2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Now 1.5 games out of the 2nd WC spot...and only 2.5 out of the 1st WC spot for that matter.  They’ve firmly gotten themselves back in...now we find out if they can stay there.

Matz today...he’ll obviously pitch in the Brave series, but I’m glad he won’t be going up against the Nats.  

Hate to nitpick a little piece of todays game but with Holaday on 2nd and 2 outs in the 7th, Prado came up and Mickey went to Wilson (Prado is still .304 vs lefties) and promptly got a single to short right though it didn't score a run. Still feel in that situation with the tying run at the plate you have to go Lugo, then keep Lugo for the 8th. As it is the Mets went on to open up a 5 run lead in the bottom of the inning so this gets forgotten

Alonso, Conforto, McNeil all red hot at the right time

Edited by '7'

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now 1.5 games out of the 2nd WC spot...and only 2.5 out of the 1st WC spot for that matter.  They’ve firmly gotten themselves back in...now we find out if they can stay there.

Matz today...he’ll obviously pitch in the Brave series, but I’m glad he won’t be going up against the Nats.  

Matz stumbled around early but found his footing. Granted against a crap Marlins team that's exactly what we should expect. Pitched into the 7th too on a hot day which is good to see

We haven't played a real team in so long I have no clue what to expect with them. It's been Marlins/Pirates/Sox/Pirates forever it seems. Will they be just average against top clubs? Will they completely gag it up?

Will they keep rolling?

I have absolutely no clue

Just now, '7' said:

Hate to nitpick a little piece of todays game but with Holaday on 2nd and 2 outs in the 7th, Prado came up and Mickey went to Wilson (Prado is still .304 vs lefties) and promptly got a single to short right though it didn't score a run. Still feel in that situation with the tying run at the plate you have to go Lugo, then keep Lugo for the 8th. As it is the Mets went on to open up a 5 run lead in the bottom of the inning so this gets forgotten

Alonso, Conforto, McNeil all red hot at the right time

Just because the Mets are winning a ton right now doesn't mean Mickey has suddenly mastered managing.  I'm sure there will be more head-scratching moves to come. 

Yeah, the great news is that thanks to the Mets COMPLETELY cleaning up this part of the schedule (when you're 11 games under .500 you can't really ever be expected to clean up against ANYONE), they've earned themselves some mulligans against the better teams.  If they had done well over this stretch but still were under .500 for the season (say 56-59 instead of the 59-56 record they're about to have), they'd still have to do something like win 5 out of the next 6 games.  Now they can go 3-3 and still be OK...of course I'd like them to do better, but I'm not going to blow up my expectations. 

We've talked about the Mets needing to go on an insane run...but of course, not in a million years did I ever think they had it in them to do it.  But they've actually DONE IT.  They're about to have gone 19-5 in their last 24 games...I don't care who the competition is, that's never easy to do.  Going from 11 under to 3 over in just 24 games...I still can't believe that they've pulled this off. 

More and more I'm realizing that Michael Conforto reminds me a lot of Pat Burrell.  That guy was either a dialed-in wrecking crew or had you wondering if he was ever going to get another hit ever again.  Conforto is much the same.  Hopefully he stays dialed in for a bit longer. 

Just now, MB3 said:

The Mets have won 13 games in 14 days since I’ve joined this thread.

i’m just saying

Truly is Bizarro World in here...we now have two Yankee fans coming into a Mets thread to talk Yankee baseball (it's all good though), the previously stumbling bumbling Mets go on a run that wouldn't have seemed possible in any baseball universe...sh!t is getting beyond weird. 

Mets now trail the Nats by 2 for WC1.  If the Nats win tonight, the Mets are back by 2.5...Nats lose, and the Mets trail by 1.5.  Who ever would've thought this series would actually have real meaning and playoff implications?  Still can't believe this crazy sh!t is happening. 

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets now trail the Nats by 2 for WC1.  If the Nats win tonight, the Mets are back by 2.5...Nats lose, and the Mets trail by 1.5.  Who ever would've thought this series would actually have real meaning and playoff implications?  Still can't believe this crazy sh!t is happening. 

Especially when the Nats themselves were twelve games under after like fifty games lol, let alone us being eleven under later in the season.

37 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Especially when the Nats themselves were twelve games under after like fifty games lol, let alone us being eleven under later in the season.

You nailed it, Nats bottomed out at 19-31 at the 50-game mark...that was just after the Mets swept them, and it looked like the Nats had been effectively killed off for 2019.  They then went on a 30-11 tear to up their overall record to 49-42.  They're 11-11 since. 

Kinda nuts how TWO teams in the NL East were able to go back over .500 after being so far under.  If anything, that makes one wonder if some teams won't be as quick to dismantle squads that they believe can eventually turn it around (and in the Nats' case, at least they did it fairly early on...the Mets really waited until the nick of time, and even then I don't think anyone would've been shocked if some guys had been dumped at the deadline).

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

33 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You nailed it, Nats bottomed out at 19-31 at the 50-game mark...that was just after the Mets swept them, and it looked the Nats been effectively killed off for 2019.  They then went on a 30-11 tear to up their overall record to 49-42.  They're 11-11 since. 

Kinda nuts how TWO teams in the NL East were able to go back over .500 after being so far under.  If anything, that makes one wonder if some teams won't be as quick to dismantle squads that they believe can eventually turn it around (and in the Nats' case, at least they did it fairly early on...the Mets really waited until the nick of time, and even then I don't think anyone would've been shocked if some guys had been dumped at the deadline).

Yeah I thought the dumb early deadline would kill off most deals from the borderline teams, there were still big deals made and teams you'd figure would be sellers became buyers so maybe it actually added unpredictability at least.  If they're going to have no waiver deadline at all then the actual trade deadline should be at least mid-August with all the wild card craziness.

Not only did neither team sell but neither fired their inexperienced manager when they looked all but dead men walking.  Although I'm still very wary of Callaway (and make no mistake, this run would buy him into next year if the Mets maintain this) it's good in a sense that firing the manager isn't always the needed spark.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Agree, new deadline should be 8/15 or thereabouts.  7/31 is too early now, especially now that Deadline #2 is no longer. 

Yeah impossible not to be wary of Callaway...I think BVW would love to hire someone else, but if the team manages to win its way into a WC berth and then wins THAT game, there's probably no case to be made for canning Mickey before the season.  Wouldn't surprise me if he's gone should the Mets start slowly next season though...I don't think BVW & Co will blindly hope for lighting to strike again. 

So here's the winning%s the Mets will need for:

88 wins:  .617  (29-18)

87 wins:  .596  (28-19)

86 wins:  .574  (27-20)

85 wins:  .553  (26-21)

None seem outrageous...not saying it will be easy, but it's not like Mike Brown saying "Oh, get 75% of the points, totally doable."  Even 90 wins isn't 100% totally out of the question...not saying that I think the Mets will ever win that many (I'd give them a 10% chance, if that high), but it wasn't so long ago that 80 wins seemed like a total pipe dream.  It's fun even being able to talk about 90 wins without cracking up mid-sentence. 

I say they will end up at 86.  Locking that in. 

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Little piece of baseball history tonight in Baltimore. 

The previous record for Home runs in an opposing team’s ballpark was 26. The Yankees just finished their last game in Camden Yards... with 43 home runs. 

To put that silly number even more into perspective; the Yankees now have more HRs at Camden than the Giants and Tigers have in their own ballparks.

It's funny, at first when I read this I rolled my eyes and thought "Just like a Yankee fan to make a big deal out of this..."  Just like there's that group of Yankee fans that think their team is entitled to other teams' stars without having to give up any more than a few secondary pieces, there's that OTHER contingent of Yankee fans that act like a 13-year-old bully who's proud of himself because he just beat up three 6-year-olds. 

BUT, it's clear that you're not really making a big braggy show here...you're merely stating a fact, and letting that fact speak for itself.  And I think this "achievement" speaks to two other facts: 

1) The very obviously juiced ball is really hurting the game.  The HR barrage has just gotten silly, with announcers clearly being shocked when lazy fly balls somehow wind up clearing the fence...and of course, with HRs being easier to hit now more than ever, of course hitters are muscling up and not caring how much they strike out.  Give me Jeff McNeil types anyday...all that guy does is hit, get on base, and force quality AB after quality AB.  The team that is finally willing to build a team around that kind of player (with just enough power sprinkled in) will reap some serious rewards.  McNeil is an absolute PITA to deal with at the plate...and by today's standards, doesn't K all that much (once per 7.55 AB). 

2) What the Yankees have done says more about the incredibly sad state of the Orioles than anything else.  Goddamn, what an awful awful team.  An 85-191 record since the start of the 2018 season...and since the start of the 1998 season, they're 1594 - 1920...and that includes a 5-year window from 2012 - 2016 where they were .500 or better and put up win totals of 96, 87, 93, 81, and 89.  This was a once a proud franchise...from 1960-83, they made the World Series six times, winning three (two of those series losses went seven games), and suffered just two losing seasons over that 24-season stretch.  Obviously it's not like all franchises can remain successful forever...but man, can't imagine growing up as an Oriole fan in the 60s, watching my team be consistently good for 20 years or so, then see them become what they have in the years since. 

This guy must be rolling in his grave:

10 hours ago, MB3 said:

Little piece of baseball history tonight in Baltimore. 

The previous record for Home runs in an opposing team’s ballpark was 26. The Yankees just finished their last game in Camden Yards... with 43 home runs. 

To put that silly number even more into perspective; the Yankees now have more HRs at Camden than the Giants and Tigers have in their own ballparks.

The last sentence reminds me, Nick Castellanos complained a while back about how Comerica was so pitcher friendly which is laughable considering how many band boxes there are elsewhere in baseball. Hitters are basically growing up spoiled and wondering where’s my cheap HR’s?

Mets only 1/2 game out of the final WC spot now (though obviously still a logjam of teams right there).  They're even in the loss column with the Brewers and one back in the loss column with the Phils.

Speaking of the Phillies, wonder how they're feeling about Bryce Harper.  He's having another low-WAR year (1.8...if he finishes under 2.0, that would be the fourth time in six seasons that he will have managed that).  For comparison, McNeil is at 4.5, Alonso is at 3.9, and Conforto is at 2.5 for 2019.  Harper's having this many low WAR years (despite having had higher ones too, including 10.0 one season) has often been brought up among those (including peers apparently) who feel that he's definitely overrated.

He also seems not to have benefitted much from the juiced ball and playing all of his home games in a bandbox...just 20 HR on the season (he reached that by hitting one in pure garbage time last night). 

BTW Vargas with a very meh game last night...was good in his first game with the Phils, but they're now 0-2 in games started by him. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The last sentence reminds me, Nick Castellanos complained a while back about how Comerica was so pitcher friendly which is laughable considering how many band boxes there are elsewhere in baseball. Hitters are basically growing up spoiled and wondering where’s my cheap HR’s?

This originally started with Juan Gonzalez. His first (and only) year as a Tiger he right off the bat started complaining about new Comerica which at that point was worse than Citi Field circa 2009. Place was the Grand Canyon in the outfield

Mets have signed reliever Brad Brach 

Brach was a top reliever from 2012 really up until last year when he was suddenly terrible with Baltimore...but great again with the Braves. So it's not like he's all that far removed from success. This year he's been horrible with the Cubs. Mets seem to be turning over a lot of stones hoping they can find lightning in a bottle somewhere down the stretch run.

Mets apparently also about to sign Joe Panik.

I get that without a second trade deadline that it's slim pickins, and Cano's injury is driving this move, but Panik is a dreadful offensive player, to say the least.  He's slashed .245/.308/.325 over the past two seasons, with a OPS+ of 74.  The only thing he does fairly well is make contact...but his bat is about as dead as it gets. 

And his most recent extended sample is even WORSE.  In his last 60 GP, he's slashing .219/.279/.286, for a .565 OPS.  Those are exactly the kinds of numbers that you get DFA. 

Man, I guess if it has to come down to Dilson Herrera, Ruben Tejada, or Joe Panik, then I guess it's Panik...but that's kind of like choosing between syphilis, gonorrhea, or the clap.  Also not thrilled about having Lagares, Panik, AND the pitcher in the everyday lineup.  That will come back to haunt in due time. 

Just now, MB3 said:

I hope Panik can bounce back but his peripherals are just awful. His hard-hit % is similar to AL pitchers, lol.

All of his numbers point to a guy who's just about finished, even if he's only 28 years old.  This is now 205 games of this over two seasons.  I mean sure, if the Mets want to take a flyer on a guy who's not going to cost them much of anything, go ahead...but it won't surprise me if he doesn't make to the end of the season before he's dumped again...this is pretty much 2018 Jose Reyes bad, and that was absolute torture to watch. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Mets apparently also about to sign Joe Panik.

I get that without a second trade deadline that it's slim pickins, and Cano's injury is driving this move, but Panik is a dreadful offensive player, to say the least.  He's slashed .245/.308/.325 over the past two seasons, with a OPS+ of 74.  The only thing he does fairly well is make contact...but his bat is about as dead as it gets. 

And his most recent extended sample is even WORSE.  In his last 60 GP, he's slashing .219/.279/.286, for a .565 OPS.  Those are exactly the kinds of numbers that you get DFA. 

Man, I guess if it has to come down to Dilson Herrera, Ruben Tejada, or Joe Panik, then I guess it's Panik...but that's kind of like choosing between syphilis, gonorrhea, or the clap.  Also not thrilled about having Lagares, Panik, AND the pitcher in the everyday lineup.  That will come back to haunt in due time. 

Maybe Brandon Nimmo gets out of Yoenisville before the end of the season and at least improves CF? That guy fell down the same black hole as Lowrie did.

Sadly I’d almost have rather given Dilson or Tejada another try with the way they’ve hit in the minors lol but I do get wanting a vet for down the stretch, especially a local guy :P

Re:  Herrera and Tejada, I'm always leery of older guys who are basically failed major leaguers...those guys have a way of coming up and not doing squat...but that's pretty much what Panik was doing as a major-leaguer in 2018 and 2019.

Like I said, syphilis, gonorrhea, or the clap. 

And yeah, would be nice if some of these injured guys didn't go completely into witness protection.  If they're done for 2019, just say so. 

Not a big fan of Stroman so far.  Two very meh starts, comes up puny after being handed a three-run lead.  And looks like he’s nibbling a bit now.  

Oops, I’m retarded, meant that he put his team in a three-run hole.  Just had a stressful moment at home.  

And yet another blown call by an ump.  Davis didn’t swing dipsh!t.  Game’s too important to fvck up a call like that.