2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Well there’s 10 runs.  Might as well rest Cano, cause you know he’s not trying the rest of the night.  

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

Couldn't even field a damn ball to save their life that inning. Not that they shouldn't be trailing but it would at least be 5-0 instead of like 10-0!

If this moves the needle closer to Callaway being sh!tcanned, I’m all for it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well everything other than Nimmo coming up lame with a bad shoulder just when he was finding his groove.

Sucks, but he is injury-prone.  Never a surprise when he gets hurt.  

Typical Wheeler...needs 27 pitches to get through the second inning, and issues an 11-pitch walk after being up 0-2 on the 7th-place hitter.  Because Heaven forbid the Mets' starters can put people away and not have seemingly every AB turn into a 6+ pitch battle.

51 pitches to get through innings 2 and 3.  3 BB in 3 IP.  It will be a miracle if he gets through 6 IP.  Because apparently that's a real rare feat for a Met SP these days. 

And naturally Arrieta breezes through HIS half of the inning with just SIX pitches thrown.  A very tidy 52 pitches through four innings for Arrieta.  Or one more than it took friggin' Wheeler to navigate through TWO innings. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Wheeler turns in a "quality start" (assuming he doesn't start the 7th and give up any ER).  Guess considering how the starters have been pitching lately, 6 IP, 3 ER, 3 BB and 2 HR is a major leap forward. 

EDIT:  OK, it's only fair to give him a little credit here...after throwing 62 pitches through the first three innings, he gets through the next four with just 47 pitches...and actually completes 7 innings as a result (109 pitches).  Hopefully he can build off this. 

Kinda sucks when the guy coming up to the plate with the game on the line is Keon Broxton...guy just isn't much of a hitter.  Of course he strikes out. 

Oh well, did get interesting at the end.  And at least most of the pen got a day off. 

Guess they weren't going to win every CBP series till the end of time, the Mets actually had done well there in prior seasons.  Despite Wheeler's game yesterday and Matz's first few starts before this week Brodie's assertion (with Francesa) that the Mets have starting pitching depth and aren't looking at anyone is laughable.  The schedule doesn't get any easier the next couple weeks, they may already lose games they can't make up going down with the Vargas ship - not to mention this crap pen.  

BVW has that “I’m so much smarter than everyone else” vibe that makes him very difficult to embrace.  If you want to tell me that 1-4 in the rotation will improve, fine...they have yet to ever do it consistently as a foursome, and the hype can only go on for so long, but ok, I’ll live with that.  But when the fifth guy is Vargas, and it looks like Oswalt and Flexen are next in line...don’t insult everyone’s intelligence pal.  We’ll be around far longer than YOU will be.

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Kinda sucks when the guy coming up to the plate with the game on the line is Keon Broxton...guy just isn't much of a hitter.  Of course he strikes out. 

Oh well, did get interesting at the end.  And at least most of the pen got a day off. 

He's going to drive us nuts all year at the plate when he plays. Thing is he's got enough power and speed and fielding ability that he's not totally useless. But in a big spot at the plate...when you need contact, I gotta have someone else take that at bat if you're behind. If you're ahead, if it's tied then fine. But I can't have Broxton batting in the situation last night

I just may DL him at this point. A neck is nothing to mess around with despite this seemingly not being serious. With us things tend to snowball into the worst possible scenario. They shouldn't be comfortable with him diving in the outfield or sliding into bases until the neck is 100%. They shouldn't allow him to

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-brandon-nimmo-still-has-sore-neck-weighs-in-on-potential-il-stint/306338602

Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo is still dealing with soreness in his neck, he told reporters before Wednesday's game, and has taken a muscle relaxer to help.

Manager Mickey Callaway said he isn't too worried at this point about Nimmo -- who is sitting on Wednesday and will get an extra day of rest with the Mets off on Thursday. And Nimmo doesn't think the neck issue will lead to a stint on the injured list.

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, '7' said:

He's going to drive us nuts all year at the plate when he plays. Thing is he's got enough power and speed and fielding ability that he's not totally useless. But in a big spot at the plate...when you need contact, I gotta have someone else take that at bat if you're behind. If you're ahead, if it's tied then fine. But I can't have Broxton batting in the situation last night

Mets only had Nimmo and Lagares on the bench at that point...and obviously Lagares would've been the only one available...can't see it having gone much better with him.  Unfortunately that was one time where the Mets just didn't have much choice but to let Broxton hit.  But yeah, my first thought when I saw that he was coming up was "Yeah right...no way he makes contact here."  Outside of one hot streak in 2016 (21 games) and another in 2017 (28 games), he's largely been a zilch who hits an occasional home run...think Anthony Recker.  He's just a really bad hitter. 

1 hour ago, '7' said:

I just may DL him at this point. A neck is nothing to mess around with despite this seemingly not being serious. With us things tend to snowball into the worst possible scenario. They shouldn't be comfortable with him diving in the outfield or sliding into bases until the neck is 100%. They shouldn't allow him to

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-brandon-nimmo-still-has-sore-neck-weighs-in-on-potential-il-stint/306338602

Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo is still dealing with soreness in his neck, he told reporters before Wednesday's game, and has taken a muscle relaxer to help.

Manager Mickey Callaway said he isn't too worried at this point about Nimmo -- who is sitting on Wednesday and will get an extra day of rest with the Mets off on Thursday. And Nimmo doesn't think the neck issue will lead to a stint on the injured list.

I don't think they need to IL him, but yeah, be VERY careful.  I can't handle Lagares and Broxton splitting ABs.  You've already got one not-good bat in Rosario. 

Well they say he is feeling significantly better but I don't know what to make of it. Doesn't mean there isn't a tear in there. Or something that will shelve him for a month or too. Just avoid the knife PLEASE avoid the knife. He's 30...any surgery on his pitching arm now may mean he's never the same again

For once apparently the Mets dodge a bullet.  But with this being the Mets you can't really trust the 'OMG now he's healthy pinky swear' stuff until he actually gets out and pitches well at least.  And not for nothing but just the way the last 24 hours have been handled are so Mets

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Flexen is not a major league pitcher. Doesn't belong in this game or any game. Ever. This is a forfeit almost

Agree, enough with Oswalt and/or Flexen.  They’re the Mets equivalent of John Quenneville.

19 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, enough with Oswalt and/or Flexen.  They’re the Mets equivalent of John Quenneville.

ha. Even worse I'd say. In the 60 some innings he's pitched as a Met he is among the worst starters we've ever thrown out there. And the rest of the team knows this. They were dejected and defeated before this game ever started.

37 minutes ago, '7' said:

ha. Even worse I'd say. In the 60 some innings he's pitched as a Met he is among the worst starters we've ever thrown out there. And the rest of the team knows this. They were dejected and defeated before this game ever started.

It’s moments like this that you want to punch BVW right in his smarter-than-you face.  Don’t ever bring up names like Oswalt or Flexen as viable options again you a$$hole.

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

More like Eric Tangradi, Nick Lappin or some other schmo that nothing was ever expected to begin with.  I'd have compared Dom Smith to Quenneville more before this year, a guy who was totally bad with expectations.  Nobody outside of the great BVW ever expected anything from either Oswalt or Flexen.

• Like 1