2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Holy jumpin', Alonso actually pulled it off...Vladdy Jr probably deserved it but boy you could see how pumped Alonso was in each round.  Nice that one of the rookies won the million in any case since they don't get the big payday now like the vets.

Edited by NJDevs4978

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I'm not usually a Derby fan but hot damn this is actually fun to watch...Vlad and Joc Pederson had an unreal showdown, Alonso somehow got to the Finals with a couple of late surges despite his cousin's pitching sucking as much as the Met bullpen.

Yea I have to admit. Despite them using what seems to be painted tennis balls. The elevation of this event to WWE style had me intrigued

Yeah was happy for Alonso.  Already feels like the Mets don't quite deserve him...guy has so much life and enthusiasm.  No better way to kill that in time than to play for the Wilpon Mets.   

Saw an article in the NYP about trading deGrom (as a hypothetical), and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm on board with that at this point...he's not a kid anymore, and even if his career path goes the Scherzer route (still dominating well into his 30s), right now he has great value (and is cost-controlled).  He could really bring back a lot.  And this is no knock on deGrom...guy has pretty much been a class act and a good soldier for most of his time here, and has seen some great pitching completely wasted due to the dipsh!ts "in charge" who haven't the slightest idea how to build a baseball team.  The current GM's only place in Met history will be as the in-over-his-head carnival barker buffoon who made perhaps THE dumbest and most reckless trade in franchise history (though I'm sure the meddler thought it was a brilliant deal at the time).  deGrom is simply too good for the Mets, and though it's somewhat on him because he did ultimately choose to stick around, I think he deserves a true reward for trying to be loyal and a cornerstone here...and that's to pitch somewhere for a team that actually has its sh!t together.  That will never happen here.  

That being said, I don't want to see it happen until:

1) BVW is shown the door, and an actual GM with some credentials is given the job.

2) Jeffy once and for is banned from meddling and trying to act like a baseball man.

Because I barely trust these clowns to get anything remotely useful for Wheeler, Frazier, and Vargas...you're obviously not getting something sure-fire for any of those three anyway, but I'd like to think the Mets could get SOMETHING of value somewhere if all three of those bodies are moved. 

Hey MB3...your proposal isn’t terrible (maybe throw in one lower-level prospect in there to sweeten the pot just a little), but I think Cashman would school BVW and Jeffy so badly that trading deGrom at this point would be a complete disaster.  What I’d really like to see (but won’t) would be for Jeffy to see the damned light, stay the fvck out of personnel decisions, and hire a legit GM.  And really let that guy do what needs to be done.

34 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hey MB3...your proposal isn’t terrible (maybe throw in one lower-level prospect in there to sweeten the pot just a little), but I think Cashman would school BVW and Jeffy so badly that trading deGrom at this point would be a complete disaster.  What I’d really like to see (but won’t) would be for Jeffy to see the damned light, stay the fvck out of personnel decisions, and hire a legit GM.  And really let that guy do what needs to be done.

That's even assuming Jeff would even let Agent Brodie deal with the Yankees.  If trading ****ing Jay Bruce and Neil Walker over there was a no-go I can't even imagine a scenario short of Judge coming over here where they'd dare trade deGrom to the Yankees.

But in a world where Jeff did allow the GM to deal with the Yankees (and the GM wasn't a complete stooge) yeah that deal would actually be somewhat plausible.

Edited by NJDevs4978

22 hours ago, MB3 said:

Hi, I'm back for the annual "The Yankees have terrible starting pitching, plz help" post. 

What would deGrom cost the Yankees? Knowing full well that Houston has more pieces to pull off the trade, but let's ignore that for this discussion. Would a package that has Andujar, German, and Loisiga as the three main pieces get the phones working? An infield of Alonso-McNiel-Rosiario-Andujar is pretty fvcking electrifying. German looks like a stud so far in his young career, and Loisiga is the Yankees best farm arm. 

EDIT: Ran this trade through baseball's trade simulator. Mets total value gained is 68.8. Yankees total value gained is 55.2. Ok guys, let's make this trade.

That's not a bad proposal. Like CR mentioned it would probably take a little more on the Yankees end (and I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige) still I think the Mets view deGrom as somebody who can be the linchpin to what will hopefully be a successful turnaround and maybe a 3-4 year good run starting in 2020. I don't see them even fielding offers for him. It would be a massive organizational bombshell if they do move him.

Edited by '7'

57 minutes ago, '7' said:

That's not a bad proposal. Like CR mentioned it would probably take a little more on the Yankees end (and I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige) still I think the Mets view deGrom as somebody who can be the linchpin to what will hopefully be a successful turnaround and maybe a 3-4 year good run starting in 2020. I don't see them even fielding offers for him. It would be a massive organizational bombshell if they do move him.

What's funny is that the Mets do actually have some talent at the moment...but of course, for some reason they continue to ignore the fact that guys should be playing certain positions.  The Mets have always acted like they can just stick bats everywhere with no concern about defense.  That sadly goes all the way to the CASHEN days.  The MO is just terrible.  And I don't see how this team can EVER put together a legit run until this stops. 

Sadly I'm not shocked...there were hints in the news here and there that he was struggling with this again over the past 2-3 years...he could've slipped before and simply not been caught, but unfair to speculate on that.  Hope he can pull it together, but it's hard to imagine that this won't be anything but a continued lifelong struggle. 

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

There are no more words for this sh!t

It's going to be a lifelong battle for him

I'm not upset or angry or anything. Relapses are all too common. He just has to get back into rehab and start anew

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, '7' said:

It's going to be a lifelong battle for him

I'm not upset or angry or anything. Relapses are all too common. He just has to get back into rehab and start anew

Yeah pretty much this.  Feel for him because in his memoir, though we know a relapse is always a possibility, he really seemed to feel like he’d managed to conquer his demons once and for all.  Now he’s probably headed to jail...think that was the deal if he was caught with drugs again.

2-0 to the Marlins and with 2 outs...2 run HR to Curtis Granderson and a bomb to whatever next no name batter is

This is going to be what our fourth consecutive loss to the Marlins. NOBODY should be safe

I'm starting to believe Florida will pass us this season. Unlike the Mets, they're not gutless

just dejecting and depressing. We had some dark days under Collins, but even under the worst of Collins the team always seemed to fight and care moreso than they do now. Granderson hit that HR and the Mets essentially curled up and died and it was inning THREE. Everything about them is just so pathetic and hapless under Callaway. They truly took on the personality of their manager

Did you catch BVW on with Fat fvck, on the WFAN?  It was about what you would’ve expected...BVW came off like an oblivious blowhard, with a lot of fake “We will figure this out” bravado.  As much as I don’t like Mike, he was pretty good this time...asked some tough questions, and flat-out told BVW that the fans don’t trust him at all (and would basically consider all of his “I’m still confident” bluster exactly that), and that he’s done a lousy job to date.  Much less of a softball interview than I was expecting.

15 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Ok, I don't mean to laugh at your collective pain as Mets fans, but holy hell this thread is comedic gold. The ****** Mets, man. 

We have no choice but to laugh at this point.  

15 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL finally one night the way Brodie drew it up...too little, too late for this year though.

Only real positive takeaway was a solid outing by Syndergaard

Wheeler I'd trade. Matz...gone. Syndergaard I'd hold on to through this deadline

One thing I'll say about the Mets and them being potential sellers at the deadline. As of now after this horrific neverending swoon...they're 6.5 out of the 2nd wild card

If the deadline rolls around and the Mets are sitting say 3.5 out of the 2nd wild card, will Brodie sell?

deGrom really laboring out there today. A surprise to nobody as Ramos is catching him. Ramos and deGrom are just not on the same page. Seriously Nido needs to catch deGrom every start. Even day game after night game. 

Apparently the problem with Ramos is that he knows he can’t handle offspeed stuff in the dirt, so he calls a lot of fastballs...which is why deGrom and Syndergaard absolutely do not want to throw to him.  I’m all for a catcher being able to hit, but the Mets should just dump Ramos ASAP, and simply let Nido handle the catching as much as possible for the rest of this season.  See how much his bag can develop.  I did like the Ramos signing initially, but he’s clearly just a very bad fit.  

I definitely want Ramos gone. I mean when he plays the Mets he's Babe Ruth but he's awful handling a staff, his bat is starting to slip, and he is almost impossibly slow on the basepaths

Mets will blow this game too. That's a certainty. deGrom just has no gas in the 5th and is going to get lit up here