Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HellOnICE

John Hynes Signs Extension - Star Ledger

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You should probably edit to clarify that he re-signed, not resigned. I thought he quit for a minute. 

This please.  I actually like the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool with this if for no other reason than Taylor Hall loves him and we need to do everything we can to retain him.

I think we've all talked enough about the issues with the roster, and I really don't think we're far along enough in the Shero era to grade his drafts fairly since there's still a lot of Conte stink on it. Though the McLeod and Bastian picks aren't looking great, we've also gotten some nice value out of the Jesper Bratt's and Seney's of the world... which is pretty unheard of that we are getting anything from even a single 6th round pick at this young of an age, let alone two of them. Obviously Jesper Boqvist is looking nice as well and Ty Smith looks like a home run, along with the other college dmen in the system. Point being there's been signs that Shero's drafts can find talent, but we're still waiting on a lot of it to get here... and god willing this miserable season will end with a top 3 pick... please... would be nice.

Regardless, I agree with some of the points that have been made over the years that we don't know if he'll be the coach to lead the team to a Cup. I just don't think we're close enough that it even matters. I think continuity is more important in this type of rebuilding time... look at Philly. They fired Hextall and Hakstol and they're still the worst team in the conference right now.

Not to mention, I'd hate for us to fire Hynes and see him scooped up by a team like Philly in the offseason. I'd definitely expect Hynes to get another job after this one. He's clearly very respected in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like once ownership extends Shero, Shero has to either fire Hynes or sign him to a new deal.  Failure to do either thing still would suggest Hynes is a lame duck coach - and that's not really a position that's good for anyone.  That said, it's an unusual decision.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I am convinced you are a robot who randomly generates sentences to appear sentient. The below-listed are direct quotes only.

This represents ONLY content from your latest twenty two posts. TWENTY TWO POSTS. I stopped because I was laughing too hard. 

  • This is all on the coaching staff and their god awful coaching philopsophy
  • the coaching staff has not done enough to reel him in.
  • FUNNY THING IS, GOOD COACHES ACTUALLY KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH PRESSURE THE PUCK AND KEEP THE FRONT OF THE NET CLEAN
  • WHY DOES HYNES NOT KNOW HOW TO DO BOTH?
  • It is the coaching system that's making them look bad, not their actual play.
  • Coaching lost this game
  • For whatever reason, this coaching staff babies the kids far too much.
  • Vatanen (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure Panarin, he gets a pass to Atkinson for an easy goal.
  • Coleman (not his fault because of the coaching system) doesn't pressure whoever it was, he gets a pass to Bjorkstrand for an easy goal
  • This is the kind of game that gets coaches fired.
  • The problem isn't the defense.  It's the coaching system.

In a somewhat ironic twist, I took another look at MB's post, and actually considered for a moment "Maybe MB was actually trying to be funny and sarcastic with that comment?"...ya know, kinda like how a "normal" person might roll...if that was the case, then that's a fairly humorous post. 

But then I remembered it was MB...so who the hell can say if he really is endorsing the extension, or genuinely trying to be chuckleworthy. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.. so Hynes is staying put. Can we at least get rid of Nassredine? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

OK.. so Hynes is staying put. Can we at least get rid of Nassredine? 

I am at a complete loss as to how the Devils can look so easily hapless and overwhelmed...and sometimes it's all over the ice.  Greene is bad and really should not be part of the team next season (though I'm fine with Hynes being extended, my main beef with him is that Greene is never held accountable for anything), but as a whole, I don't think the Devils' D should look as bad as it often does.  It's not some completely talentless group.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

In a somewhat ironic twist, I took another look at MB's post, and actually considered for a moment "Maybe MB was actually trying to be funny and sarcastic with that comment?"...ya know, kinda like how a "normal" person might roll...if that was the case, then that's a fairly humorous post. 

But then I remembered it was MB...so who the hell can say if he really is endorsing the extension, or genuinely trying to be chuckleworthy. 

If that was sarcasm, then it was funny and also well timed. 

But I can’t say for sure whether he’s been programmed for humor. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I am at a complete loss as to how the Devils can look so easily hapless and overwhelmed...and sometimes it's all over the ice.  Greene is bad and really should not be part of the team next season (though I'm fine with Hynes being extended, my main beef with him is that Greene is never held accountable for anything), but as a whole, I don't think the Devils' D should look as bad as it often does.  It's not some completely talentless group.   

I"m just resigned to the fact that Nasreddine is an awful coach but for some reason (I'm guessing it's due to loyalty), Hynes will not dismiss him. So... keeping him around will keep the D playing like garbage. The other night was an absolute joke the way Heiskenen and Seguin skated right to the net untouched and scored. Our guys just stood there like pylons. And it's not just one game.. it's endemic this season. Nasreddine has to go after this season. If Hynes brings him back (and Andy Greene is back) next year will be more of the same with this group.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, slasher72 said:

I"m just resigned to the fact that Nasreddine is an awful coach but for some reason (I'm guessing it's due to loyalty), Hynes will not dismiss him. So... keeping him around will keep the D playing like garbage. The other night was an absolute joke the way Heiskenen and Seguin skated right to the net untouched and scored. Our guys just stood there like pylons. And it's not just one game.. it's endemic this season. Nasreddine has to go after this season. If Hynes brings him back (and Andy Greene is back) next year will be more of the same with this group.  

It could be something as simple as that Hynes and Shero think Nasreddine will grow into the job...and of course I'm looking strictly from the outsider's perspective that comes with being a fan...but I just don't see what he brings.  I could understand if the D was made up of a bunch of stopgaps/past-their-prime vets, but no matter how I look at it, I see more talent there than what we see in too many games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Nas is in charge of the PK & it's been pretty darned good for the past year or so... plus our D isn't exactly elite. For those that have a subscription to the Athletic, there's this article from last April which makes me think he's staying:  

https://theathletic.com/319369/2018/04/18/a-partnership-that-helped-rebuild-the-devils-was-an-eight-year-journey-filled-with-learning-and-respect/

“He really understands the teams and the players and the ebbs and flows of the season. He’s very honest with me. I respect a lot of the opinions he has — not just the Xs and Os part, but the bigger things like dealing with the team, the schedule.”

While Hynes and Nasreddine have different backgrounds and experiences, what made them different made them work well together immediately. Hynes had been a coach since his playing days ended at 21 because of an injury but had little experience dealing with professional players.

Nasreddine had no coaching experience, but as a captain and leader, he had loads of the kind Hynes was missing — relating to players at the highest levels, gauging and managing everyone's personalities in the dressing room.

___

“To be honest, I made this clear with John and also with Ray and Tom Fitzgerald that right now I am here and in the immediate future it is not something I want to pursue to get into a head coaching position. I still feel like I have a lot to learn at this level. If I wanted to take that path, I had the opportunity after five years in Wilkes-Barre when John came here but I decided to take the way here in the NHL.

“I don’t feel like I need to take that jump and go back to the American Hockey League to be a head coach. I think I need a couple more years to really understand the league here for one, and for two we started something that I feel is going to be special and I just don’t feel in my heart that I want to leave at this time.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

our D was far from elite when we made it to the finals in 2012. It was all about the system they played and their positioning. The old guys are getting beat with speed all the time sure... but the amount of time where guys are left wiiiide open or able to walk in easily for a scoring chance is staggering. There's a problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, slasher72 said:

OK.. so Hynes is staying put. Can we at least get rid of Nassredine? 

That seems to be the thought of the day.  Because of Hynes' loyalty to him, I doubt it will happen any time soon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Periods like this is why I'm not happy with re-signing Hynes. It happens way too often whether we have a healthy lineup or not. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Periods like this is why I'm not happy with re-signing Hynes. It happens way too often whether we have a healthy lineup or not. 

Agreed. They’re listless and unprepared far too often.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Periods like this is why I'm not happy with re-signing Hynes. It happens way too often whether we have a healthy lineup or not. 

It's also why I'm annoyed at Shero for the first time.  Extending Hynes for multiple years in this trainwreck of a season really was no different than the Johnsons extending Todd Bowles last year after back to back 5-11's.  People complained about Lou's itchy trigger finger but at least there was accountability then.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

People complained about Lou's itchy trigger finger but at least there was accountability then.

Except when it came to himself and his scouting department. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

Except when it came to himself and his scouting department. 

But didn’t you know? It’s the prospects fault for not developing, not Lou’s inability to find talent for the modern NHL

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It's also why I'm annoyed at Shero for the first time.  Extending Hynes for multiple years in this trainwreck of a season really was no different than the Johnsons extending Todd Bowles last year after back to back 5-11's.  People complained about Lou's itchy trigger finger but at least there was accountability then.

Don't make too much of the "multiple years" thing.  It's not like Shero gave him a 3-5 year extension.  I mentioned this in another thread...he was a lame duck prior to the extension, and extending him only one more year would've just made him a lame duck again next season...Shero likely didn't want that, so he extended him by the minimum, really.  It's more like a probationary extension...if Shero thinks this team should be more of a legit playoff contender in 2019-20 and the Devils are not playing well, Hynes will be toast before season's end (unless the team is so decimated by injuries that it will impossible to pin it all on the coach).  It's closer to a "show me" than some major stamp of approval. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 3, 2019 at 12:29 PM, mfitz804 said:

What a difference a hyphen can make...

This reminds me of my favorite historical anecdote from Tsarist Russia.  One day a Russian noble-woman's lover was on trial.  The trial didn't go his way and she appealed and got this response:

"Pardon impossible, to be sent to Suberia."

So she had a forger remove the comma and instead place it elsewhere.  She took the note to the prison to free her lover, since it now said:

"Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia."

A little comma can make a big difference too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't make too much of the "multiple years" thing.  It's not like Shero gave him a 3-5 year extension.  I mentioned this in another thread...he was a lame duck prior to the extension, and extending him only one more year would've just made him a lame duck again next season...Shero likely didn't want that, so he extended him by the minimum, really.  It's more like a probationary extension...if Shero thinks this team should be more of a legit playoff contender in 2019-20 and the Devils are not playing well, Hynes will be toast before season's end (unless the team is so decimated by injuries that it will impossible to pin it all on the coach).  It's closer to a "show me" than some major stamp of approval. 

Assuming he was on his last year that just makes the timing more hilariously bad.  Why not extend him in the offseason or training camp when he'd come off a decent year and had some goodwill?  He was still going to be a lameduck then.  Doing it now smack in the middle of a poor season is basically trolling the fanbase, it's almost as if they were happy to save money on the extension by doing it when his leverage was down.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Assuming he was on his last year that just makes the timing more hilariously bad.  Why not extend him in the offseason or training camp when he'd come off a decent year and had some goodwill?  He was still going to be a lameduck then.  Doing it now smack in the middle of a poor season is basically trolling the fanbase, it's almost as if they were happy to save money on the extension by doing it when his leverage was down.

Shero clearly doesn't think that Hynes is an issue, or THE issue, anyway.  There's something about Hynes that Shero obviously likes a lot...enough that while he didn't go overboard with a lengthy extension, he wanted to show Hynes that he does have some belief in his coaching abilities.  And though this year hasn't been pretty, when Schneider's basically been a complete nonentity (except for when he's taking his team out of games before they even have a chance to settle in), and KK's warts from playing too much are showing more and more, and his best player has now missed a batch of games, and another player in MoJo has never really gotten it going (and is also injured again, even though being injury-prone was not much of an issue for much of his time with the Caps), and the one goalie who was showing a little something gets hurt...how much blame should Hynes get?  (Of course if you're MB, you blame everything on the coach).  Not implying that every last thing that Hynes does is perfect of course (I'll always wonder why Greene gets the untouchable treatment), but I don't think too much of what's gone wrong this season can get pinned on him. 

Not sure why you suddenly seem to be implying that suddenly Shero and the Devils are operating like the Mets and looking to save pennies any way possible, to the detriment of everything else.  I don't get that vibe from this ownership at all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Not sure why you suddenly seem to be implying that suddenly Shero and the Devils are operating like the Mets and looking to save pennies any way possible, to the detriment of everything else.  I don't get that vibe from this ownership at all. 

I wasn't being entirely serious with the saving pennies on the extension line but at a certain point the proof's gotta be in the pudding.  Either they're going to spend or they won't, the excuses don't fly forever.  Sure there's no overt smoking gun suggesting they are penny pinching (like Madoff with the Mets) and no Josh Kosman constantly waving around financial statements in the Post, but some of us were saying that with Vanderbeek too, when they still had one of the highest payrolls until near the end.  McMullen was called a cheapskate and in a lot of cases he was but THAT team still managed to have a top eight-top ten payroll in several seasons. 

These owners, sure it's nice they aren't butting in per se but they've basically operated at a Moneyball level with both the Devils and Sixers to this point consistenly being in the bottom five-ten payrolls.  I just don't see why they continue to get the blind benefit of the doubt when there's no current evidence that actually supports your or others' view they will spend other than Shero pinkyswearing there's no restrictions and vague reports we were 'in' on certain players.  For years we've been told we'll spend when the time's right but we've banked useless cap space for years and now we're staring at an offseason where we may lose Hall because we've spent too much time ****ing around, and reset the rebuild AGAIN.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hasan,

Not seeing any prooof of this. The Sixers are spending, the Devils have spent where needed, and Ray has been pretty explicit about the spending and his motives. We also don't know about offers not accepted. I will say this though, look at the organization and the amount of hiring done in the last couple years. My lord, they've added a ton of employees and are making investments everywhere. With my job, I've engaged them a little on the business side and they're doing a ton of stuff in every facet of the org. They'll spend the money on players when the time comes. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.