Sign in to follow this  
eaglejelly

GDT: Devils @ Stars 1/2/19, 8:30 pm

47 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He had his moments, and he certainly was hung out to dry several times. That said, an .875 save percentage for the game isn't exactly something to write home about. 

The feeling I am left with is that it would have been 7 or 8 goals scored had either of our other goalies been in the net. So to that extent, I am very happy with the way Blackwood played. 

This bolded is off-base...no goalie was putting up a .900 save% or better last night with the way the Devils played.  If anything any number of goalies would have been well UNDER .875 given the mess in front of Mac.  That's a case of .875 being really friggin' good, under the circumstances. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah that's a classic case of numbers not telling the whole story. While I'm well aware that Mac can't play at the level of his first few starts forever and will eventually have a stinker, I don't think last night was that come down at all. He did as well as could be expected. I mean damn, 25 of the first 27 shots of the whole game were at him. 

Side note: Macs coverage low is fantastic. He really gets down and spreads across quick. He basically forces shooters to take the extra instant to lift the puck in a scramble.  

The only thing I'll nit pick is when the play goes behind the net, he gets super low, pads on the ice, seems not in best position if puck comes out quickly (we saw that last night) but I've noticed that in recent games.

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

This is a little silly, no? The sample size we saw last night, the amount of chances, high risk, you're going based on a save percentage stat?

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Yeah that's a classic case of numbers not telling the whole story. While I'm well aware that Mac can't play at the level of his first few starts forever and will eventually have a stinker, I don't think last night was that come down at all. He did as well as could be expected. I mean damn, 25 of the first 27 shots of the whole game were at him. 

Side note: Macs coverage low is fantastic. He really gets down and spreads across quick. He basically forces shooters to take the extra instant to lift the puck in a scramble.  

I’m not saying it was the whole story, clearly it wasn’t. Defensive failure was. He didn’t stink. 

2 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

This is a little silly, no? The sample size we saw last night, the amount of chances, high risk, you're going based on a save percentage stat?

Agreed, it should've finished 9-1 last night, we had no business being in that game. Blackwood was rattling off saves through the early part of the 2nd period when it was like 26 (DAL) shots to 2 (NJD) or some absurd sh!t. Blackwood had a good game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

The only thing I'll nit pick is when the play goes behind the net, he gets super low, pads on the ice, seems not in best position if puck comes out quickly (we saw that last night) but I've noticed that in recent games.

Yeah, he's very technically sound but there's gonna be holes to work on. I'm sure Roland Melanson will be working with him a lot going forward. He's making it impossible to be sent down at the moment

With Mac completely under siege for most of the game  I'll take the .875 save percentage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

With Mac completely under siege for most of the game  I'll take the .875 save percentage. 

Isn’t that KK’s and CS’ current save percentage, combined?

Yeah I can accept that from a rookie, too.

8 hours ago, jagknife said:

Isn’t that KK’s and CS’ current save percentage, combined?

Yeah I can accept that from a rookie, too.

Jags I thought Mac played well in the Stars game, The Stars applied some serious pressure, and our D looked inept. Kinda felt bad for the kid........  I thought he showed great poise.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

Jags I thought Mac played well in the Stars game, The Stars applied some serious pressure, and our D looked inept. Kinda felt bad for the kid........  I thought he showed great poise.

Oh you misunderstood me, I’m thrilled with Mac’s performance. I’m 100% on board the hype train. I was more sh!tting on the other two goalies who you’d expect to do better than a rookie.