2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Noah was apparently pissy about being taken out last night...that's lovely, but where the hell is that fight and spirit in his other starts?  Because he has games where he looks like he's sleepwalking.

Yeah I'm sure that's why Mickey went all mea culpa about taking him out. 

Who would have thunk VARGAS being the Mets' best starting pitcher in any stretch of the season?  Sort of like Marcus Johnasson with the Devils, he's only picking it up (thankfully) right before we deal him off in what's fast becoming a lost season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

10 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Oh my looks like Cano's pulling a Ces now...right after getting off IL he's about to go back on it :P

Another guy where you wonder if he really even wants to play.  Though at least in the past Cano did play a ton of games.

Mariners have to be laughing their asses off at how they were able to take full advantage of some dipsh!t who got the (undeserved) opportunity to play GM.  All so fvcking lil’ Jeffy could meddle as he saw fit.  You really can’t make this sh!t up.  

Big surprise...Mets didn’t even nibble on Kimbrel.  Because of course they wouldn’t. 

Meh.

.500 clubs are what they are.  The Phillies haven't been able to run away enough yet to truly leave the Mets in the dust, but we've seen conclusively that this team is incapable of putting together the kind of run needed for anyone to ever take this group seriously.  Maybe if they can actually get to 5 games over AND then win a bunch of games against the Phillies, I won't think they're a complete joke.  At least they have some good moments against crappy teams I guess.  Seems like that's all they're good for. 

If I've got this 2019 team pegged, they should be toast by 6/27.  3 games at Atlanta, 4 games at Chicago, and 4 games at Philly.  That trip has somewhere between 2-9 and 4-7 written all over it. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Mets somewhat straightened things out a bit this weekend. Syndergaard finally pitched to his potential (for one game at least) Cano continues to lounge around in the dugout with a big smile on his face, not really try to play...back on the DL.

Friday night of course...deGrom wasn't great but no runs for him. But at least the Mets got to the Rockies pitchers a bit yest and the day before. Frazier is hitting. Ride the wave while you can.

Whatever happened to Nimmo and Lowrie?

Mets are pathetic in every way, but especially trying to field a baseball. Rosario just...doesn't step on 2nd and doesn't get an easy DP. Frazier with an easy hop to get Wheeler out of the inning 4-4. Nope let's just chuck this ball into the seats. Naturally this rattles the gutless Wheeler who walks the next guy and gives up a 3 run shot

Mets will be swept today

Edited by '7'

So yeah I don't think Wheeler is gonna get the $100 million he was hoping for in  FA coming into this season.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

The Yankees won't sweep today; they've only swept 3 double-headers in the past decade I think it was. 

Both teams had some questionable fielding. I'd say you guys had it worse, though. Looking forward to seeing this pitching matchup; Big Maple has been our ace this season and Vargas has been pitching out of his fvcking mind for a month. Should be a good one. 

Eh this game just smacks of a 'come down to earth' bodyslam especially against a good offense.  I don't think Vargas gets out of the fifth inning.

Did anyone really think the Mets were going to stamp themselves as anything better than a middling team today?  This result was about as Met-like as it gets...you just KNEW they were going to come up puny this afternoon.  Because that’s what they always fvcking do.   Ditto their vaunted starting pitching, who as a whole have way too many sh!tty starts, and can’t be counted on come up big when you really need them too.  Sorry it’s not garbage time anymore Zack...he won’t ever have a stretch again like he did last season.

As for Frazier...now the players are apparently parroting their worthless manager and GM.  Silver linings in everything I guess.  Mickey and Brodie could be on the Titanic and the Hindenburg and find positives and plusses.  fvck those two.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Rosario really doesn't impress me in any way. Is he total crap at the plate/field? No. But how the hell was this guy one of the top prospects in all of baseball in the recently. He strikes me as totally average and I just don't really see him growing/maturing to be a good (or very good, what he should be) player

• Like 1

Yeah not impressed with Rosario overall...and with the ball clearly being juiced, I can’t even make a big deal out of his home runs. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah not impressed with Rosario overall...and with the ball clearly being juiced, I can’t even make a big deal out of his home runs. 

He is still 23 so yes, time to grow. But he's closing in on 1000 AB's and his career OBP is .290. He has a negative WAR this season. What exactly is he supposed to be. A totally useless cog that we can probably easily upgrade over. If someone looks at him and falls in love with his abilities and has a glut of good young bullpen arms in their system...I'm listening.

Familia is still a train wreck who can't be trusted

You get the first two outs now problem. Then a well struck ball to right. Could be a double...ends up a single.

Next batter you get rattled and can't find the plate. 4 pitch walk. I mean WHAT THE HELL. How the fvck are you walking guys on 4 straight up 9-3 in the 7th with 2 outs just because 1 guy got a hit you totally go spineless?

If he pitches a clean inning in ANY situation it's by luck alone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Rosario really doesn't impress me in any way. Is he total crap at the plate/field? No. But how the hell was this guy one of the top prospects in all of baseball in the recently. He strikes me as totally average and I just don't really see him growing/maturing to be a good (or very good, what he should be) player

The irony is some of Sandy's prospects have hit recently - Alonso, Conforto, Nimmo for a period of time last year, heck Kelenic looks like one of the top prospects in baseball now (sigh) but the consensus top 100 guys in Rosario and Smith (till this year) have had a more rocky road.  As much as we complained about Reyes - particularly at the end - I'd be thankful if Rosario had even 80% of Reyes's career, on the field at least.

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 hours ago, '7' said:

He is still 23 so yes, time to grow. But he's closing in on 1000 AB's and his career OBP is .290. He has a negative WAR this season. What exactly is he supposed to be. A totally useless cog that we can probably easily upgrade over. If someone looks at him and falls in love with his abilities and has a glut of good young bullpen arms in their system...I'm listening.

Yeah, for his early career he's been a bad hitter...no other way to say it.  He has his random moments and has the occasional hot streak, but starting from his first full season (last year) through now, he's slashed .254/.294/.392, with a .686 OPS and a 90 OPS+.  And he's been an erratic fielder to boot.  Just not all that much to excite so far.  He does have youth on his side, but considering the general hype, he's been underwhelming.

12 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The irony is some of Sandy's prospects have hit recently - Alonso, Conforto, Nimmo for a period of time last year, heck Kelenic looks like one of the top prospects in baseball now (sigh) but the consensus top 100 guys in Rosario and Smith (till this year) have had a more rocky road.  As much as we complained about Reyes - particularly at the end - I'd be thankful if Rosario had even 80% of Reyes's career, on the field at least.

Pretty ironic that BVW might actually wind up cashing in on some of Sandy's players in time, the way that Sandy did on Omar's.  Of course BVW and Jeffy's first offseason was such a colossal disaster that who knows if they ever have a 2015-type season.  As maddening as Sandy often was, he at least showed the ability to make some good moves before the Wilpons basically sucked the life out of him and made him not give a damn anymore.  I have no idea if BVW and Jeffy will ever have that in them. 

Reyes will always be a sad case...a lazy player who was unfortunately content to just rely on his talent.  Heaven forbid he even try to become a real student of the game. 

Diaz is nothing special. I don't think he'll be a sh!t closer or anything but we thought we were getting one of the best in the game and we ended up with an average closer who will have his ups and downs and never again replicate a 2018 50+ save sub 2.00 era season. 

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

Diaz is nothing special. I don't think he'll be a sh!t closer or anything but we thought we were getting one of the best in the game and we ended up with an average closer who will have his ups and downs and never again replicate a 2018 50+ save sub 2.00 era season. 

Think he has the dreaded loser gene.  God knows the Mets have had their share of that kind of player through the years.

45 minutes ago, '7' said:

He is giving me a bit of Benitez vibe atm.  People forget how dominant he was at one point but the guy (like most non-Rivera closers) just could never seem to get it done when it really mattered.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He is giving me a bit of Benitez vibe atm.  People forget how dominant he was at one point but the guy (like most non-Rivera closers) just could never seem to get it done when it really mattered.

And the bolded is part of the problem, in that as Met fans, of course we saw firsthand Rivera do his thing more than anyone...to a certain extent, just about every closer in NY gets unconsciously compared to him.

That being said, let's face it...a lot of the reason we were supposed to be kinda OK with taking on an aging, non-hustling Cano and the many millions he had coming to him (not to mention giving the Mariners a top prospect in Kelenic) was that Diaz was supposed to be the absolute sure thing in this deal...and of course, even better was that he was going to be cost-controlled for several years.  And sadly the realization is growing that he's just another closer...oh sure, he'll have his 12-for-12 type runs, and will occasionally look like the most dominant closer in baseball.  But there will be those very maddening moments too, and yeah, just like Billy Wagner and Armando Benitez and many others, they will have a way of coming at the worst possible and most memorable times...I don't pretend for a second that he won't blow some saves, but I sure as hell wasn't expecting him to be such a high-wire act game in and game out. 

What's especially disconcerting about Diaz so far this season is that he's giving up an awful lot of hits.  Coming into this season, he was only allowing 6.1 H (0.9 HR) per 9 IP.  This year, it's 8.8 H (1.7 HR) per 9 IP, and if anything, it's trending WORSE as of last...19 hits (4 HR) allowed in his last 16 IP.  Man I hope that's limited, small sample stuff, because if that's who Diaz is going to be overall going forward, then he's REALLY firmly in the "Nothing Special" category.  Also the kind of guy who teams start looking to upgrade from in time.