GDT: Devils @ Stars 1/2/19, 8:30 pm

eaglejelly

RECAP

• PROS
    • Zajac was good
    • Palmieri was good
    • 4th line looked good
  • CONS
    • Miles Wood deserves to either be benched or suspended for that awful penalty.
      • It was incredibly late 
      • the coaching staff has not done enough to reel him in.
    • This is all on the coaching staff and their god awful coaching philopsophy.
      • Containment and zone defenses do not work in the NHL!
        • Gliding into the pointmen is BAD!
        • Gliding to the boards is BAD!
        • Not pursuing the puck when it's loose along the boards is BAD!
        • Keeping the puck to the perimeter is BAD!
        • THE KEY TO PLAYING DEFENSE PROPERLY IS CONSTANT PRESSURE ON THEIR PUCK CARRIER
        • THE IDEA IS TO GET THE PUCK OUT OF YOUR ZONE
        • IT'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN JUST PROTECTING THE FRONT OF THE NET
        • FUNNY THING IS, GOOD COACHES ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH PRESSURE THE PUCK AND KEEP THE FRONT OF THE NET CLEAN
        • WHY DOES HYNES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH?
      • Hanging on to the puck and relying on skill plays do not work in the NHL!
        • Simple plays like chipping the puck in and out, creating 50 50 puck races, shooting the puck, is the proper way to play with the puck in this league
    • Why did Bratt not fire that puck on net when he had possession of it at the end of the game?
    • Players deserve tons of blame too
      • Why are those cross ice passes and backdoor passes getting through?
      • They were awful with their sticks and positioning in this game defensively.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE

• Goal 1
    • Zacha did a bad job on Benn
    • Blackwood had no chance
  • Goal 2
    • Blackwood got embarrassed there
    • He needs to be a bit more steady and rely on his size.
  • Goal 3
    • No excuse for that pass to get to Seguin
    • No chance for Blackwood
  • Goal 4
    • No excuse for Seguin to be that open
    • Stoppable, but would have been a highlight reel save
  • Goal 5
    • Absolutely deplorable that Heiskanen was able to just walk in like that
    • Stoppable, but again would have required a highlight save.

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 35 to 47
  • FF: 27 to 33
  • SF: 23 to 31
  • SCF: 20 to 27
  • HDCF: 10 to 14

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 33.7 to 46.23
  • FF: 26.36 to 32.12
  • SF: 22.39 to 30.17
  • SCF: 19.79 to 25.94
  • HDCF: 10.07 to 13.19

33 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I have nothing good to say about the team tonight.

this is the worst defensive Devils team I have ever watched in my entire life, and I place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Ray Shero.

Cap space is an asset. When you don’t utilize it, it’s an unused asset. You can’t convince me that it’s not worth it to overpay for a few years of deHaan or Moore. You can’t convince me you couldn’t have acquired a single fvcking defenseman with a pulse this offseason. 

Santini is comically bad. Andy Greene is a healthy scratch on most AHL teams. Micro Mueller at least looked like he played hockey for a living, unlike most of these fvcking scrubs. 

This team will not win a playoff series for a long, long, long fvcking time. 

There is nothing bright about the future of this franchise except for the fact that maybe I can stop wasting so much energy on them. 

Did you even watch the game?

Bleh.  I hate the righty-righty pairings.  If Greene's out at all, I assume we will see more of them - Mueller will draw in, but we'll be seeing another R-R pairing.

This team is going to struggle on the road without Hall, but I wish they could do so without shooting themselves a bit - the Devils are usually pretty good off faceoffs but they were awful tonight.

I have to confess I am curious what Hynes would do without Greene in the lineup and how good the Devils would play without him.

I knew Blackwood was a bust, I was only saying the other day that he should change his name so his initils didn't bring shame to the great image of Martin Brodeur. Glad I didn't invest all my hopes and dreams in him winning every game with a shutout for the rest of the season. Just proud of myself for keeping a level head about his play. 

7 hours ago, Mike Brown said:

RECAP

• PROS
    • Zajac was good
    • Palmieri was good
    • 4th line looked good
  • CONS
    • Miles Wood deserves to either be benched or suspended for that awful penalty.
      • It was incredibly late 
      • the coaching staff has not done enough to reel him in.
    • This is all on the coaching staff and their god awful coaching philopsophy.
      • Containment and zone defenses do not work in the NHL!
        • Gliding into the pointmen is BAD!
        • Gliding to the boards is BAD!
        • Not pursuing the puck when it's loose along the boards is BAD!
        • Keeping the puck to the perimeter is BAD!
        • THE KEY TO PLAYING DEFENSE PROPERLY IS CONSTANT PRESSURE ON THEIR PUCK CARRIER
        • THE IDEA IS TO GET THE PUCK OUT OF YOUR ZONE
        • IT'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN JUST PROTECTING THE FRONT OF THE NET
        • FUNNY THING IS, GOOD COACHES ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH PRESSURE THE PUCK AND KEEP THE FRONT OF THE NET CLEAN
        • WHY DOES HYNES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH?
      • Hanging on to the puck and relying on skill plays do not work in the NHL!
        • Simple plays like chipping the puck in and out, creating 50 50 puck races, shooting the puck, is the proper way to play with the puck in this league
    • Why did Bratt not fire that puck on net when he had possession of it at the end of the game?
    • Players deserve tons of blame too
      • Why are those cross ice passes and backdoor passes getting through?
      • They were awful with their sticks and positioning in this game defensively.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE

• Goal 1
    • Zacha did a bad job on Benn
    • Blackwood had no chance
  • Goal 2
    • Blackwood got embarrassed there
    • He needs to be a bit more steady and rely on his size.
  • Goal 3
    • No excuse for that pass to get to Seguin
    • No chance for Blackwood
  • Goal 4
    • No excuse for Seguin to be that open
    • Stoppable, but would have been a highlight reel save
  • Goal 5
    • Absolutely deplorable that Heiskanen was able to just walk in like that
    • Stoppable, but again would have required a highlight save.

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 35 to 47
  • FF: 27 to 33
  • SF: 23 to 31
  • SCF: 20 to 27
  • HDCF: 10 to 14

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 33.7 to 46.23
  • FF: 26.36 to 32.12
  • SF: 22.39 to 30.17
  • SCF: 19.79 to 25.94
  • HDCF: 10.07 to 13.19

I’m happy this wasn’t “the defense was actually good”, but I have to disagree with blaming it all on coaching. I mean, leaving star players unattended in the slot isn’t actually their defensive “system”. Those are missed plays by the players. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This was a tough loss.  On one hand I commend them on the comeback, albeit falling short and giving up the lead sort of late again, so technically I'm inclined to say they didn't deserve a point, but at the same time you're without your star player again, on the road, and playing a decent team, one that was motivated by pretty harsh comments from their owner and ring leader, so it's not all that surprising that we came up short.  With that said, Blackwood was awesome, the defense was terrible, and the offense was pretty good.  PP was OK but failed when we needed it most.  PK was pretty damn good again.

If I'm Hynes I go with Blackwood again tomorrow, hopefully against an easier/lesser opponent and we get another win, and then I go with KK in Vegas on Sunday.  Short rest since the game is late Friday and then the Sunday game is early, plus Mac deserves a bit of a break, especially since he's been taking quite a few shots each game.  Don't wanna tire him out too quickly.

I thought 29 was great. You can get nitpicky if you'd like, but he's 22 and was the only reason the team was in the game. He'll have things to work on. I'm not opposed to him sitting on Friday not because of play, but because lots of work last couple weeks, travel and we'll need Keith to play better in general - so what the hell. Play 29 in vegas..

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I thought 29 was great. You can get nitpicky if you'd like, but he's 22 and was the only reason the team was in the game. He'll have things to work on. I'm not opposed to him sitting on Friday not because of play, but because lots of work last couple weeks, travel and we'll need Keith to play better in general - so what the hell. Play 29 in vegas..

The only reason I go with Blackwood tomorrow is because I think it's the better of the two games for us to have a chance to win, and I would prefer to keep his confidence high.  KK isn't exactly a bonafide starter himself, but obviously he's way more a veteran, so I throw him out there against Vegas - he'll be very rested at that point, and hopefully eager to play.  I don't wanna subject Blackwood to Vegas yet - they've been playing well, and our defense is too suspect right now.  Put Yakolev back in the lineup, maybe even Mueller for Lovejoy (not gonna happen, unfortunately), and see how they do first.

48 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

He had his moments, and he certainly was hung out to dry several times. That said, an .875 save percentage for the game isn't exactly something to write home about. 

The feeling I am left with is that it would have been 7 or 8 goals scored had either of our other goalies been in the net. So to that extent, I am very happy with the way Blackwood played. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He had his moments, and he certainly was hung out to dry several times. That said, an .875 save percentage for the game isn't exactly something to write home about. 

The feeling I am left with is that it would have been 7 or 8 goals scored had either of our other goalies been in the net. So to that extent, I am very happy with the way Blackwood played. 

How sad is it that .875 is still better than both Cory’s and KK’s last starts...

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Looks like those socks can be washed now 😣

23 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is a little silly, no? The sample size we saw last night, the amount of chances, high risk, you're going based on a save percentage stat?

• Like 1

Hard to watch the defense last night without physically cringing.  

I wonder if their players were like.. in disbelief at how easy it was to drive towards the front of the net.

Brutal game from Vats.  I still like that trade a lot in hindsight, but man does he need an anchor as his pair to help him out.

25 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

This is a little silly, no? The sample size we saw last night, the amount of chances, high risk, you're going based on a save percentage stat?

Yeah that's a classic case of numbers not telling the whole story. While I'm well aware that Mac can't play at the level of his first few starts forever and will eventually have a stinker, I don't think last night was that come down at all. He did as well as could be expected. I mean damn, 25 of the first 27 shots of the whole game were at him. 

Side note: Macs coverage low is fantastic. He really gets down and spreads across quick. He basically forces shooters to take the extra instant to lift the puck in a scramble.  

Edited by Devil Dan 56

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This bolded is off-base...no goalie was putting up a .900 save% or better last night with the way the Devils played.  If anything any number of goalies would have been well UNDER .875 given the mess in front of Mac.  That's a case of .875 being really friggin' good, under the circumstances. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah that's a classic case of numbers not telling the whole story. While I'm well aware that Mac can't play at the level of his first few starts forever and will eventually have a stinker, I don't think last night was that come down at all. He did as well as could be expected. I mean damn, 25 of the first 27 shots of the whole game were at him. 

Side note: Macs coverage low is fantastic. He really gets down and spreads across quick. He basically forces shooters to take the extra instant to lift the puck in a scramble.  

The only thing I'll nit pick is when the play goes behind the net, he gets super low, pads on the ice, seems not in best position if puck comes out quickly (we saw that last night) but I've noticed that in recent games.

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I’m not saying it was the whole story, clearly it wasn’t. Defensive failure was. He didn’t stink. 

2 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Agreed, it should've finished 9-1 last night, we had no business being in that game. Blackwood was rattling off saves through the early part of the 2nd period when it was like 26 (DAL) shots to 2 (NJD) or some absurd sh!t. Blackwood had a good game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

The only thing I'll nit pick is when the play goes behind the net, he gets super low, pads on the ice, seems not in best position if puck comes out quickly (we saw that last night) but I've noticed that in recent games.

Yeah, he's very technically sound but there's gonna be holes to work on. I'm sure Roland Melanson will be working with him a lot going forward. He's making it impossible to be sent down at the moment