2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

Yep the actual trade itself worked out for the Mets, and so did the first Ces contract. The second one not so much :P

First contract was a risk but overall was one of Sandy's better moves...kept the carrot dangled just close enough where Ces was still motivated enough to try to get a little more.  Admittedly I was nervous as hell with the second deal, and sadly Ces has shown all the doubters exactly why they should've been.  As far as pure "fat cat" potential goes, he sure lived up to his. 

The one question that I'm sure will never get answered is why did it take so friggin' long for him to have his surgery done in the first place?  I get that the guy is no rush to get back onto the field and it won't surprise me at all if he plays less than a quarter of the season (if that much), but it sure seemed like that surgery could've been taken care a hell of a lot earlier last year than it was. 

20 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

First contract was a risk but overall was one of Sandy's better moves...kept the carrot dangled just close enough where Ces was still motivated enough to try to get a little more.  Admittedly I was nervous as hell with the second deal, and sadly Ces has shown all the doubters exactly why they should've been.  As far as pure "fat cat" potential goes, he sure lived up to his. 

The one question that I'm sure will never get answered is why did it take so friggin' long for him to have his surgery done in the first place?  I get that the guy is no rush to get back onto the field and it won't surprise me at all if he plays less than a quarter of the season (if that much), but it sure seemed like that surgery could've been taken care a hell of a lot earlier last year than it was. 

I'm at the point with Cespedes where I've mentally written him off the Mets...forever. Show me that you can come back and play regularly and I'll believe again. But his issues have piled up in such a short amount of time. The surgery itself involved detaching and then reattaching the Achilles tendon. He will have to rebuild a lot of strength in his lower body. It's a huge mess and setbacks are sure to follow. I would write him off completely in 2019. And as you've mentioned it seems like he's mentally already begun to check out of his own career and morph into the fat cat. Frankly I don't even believe that he's 33. More like 36-37 who is just winding things down

The only reason I'm not writing him off entirely for 2020 is that I can see him suddenly feeling better than he has in years...due entirely to trying to get another payday...if he has a solid year and plays in 130+ games, maybe someone else signs him for a year at $15 million or so. 

I truly think that for him, baseball is a means to an end...he can make a lot of money doing it, and as long as he's under contract, he doesn't even have to kill himself getting onto the field.  I don't think he particularly loves the game or has any great desire to play it...but he does love the goodies it allows him to buy.  I do think he was having some real fun in 2015, but that was a long time ago.  I don't see him being terribly crushed if he never picks up a baseball again...and if he is, it will be almost solely because there will be no other jackpots waiting to be cashed. 

Of course, what really sucks about this is that the fvcking Wilpons have their convenient go-to excuse whenever fans and media start to get on them yet again for not spending like a big-boy team...we've already seen them do it.  Some teams could overcome a Cespedes-type signing and have it not hurt their on-field product too too much.  With the Mets, it always had the potential to sting a lot more. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Now basically every MLB player and their brother is getting a contract extension, from Snell today to Eloy Jimenez, and all the guys the Yankees extended (Hicks, Severino), etc...that only increases the pressure on the Mets to get deGrom done even though it's VASTLY different since deGrom would likely get $50-60 million more than most of the other ones extended not counting the other big fish like Arenado and Trout, assuming the Mets give him 2-3 FA years on an extension.  Of course there was already pressure on the Mets to do it with the Brodie factor and just the general anti-Wilpon sentiment.  I don't know how much I'd like 5-130 but that's probably minimum what you're looking at here.  It'd be nice if they could give him one FA year and make it a three-year deal a la the Dodgers with Kershaw but I don't think that'd be realistic.

If anything all the extensions this year only make the Mets look worse for not getting deGrom done a year or two ago.

Speaking of big-name extensions another one down the pike, and a VERY good price for the Cardinals

Edited by NJDevs4978

deGrom probably not getting an extension before Opening Day...well, duh.  Not that the Mets HAD to do this, but don’t make it sound like it could realistically happen when clearly it wasn’t going to...no one is surprised by this.  And Syndergaard is apparently chirping about the team having go to Syracuse to work out.  Yep, same ol’ fvcking forever dysfunctional New York Mets.  

It is a dopey move by all accounts, and is about as Jeffy as it gets, but at the same time, maybe Noah should be a little more concerned about making 30+ starts and pitching 200+ innings.  And one workout isn’t making or breaking anyone.  I’m not saying he’s wrong about how he feels about it, just not sure chirping about it through the press is going to accomplish much.  

He's right. Syndergaard is totally right. But you know what keep it internal. As CR mentioned this is more harebrained Jeff stuff that we have to swallow and I'm sure there will be more to come. Still it's Syracuse not Yugoslavia circa 1991. Just swallow it. Most important thing now is heading into the season with this team as healthy as possible and as on the same page as possible. On the scale of lolMets insanity that we've dealt with (and will deal with this season I'm sure) this is pretty low on the totem pole

But again Syndergaard sounds a bit spoiled. And commenting on deGroms contract. Just put the Thor myth to bed already and pitch. 

Edited by '7'

Just now, '7' said:

He's right. Syndergaard is totally right. But you know what keep it internal. As CR mentioned this is more harebrained Jeff stuff that we have to swallow and I'm sure there will be more to come. Still it's Syracuse not Yugoslavia circa 1991. Just swallow it. Most important thing now is heading into the season with this team as healthy as possible and as on the same page as possible. On the scale of lolMets insanity that we've dealt with this is pretty low on the totem pole

But again Syndergaard is sound a bit spoiled

This is where Syndergaard is really starting to walk that "Is he becoming more trouble than he's worth?" tightrope.  Obviously guys can multitask, which means they can bitch and moan about one thing and still focus on their performance, but damn Noah, maybe spend more time wondering why you're the guy with the best stuff and most raw talent, yet you're now the third-best starter on the staff.  Maybe figure out why you're not nearly the hit suppressor that you should be.  I think in general fans would've stomached this a lot better coming from deGrom than Syndergaard.

You are right, considering all of the crazy sh!t we see around here, this really isn't all that much.  If anything it just makes you wish that every time Jeffy has an idea, that SOMEONE with stones would tell him "No Jeff, let's not do that."  I'm still amazed that the Jeffys of the world can never ever seem to get ANYTHING right...even by complete accident.  It's funny in that a AAA relocation to Syracuse that was completely worth celebrating and made nothing but 100% perfect sense has already been tainted by 1) the whole ditching of the Chiefs nickname, which immediately pissed off the locals, and 2) now this whole (unnecessary, really) workout flap.  Only the fvcking Wilpons...

The other thing is major league teams have to play ‘regular season’ games in Omaha, Williamsport, Mexico and London this year (along with Japan but at least that’s a traditional market now).  For as bad as the Syracuse thing is at least it’s just a frigging ST workout, big whoop.

Edited by NJDevs4978

They're not playing an actual game up in Syracuse, so far as I know...I thought it was supposed to be a workout session and a chance for some fans to see and possibly meet some players. 

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

lol then that’s even more lame on all sides, guess it’s just a glorified PR caravan.

Exactly what it is, only horribly thought-out and almost destined to invite ridicule.  Basically par for the course in Jeffyland. 

Wilpons don't ever attempt to do something that makes sense unless someone tells them what that is first.  At any rate, give credit where it's due, the Wilpon Met thing would've been to wait, and in this case they would've even been justified in doing it.  They broke their mold for a change. 

5 years, $137.5 million.  Guessing Jake wanted $150 million, Mets offered $125 million, and they simply met in the middle.  Not sure if they're ripping up this season or if it kicks in starting next year.

Probably means if Wheeler has a big year, that he's as good as gone.  No way the Mets pony up for another guy.  And if they actually do, then that's probably soyanara in time for Noah. 

This had to lead to some general good will and good feelings, so now that means Noah really needs to just STFU.  Suck it up in Syracuse and move on. 

• Like 1

Yep, arb year ripped up, this deal starts in 2019, runs through 2023.  Mets have a club option for 2024 as well.  Seems fair all-around.  Well done by all.

The per-year breakdown is interesting and makes sense:

2019:  $17 million (now split into a $10 million signing bonus and $7 million salary)

2020:  $23 million (probably about what he would have earned in arbitration with a good 2019, maybe slightly less)

2021:  $33.5 million (right when Cespedes' money will be off the books)

2022:  $33.5 million (can opt out after this season)

2023:  $30.5 million

2024:  $32.5 million (club option)

So basically, it almost works out like he used up his arbitration years (assuming health and good production) and got expected settlements, then signed a 3-year free agent deal, with a option for him to opt out after 2 years, or for the Mets to extend it to four. 

It's really hard to quibble with the particulars...assuming now that Jeffy doesn't act like his pockets have been emptied or that he did everyone a big favor and now can penny-pinch to his heart's content, the first two years of this deal shouldn't hamper the Mets too much from making other moves, and have the potential to be relative bargain years.  Obviously 2021-23 have the potential to be scary if Jacob breaks down or suddenly falls to pieces, but the only sure thing about pitchers is that there's no such thing.  The contract is reasonable from a pure term standpoint.   

It’s also telling the Mets gave deGrom as much total money as Johan on his contract and about half a million less than David Wright on his contract. Guess coming in that lane was important to them lol, although the reported previous offer of $90 million guaranteed was just laughable. Common sense actually prevailed on both sides, deGrom didn’t get every last nickel and the Mets in the end didn’t completely cheap out.

We've got him for the rest of his prime years. 2019 and 2020, the reasonable figures position us for a window of opportunity here to still be able to add on and potentially make a playoff or WS run if things break right. 2021 things get hairy but I think he'll still be a great pitcher at that time. Or at least very good. 2023 and 2024 could be a mammoth pain if he falls off early but we'll cross that bridge when we get there

This is a bolt out of the blue. I wonder how much influence Brodie had behind the scenes convincing the Wilpons to do this

1 hour ago, '7' said:

We've got him for the rest of his prime years. 2019 and 2020, the reasonable figures position us for a window of opportunity here to still be able to add on and potentially make a playoff or WS run if things break right. 2021 things get hairy but I think he'll still be a great pitcher at that time. Or at least very good. 2023 and 2024 could be a mammoth pain if he falls off early but we'll cross that bridge when we get there

This is a bolt out of the blue. I wonder how much influence Brodie had behind the scenes convincing the Wilpons to do this

2020 would've likely broken the same way cost-wise even if they hadn't re-signed him either year...2019 is already no different.  If anything I think you can make a mild argument that the Mets might've saved $1-2 million over what he would've signed for in an arbitration settlement in 2020 (assuming no major dropoff of course).  So to me, if the plan was to keep deGrom through his controlled years (and I think it was), then you can pretty much assume the Mets were paying $40 million or so over the next two years for deGrom no matter what.

So if he signed a FA deal after 2020 that could be 2, 3 or 4 years (depending on how things shook out) that consisted solely of the 2021-24 years of his new contract, and factoring in his age, I'd be lauding it, big time.  It has some flexibility and like you said, you're pretty guaranteed to get all or most of his remaining prime years.

The one argument that can be made against this contract is that if he struggles the next two years, then he's untradeable (today's celebration can become tomorrow's albatross so quickly these days), just as the mega-money years kick in...and yeah, by the nature of these contracts alone, they're risky as hell...even doubly so for a team like the Mets, who will are likely to see some immediate fallout should Wheeler leave after 2019, and will seize any excuse they can find not to spend.  They do have Syndergaard under control through 2021 at least (ditto Matz...maybe he can get his act together, but I've kinda given up on him).  But it's always a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't...if the unthinkable happens and deGrom stops being deGrom way too early, only second-guessers are going to bitch, because I gotta think that at least 95% of Mets fans are fully on board with deGrom's contract.  Sometimes you take a worthwhile risk and hope it turns out OK. 

Good to see Lowrie working his way back. He's not young, but 99 rbi's last year. A guy who flat out gets on base. He could be a major cog in this lineup. When healthy I think we can be looking at

Nimmo - OF

Lowrie - 2B/3B

Cano - 2B

Conforto - OF

Ramos - C

Alonso/Dom Smith 1B

Rosario - SS

McNeil - OF

Pitcher

No real dead spots in that lineup. Unless McNeil ends up a flash in the pan. But I think he'll stick as a major league hitter. And there will be a lot of shuffling on the infield position wise. Frazier will eventually need to be worked in there somewhere

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/mets-jed-lowrie-hits-off-tee/

Lowrie (knee) resumed hitting off a tee Tuesday, Laura Albanese of Newsday reports.

It's yet another small step forward in the recovery process for Lowrie, who recently added fielding drills to his regimen of baseball activities. The real test for Lowrie's health will come when he's cleared to begin a running program, which could happen at some point within the next week or two. The Mets intend to place Lowrie on the injured list prior to Opening Day to provide some extra roster flexibility while they await his return.

I've seen too many Mets lineups come up north and immediately stop hitting for much of April...so I gotta see them hit for a while before I'm a believer in this bunch.  But yeah, definitely some reasons for hope. 

As for Lowrie, the 2017-18 version gets on base (.356), and is a solid hitter...REALLY hope he doesn't revert to 2014-16 Lowrie, because that guy was pretty bad:  .248/.317/.354, .671 OPS, 89 OPS+ 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've seen too many Mets lineups come up north and immediately stop hitting for much of April...so I gotta see them hit for a while before I'm a believer in this bunch.  But yeah, definitely some reasons for hope. 

As for Lowrie, the 2017-18 version gets on base (.356), and is a solid hitter...REALLY hope he doesn't revert to 2014-16 Lowrie, because that guy was pretty bad:  .248/.317/.354, .671 OPS, 89 OPS+ 

In that case he morphs primarily into a bench player and we see a lot more of Todd Frazier at 3b. I just hope one of Alonso or Smith is for real and we can finally settle 1b. It would be typical Mets luck if they ended up both being Spring Training Teases

Edited by '7'

Frazier...bleech.  Just so done with that kind of hitter...the Sandy Specials, heh heh.  I know he hits HRs, but the problem with those guys is that you can't count on them for anything resembling consistency, and they seem to do a lot of damage either in garbage time or against the crappier arms.  Another reason to hope that other guys hit enough to keep Frazier from being in the everyday lineup.