John Hynes Signs Extension - Star Ledger

HellOnICE

All of his head scratching lineup decisions are now a back burner for me as Something I noticed yesterday and then upon a quick twitter search, I’ve identified as a very disturbing trend: 

“Outworked” is Hynes’ go-to excuse after losses. Now, I know people will point to talent as to why we’re not doing well, but to have such an extreme drop from last year’s performance is abit much. Sure there are many factors including an againg and pathetic defense as well as pee-wee level goaltending, but when your coach keeps saying you got “outworked,” that’s a bigger issue. 

I likened Hynes a few weeks ago to the now former Man United coach Jose Mourinho. The team might not be the best talent wise, but the man couldn’t get anything out of his squad. His message fell on deaf ears and the players really stopped giving a sh!t, even with a few outwardly saying they love the coach and love playing for him. United finally got tired of underperforming, sacked Jose and is now on a 9 game unbeaten run, winning 8 straight until this week.

The parallels are there between Jose and Hynes. Some vocal players love him, but the effort on the ice just isn’t there. Assistant coaches in Hynes’ case should also take a ton of flak, looking at you Nasraddine (just realized there were two D’s in his last name, apparently making up for the lack of D knowledge he coaches with), but Hynes also isn’t forcing adjustments and seems to be grasping at straws for anything resembling an answer.

No fewer than 5 times over December and January did Hynes reach into his bag of excuses and pull out the “outworked” card during a post game interview loss. At what point does someone ask, “okay John, you keep saying they get outworked, but why are you allowing that to happen repeatedly?” Why is it that a team who has the reigning MVP, multiple all-stars and a guy in his second year who’s starting to play like a multi-year vet, getting outworked so often? Do they not care? Is it the system? 

I obviously don’t have the answers, but I can say that if my students underperformed in their training and my excuse remained the same with no changes to result, my bosses would start to ask questions and I’d be in a world of sh!t.

I think Hynes is an alright coach and if you take away his lineup decisions, he’d be a good one, but in this lackluster season, I’m beyond sick of hearing that a coach constantly allows his team to be “outworked”

/rant

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

What is he supposed to say? "We don't have the talent" and throw in the org under the bus. We all know what's going on here. They don't have the talent. Even CHico's been saying it on radio in very soft terms. 

Couldn't agree more. The old saying "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh>t" sort of applies here. We over-performed last year, but, we're better than our record. We have a "D" corps middle of the pack overall, and our fw's are still very young. (13, 63, 37, 44,) Our achilles heal has been goaltending. KK has been good at times, folds others. We're hoping MB 29 saves the day? like Torts, Hynes will protect his players and not call anyone out. (as he should) Relax folks, this aint our year, and Hynes is a good coach. 

1 hour ago, HellOnICE said:

What is he supposed to say? "We don't have the talent" and throw in the org under the bus. We all know what's going on here. They don't have the talent. Even CHico's been saying it on radio in very soft terms. 

Yup, I listen to the post game show on the way home from home games as well and Chico has said it numerous times that the guys played hard but the talent just isn't there. Chico's great to listen to because he say's pretty much whatever he wants lol 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yup, I listen to the post game show on the way home from home games as well and Chico has said it numerous times that the guys played hard but the talent just isn't there. Chico's great to listen to because he say's pretty much whatever he wants lol 

i mean add 15-17 million worth of talent on this team and we'd be fine. The opportunity was just not there to spend it on guys worth paying and who wanted to come here

2 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

If it was just words, itd be easier to swallow, but it’s also the effort. They pack it in far too often. They come out listless too often.

yea the talent isn’t there, and no I’m not looking for Hynes to say “Greene you suck, you’re old. Butcher, you’re having a bad year.”  Et al, but to default to outworked as often as he does is pretty much saying he doesn’t have answers. I feel like he’s saying he can’t get the most out of them and the atmosphere is complacent with underperforming.

He got the most out of this team last year for a good 3/4s of the season (save for that rough patch this time last year). Now this year, he can’t seem to get a great effort out of them for more than 3 games in a row. 

Again, I’m not calling for his job. But the phrase outworked really triggered the sh!t out of me (obviously).

for anyone who cares, my biggest 3 Hynes complaints are: 1) “outworked” 2) the defensive lineup decisions 3) Nasraddine

EDIT: not related, but I also wish I could listen to Chico talk about this team, at least he, from what you and SH said, basically calls this team what it is.

Edited by jagknife

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

Couldn't agree more. The old saying "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh>t" sort of applies here. We over-performed last year, but, we're better than our record. We have a "D" corps middle of the pack overall, and our fw's are still very young. (13, 63, 37, 44,) Our achilles heal has been goaltending. KK has been good at times, folds others. We're hoping MB 29 saves the day? like Torts, Hynes will protect his players and not call anyone out. (as he should) Relax folks, this aint our year, and Hynes is a good coach. 

FWIW when torts calls out a player, it’s usually under the blanket of the entire team pissing him off. Or he generalizes.

45 minutes ago, jagknife said:

FWIW when torts calls out a player, it’s usually under the blanket of the entire team pissing him off. Or he generalizes.

We have no way of knowing if he’s calling out a specific player privately. To do it in the media, like Torts, is ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

If it was just words, itd be easier to swallow, but it’s also the effort. They pack it in far too often. They come out listless too often.

yea the talent isn’t there, and no I’m not looking for Hynes to say “Greene you suck, you’re old. Butcher, you’re having a bad year.”  Et al, but to default to outworked as often as he does is pretty much saying he doesn’t have answers. I feel like he’s saying he can’t get the most out of them and the atmosphere is complacent with underperforming.

He got the most out of this team last year for a good 3/4s of the season (save for that rough patch this time last year). Now this year, he can’t seem to get a great effort out of them for more than 3 games in a row. 

Again, I’m not calling for his job. But the phrase outworked really triggered the sh!t out of me (obviously).

for anyone who cares, my biggest 3 Hynes complaints are: 1) “outworked” 2) the defensive lineup decisions 3) Nasraddine

EDIT: not related, but I also wish I could listen to Chico talk about this team, at least he, from what you and SH said, basically calls this team what it is.

I find Naraddine a puzzling one. The five on five D is awful yet the PK is fantastic. This says to me that it's not the players it's the system they're playing. Why Hynes, Shero or even the players haven't flagged this up is beyond me. Hell, why hasn't Nasraddine himself changed it? So yeah, put Nasraddine top of your list.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

He pretty much did once already making reference to Tampa being a cap team when referencing their talent.

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

I find Naraddine a puzzling one. The five on five D is awful yet the PK is fantastic. This says to me that it's not the players it's the system they're playing. Why Hynes, Shero or even the players haven't flagged this up is beyond me. Hell, why hasn't Nasraddine himself changed it? So yeah, put Nasraddine top of your list.

Something I was just thinking of while the PK was out: maybe the PK is so good cause they’re not expected to move and chase the play much. Meanwhile at 5 on 5 they scramble and once it’s a footrace, it’s game over cause about half can’t keep up on D, maybe?