2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

This was one of those deals where BVW had only one path to bypass a whole lot of rungs on the ladder...and that was here.  That meant not only taking a job with not a whole lot of sex appeal, but having to tolerate Jeffy.  I think for now, BVW is tolerating the situation, but I can’t possibly see this arrangement lasting long-term, no way.  There’s nothing more annoying than a complete buffoon who doesn’t know jack sh!t constantly giving his unwanted input.  It’s really a shame that Fred allows Jeffy to be in the picture.  

The Grandal proposal tells me all I need to know about BVW.  If they win under him, it will be completely by accident.  I have no idea who’d want to come here to be the GM if BVW doesn’t last...Jeffy would have to be completely out of the loop I’d imagine, for anyone worthwhile to consider coming here.

And yeah, though I don’t like Sandy and feel that he has next to nothing in the creativity department, I think the Wilpons absolutely wore him down to the point he no longer gave a fvck...it was obvious (and as I’ve mentioned, I’m sure his health issues had him reassess his priorities...as in “I’m not killing myself for these dipsh!ts...I never really wanted the job to begin with.”)

Read somewhere that Ed Kranepool got into it with Jeffy at some event...Ed basically accused the Wilpons of ruining the team, and that they should sell to someone who would do a much better job.  Would’ve LOVED to have seen that.  Good for Ed!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Ken doll, that's a good line :lol:

Even scarier than the Grandal offer is they might not have had the money for Lowrie given the way we're counting millions if he did take it.  

As much as I think this offseason can be described as iffy overall to this point, Grandal would have made it borderline disastrous as far as I'm concerned.  Ramos + Lowrie is much better than just Grandal (who would've been here for four years no less...we would've been screaming "ALBATROSS!" by next season). 

Grandal is the one I think that's going to come to regret turning down that offer big-time...BVW was the only one dumb enough to make an offer like that.  The low-BA guys are a bit scary once they start declining...and since becoming a full-timer five seasons ago, Grandal's a .236 hitter.  Like I've said, I've had more than enough of Sandy's "HRs at the cost of everything else" mantra.  The fact that BVW was willing to offer that much to Grandal (apparently his age wasn't even a factor) really makes me wonder what the hell he possibly could've been thinking. 

----------------------

On another note, it's obvious that some Met fans are so starved for moves (or anything remotely resembling creative ones, since we saw so little of that with Sandy, especially once he checked out mentally) that they're convinced BVW is doing a great job (two of my very good friends are absolutely thrilled with him so far).  I don't know how anyone can give BVW anything more than mixed reviews so far, really...the Cano deal has serious disaster potential written all over it (even though it did exorcise the Mets of Bruce and Swarzak).  I'm good with the Ramos and Lowrie moves, especially since they're both reasonable short-term deals (even if Lowrie makes the IF situation a bit more complicated).  Familia I'm meh on...feels like maybe it should've been over for him here, and three years seems like a lot for him.  Most of the other moves just seem like a bunch of dollar store pickups that probably won't amount to much. 

On 1/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as I think this offseason can be described as iffy overall to this point, Grandal would have made it borderline disastrous as far as I'm concerned.  Ramos + Lowrie is much better than just Grandal (who would've been here for four years no less...we would've been screaming "ALBATROSS!" by next season). 

Grandal is the one I think that's going to come to regret turning down that offer big-time...BVW was the only one dumb enough to make an offer like that.  The low-BA guys are a bit scary once they start declining...and since becoming a full-timer five seasons ago, Grandal's a .236 hitter.  Like I've said, I've had more than enough of Sandy's "HRs at the cost of everything else" mantra.  The fact that BVW was willing to offer that much to Grandal (apparently his age wasn't even a factor) really makes me wonder what the hell he possibly could've been thinking. 

----------------------

On another note, it's obvious that some Met fans are so starved for moves (or anything remotely resembling creative ones, since we saw so little of that with Sandy, especially once he checked out mentally) that they're convinced BVW is doing a great job (two of my very good friends are absolutely thrilled with him so far).  I don't know how anyone can give BVW anything more than mixed reviews so far, really...the Cano deal has serious disaster potential written all over it (even though it did exorcise the Mets of Bruce and Swarzak).  I'm good with the Ramos and Lowrie moves, especially since they're both reasonable short-term deals (even if Lowrie makes the IF situation a bit more complicated).  Familia I'm meh on...feels like maybe it should've been over for him here, and three years seems like a lot for him.  Most of the other moves just seem like a bunch of dollar store pickups that probably won't amount to much. 

The real test with BVW...how is this guy going to draft. I guess we won't know until it actually comes down to it. He's got no track record. I hope he recognizes the kind of players that you need to win in todays Major League Baseball. Sandy it seems was always a step behind, which was sad to see from someone once considered one of the bright young minds in baseball. 

I don't like Familia for 3 years either. Yes you do need that setup man and you do need someone who can step in just in case Diaz goes down with an injury for a long stretch. But committing to someone of Familia's erraticism for 3 full years seems foolish. The man that he was 2015 and 2016 is dead and buried. He's never finding that form again. If he gives us 3 relatively healthy years as a setup man with an ERA within the range of 3.70-4.20...well gosh we could've found someone to do that for less than $10,000,000 a year. Frankly I think we'll see more of 2017 Familia rear his ugly head. Really wish Sandy's drafting was better so we can actually have that solid young hard throwing arm that we could just pluck from our system on the cheap and plug in. But here we are, in 2019, still relying on an Omar guy

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, '7' said:

The real test with BVW...how is this guy going to draft. I guess we won't know until it actually comes down to it. He's got no track record. I hope he recognizes the kind of players that you need to win in todays Major League Baseball. Sandy it seems was always a step behind, which was sad to see from someone once considered one of the bright young minds in baseball. 

I don't like Familia for 3 years either. Yes you do need that setup man and you do need someone who can step in just in case Diaz goes down with an injury for a long stretch. But committing to someone of Familia's erraticism for 3 full years seems foolish. The man that he was 2015 and 2016 is dead and buried. He's never finding that form again. If he gives us 3 relatively healthy years as a setup man with an ERA within the range of 3.70-4.20...well gosh we could've found someone to do that for less than $10,000,000 a year. Frankly I think we'll see more of 2017 Familia rear his ugly head. Really wish Sandy's drafting was better so we can actually have that solid young hard throwing arm that we could just pluck from our system on the cheap and plug in. But here we are, in 2019, still relying on an Omar guy

Very good point, re:  BVW and drafting.  Though it's not like it all comes down to the GM on those decisions. 

As much as I was not a fan of Sandy, more and more I find it hard to fully evaluate him mostly because I don't really know how much of an effort he was really making...I think he was definitely trying in the early going.  He seemed to be in 2015 as well, though it took him a while to wake the fvck up that year...and of course, got super duper lucky that the whole Flores/Wheeler for Gomez deal never went down.  Overall, I'd give him a C-/D+ for his time here...too much of the limited success that he did have really goes back to a lot of Omar's players.  Sandy really just didn't have a whole lot to do with much of anything good. 

Yeah, the Familia deal is a classic, almost pure desperation overpay...it's crazy to me that he got that contract, truly.  The good news is that though he's being paid a lot more than he really should be, he's not being asked to be "THE MAN" out of the pen.  That means when it's clearly coming apart for him, no "gotta live and die by my closer" BS. 

AJ Pollock signs a multi-year deal with the Dodgers...suffice it to say with the "spending spree" (in Jeffy's eyes, anyway) that the Mets went on this offseason, that there was no way they were going to pony up this much for Pollock:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/aj-pollock-dodgers-agree-to-deal-per-reports/1kfmsdgmbeoze1h6xoed9rqftl

4 years, $55 million, with a 5th year option at $10 million if the Dodgers pick it up, or a $5 million buyout if they don't. 

OF is going to be a little scary...Lagares and dollar-store pickups in CF (unless they plan to play Nimmo there), Conforto (still don't know for sure what you're getting from him), McNeil...and no one can tell me that Cespedes really wants to play, so I'm sure there will be setbacks galore with him...though maybe if the Mets are having a season where they're truly in the hunt, maybe that piques his interest a little, and suddenly he's feeling "better" in August and close to playing.   

And nope, heaven forbid the fvcking Wilpons actually allow BVW to get just a little involved in the Harper sweepstakes.  Mets have to act like a small market have not team, because of course they do. 

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well here’s the latest rationalization for not jumping in the deep end of the pool

I mean, Ces isn’t really $30 million anyway, especially since they are saving insurance credit this year, but it’s just the usual catty, tone deaf type response you’d expect from Jeff.

Jeffy is such a fvcking c*nt, he really is...every time he opens his fvcking mouth, it's just a complete buzzkill.  Cespedes is gone after 2020 you fvcking DOLT.  It's not like you'd have two $30 million-ish on your payroll for the next 5 years. 

The one issue is that Cespedes wouldn't have anywhere to play if Harper was ever to sign here...you've got Nimmo, Lagares and Conforto (of course, not like any one of them is guaranteed to stay healthy)...and getting Ces into the lineup might not be easy, and could even be disruptive.  But nope, can't even kick the fvcking tires on this. 

Wilson walked 52 hitters in 72.1 IP (with a 1.59 WHIP) as a Cub.  That's a bit disconcerting.  The high BB guys always have serious blow-up potential. 

My one beef with this is that you sign the blow-up guys to one-year deals (and hope it works out).  Two years for a penny-pinching club like this can really hurt if he's awful this year. 

To be fair, I'd have to see what other options were out there.  Feels too much like an "if" signing though. 

On 1/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Jeffy is such a fvcking c*nt, he really is...every time he opens his fvcking mouth, it's just a complete buzzkill.  Cespedes is gone after 2020 you fvcking DOLT.  It's not like you'd have two $30 million-ish on your payroll for the next 5 years. 

The one issue is that Cespedes wouldn't have anywhere to play if Harper was ever to sign here...you've got Nimmo, Lagares and Conforto (of course, not like any one of them is guaranteed to stay healthy)...and getting Ces into the lineup might not be easy, and could even be disruptive.  But nope, can't even kick the fvcking tires on this. 

Yea you see Jeff just can't help but be holier than thou snobbish over it. The question insults him. A smart individual would give the canned answer/non answer in classic Lamoriello evasive talk. Jeff has to come out and frame his answer in a way to make it sound like "what you the Met fan aren't grateful for what we have now?" I doubt Cespedes even plays in a major league game in 2019. We'll see what he does in 2020. Possibly very little. Wouldn't shock me at all if Cespedes career just goes out with a whimper from here on in

Edited by '7'

50 minutes ago, '7' said:

Yea you see Jeff just can't help but be holier than thou snobbish over it. The question insults him. A smart individual would give the canned answer/non answer in classic Lamoriello evasive talk. Jeff has to come out and frame his answer in a way to make it sound like "what you the Met fan aren't grateful for what we have now?" I doubt Cespedes even plays in a major league game in 2019. We'll see what he does in 2020. Possibly very little. Wouldn't shock me at all if Cespedes career just goes out with a whimper from here on in

The Wilpons are horrible in a lot of ways, but they have zero people/attempt to relate to the fans skills...the bolded sums up how they often come off...like they're doing us a huge favor just by bothering to field a team at all.  Like Has alluded to, forever tone-deaf, and almost spiteful towards their fanbase. 

The Mets REALLY have to wake up and realize that Cespedes has very little interest in playing baseball going forward, especially now.  He was on his best (and most productive) behavior to get the contract.  I'm not even so sure that he actually even LIKES baseball all that much. 

haha. Senior Advisor to Baseball Operations. Basically tired old man who we don't need in any way but has a link to our past that we can send to various functions, events, TV spots from time to time as a representative of the franchise. Maybe Sandy will be more into it there, but at this point so much of the game has passed him by, the energy isn't there...he has nothing of worth to contribute. Nothing to add. He just wanted to be back on the west coast and work no more than 5 hours a week

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

The modern day Steve Howe, Jenrry Mejia has resurfaced with the Red Sox. It really doesn't matter what you do or how dumb you are. If it looks like you can get major league hitters out, you'll get a zillion chances

That one surprised me...first, getting reinstated at all (so now anyone who gets banned for life for a first time will be able to say "Well what about Mejia?" when they apply for reinstatement), and then getting a team to take a flyer on him.  I would've figured he'd have to start in some independent league (like the one the Somerset Patriots play in). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That one surprised me...first, getting reinstated at all (so now anyone who gets banned for life for a first time will be able to say "Well what about Mejia?" when they apply for reinstatement), and then getting a team to take a flyer on him.  I would've figured he'd have to start in some independent league (like the one the Somerset Patriots play in). 

If a guy is dumb enough to keep doing this stuff until a lifetime ban was handed out, then he no doubt will be caught again. He's learned nothing. He's just going to do the same thing and try to mask it a different way. Mejia just doesn't seem like the brightest bulb, surprised Boston would even bother with him

1 hour ago, '7' said:

If a guy is dumb enough to keep doing this stuff until a lifetime ban was handed out, then he no doubt will be caught again. He's learned nothing. He's just going to do the same thing and try to mask it a different way. Mejia just doesn't seem like the brightest bulb, surprised Boston would even bother with him

I posted about this a while back...I don’t think it’s stupidity, as much as he came from complete sh!t, likely knows he’s not really good enough without “help”, and is willing to take that chance at getting caught, because he’ll never see that kind of money doing whatever else he might be qualified to do.  So on that count, yeah, I wouldn’t be at all shocked if he gets busted yet again.

Mets supposedly showing some interest in Gio Gonzalez.  I'd consider taking a flyer on him on a one-year deal, if he wants to bet on himself.  He should represent an upgrade over Vargas, but he's had some scary stretches in 2016 and 2018:

2016, from 5/23 through 9/28:  24 starts, 129 IP, 139 H, 80 ER, 46 BB, 81 K, 16 HR, 5.58 ERA

2018, from 6/9 through 8/29:  15 starts, 74.1 IP, 93 H, 56 ER, 42 BB, 56 K, 11 HR, 6.78 ERA  (This is VERY frighteningly Vargas-like, and very recent to boot)

His pattern in both seasons was to start strong (he was very good through late May of both seasons)...he did seem to do a little better after he was traded to the Brewers as September rolled around last year, but it looks like they were careful with him...he never pitched beyond the sixth inning in any of those starts, and didn't even go five in two of them.  Threw 25.1 IP in five starts as a Brewer, so not sure what to make of that limited sample. 

Basically, this is a case of the Mets being rightly cautious in signing him up, especially if his camp is insisting on multiple years.  He did turn a relatively more consistent 2017, and has been a solid starter for much of his career...but there's just enough red flags lately (not to mention that he doesn't seem like the guttiest guy out there) that I can understand if the Mets decide to pass...doesn't mean that I'm on board with Vargas being the 5th guy in 2019, but I don't think the Mets should be killed too too much if they do pass on Gio.

Would’ve been nice if the Mets had nabbed him, but of course they didn’t.  Always gotta go second tier or lower, though I’m ok with Wilson Ramos.  

Stings a little with Realmuto, but frankly I'm just glad this flirtation is over. Thing is though catchers can have the bottom drop out and quickly. I mean look at Lucroy. Another guy we were desperate for (didn't he turn down a trade to us...he may have) but at 31-32 last year he totally cratered at the plate. Realmuto is about to turn 28 so it shouldn't any worries with him but catchers break down and can break down quickly and the Phillies better be readying for a potential position switch down the line with him because you want to preserve that bat as long as you can. 

Realmuto has never been a catcher that walked much either. When that bat slows he's not going to still be coaxing his way on base in other ways. He'll just simply...not get on base at all