2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Well Matz made it through 6 (at 99 pitches so a dicey spot for the 7th) and they scratched out a few against Arrieta. The bullpen still has a say in this game unfortunately, though thankfully Harper got run. That helps

And Harper better get hit tomorrow.  Tired of seeing Mets hitters getting hit, and the Mets pitchers almost never doing anything to retaliate.  

Nice couple of innings from the pen.  Just need one more.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

What the hell has gotten into Wheeler?  Strikes out seven straight hitters at one point, and drives in three runs on a double and a HR...and it’s only the fourth inning.  Guy is having an insane night so far...

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And Harper better get hit tomorrow.  Tired of seeing Mets hitters getting hit, and the Mets pitchers almost never doing anything to retaliate.  

Nice couple of innings from the pen.  Just need one more.

I'd settle for him getting sent off again lol...his tantrum last night reminded me of the one he threw just before Wilmer's walkoff in 2015.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What the hell has gotten into Wheeler?  Strikes out seven straight hitters at one point, and drives in three runs on a double and a HR...and it’s only the fourth inning.  Guy is having an insane night so far...

SInglehandedly trying to ward off the DH lol

It is a shame and I'm a traditionalist in this vein (anti-DH) but really the universal DH is inevitable at this point given how many pitchers don't get trained to hit at any level of professional baseball.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

SInglehandedly trying to ward off the DH lol

It is a shame and I'm a traditionalist in this vein (anti-DH) but really the universal DH is inevitable at this point given how many pitchers don't get trained to hit at any level of professional baseball.

Yeah, I was never a DH guy myself...especially in the NL.  But for sure, only a matter of time at this point.  

Would really like to the see the Mets not end this series on a whimper...sweep these fvckers.  

Vargas tomorrow. Vargas is such crap that the team is already deflated before they take the field.

As for today, everything went just about perfectly.

And Cano keeps hitting. Love to see that. Up to .247. He's waking up

• Like 1

Re:  Vargas, really seems like the Mets and other teams are pretty leery of bringing in Gio González...and to their credit, they’re doing their homework on that one...I’ve pointed out previously how rotten he’s been for significant stretches over the past few seasons...he’s not nearly as good or consistent at this point as his very solid career numbers would lead many to believe.  I wouldn’t blame BVW for taking a shot with Gio (he’ll be relatively inexpensive and there’s just zero reason for any hope with Vargas), but don’t be that surprised if Gio is only marginally less frustrating to watch than Vargas.  Gio can be really really bad, for several starts at a time.

Hope Cano can keep it up...other guys are cooling off (to be expected).  Frazier hitting a GS was terrific, but I’ll never be a believer in a bat like his.  Also gotta wonder how long of a leash d’Arnaud will get...I know that it’s early, but if the guy still isn’t hitting in late May/early June (not like he has anything else to offer outside his offense), does BVW just ignore an obvious deficiency the same way that his predecessor often did?

Like many others, wondering if Rhame was actually throwing as Hoskins, or if he just sucks so much that he had no control over where his pitches were going.  Hard to say for sure, but I get the feeling the Phils will come out a little fired up...very bad news for Vargas.  Don’t see him lasting long.

And some weird coincidences last night...Wheeler became the first player in 2019 to throw a ball and hit a ball 100+ mph...in his 100th career start.  And always funny to see how quickly early season numbers can change...Zack’s ERA dropped by a full 1 1/2 runs after last night’s outing (from 6.35 to 4.85).

His last three starts:  20 IP, 16 H, 6 ER, 6 BB, 24 K.  That’s a hell of a lot closer to the guy who tore up the second half of 2019, and I hope it’s legit, because with Syndergaard continuing to be way too hittable and confoundingly ordinary, the Mets needs some arms to start stepping up.  The staff has an ERA over 5.00...that’s simply nowhere near cutting it.

A 5.00 staff era with this kind of pure talent is absolutely comical, but it just goes to show how guys with great stuff...Syndergaard, Matz, wheeler, just continuously, chronically underachieve. Long term none of them have been pitiful or anything (and most of it is on them) but we also don't seem to have a pitching coach who can get the best out of his staff

2 hours ago, '7' said:

A 5.00 staff era with this kind of pure talent is absolutely comical, but it just goes to show how guys with great stuff...Syndergaard, Matz, wheeler, just continuously, chronically underachieve. Long term none of them have been pitiful or anything (and most of it is on them) but we also don't seem to have a pitching coach who can get the best out of his staff

I’m just starting to think as a lot, the starters are simply overrated.  Syndergaard has never been much of a hit suppressor, and has always been injury-prone.  Matz to date is a guy who melts down and comes unglued very easily.  Wheeler’s last three starts are definitely encouraging, but I’m not sure which Wheeler is the real one.  The only one that I have full faith in is deGrom.  He’s the one  guy who is the full package.

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Callaway yanks him with 2 out in the 5th, 1st and 2nd but Hoskins coming up. 89 pitches. Can't say I disagree with the decision

BVW can’t tell me that he’s not trying to find another starting pitcher, when it’s obvious the Mets don’t trust Vargas at all...doesn’t do much good to have to get BP arms up early because you can smell the meltdown coming.  

Wow Hoskins, congrats on your garbage-time HR against a sh!tty mop-up pitcher.  Act like you’ve been there before d!ckhead.  Someone on the Mets staff needs to make that fvcker eat dirt before the season’s out.

And damn the Mets really suck at closing out series so far.  You just knew the Mets would lose tonight.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BVW can’t tell me that he’s not trying to find another starting pitcher, when it’s obvious the Mets don’t trust Vargas at all...doesn’t do much good to have to get BP arms up early because you can smell the meltdown coming.  

Wow Hoskins, congrats on your garbage-time HR against a sh!tty mop-up pitcher.  Act like you’ve been there before d!ckhead.  Someone on the Mets staff needs to make that fvcker eat dirt before the season’s out.

And damn the Mets really suck at closing out series so far.  You just knew the Mets would lose tonight.

I mean it was pretty much set up for it.  Vargas pitching, the Phillies 'fired up' after Rhame's brushback of Hoskins last night so he goes all Joey Bautista I guess tonight.

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I mean it was pretty much set up for it.  Vargas pitching, the Phillies 'fired up' after Rhame's brushback of Hoskins last night so he goes all Joey Bautista I guess tonight.

Yeah, but at the same time, the game was very much in reach through seven...just would’ve been nice to have pulled it out, but no big hits and Gsellman (and some bad luck)...well, sure, sh!t happens.  But the Phils were still kinda slumbering along to start the game...they couldn’t even get to Vargas all that much.

You guys probably already know this, but Gio’s signed with the Brewers.  Glad it wasn’t the Mets...his recent samples were too inconsistent to feel like it would’ve been an automatic upgrade over Vargas...yes, Gio probably could’ve been better, but when he’s been bad, he’s been Vargas bad.  At least if BVW actually wakes up and realizes he needs a starting pitcher, there’s a chance it will be someone with more upside/less downside than Gio.

Phillies are total clowns. They get smacked around two games, manage to salvage one with a lot of luck because the Mets couldn't cash in on a lot of early inning chances...and here's Hoskins strutting around the bases. Something is going to happen between these teams later on

Syndergaard giving up a bunch of hits and not impressing anyone yet again.  Because  of course.  

Noah fvcking Harvey.  fvck off.

Mets now about to go 8-12 since that 5-1 start.  If BVW decides to let Mickey and Dave Eiland go soon, I’m all for it.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976