2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Mets are 9-4.

In a way I want Vargas to get lit up (with the Mets continuing to score plenty of runs of course, and finding a way to win the game), because I think the sooner that BVW realizes that Vargas is a serious weak link, the better off the Mets will be.  Keuchel’s obviously still out there and I’d be interested, but if he still thinks he’s getting a big deal now, then it’s simply not going to happen with the Mets (nor should it).

BP is scary too, but not like the Mets don’t beat up on other pens.  Seems like an epidemic, as far as MLB pens go, early in 2019.  

Yeah, an early season sweep in the Braves’ house would be huge.  Not sure if the Mets are the best team...really hope Cano picks it up...as a guy who clearly picks and chooses when he’s going to give it his all, he is going to be such an albatross when his decline years start kicking in.  It’s definitely too early to worry too too much about him, but like Has mentioned, I really hope he’s not friggin’ Robert Alomar Part Deux.

How is this fair to the rest of the team. He was garbage last year. He's gone 1 inning, 5 innings, 1 inning this year. It has a trickle down effect on the rest of the squad. His horrible play crushes the pen. 

He needs to be pulled from this rotation ASAP. Absolutely pulled asap

Yeah, sorry BVW, don’t tell me it’s all about being a contender, then put a complete zilch like Vargas out there.  There’s nothing there.  Move the fvck on.

And as much as Vargas clearly isn't the answer, neither is Corey Oswalt.  The Mets either gotta flip Lugo or Gsellman back into the rotation (the former option weakening the pen, the latter might not be much better at this point but Gsellman's not really a short guy at this point either), or actually go to the outside for a solution.  Maybe they gotta hope Dom has some value where they could flip him for an arm or two, or they can somehow finagle away Gio Gonzalez though I doubt Brodie wants to give up something for a guy he could have had for nothing.  

Yeah, enough with Oswalt too.  Think Has has it right...if they insist on going in house, then go with Gsellman or Lugo and see what happens.

Mets actually set a club record last night...most games in a row with 6+ runs (7 games).

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

When I first heard Ronnie was taking a leave of absence I was worried it was over this stupid book stuff...turns out it's actually worse

Hopefully everything works out okay.

Yeah hope he’ll be all right...sounds like he will at least.

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, enough with Oswalt too.  Think Has has it right...if they insist on going in house, then go with Gsellman or Lugo and see what happens.

Mets actually set a club record last night...most games in a row with 6+ runs (7 games).

Yeah hope he’ll be all right...sounds like he will at least.

The Mets are currently 4th in all of baseball in runs scored. And every team ahead of them have played between 2-4 more games than they have

This series was a solid reminder that the Mets may be able to stay involved in a division race, but aren’t good enough to pull away anytime soon.  Especially if they insist on trying to make Vargas happen.  

Rotation is also overrated...deGrom will be fine, but it just goes to show how hard it is to be SO damned good in back-to-back seasons...if he’s 75-80% of what he was last season, that will still be plenty terrific. But right now NONE of these guys are efficient or able to go deep...way too many 5-6 inning starts, and the pen is getting killed.  The rotation just has a way of being collectively underwhelming too often...it’s time to stop labeling that group as being better than it really is.  

And on the Vargas front, we got the “We’re smarter than all of you” line from BVW...they’re going to stick with Vargas, even though he’s largely been sh!t since the middle of 2017 (save for an 8-start garbage-time run last year, that apparently has BVW and others convinced that somehow Vargas will do that again).  So basically the Mets are still the Mets, when push comes to shove.  

Yeah.  Really getting tired of seeing the same ol same ol from the Mets starting pitching.  Too many starts are such a labored grind.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah.  Really getting tired of seeing the same ol same ol from the Mets starting pitching.  Too many starts are such a labored grind.  

And now he's at 60+ in the 3rd. So I'm not even sure he makes it through 5. Enter the wretched pen

Yep, keep being a cartoon character and a thrower Noah.  No one’s impressed.  

At least in this bandbox, no game is ever over...big innings are always a possibility.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

31 minutes ago, '7' said:

You have got to be kidding me. 5-3 and he gags that up too right away!

Yeah I’m really done with him, as far as ever being consistent and dominant goes. Guy is incapable of evolving.

And I’m REALLY done with Familia.  Any other former losers you want to bring back on three-year deals BVW?

Familiar can no longer be allowed to pitch the 8th in close games. He's a back of the bullpen type guy at this point. Mop up guy. Somebody you throw in here and there. He's just terrible and single handily costing us games. His decline has been happening for some time now. He's not going to turn it around. He was wonderful when in his prime. Almost lockdown. But his physical abilities are just continuing to erode

Edited by '7'

And Mickey is apparently just going to leave him in no matter what.  Because he’s a fvcking idiot.  

Wow about fvcking time Mickey.  

Gsellman you fvcking zilch.  

Wow what a staff of complete pussies.  

And of course friggin’ Callaway and Eiland are supposed to be pitching gurus...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

And as of now it's tough to find upgrades outside the org regarding the pen. Season is still young. Everybody thinks they're still in it.

But this is going to cost us dearly. And for a team that can hit as well as we can it's not fair for them to see their work be erased by gutless cowards in the pen. 

1 minute ago, '7' said:

And why wasn't Diaz in to pitch to Segura?

#MICKEYBALL

I mean I get wanting to save him for the ninth except he hasn't pitched since Thursday and now there IS NO SAVE SITUATION FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT :P

Edited by NJDevs4978