players really have to get this crew to understand how to deal with road issues, not just let them think, yeah, well, we are on the road, it's a STILL A LOSS!

This road trip will really show what this team is made of and whether or not they actually want a shot at the playoffs and are willing to fight for it.  The Stars are by no means an amazing team, and we already beat them once this year - just need to take care of business and get the road trip started off right.  The Yotes should also be a fairly easy team to beat - they started off strong but have fallen back to their typical ways.  The really tough stretch will be an early start in Vegas, followed by the Sabres and Leafs.  Come back home after this road trip with a matinee against the sh!thead Flyers and then the awful Hawks should be two more games we can get wins from.  The good news about the next several games is that it's basically set up for some massive consistency for us and about as good as can be expected - no back to backs, and literally playing every other day.  Hopefully the boys get into a rhythm and are in a good mood ready to take the nose to the grindstone here on this road trip to start the new year. 

22 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm torn.  I want to see the team win first and foremost, but the absolute worst thing would be for the Devils to rally and win just enough games to get the bubble and.. not make it into the playoffs.

We just don't need to be drafting 10+ overall.. and to be honest, I just don't think this team has the capability of hitting the required pace you mentioned above.

38 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Just win and let the chips fall where they may with lotteries, trade deadlines, whatever. Carolina and Philly both did well in the lottery from deep in the pack recently, maybe we can do the same if we don't make the playoffs. I'd still prefer playoff hockey.

I always agree with this, I am opposed to any kind of tanking. Play your ass off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm torn.  I want to see the team win first and foremost, but the absolute worst thing would be for the Devils to rally and win just enough games to get the bubble and.. not make it into the playoffs.

We just don't need to be drafting 10+ overall.. and to be honest, I just don't think this team has the capability of hitting the required pace you mentioned above.

My whole beef is that tanking should happen organically...in this case, that would be if Nico, Hall, and Palms (or a couple of other more key players) all suffered long-term injuries, or if Blackwood slumped big-time after this hot start (and the Devils simply had no one else to turn to in net in 2018-19 to carry them). 

There's plenty of players here who should be trying their best to win now...I would never want to see them do otherwise...especially since it's not like a lottery pick guarantees anything (of course Nolan Patrick is still very young, but he hasn't exactly lit it up to date...and plenty of other high-pick busts through the years). 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am conflicted.  Do I want them to be miserable the rest of the way to have a better shot at a higher draft pick or do I want to see some interesting hockey over the next 2-4 months?

Personally, I’m not built that way. I have 32 years invested in rooting for my team. I can’t flip a switch and root against them for a better draft pick. Just can’t. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally, I’m not built that way. I have 32 years invested in rooting for my team. I can’t flip a switch and root against them for a better draft pick. Just can’t. 

The Devils have provided me with contending or at least playoff-worthy hockey for a majority of my hockey watching life (I was born in 84 and went to my first game in 89).  I feel like I have enough patience in me to go through another 2-4 years of suckage if that means another 5-10 years of success afterwards.  I would hate to do the perpetually good but never great dance forever.  I think the Devils need to bottom out for at least another year or two before they can climb out of that.

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Devils have provided me with contending or at least playoff-worthy hockey for a majority of my hockey watching life (I was born in 84 and went to my first game in 89).  I feel like I have enough patience in me to go through another 2-4 years of suckage if that means another 5-10 years of success afterwards.  I would hate to do the perpetually good but never great dance forever.  I think the Devils need to bottom out for at least another year or two before they can climb out of that.

I have that patience as well, but just for our usual suckage, not intentional suckage.