2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

and of course the $30 million man comes in and instantly kills the momentum.  Any other ex-Met losers you want to bring back BVW?

Love Alonso. I mean they say the ball jumps off some guys bats. It explodes off Alonso's bats. He hits home runs that are on the level of Stanton/Judge sometimes. The guy is going to be a terror to pitchers for many years to come

• Like 2

Much as it’s starting to look like this season is going to go south in a hurry, and as much as that blows, there’s a part of me that doesn’t mind BVW having to eat a serious slice of Humble Pie.  He beat his chest aplenty and seemed to think this was going to be so easy.  

And it’s time to give up on this group of starting pitchers ever becoming a real force.  It’s never going to happen...a team can only be so patient.  If it’s not underperformance, it’s injuries.  

It's just open season on Mets hitters. Guys are getting drilled daily

Now Cano. In a lot of pain gets it on the wrist and has to exit the game of course

All it took was putting on a Mets jersey

Edited by '7'

Gotta give BVW a little credit for putting d’Arnaud and Mets fans out of their collective misery...Sandy would’ve just let this drag out until August or so.  Hopefully that’s the last we see of Travis...Nido isn’t much of a hitter, but at least he can play some defense.  

And at least the Mets don’t slide under .500 for the moment.  Matz had three balls to his fair share of hitters, but managed to get away with it.  

And wow is Broxton just an awful awful hitter.  A Sandy-type acquisition if there ever was one.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And at least the Mets don’t slide under .500 for the moment.  Matz had three balls to his fair share of hitters, but managed to get away with it.  

And wow is Broxton just an awful awful hitter.  A Sandy-type acquisition if there ever was one.

Broxton is absolute garbage. If he's not going to run into the odd fastball and hit it 450 like he did in the past (and he hasn't yet) then I don't want to see him at the plate anymore in any way. At least in his past years he was around .220/.240 despite the K's. As of now he couldn't hit a ball off a tee

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, '7' said:

Broxton is absolute garbage. If he's not going to run into the odd fastball and hit it 450 like he did in the past (and he hasn't yet) then I don't want to see him at the plate anymore in any way. At least in his past years he was around .220/.240 despite the K's. As of now he couldn't hit a ball off a tee

Yeah I really thought the Mets were done with this type of bat once Sandy left.  If you want to keep Broxton around as a late-innings defensive replacement, so be it, but the guy is just a rotten hitter...along with d'Arnaud, he's the LAST guy you want to see coming up to the plate with men on. 

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Gotta give BVW a little credit for putting d’Arnaud and Mets fans out of their collective misery...Sandy would’ve just let this drag out until August or so.  Hopefully that’s the last we see of Travis...Nido isn’t much of a hitter, but at least he can play some defense.  

Mesoraco would have been better than both but we Napalmed that bridge.

6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mesoraco would have been better than both but we Napalmed that bridge.

d'Arnaud NEVER should have been tendered.  That's where the real joke lies. 

Diaz has been lights-out...I can’t get on him.  Mets had plenty of chances to try to take a lead.  And of course, lots of whiffs.

Familia truly is a disaster waiting to happen though...goddamn...

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Diaz has been lights-out...I can’t get on him.  Mets had plenty of chances to try to take a lead.  And of course, lots of whiffs.

Familia truly is a disaster waiting to happen though...goddamn...

Once Lagares made that amazing catch we had to lose. Great Mets outfield plays are always followed by crushing losses

At least the Mets are only two games out of first.  Bad news is their offense has been normalizing, and has cooled off considerably...47 RS in their last 12 GP (3.92 runs per game)...they've given up a whopping 69 runs over that same time frame (5.75 RPG).  Kinda feels amazing that they've gone 4-8 in those games, based on such a rotten run differential (and they actually won a 9-0 game in there...take that out, and they've been outscored 69-38 in the other 11 games). 

One thing I really don't to hear any more from ANY of the starting pitchers is how they need to figure things out, sort out mechanics, etc.  For one, never once have I seen such a bunch of (mostly) inconsistent underachievers use the "mechanics" crutch as much as this group does (when they're actually healthy enough to pitch).  Sorry, these guys have all pitched long enough in the majors...enough is enough.  Of course guys will slump and not always be at their best, but FFS, they need to stop acting like they constantly are trying to figure sh!t out.  What the hell is Eiland there for? 

It's also one thing to get beat, but the team on more than one occasion has looked as brain-dead as its manager.  We know full well that players coming up through the Mets' system aren't exactly well-versed in fundamentals (that seemingly goes back forever), but I really hope BVW has a very short leash on Callaway.  Pitching is supposed to be his specialty...doesn't speak well for him OR Eiland that the staff has been beyond rotten for the first near-fifth of the 2019 season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I don’t really get why all the pitchers have regressed dramatically though...Eiland WAS here last year too when Jake won Cy Young, Wheeler had his dominant last two thirds of the season, Noah looked solid if not as dominant as hoped, even a guy like Familia was decent before getting traded. Now they’ve all collapsed or at least regressed, Jake after being 2018 version in his first couple of starts. Are Brodie and his staff influencing them to do something different? Are they just not adjusting?

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don’t really get why all the pitchers have regressed dramatically though...Eiland WAS here last year too when Jake won Cy Young, Wheeler had his dominant last two thirds of the season, Noah looked solid if not as dominant as hoped, even a guy like Familia was decent before getting traded. Now they’ve all collapsed or at least regressed, Jake after being 2018 version in his first couple of starts. Are Brodie and his staff influencing them to do something different? Are they just not adjusting?

In the end, I'll admit it, I'm just frustrated that with the exception of deGrom (he's the one guy I give a pass to...the guy hadn't slumped in over a season's worth of starts), the other guys can't ever seem to put it together as consistently and as impressively as you would've hoped.  Maybe there isn't a pitching coach alive that can get through to these guys.  Maybe in the end they really are just not that good...or will only be good for limited stretches, and not quite ever to do it over the course of a full season, the way the Scherzers and a few others can. 

Like I've said, I could've understood taking a shot with Familia for one year.  I still don't get why BVW felt so compelled to not only give him three years, but at $10 million per.  But even though I wasn't a big fan of him coming back (just felt like his best days were behind him and that it was time to move on), I never thought he'd be this bad.  He's been a nightmare...in 12.1 IP, he's allowed 12 H, 12 BB, 2 HR and hit 2 batters.  Opponents have a .433 OBP against him this year...yikes.

Fire Mickey NOW.  Are you fvcking KIDDING me?!  Did you really think Familia was taking this home?!