2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

The funny thing is when the Nats scored that insurance run on that wild pitch, you're thinking, "OK, just not the Mets' night this time."  And so often the Mets would've either lost that game by going down meekly 1-2-3 in the ninth, or by coming close (closing to within 6-5 with a runner or two on), or even by tying it up, but then disappearing offensively and eventually losing, with the bullpen gassed. 

To come back so damned FURIOUSLY...this is all just crazy.  All of it.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Those words are not usually spoken together about the Mets in a positive context lol.

And the way they won last night is so often the way that they LOSE.  It’s like the baseball gods are apologizing for fvcking with the Mets all these years.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

#LFGM, a perfect meme for millenials lol

It is amazing how much of a leader Alonso's become as a rookie.  And it's also hilarious how Todd Frazier seems to come equipped with magic pixie dust.

We all wanted Frazier gone.  I was front and center on that list.

What a game to go to and what a game to stay to the very end. Just a euphoric environment all the way through. Amazing. And the Rendon homer didnt really take too much win out of their sales. Though it did with mine...there was still plenty of baseball to play after. 

Need better out of Stroman. His numbers are pretty much what we would've accepted from Vargas if he stayed. But this is not Vargas, this is a guy who put up a sub 3.00 era in the AL East in 2019. There's something more there

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

#LFGM, a perfect meme for millenials lol

It is amazing how much of a leader Alonso's become as a rookie.  And it's also hilarious how Todd Frazier seems to come equipped with magic pixie dust.

Guess we can put those "they got us" shirts in mothballs for a while

And that was Conforto's first walkoff as a Met. And he's been here since 2015. Whoever said he wasn't clutch (except for last night) was right on the money. Didn't think it was literally 0 walkoffs though. Though that was going to be an at'em ball for a second. But baseballs are rreally carrying out there in 2019

On 8/7/2019 at 3:41 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

You nailed it, Nats bottomed out at 19-31 at the 50-game mark...that was just after the Mets swept them, and it looked like the Nats had been effectively killed off for 2019.  They then went on a 30-11 tear to up their overall record to 49-42.  They're 11-11 since. 

Kinda nuts how TWO teams in the NL East were able to go back over .500 after being so far under.  If anything, that makes one wonder if some teams won't be as quick to dismantle squads that they believe can eventually turn it around (and in the Nats' case, at least they did it fairly early on...the Mets really waited until the nick of time, and even then I don't think anyone would've been shocked if some guys had been dumped at the deadline).

That shocked me. After losing Harper, after the wire to wire mediocre 2018 season which followed back to back division titles (and back to back playoff underachievements) I thought this was the year they were heading for a 72-90 and a full organizational teardown. They had their 2012-2017 window....couldn't do it. I thought that window closed. This year I think they reveled in being left for dead, for trying to show they can do it without Harper. And they still have plenty of talent there. Scherzer of course has been a bulldog machine before getting hurt. Rendon is a legit superstar (who kills us) but never gets mentioned in that upper echelon superstar class. They're still a team fairly loaded with talent. And the annoying pesky type of players who work deep counts and get on base

Edited by '7'

Pretty telling that in the biggest game of the season they leave Lugo in for a second inning to close it even after he gave it up in the 8th instead of going to the human bundle of nerves.

And Lugo drops the hammer, the 7 train express keeps rolling along.  This series is getting eerily similar to the post-deadline 2015 one with the Nats.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 hours ago, '7' said:

It was not a great start for Syndergaard, and that "home run" by Soto was another comical juiced ball era blast. But he's since followed it up with 4 scoreless. 

Davis and Ramos have gone deep and it's 2-2. 

Another 7 IP start for Noah (6 straight).  42.1 IP, 34 H, 9 ER, 9 BB, and just 1 HR allowed over his last six starts.  A couple of battle starts in there too, where it wasn’t looking good for him early, but by the end he still mananged his 7+ IP, and kept his team in the game.  He’s really found his game after a frustrating first few months, and at a time when the Mets absolutely NEED this version of him.

Even with all of the winning and these two terrific comebacks against the Nats (wow does that bullpen continue to be an absolute killer for them), we’re seeing how hard it is to make inroads into such a compressed wild card chase.  Any slump will really sting...Mets have certainly earned their way back into the race, but their margin for error is still pretty minuscule right now.  But serious kudos to them for grinding out these wins against the Nats.

And though I’m still not a huge Mickey guy, kudos for him for not being a typical, predictable “by the book” manager for last night’s game.  Like Has alluded to, friggin’ Diaz is a mess right now, but so many managers would say “He’s my closer, that’s his spot, have to get him in the game, blah blah blah.”  Instead he stayed with the guy who’s been as lights out as a reliever can be, and let him pitch a second inning.  Even if it hadn’t worked out, I would’ve praised it...at least it’s a clear acknowledgment that Diaz isn’t trustworthy right now.

And speaking of “by the book”...Dave Martinez showed why sometimes managers can just make you insane.  Doolittle clearly didn’t have it, but instead of getting him out of there at 6-6 (with the Mets getting more runners on to boot, after Frazier’s game-tying dinger), Martinez decided to let the game die with Doolittle.  This is something you see happen constantly...just get the guy the fvck out of the game.  Just because he blows a save and the game is then tied doesn’t mean you have to keep him in and allow him to lose it for you too.

’7’, I was the one who mentioned Corforto’s lack of clutch (and incredibly frustrating disappearing acts, where he seemingly gets a handful of hits over a 2-3 week stretch), but he’s definitely had some big hits lately...as have many of his teammates.  Still can’t believe what I’m seeing, but still so much work to be done.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Diaz you fvcking gutless piece of sh!t.  You don’t deserve to be a part of this ride.  

Oh well, would’ve happily signed up for taking two out of three against the Nats going in.  21-6 in their last 27 games.  

So the Phillies fired their hitting coach and replaced him with Charlie Manuel.  I didn't realize the guy had a Larry Robinson-like devotion to the franchise...not sure it'll make Gabe Kapler all that happy since he's really on red alert now lol

Then again we said the same about Mickey a while back after the pitching coach change.  

Edited by NJDevs4978

7 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So the Phillies fired their hitting coach and replaced him with Charlie Manuel.  I didn't realize the guy had a Larry Robinson-like devotion to the franchise...not sure it'll make Gabe Kapler all that happy since he's really on red alert now lol

Then again we said the same about Mickey a while back after the pitching coach change.  

Phillies have to be getting a bit desperate...not like they haven’t been down this road before...they were 14 games over .500 and a half-game out of first on 8/17 last season.  They didn’t even finish with a .500 record.  This year they were 11 games over in late May, but have been up and down since...and not showing many signs of putting together a solid run. 

Obviously the idea was never to not make the playoffs in 2019 after spending a fortune on Harper.  Can’t see how Kapler survives that.

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Just when you want to get back into it, Wheeler pulls out a stinker and McNeil pulls up lame.  

It's Atlanta. Things never go well here. There's no other explanation. This was over in the 1st inning. We just have to find a way to split the next two games. KC is up next so maybe we can get well vs them