2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Dom Smith has been cooling off a bit...hope this isn’t the beginning of him coming back to Earth, because he’s definitely been one of the more fun stories in a season that hasn’t had many of them at all.

Nice to see this damned team get deGrom a win for once.

3 hours ago, '7' said:

I definitely want Ramos gone. I mean when he plays the Mets he's Babe Ruth but he's awful handling a staff, his bat is starting to slip, and he is almost impossibly slow on the basepaths

Mets will blow this game too. That's a certainty. deGrom just has no gas in the 5th and is going to get lit up here

I think the Mets will play Wilson a lot (even when deGrom and Syndergaard are pitching) in the hopes of moving him.  Probably hoping his bat picks up, though with his defense clearly on the decline, not sure if a hot bat would be enough to get a team to take him.  

Though no one's come out and said it outright...it looks like this organization has serious doubts about Rosario's future as a SS here.  We've heard the chatter about moving him to CF (?!), and we're hearing more and more about his lack of range at short...and of course there's his weak bat...don't be fooled by the uptick in his hitting numbers...he's still putting up an OPS+ of 92, which is below average (100).  He's young, but the general feeling is that he's not really showing much improvement in any particular aspect of his game. 

What sucks about this of course that the Mets have treated him like this fvcking untouchable for how many years now, and how he was a future star and one of the franchise's big-time prospects (and even if his bat would be a little iffy, he would still be a fielding monster).  What also sucks is that this is no longer a guy with a lot of trade value anymore...he doesn't do any one thing particularly well.

Supposedly the new fair-haired boy "SS of the future" is now 20-year-old Andres Gimenez, who's currently in AA.  I really hope HIS glove is up to snuff, because his offensive numbers sure as hell don't do much to wow.  In his last 49 GP with Bingo, he's slashing .231/.294/.330.  He's also struck out 46 times and walked only 11.  Does that not sound the potential coming of Amed Rosario Part Deux?  Hell, in Rosario's defense, he SHREDDED it with Bingo while he was there...slashed .341/.392/.481.  And he was the same age as Gimenez is now. 

So why exactly are we supposed to be excited about HIM potentially displacing Rosario?  Like I said, his glove better be fvcking dynamite. 

And of COURSE Wheeler heads to the IL just before the trade deadline.  Because why wouldn't he?! 

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Though no one's come out and said it outright...it looks like this organization has serious doubts about Rosario's future as a SS here.  We've heard the chatter about moving him to CF (?!), and we're hearing more and more about his lack of range at short...and of course there's his weak bat...don't be fooled by the uptick in his hitting numbers...he's still putting up an OPS+ of 92, which is below average (100).  He's young, but the general feeling is that he's not really showing much improvement in any particular aspect of his game. 

What sucks about this of course that the Mets have treated him like this fvcking untouchable for how many years now, and how he was a future star and one of the franchise's big-time prospects (and even if his bat would be a little iffy, he would still be a fielding monster).  What also sucks is that this is no longer a guy with a lot of trade value anymore...he doesn't do any one thing particularly well.

Supposedly the new fair-haired boy "SS of the future" is now 20-year-old Andres Gimenez, who's currently in AA.  I really hope HIS glove is up to snuff, because his offensive numbers sure as hell don't do much to wow.  In his last 49 GP with Bingo, he's slashing .231/.294/.330.  He's also struck out 46 times and walked only 11.  Does that not sound the potential coming of Amed Rosario Part Deux?  Hell, in Rosario's defense, he SHREDDED it with Bingo while he was there...slashed .341/.392/.481.  And he was the same age as Gimenez is now. 

So why exactly are we supposed to be excited about HIM potentially displacing Rosario?  Like I said, his glove better be fvcking dynamite. 

And the Mets being the Mets they even flubbed a no-brainer benching of Rosario on Sunday when they tried to hide the fact it was a benching publicly yet told the Mets' radio guys it was.  Of course that was going to come out, it's as if they actively try to come off buffonish or just pandering to everyone.  It's such a no-brainer benching fans wouldn't even care about the bad optic of letting Cano slide for similar sh!t in this case.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And of COURSE Wheeler heads to the IL just before the trade deadline.  Because why wouldn't he?! 

Didn't even hear about the injury per se, just saw Puma commenting on Twitter about how he'd only have one or two starts before the deadline to show he was healthy and well, I had pretty much the same reaction.

9 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And the Mets being the Mets they even flubbed a no-brainer benching of Rosario on Sunday when they tried to hide the fact it was a benching publicly yet told the Mets' radio guys it was.  Of course that was going to come out, it's as if they actively try to come off buffonish or just pandering to everyone.  It's such a no-brainer benching fans wouldn't even care about the bad optic of letting Cano slide for similar sh!t in this case.

I'm not sure I've seen a more incompetently-run franchise in MLB.  There's something almost WEEKLY with them.  They can't even get something right by accident. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Mets sent their top scout to go see Deivi Garcia’s debut tonight in Scranton. Deivi is the Yankees best (non-Martian) prospect and has been skyrocketing up the prospect lists lately; up to the top 50 in prospectus’ mid season rankings. 

The only way the Yankees let go of him is if it’s for Noah or deGrom. Maybe it isn’t entirely out of the realm of possibilities we see a Yankees mets trade. 

Interesting but yeah I don't see that happening unless it was some blockbuster for Thor.  Even then I'd be wary, I like the kid but Cashman's a wizard at giving up the guys that don't pan out and keeping the ones that do - Justus Sheffield being the latest example of one that didn't and they moved on from - so I'd be a little worried if he was willing to trade Garcia to us with how much he's been talked about.

And also in the Mets being Mets category, it figures suddenly Travis d'Arnaud found his bat in Tampa, and Hansel Robles of all people has become a solid closer for the Angels (!!!)

Edited by NJDevs4978

No one can get on the Mets for moving on from d'Arnaud (Mets dealt with plenty of underperformance, inconsistency, and injuries, not to mention that he wound up becoming a terrible defensive catcher), but of course, the WAY they moved from him was beyond stupid.  Basically they're stuck paying him while he goes on a nice little hot burst with another team.  I don't kid myself that he had much in the way of trade value, but it's hard to imagine that the Mets couldn't have at least done something where they had finally gotten rid of him AND managed not to pay him almost $3 million.  But this is what happens when an owner thinks he's a baseball man and a GM, the agent masquerading as the GM thinks he can use fantasy-league tactics to bluster and bullsh!t his way into building a roster, and the pitching coach who clearly has no managerial ability is left out and about to continually embarrass himself every time he opens his yap.  At least I'm enjoying my summer...amazing how easy it is to do that when you don't invest yourself too much in this sh!tstorm.   

On 7/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm still looking at Rosario and wondering what the hell did he ever do to be considered one of the top prospects IN BASEBALL. He's just so meh at everything. He's ok, he's decent at some things. He'll go through some nice stretches...then he'll sag into the 0.2 WAR guy that he is that we can upgrade over.

And Rosario still hasn't developed the eye at the plate that you'd want. His OBP is FINALLY over .300  but who knows how long that will last. Reyes at least learned how to walk. And yea I know of the whole "you don't walk off the island" stuff but Rosario just doesn't progress. He still chases outside crap. And now we're over 1000 at bats in

17 hours ago, MB3 said:

I immediately got very drunk and very sad. 

Terrible terrible terrible pitch selection. I don’t know who to blame, but the entire at bat it was obvious that D’arnoud wouldn’t catch up to a fastball. 

Hurr durr lets hang him a slider.

He loves that short porch in Yankee stadium

In past Mets/Yankees games I'm sure he's hit about 3 other home runs there before

10 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

No one can get on the Mets for moving on from d'Arnaud (Mets dealt with plenty of underperformance, inconsistency, and injuries, not to mention that he wound up becoming a terrible defensive catcher), but of course, the WAY they moved from him was beyond stupid.  Basically they're stuck paying him while he goes on a nice little hot burst with another team.  I don't kid myself that he had much in the way of trade value, but it's hard to imagine that the Mets couldn't have at least done something where they had finally gotten rid of him AND managed not to pay him almost $3 million.  But this is what happens when an owner thinks he's a baseball man and a GM, the agent masquerading as the GM thinks he can use fantasy-league tactics to bluster and bullsh!t his way into building a roster, and the pitching coach who clearly has no managerial ability is left out and about to continually embarrass himself every time he opens his yap.  At least I'm enjoying my summer...amazing how easy it is to do that when you don't invest yourself too much in this sh!tstorm.   

Oh I agree, if anything they probably waited too long on d’Arnaud.... it’s just typical Mets that he leaves and starts producing. And yeah, obviously it’s not a surprise that the franchise that will be paying Bobby Bonilla until I’m eligible for Social Security managed to fvck up ridding themselves of an unproductive player.

Edited by MadDog2020

Pathetic clown Diaz took it to the wire but somehow, someway the Mets gut this out.

And get 5 shutout bullpen innings somehow, on the road against a team that's going to hit 6,000 home runs this year

16 hours ago, '7' said:

I'm still looking at Rosario and wondering what the hell did he ever do to be considered one of the top prospects IN BASEBALL. He's just so meh at everything. He's ok, he's decent at some things. He'll go through some nice stretches...then he'll sag into the 0.2 WAR guy that he is that we can upgrade over.

And Rosario still hasn't developed the eye at the plate that you'd want. His OBP is FINALLY over .300  but who knows how long that will last. Reyes at least learned how to walk. And yea I know of the whole "you don't walk off the island" stuff but Rosario just doesn't progress. He still chases outside crap. And now we're over 1000 at bats in

He loves that short porch in Yankee stadium

In past Mets/Yankees games I'm sure he's hit about 3 other home runs there before

I never really expected all that much from Rosario as a hitter in the majors, even though he clearly looked good at times in the minors (AA in particular...hard to make a huge deal out of his Vegas numbers, for obvious reasons). 

But yeah, if you put much stock into WAR, he's now at 1.0 for his entire major-league career (291 GP).  What's frustrating is that it seems like the Mets just ignored his fielding shortcomings in the minors (which WERE apparent) and assumed he'd get better.  He hasn't.  And if you look at his fielding numbers, he actually appears to rank BELOW average in a number of them:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rosaram01.shtml

No wonder we're starting to hear about Gimenez (whose bat appears to have even less life than Rosario's...some will say "Well Gimenez is young", but I've already made the direct AA comparison, and the 20-year-old Rosario ran circles around the 20-year-old Gimenez...it's not even close), and hearing about a position switch for Rosario.  Sadly, it's looking more and more like Rosario will be either be a poor man's starting SS at best (think bad team or stopgap, a guy who winds up playing for 6 or 7 teams for his career), or a backup by the time he's 26 or so. 

But yeah, seems more and more like the guy was wildly overhyped.  And apparently not capable of getting all that much better than he is right now.

Mets send Wilmer Font to the Blue Jays for cash

I don't think he's all that good (nor is he young) but I don't know would've probably given him a bit of a longer look. We really can't afford to be punting any sort of bullpen guys. Still I doubt anything comes of him.

Meh, I'm pretty indifferent to this.  Wasn't much there.  Guy allowed 8 HR in 31 IP here too. 

14-4. What an onslaught. 

Though for me to get my hopes up again they need to take 3 of 4 in San Fran. Do that and I'll maybe start believing again (though they'd still be under .500) at least the needle will be pointed upward

lol whoever stayed up for all 16 innings of that fiasco deserves an autographed Pete Alonso bat, free tickets, whatever.

Too bad it’s only Evan this morning on the radio lol, but I’m sure he was one of the tortured souls that made it through all 16 innings.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah I didn't watch at all...to be quite honest, I expected Noah to come up puny in this one, but he didn't.  But of course friggin' Michael Conforto once again summoned up the spirit of post-2008 David Wright, and struck out in the 10th with runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Conforto is yet another guy who NO ONE is scared of in a big spot.  Guy rarely comes up with the big memorable hit.  No surprise that he cranked in the second half of last season in pure garbage time.  Really getting tired of him and his disappearing acts. 

Just now, MB3 said:

I was having trouble sleeping so I watched from the 11th to the 16th. Fell asleep after Meat's home-run.

Man.

Oh man, you couldn't find ANYTHING else to watch?!  lmao 

What's funny is many nights when I can't sleep, I probably would've watched much of the game too...I'm just so disgusted by the way the Wilpon Mets conduct themselves that I'm just finding it impossible to spend time watching them right now.  But for the Mets to lose the way that they did...that's as Mets as it gets.  You probably won't find one Met fan that would've been surprised at that outcome.