2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

8 hours ago, '7' said:

Diaz and Familia are such an embarrassment at this point. Put them together and I believe they've cost this team about 10 games. I mean 10 losses that would be wins if they're weren't human excrement

Scary when you think that Diaz was supposed to be the absolute “sure thing” in that trade.  This deal could really turn out to be one of those complete disasters that people talk about for YEARS...quite possibly the worst in team history, right up there with the Jim Fregosi trade, and the Seaver deal...but somehow even worse.  Once again, way to go Brodie and Jeffy.  You’re quite the team.  

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Scary when you think that Diaz was supposed to be the absolute “sure thing” in that trade.  This deal could really turn out to be one of those complete disasters that people talk about for YEARS...quite possibly the worst in team history, right up there with the Jim Fregosi trade, and the Seaver deal...but somehow even worse.  Once again, way to go Brodie and Jeffy.  You’re quite the team.  

Yeah because neither of those trades gave us an anchor around our necks (Cano) for years on top of being just historically bad.  Dealing Nolan Ryan was also the classic second guess, especially since he never would have broken out in NY.  The Seaver trade was terrible value and worse that management allowed it to get to that point but more damaging to fan psyche than anything else, the Mets were going to be terrible those years with or without him.

This one, if the players we traded back to Seattle do anything (besides Bruce and Swarzak who didn't do much for THEM either) might get talked about like the Herschel Walker trade.  Or more recently in Brooklyn, Billy King giving up nine thousand lottery picks for Pierce and Garnett.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah because neither of those trades gave us an anchor around our necks (Cano) for years on top of being just historically bad.  Dealing Nolan Ryan was also the classic second guess, especially since he never would have broken out in NY.  The Seaver trade was terrible value and worse that management allowed it to get to that point but more damaging to fan psyche than anything else, the Mets were going to be terrible those years with or without him.

This one, if the players we traded back to Seattle do anything (besides Bruce and Swarzak who didn't do much for THEM either) might get talked about like the Herschel Walker trade.  Or more recently in Brooklyn, Billy King giving up nine thousand lottery picks for Pierce and Garnett.

Yeah, you alluded to what REALLY makes this latest deal the real killer...Cano came here with plenty of red flags (age, lack of hustle, PED cheat), and of course, was still owed plenty in terms of $$$ and term.  And of course, as we well know, some organizations could withstand a bad deal like that, and still find ways to do business and spend if needed.  Not this team...if anything, I can see the Wilpons being almost belligerent with the fan base over this one:  "Well, you wanted us to go out and spend on a star player, we did that!"  No Jeffy...we wanted a star who wasn't approaching his late 30s and hadn't been pinched for PEDs, who wasn't chock full of "maybe this isn't such a good idea" warnings.  I don't think too many Mets fans were terribly enthused about this one from the get-go (though at the time we were thinking "Well, at least there's Diaz, though not so sure this team is screaming for a top-line closer at this point.")

I'm especially aggravated because I know that Jeffy now has his built-in excuse not to do jack sh!t for a while, when it comes to spending any significant coin...because the Met MO is forever to spend their limited funds as stupidly as possibly, then cry poverty when there's actually moves available to them that could actually HELP.  This offseason was a classic example (though of course, with this team being cursed, even some of the moves that seem like they should help somehow turn into disasters)...this team is probably capped out for a while (maybe they'll reinvest Cespedes' money when that comes off the books after 2020).

21 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

- Hey doc, we're really not feeling well. We've lost 7 in a row, our pitching sucks, Bryce doesn't look worth his contract. 

- This is actually fairly common. I'm gonna prescribe a 4 game series with the Mets. It should help. Come back in a week and let me know how you're feeling. 

A week later

- We felt better against the Mets, but we dropped two out of three against Atlanta. We even fell behind Washington

- Jesus, this is aggressive. We can't do this all the time, but let's try the New York treatment again. You'll have a few days off for the all-star break, and it should really help.

- thanks doc, you're a lifesaver.

Who the hell is this guy and what's this about? Who's we? This is the 2nd time he's posted here and I have no idea who he's talking to or about

Edited by '7'

13 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I just have no idea how Diaz crumbled like he did and so soon. I mean he wasn't coming off one good year but rather three years of being an upper echelon reliever. I almost want to believe he's hiding some sort of injury. Because this kind of dropoff at 25 is bizarre and very rare

Cano I feel is just disinterested. I just have that hunch if you put him on the Yankees right now he'll be refocused immediately will suddenly remember how to hit

https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/brodie-van-wagenen-throws-chair-in-heated-meeting-with-mets-coaches/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Tempers are flaring at Citi Field.

A tumultuous Mets season took another strange twist, with general manager Brodie Van Wagenen punctuating a heated meeting with the team’s coaching staff by throwing a chair, according to club sources.

The incident occurred following Friday’s 7-2 loss to the Phillies in which closer Edwin Diaz imploded in the ninth inning, allowing four runs in his latest meltdown.

5 minutes ago, '7' said:

Who the hell is this guy and what's this about? Who's we? This is the 2nd time he's posted here and I have no idea who he's talking to or about

You know coffee...he comes in Met-related threads from time to time to poke the bear...same dude who apparently thinks Philadelphia is the greatest sports mecca ever and is chock full of awesome fans (he's a huge Phillies fan).  It's fine. 

3 minutes ago, '7' said:

I just have no idea how Diaz crumbled like he did and so soon. I mean he wasn't coming off one good year but rather three years of being an upper echelon reliever. I almost want to believe he's hiding some sort of injury. Because this kind of dropoff at 25 is bizarre and very rare

Cano I feel is just disinterested. I just have that hunch if you put him on the Yankees right now he'll be refocused immediately will suddenly remember how to hit

Hopefully Diaz is just having a crappy year (he looked solid earlier), but you can't but wonder if he's the next Rojas...a guy who just completely crumbles in New York.  Right now he's actually far worse than imploders like Benitez, Wagner, etc...those guys did have memorable blow-ups, but at least they did have sustained runs of looking very good.  Diaz just flat-out sucks right now, end of story.

fvck Cano...Mets are really good at paying stiffs who don't really have much interest in playing anymore.  First Cespedes, now Cano...and who knows what's going on with Lowrie?

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/brodie-van-wagenen-throws-chair-in-heated-meeting-with-mets-coaches/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

Tempers are flaring at Citi Field.

A tumultuous Mets season took another strange twist, with general manager Brodie Van Wagenen punctuating a heated meeting with the team’s coaching staff by throwing a chair, according to club sources.

The incident occurred following Friday’s 7-2 loss to the Phillies in which closer Edwin Diaz imploded in the ninth inning, allowing four runs in his latest meltdown.

Oh fvck off Brodie...you and Jeffy are the clowns trying to play GM, when neither one of you are remotely qualified.  Me, 7, and Has can probably do a better job than you did this past offseason.  Not even fvcking joking.

So what do you think Noah...maybe it's not the catcher?  Maybe you're just an overrated cartoon character? 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You know coffee...he comes in Met-related threads from time to time to poke the bear...same dude who apparently thinks Philadelphia is the greatest sports mecca ever and is chock full of awesome fans (he's a huge Phillies fan).  It's fine. 

Hopefully Diaz is just having a crappy year (he looked solid earlier), but you can't but wonder if he's the next Rojas...a guy who just completely crumbles in New York.  Right now he's actually far worse than imploders like Benitez, Wagner, etc...those guys did have memorable blow-ups, but at least they did have sustained runs of looking very good.  Diaz just flat-out sucks right now, end of story.

fvck Cano...Mets are really good at paying stiffs who don't really have much interest in playing anymore.  First Cespedes, now Cano...and who knows what's going on with Lowrie?

Honestly I totally forgot. And was just too lazy to look up his previous posts 😛

Scary as it may sound, it's getting to the point with Lowrie where if it's one more setback...he's probably going to be looking at being shutdown for the rest of the season. 

Mets got fired up in this one, the ridiculous one sided umpiring I think did play a part. And hallelujah Diaz actually held on for the save.

Mets have to plunk a few Phillies tomorrow early on.

6 hours ago, '7' said:

Mets got fired up in this one, the ridiculous one sided umpiring I think did play a part. And hallelujah Diaz actually held on for the save.

Mets have to plunk a few Phillies tomorrow early on.

The funny thing is, I can understand why Frazier completely lost his sh!t (Mets had no business being issued any warnings), and I can understand the usually lifeless Mickey actually getting upset about SOMETHING when Rosario got hit.  BUT, I can also understand why the ump (Gibson) didn’t toss Arrieta for plunking Rosario...it clearly wasn’t intentional, in that the pitch was a change-up, and that the bases were loaded as a result.  

Sure, Mets can drill someone today, but the problem here is that the umps now have their friggin dander up, so that first hit batsman will almost definitely lead to another warning at minimum, and quite possibly an ejection.  They’ll factor in the “history” and almost certainly base their decisions on that.  The Mets may have to wait, though the fact that they’re not playing for anything means if they really want payback, what’s the point of putting it off?  

Back to Frazier, I get being pissed about the warnings, but geez dude, you couldn’t have done a worse job trying to get out of the way of that pitch.  Keith alludes to this a lot...so many of these guys don’t know how to get out of the way of pitches anymore.  

30 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah I can't help but think watch some Met pitcher sail a brushback six inches away from hitting Harper and he's the one to get thrown out a la Thor with Utley the season after the Tejada takeout.  

Maybe Mickey can call the ump a cocksucker if that happens...heh heh...

Some of the dipsh!ts masquerading as “aces” on the Mets should take a good long look at Max Scherzer’s body of work since he signed with the Nationals.  Guy has been an absolute fvcking beast...and at 34, is showing ZERO signs of slowing up.  He’ll probably take home his fourth Cy Young...and oh yeah, he can actually get through a season without winding up on the IL every year.  Guy is a Hall of Famer right now as far as I’m concerned...I say he gets in on short-term dominance (check out his last seven seasons, including this one...WHIP of 0.977, for starters).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

You're totally right about Scherzer. I've been waiting and waiting for him to slowdown and he's been nothing but an absolute horse for the Nats. Just a tireless machine. 

He was a late bloomer too. Didn't become truly dominant until he was 28 years old. Hopefully deGroms future mirrors his

Goddamn Cano is such a piece of sh!t...truly.  

But of course he’s batting fvcking third in the lineup yet again...because heaven fvcking forbid Cano is ever held accountable for ANYTHING EVER.

Don’t let it hit you on the way out Zack.  I for one am going to be so happy as every starter not named deGrom is shown the door.  Get them all out of here.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Lmao of course Bruce will now torment the Mets.  Would’ve been nice to have seen that version of Bruce when he was a Met.  

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Lmao of course Bruce will now torment the Mets.  Would’ve been nice to have seen that version of Bruce when he was a Met.  

We did, when the games didn’t count for much of ‘17 :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, '7' said:

You're totally right about Scherzer. I've been waiting and waiting for him to slowdown and he's been nothing but an absolute horse for the Nats. Just a tireless machine. 

He was a late bloomer too. Didn't become truly dominant until he was 28 years old. Hopefully deGroms future mirrors his

And btw one of the few pitchers who signed a big FA contract and has been worth every penny. Most guys it’s flushing money down a sinkhole, even guys like Kevin Brown who had a solid career wound up not being worth their payday deals. Mike Hampton is another one lol

Edited by NJDevs4978

18 hours ago, '7' said:

Sorry, I was sh1tfaced.

A little roller along first, behind the bag got by Hoskins. And the Mets have life.

31 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And btw one of the few pitchers who signed a big FA contract and has been worth every penny. Most guys it’s flushing money down a sinkhole, even guys like Kevin Brown who had a solid career wound up not being worth their payday deals. Mike Hampton is another one lol

What’s scary is that Scherzer’s W-L record probably should’ve been even BETTER as a National than it’s been.  

But yeah, guy has been that rare FA signing that works out insanely well.  Guy has 100% earned every penny.  

Only real knock on him is that he hasn’t been as good in the playoffs.  But he can pitch for my team any day.  

And congrats to one of the few reasons to even care about the Mets:  Peter Alonso.  Hard to imagine he won’t finish the season with 50+ HR.  Kinda nice to have our version of Aaron Judge.  Just sucks that there are SO many other holes to fill...with no one remotely qualified in the front office to attempt to fill them.  Pete better get used to playing for a lot of irrelevant teams.