John Hynes Signs Extension - Star Ledger

HellOnICE

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/01/devils-give-coach-john-hynes-a-multi-year-extension.html

The most tenured coach in New York/New Jersey professional sportsis going to be sticking around with his team much longer.

The Devils have given John Hynes, who had been under contract through the 2018-19 season, a multi-year extension, according to a team source. The team, which is in the middle of a four-game road trip after losing 5-4 in Dallas on Wednesday night, is expected to announce the news on Thursday morning.

Edited by HellOnICE

I dunno how I feel about this.

on one hand, it’s nice for the players to have something resembling consistency. Hynes also got us to a place we haven’t been in 6 seasons: the post season. Which is nice, plus the Hall and Nico liking him could be a bargaining chip for contract time.

on the other hand, the team this year seemed listless at times. His lineup decisions are suspect at best this year too. If this also means Nasradine is safe for the duration of Hynes’ tenure, I hate this move. 

• Like 1

Completely expected after that interview Ray gave recently. Shero believes in Hynes and it's players that will go before the coach. 

I am fine with this. Ray needs to get his arse in gear and give him a better roster to work with going forward. 

• Like 3

I reckon this was a psychological and tactical move on Shero's part.  Having a coach that expires at season's end, with the current season not going according to plan, could have spelled out an absolute free fall for the team in the 2nd half of the season.  Players would stop playing - especially knowing that perhaps their coach was a lame duck.  Instead, now signing Hynes to an extension, the ownership has backed the coaching staff, which means the players will either have to put up or shut up.  Hynes, in theory, doesn't have to worry about his job.

Now, do I hope that Shero has some kind of "escape clause" in this extension?  Yes.  I sure hope so.   I also think this is "PHASE 1" of trying to get Taylor Hall to extend. 

In my opinion, it's just a façade to confirm Hynes to the team.  Behind the scenes, however, we have no idea what the actual agreement is, or if this was a tactic to get their most prized player re-signed in the summer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Brown said:

I have no issue with this.  He's a good coach, and he gets a lot out of his team.

Says the guy who bitches about the coaching in just about every friggin' GDT...this post is so...YOU. 

36 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Completely expected after that interview Ray gave recently. Shero believes in Hynes and it's players that will go before the coach. 

I am fine with this. Ray needs to get his arse in gear and give him a better roster to work with going forward. 

Sucks when some of your makes sense on-paper moves aren't working (like MoJo, Grabner, Maroon from the standpoint that Shero wanted to keep him, etc).  And then there's guys like Wood and Zacha...maybe they're finally starting to get it going in 2018-19.  And as has been discussed, it was time for some kids to get looks.  I just think it's unfair when it's implied that Ray's somehow been asleep at the wheel...he's been pretty open about his plan, and he's made it clear that it won't involve any short-term pricey quick-fixes at this time.

That being said, there's guys who really shouldn't be part of the plan beyond this season.  Q comes to mind instantly...I know injuries have made room for him at the moment, but that guy is never going to be anything more than an occasional call-up who quickly reminds you why he's only an occasional call-up...one whopping assist in his last 23 GP.  I don't care how "dedicated" he comes into camp next year...certain guys you just move on from.  Really hoping the Devils see the light when it comes to Greene too.

As for extending Hynes, no issue with it.  Shero clearly thinks highly of him, and his players seem to like playing for him...I'm really lost as to what Nas is bringing though.  The D is more talented than they often look on ice.

• Like 4

I'm happy with this, I really feel as though if we fired Hynes we could kiss Taylor Hall goodbye as well. The players love him, and having a consistent guy at the helm helps us build an identity for the team. Also don't think the team has been as bad as they're made out to be, funny thing that we start to win some games now that we have a goalie that's actually making some saves.

18 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I am confused you are a robot who randomly generates sentences to appear sentient. The below-listed are direct quotes only.

This represents ONLY content from your latest twenty two posts. TWENTY TWO POSTS. I stopped because I was laughing too hard. 

• This is all on the coaching staff and their god awful coaching philopsophy
  • the coaching staff has not done enough to reel him in.
  • FUNNY THING IS, GOOD COACHES ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH PRESSURE THE PUCK AND KEEP THE FRONT OF THE NET CLEAN
  • WHY DOES HYNES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH?
  • It is the coaching system that's making them look bad, not their actual play.
  • Coaching lost this game
  • For whatever reason, this coaching staff babies the kids far too much.
  • Vatanen (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure Panarin, he gets a pass to Atkinson for an easy goal.
  • Coleman (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure whoever it was, he gets a pass to Bjorkstrand for an easy goal
  • This is the kind of game that gets coaches fired.
  • The problem isn't the defense.  It's the coaching system.

Mike Brown, aka The Walking Contradiction.

I'm convinced that Mike Brown is actually two people sharing one account - one of them only posts in game day threads and the other in discussion threads like this.

On the topic, I don't think Hynes was/is the problem with the team, but I'm also not convinced he's part of the solution. I think the players like him and play hard for him, and it's important to have some perception of stability moving forward so I don't mind the extension.

2 hours ago, dmann422 said:

I'm convinced that Mike Brown is actually two people sharing one account - one of them only posts in game day threads and the other in discussion threads like this.

On the topic, I don't think Hynes was/is the problem with the team, but I'm also not convinced he's part of the solution. I think the players like him and play hard for him, and it's important to have some perception of stability moving forward so I don't mind the extension.

Mike Brown from the alternate 1985. Where he’s rich, and powerful...and married to your mother. 

• Haha 4

Cool with this if for no other reason than Taylor Hall loves him and we need to do everything we can to retain him.

I think we've all talked enough about the issues with the roster, and I really don't think we're far along enough in the Shero era to grade his drafts fairly since there's still a lot of Conte stink on it. Though the McLeod and Bastian picks aren't looking great, we've also gotten some nice value out of the Jesper Bratt's and Seney's of the world... which is pretty unheard of that we are getting anything from even a single 6th round pick at this young of an age, let alone two of them. Obviously Jesper Boqvist is looking nice as well and Ty Smith looks like a home run, along with the other college dmen in the system. Point being there's been signs that Shero's drafts can find talent, but we're still waiting on a lot of it to get here... and god willing this miserable season will end with a top 3 pick... please... would be nice.

Regardless, I agree with some of the points that have been made over the years that we don't know if he'll be the coach to lead the team to a Cup. I just don't think we're close enough that it even matters. I think continuity is more important in this type of rebuilding time... look at Philly. They fired Hextall and Hakstol and they're still the worst team in the conference right now.

Not to mention, I'd hate for us to fire Hynes and see him scooped up by a team like Philly in the offseason. I'd definitely expect Hynes to get another job after this one. He's clearly very respected in the league.