2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Morosi reporting that the Padres are hesitant to include Gore in trade talks with the Mets, because the Mets didn’t include any top-100 prospects in a trade for Stroman.

how ironic would it be that the Mets set the market too low for a trade? All of my Mets fan friends now don’t want to trade Noah. A starting rotation of degrom, stroman, Noah, Vargas, wheeler/prospect/FA would be the best in baseball next year. 

lol...that's probably major-league posturing though, especially since there's a whole year difference in team control between Thor and Stroman.

As far as the latter, I'm not expecting Thor to be here past Thursday.  If he is then Brodie really is being pie in the sky about wanting a 'major league-ready contributor' for him (Frazier, Kyle Tucker, etc) plus other stuff.  Or maybe this is just some bizarro attempt at motivating him, all these trade rumors.

In a world where we do have both Thor and Stroman next week yeah it's absolutely an option the Mets go into next season with deGrom-Stroman-Thor-Matz and Vargas as their five (Vargas has a option they might actually pick up for $6 million at this point).

Hard to give BVW the benefit of the doubt here.  Feels like there’s absolutely no plan. Like MB3 alluded to, are the Mets buyers?  Sellers?  The Mets’ rotation minus deGrom is clearly overrated, but that was hardly the most pressing need for this team.  And yeah, BVW can’t seem to toss prospects into deals fast enough.  Whole thing is just bizarre.  

Brodieworld indeed.

It really is next to impossible. They’re not just 5.5 back but behind a million other teams.   They’ve gone 10-5 since the break and made up one lousy game. We saw this phenomenon toward the end of the Devils illusory 2011 surge when they could never get closer than six points despite still winning in early March. If they are going to insist on throwing out the illusion of contending at least get something with a pulse to help the garbage pen, because they actually would be in a contender role if the entire pen wasn’t a dumpster fire of biblical proportions.

Edited by NJDevs4978

LOL well at least this ends the illusion of 'win-now' if you're dealing Vargas off to a division team in front of you

And for an organizational return AA catcher...yep a why bother return.  Might as well have traded Wheeler for an actual something.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=664866#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

Edited by NJDevs4978

I don't know if this Vargas trade is indicative of anything. He's smoke and mirrored it long enough to gain some value back, now they can pawn him off somewhere for whatever they can get for him. Probably next to nothing

This doesn't guarantee anything for Wheeler or Syndergaard. This team needs to much (especially in the pen) and perhaps young arms for the farm to replace Kay (and maybe a catching prospect who can actually throw a runner out at 2nd) that W & S cannot get comfortable. I'm don't think both are going...but I sense one still may be.

35 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL well at least this ends the illusion of 'win-now' if you're dealing Vargas off to a division team in front of you

And for an organizational return AA catcher...yep a why bother return.  Might as well have traded Wheeler for an actual something.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=664866#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

Yeah, that’s about as “body for a bag of balls” as it gets.  Not saying Vargas was ever a sexy asset, but like you said, basically got nothing for him.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

5 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And of course this guy was a teammate of Jeffy's son in college.

So Meddlin’ Jeffy is at it again.  Same ol Wilponzi Mets.

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

Didn’t Vargas have the best peripherals on the team besides deGrom?

its so confusing. This is a management that refused to deal with the Yankees even when they offer the best package (jay Bruce comes to mind).... so if you’re only 4.5 games back and trying to sell the fans on a march to the playoffs, why give a division rival who’s directly in front of you a starting pitcher they so desperately need?

Apparently the Phils threw in $2.9 million into the deal...that explains getting so little in return otherwise.  Vargas also has a 4.71 FIP...in general I think we’ve been trying to figure out exactly how he’s been having such a respectable season to date, but he’s often been erratic throughout his career.  I don’t want to imply that there was much intelligence involved with this deal, but I guess there’s a chance that BVW thinks that better that Vargas’ almost inevitable regression comes with the Phillies than his own team.

4 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL...putting the guy in trade rumors every day since winter caused tension?  Shocking, I know

That Twitter post kinda sums Noah up.  Guy seems like he’s more interested in being a cartoon character than he is in becoming an actual pitcher.  He’s truly embraced this “Thor” crap way too tightly.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I kind of understand his point at how a 2nd straight season having your name kicked around at the deadline isn't fun, but you know this year he's partially to blame for it, and in previous years he's shown some immaturity and plenty of frustrating periods where it seems like his growth as a true pitcher has been stunted. You're big tough Thor...but you're also making instagram posts about how your feelings are hurt and it's such an emotional rollercoaster. Give me a break

So far so good this game though. Let's hope he keeps it up. We should beat up on the White Sox.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

So the two biggest targets, Stroman and Bauer, go to two non-playoff NL teams. 

bro I am straight up not havin a good time 

This makes the Mets-Stroman deal look normal by comparison.  I legit don't know what two of the teams (SD and Cinci) in the deal are doing.  The Indians shockingly came out looking great when they would have been criticized dealing Bauer under normal circumstances.  Cinci dealing their top prospect and Puig for an extra year of Bauer is puzzling, not like Bauer helps them contend THIS year.  SD dealing a starting outfielder on a 35-HR pace and a prospect for another prospect is also head-scratching.

And to add even more farce there was a benches-clearing brawl in Cinci where Puig went nuts...could you imagine if he somehow got hurt in that fight?  It would have been even worse than leaving Wilmer in to cry after he got traded.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Looks like Noah may be staying now...he said that he thinks he’s staying put.  Would be nice to see him finally get on a real roll, but I’ve seen him be Meh far too often to now be convinced that he’s going to go on a tear.

Yeah, Diaz might simply be one of those guys that can’t handle NY.  But not like there’s a legit closing candidate in the system waiting to take his spot.

Great for the Mets that they’re suddenly within sniffing distance of .500, but man do they have a LONG way to go.  If they can get to 5+ games over .500 with 5 weeks or so left in the season, then maybe I’ll start to let myself dream about the impossible.  But not until then. 

Well it would be goofy even by Met standards to pitch Thor last night if a deal was actually close although like someone pointed out on NYFS, maybe Brodie just wanted to pitch him to tempt deadline offers even more which would actually make sense in Brodie's stupid contrarian world.

I'm caught in between wanting to trade Diaz and preparing to roll my eyes when we take 50 cents on the dollar just months after dealing two of our best prospects for him.  It does seem like he can't pitch in NY but it's not like the stuff isn't there, he still has 63 K's in 41 IP.

So apparently this deadline's gonna be one big eyeroll...put Thor and Diaz on the block for nothing, have the price at Wheeler be so high nobody else is even bothering, don't even put Frazier on the block.  Typical Mets, stand pat and play for win-now five games out of the second WC without actually TRYING to win-now by adding another pen piece.

• Like 1

Yeah, if you’re in win now mode, then address your main weakness.  God this franchise is fvcked up.  

36 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Better rev up those antidepressants because I sure am ready to kill myself.

Can't say I blame you tbh...I said this on another board, I like Cashman as an outsider (not to mention him being an actual Devils fan) but if I were a Yankee fan I'd be LIVID today after seeing the Astros get Greinke, Sanchez and Biangini while they only get some faceless minor leaguer.  In a lot of ways Cashman is a slave to never going a cent above market value for a trade.

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, if you’re in win now mode, then address your main weakness.  God this franchise is fvcked up.  

Heck even dumpster diving for Fernando Rodney types would at least be TRYING, not very much but still trying.  This idea that well we're going for it but not using any assets to do so, well you are using assets, the ones you don't get back in trades for your rental players.  Not that I have any faith in Brodie to have actually gotten something for a Wheeler or Frazier but it would have been nice not to delude ourselves.  They better hope Wheeler actually doesn't take the QO this offseason and they get their lousy 80th overall comp pick or his $18 million next year is going to preclude any other actual spending.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Apparently BVW said that if the Yankees wanted Stroman, they had to give up Florial and Deivi Garcia, which is a pretty insane ask.  I get that the Mets don't want to trade someone like Syndergaard or DeGrom to the Yankees, but pretty silly to hold out over making the team better in the long run for someone they got a few days ago for a can of magic beans.  Like, BVW is just being an a$$hole to the fans if he wouldn't just take Clint Frazier and something else.