2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

And as of now it's tough to find upgrades outside the org regarding the pen. Season is still young. Everybody thinks they're still in it.

But this is going to cost us dearly. And for a team that can hit as well as we can it's not fair for them to see their work be erased by gutless cowards in the pen. 

BVW’s BP acquisitions (with the exception of Diaz) were all iffy.  I could’ve understood Familia on one year...but three years?!  

And unless the Mets want to pony up for Kimbrel (and I can’t see them doing that, and it doesn’t seem like anyone else wants to either), then yeah, don’t see this getting better anytime soon.  

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

#MICKEYBALL

I mean I get wanting to save him for the ninth except he hasn't pitched since Thursday and now there IS NO SAVE SITUATION FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT :P

Guy is really not a major league manager.  And as we’ve often seen, this seems to be the case when former pitching coaches try to become managers.  

If anything, when he was hired, I was hoping for a guy who wasn’t a slave to “the book”...but here’s yet another moron who thinks his closer’s going to burst into flames the second he’s brought into to get at least one out in the 8th.  Nope, better to let Familia get at least one batter too many, then bring in Gsellman with no margin for error.  BVW can’t can Callaway fast enough.  There’s nothing there.

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Broke his helmet too slamming it down after the questionable strike 3

Yeah saw that...ump definitely could’ve run him, and been justified.  

Also that AB by Cano before the Conforto hit to make it 7-6 was very troubling. Yes he may be coming out of his slumber a bit. He had a hit earlier. He has hits in 3 consecutive games...but that was good morning, goodafternoon, and goodnight with 1st and 2nd. Really expect better from Cano in that moment

Edited by '7'

That's what we need from Diaz. Phillies had no chance when he came in. Pairing him with a good setup man will do wonders. I just want to have that confidence that if you get through 7 with a lead there's a 99% chance you'll win. But Familia can REALLY wreck a game before Diaz gets in there. He tried to do that today

Just nice to see the Mets stop the bleeding from those awful last two days in Atlanta. Not letting this get out of control regarding a losing streak

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

So apparently the philosophy is that Diaz will never get more than three outs in the regular season.  Which I'm not completely opposed to on principle (assuming they stick to it) but then how do you expect him to succeed getting more than three outs in the postseason when he hasn't done it all year?  They also do clearly believe in the normal way of only using closers to save games and not in earlier 'high leverage' situations.

/thread

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So apparently the philosophy is that Diaz will never get more than three outs in the regular season.  Which I'm not completely opposed to on principle (assuming they stick to it) but then how do you expect him to succeed getting more than three outs in the postseason when he hasn't done it all year?  They also do clearly believe in the normal way of only using closers to save games and not in earlier 'high leverage' situations.

/thread

Looking at his numbers last year, yea he is pretty much a single inning guy

43 minutes ago, '7' said:

Looking at his numbers last year, yea he is pretty much a single inning guy

Actually, even though he was used as a single-inning guy most of the time in 2018, he's shown that he can absolutely be successful when used for four outs or more (and having extra days ahead of such outings doesn't hurt):

He's had exactly ONE bad game when used for 4+ outs over the last two years (total of 11 appearances...8 in 2017, and 3 in 2018).

His combined numbers for those games: 

2017:  12 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 19 K

2018:  4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 4 BB (3 came in one game), 7 K

So the combined numbers:  16 IP, 9 H, 1 ER, 6 BB, 26 K

Right, sure sounds like a guy who can't handle pitching more than one inning...but "Smarter than everyone else" geniuses like BVW and Callaway apparently have it all figured out, though the numbers do NOTHING to back up the "nope, nope, can't pitch more than one inning" robo-mantra.   

Speaking of those two...Evan and Joe were absolutely SHREDDING Mickey on air today...and he really does deserve it.  The guy is truly clueless...the team really is 10-6 in spite of him, because he really is just an awful manager...he actually makes Terry look pretty good, and that ain't easy.

As for BVW...of course you don't ever judge a GM's performance 1/10th of the way into his first season, but what's funny is the success (mostly due to lots o' runs scored) doesn't really have THAT much to do with him at this point. 

There's three contributions BVW's made to date that have really made a difference so far:

1) Snagging Edwin Diaz...the guy is beastly, though of course (as is the case with ALL closers), we'll see if he's still so good on a legit playoff or WS contender.  Some guys get blinded by the spotlight, and there's not way to know for sure which guys do until they get thrust into the situation.

2) Naming Chili Davis the hitting coach.  Yeah, the Mets still strike out a ton, but their approach just seems so much more complete that it's been under other hitting coaches in recent years.  Unfortunately I think if anything, guys are probably not buying into to Chili's philosophies ENOUGH.  Still too many "I'm not getting cheated" big cuts.

3) Having the stones to bring up Alonso and follow through on not letting about service time dictate when he would play with the big club.  It's too early to say if Alonso can be THIS much of a monster at the plate this consistently, but he clearly had nothing left to prove in AAA.  Kudos to BVW for acknowledging that, and rewarding Alonso accordingly.

3A) Bringing Smith up as well.  I'll give both BVW AND Mickey credit here...for the most part, they've used both players well, and found spots for Dominic to get ABs and field time.  And to Dom's credit, the guy has been nothing but a supportive teammate.  I think he realizes he kinda blew it in some ways, but gets it now.

BVW's BP acquisitions have largely been disastrous, as we've seen.  He decided not to address the fifth starter spot, and that looks like it could blow up in his face too.  He also brought back d'Arnaud, when this organization desperately needs to move on from him...like '7' said, he's a loser holdover from the loser Sandy days.  And though it's great that Diaz is here, he came at a steep price...yes, the Mets dumped a couple of rotten Sandy signings on the Mariners, but had to take on Cano...man I don't know about him.  I don't necessarily think this slow start is anything in itself to be too concerned about, but I can see him really fat-catting it up if he skills decline to the point where he's not that interested in competing anymore...there's times even now where it looks like he just mails it in, both at the plate and in the field.  It's terrifying that he has five more years coming to him. 

12 hours ago, '7' said:

That's what we need from Diaz. Phillies had no chance when he came in. Pairing him with a good setup man will do wonders. I just want to have that confidence that if you get through 7 with a lead there's a 99% chance you'll win. But Familia can REALLY wreck a game before Diaz gets in there. He tried to do that today

Just nice to see the Mets stop the bleeding from those awful last two days in Atlanta. Not letting this get out of control regarding a losing streak

Familia will have some decent runs, but this is a situation where you take a step back if you're BVW, and just realize that you fvcked up.  3 years $30 million for Familia was just stupid...who else was offering him that? 

This being said, I don't think Familia is THIS bad.  I do think he'll figure it out.  But he can't do it as the 8th inning guy right now...not with a WHIP over 2.00.  He's in complete Insta-Jam mode at the moment.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Here comes yet another gutless performance by a “vaunted” Mets starting pitcher.  fvcking Matz.  

Well game, set, match.  No, Rosario definitely didn’t help, but wow Matz has absolutely nothing in the stones and guts department.  Can’t handle the slightest bit of adversity.  Niese was friggin’ tougher than Matz.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I didn’t think it was possible to be out of the game in the first inning in this park, with a piece of crap like Pivetta pitching against our hot offense. Way to go Steven, you somehow turned that trick.

At least the Mets still kinda sorta have a chance, due to the ballpark.  I’ll give them that.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

At least the Mets still kinda sorta have a chance, due to the ballpark.  I’ll give them that.

Oh I do think we can get 7-8...but that bullpen shutting it down for eight innings plus is another story.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Oh I do think we can get 7-8...but that bullpen shutting it down is another story.

Fair point...I can see Phils putting up 15+ tonight very easily.