2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

The hard part about watching or caring now is until the deadline you actually fear that illusory hot streak which would lead Brodie to making a Kazmir-Zambrano type deal because oh, we’re only 3.5 games out of the second WC. Yeah good luck passing all those teams AND beating the Nats or whomever then beating a 110-win Dodger team just to get to the NLCS.

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The hard part about watching or caring now is until the deadline you actually fear that illusory hot streak which would lead Brodie to making a Kazmir-Zambrano type deal because oh, we’re only 3.5 games out of the second WC. Yeah good luck passing all those teams AND beating the Nats or whomever then beating a 110-win Dodger team just to get to the NLCS.

And BVW and Jeffy would ABSOLUTELY be the kind of duo who would double-down on a severely flawed sub-.500 team.  Yeah, seven teams between the Mets and the WC2 team.  The Mets should not be considering any other option other than selling...even though they really don't have much to sell.  Frazier and Vargas are pretty much it, and they're Plan B, C, and D types.  I'd see what I could get for Syndergaard, but I don't think the front office is terribly willing to entertain that option. 

It's funny, you wonder how many of these "In The Race" NL WC hopefuls consider themselves to be legit.  It's not like any of them teams in that chase have even remotely gaudy records.  They're all pretty much right above or a bit below .500. 

As far as the Mets go, last night was THE final nail.  Sorry, you can't lose a game like last night's if you're trying to make a run out such a deep hole...you don't have that luxury.  Good news is they should conclusively be toast by the end of this trip, so BVW and Jeffy shouldn't even try to think about propping this group up with any right-now deals. 

For the most part, I don't have much issue with managers and players getting on these umps...they screw up aplenty, often incite confrontation, and get that smug lil "You can't touch me!  You can't touch me!" look on their faces when they've clearly fvcked up, and someone is giving them the business.  There's also complete scum like Angel Hernandez and Joe West STILL working...in a way I can't blame them for feeling untouchable, because that's pretty much what they've been for their entire careers, no matter how bad of a job they do. 

MB3...as long as you're not coming in here to rub our faces in Met incompetence, as far as I'm concerned I don't mind a little Yankee talk.  Better than ranting about the Wilpons, BVW, and the general state of the Mets...which is about all we have left.  There's some obvious bright spots (Alonso and McNeil, really), but sadly those two can't overshadow everything else.  Credit to Dom Smith for surviving the Mets "Stick a guy anywhere" philosophy, and playing reasonably well in LF. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I almost posted that too, just cause it reminded me of Terry’s leaked audio bitching out the ump after Thor was ejected throwing behind Utley with no warning. Boone saying that is hilarious cause it’s about as unlikely (on paper) as Callaway saying that.

YOU C*CKSUCKER!  lmao 

I completely lost my sh!t in front of my daughter because of that one...she's actually become completely immune to me when I'm having a full-on sports tantrum (she just looks at me and says "Daddy, they can't hear you"), but my wife was PISSED as hell at me.  Even more aggravating was you could tell that lil' rookie umpire callup was so proud of himself...right pal, everyone showed up to that game to watch YOU...that was one time I really wanted to see someone slug an ump, wrong as that might have been. 

Hard to think that unless he suddenly finds some kind of form out of nowhere, that Matt Harvey won't be an "Invited to Spring Training with a Chance To Make the Team" candidate next season.  His numbers (when he's been healthy enough to pitch), with the exception of a few starts, have been absolutely abysmal.  I'm thinking if he's not done this year, he will be sometime in 2020.

this has to be a curse at this point. This is beyond bizarre what happens to them. 

The Cubs in 100+ years did not endure the gut punches that we have since 1986. That is a fact

Edited by '7'

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hard to think that unless he suddenly finds some kind of form out of nowhere, that Matt Harvey won't be an "Invited to Spring Training with a Chance To Make the Team" candidate next season.  His numbers (when he's been healthy enough to pitch), with the exception of a few starts, have been absolutely abysmal.  I'm thinking if he's not done this year, he will be sometime in 2020.

I thought he would be a ST invite this year and he wound up getting $11 million.  So probably when I don't think he should even get a ST invite next year he'll still get one cause of his name.  But yeah it looks pretty much over for him.  It went all downhill for him after he came out for the ninth inning of Game 5.

The Angels had a horrible offseason between Harvey, Trevor Cahill and Cody Allen getting paid nearly $30 million to all suck lol...granted all on one-year deals but yeesh.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I want to feel bad for Harvey, and while I don't take any joy in his misfortune (because some of his misfortune caused the Mets misfortune on the field) but despite him just being a textbook douche, a Rags fan, and just an unbelievably smug unlikable guy...he ran into some serious bad luck that pretty much nobody can come back from. And he tried. He didn't quit. He didn't just take his ball and go home when it got too tough. He tried every which way and the velocity just can't come back. 

Maybe there's some way back for him, I don't know...somehow Jose Rijo made it back. Dave Dravecky made it back and it cost him his arm. Harvey may resurface in a few years. But as of today its over

Fair take on Harvey ‘7’.  Yeah, the guy made himself very hard to root for (and did often act like a jerk), but he didn’t quit.

Of course, one STILL wonders who the hell the Angels were bidding against when they signed him for $11 million.  I could understand a one-year flyer on him for maybe $5-6 million...he showed just enough with the Reds that I could see a team willing to make that kind of an offer.  But $11 million was something BVW would have done.  I just can’t imagine there was anything resembling a bidding war for that version of Harvey.  

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fair take on Harvey ‘7’.  Yeah, the guy made himself very hard to root for (and did often act like a jerk), but he didn’t quit.

Of course, one STILL wonders who the hell the Angels were bidding against when they signed him for $11 million.  I could understand a one-year flyer on him for maybe $5-6 million...he showed just enough with the Reds that I could see a team willing to make that kind of an offer.  But $11 million was something BVW would have done.  I just can’t imagine there was anything resembling a bidding war for that version of Harvey.  

Yea 11 million was strange. I mean even his improvement last year I don't think his velocity really started to come back. It was mostly a smoke and mirrors type thing. I'm not sure what the Angels were thinking here or if there were teams involved that we don't know about

To both MD2020’s and Has’ posts:

Seriously, what next?  

Looks like Doc will be headed to prison sooner than later.  

And I guess it’s only a matter of time before we see proctologist’s ads in center field.  Hell, why not just affix one to the Home Run Apple Hat?  

Can someone tell the fvcking Wilpons that foul pole ads are better reserved for Syracuse and/or Binghamton?  How do they NEVER have a clue about what sucks until someone tells them later?

Yea I'm thinking Doc needs a personal intervention at this point (not that one has never been tried before, but he's had periods of sober-hood) but right now he is not in control of his own life and needs to be placed...against his own will if need be...into a rehabilitation program by loved ones. It has to happen

Dear Noah,

God you’re such an overrated zilch.  You’ll never put it together consistently.  

I’m sure it was nuts MB3, but my interest in baseball right now is kinda dead.  The Mets sucking isn’t helping of course, but I hate what the game has become, with the constant whiffs and juiced-ball HRs.  Guys refusing to adjust to shifts.  Guys who can’t be bothered to hustle or have no grasp of fundamentals.  Hockey can’t come soon enough.

Wow, whatta shock that David Wright Part Deux struck out in a huge spot.  So predictable.  Conforto taking that loser torch from Wright and apparently ain’t letting go.  Mets gotta move on from him this offseason.  Conforto scares NO ONE...except the fans who can smell the K coming in key moments.  Loser.  

Familia LOL...well done Brodie, well done.

oh, and to the two GM wannabes who think they’re baseball minds...how ‘bout putting players WHERE THEY BELONG IN THE FIELD?!

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

No to the above.  Frazier's got potential but he seems like a guy who's not going to get on base much and will strike out a ton (but does have power)...Sandy Alderson used to love stocking up on guys like him. 

Loisiga hasn't done very much above A+.  He's also hurt at the moment. 

I get that taking Cano off the Mets' hands counts for something, and I'm definitely not high on Syndergaard at the moment (I'm just tired of his being underwhelming far too often, and his inability to ever suppress hits), but I wouldn't feel great about making this deal if I'm the Mets. 

On another note, man do I feel for deGrom.  If he ever demanded a trade, I wouldn't blame him one bit.  Mets don't deserve him.