2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

It was in Philly right?

Yep...Wally Whitehurst and Julio Machado lol, talk about blasts from the past

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/7/25/4553784/new-york-mets-history-july-25-bob-murphy-says-mets-win-damn-game

And I like whoever was in the booth with Murphy just laughing when he says that word

Edited by NJDevs4978

13 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yep...Wally Whitehurst and Julio Machado lol, talk about blasts from the past

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2013/7/25/4553784/new-york-mets-history-july-25-bob-murphy-says-mets-win-damn-game

And I like whoever was in the booth with Murphy just laughing when he says that word

I actually think it was Gary Cohen in his 1st or 2nd year as a full time radio guy for the Mets

For Murphy to even say damn on the air was a big big deal. Old school announcers like him you'd never hear a hint of a curse or even getting too high or low when good or bad things happen. Or too critical for that matter. I remember Mike and the Mad Dog replaying the final pitch of the 1999 NLCS and were stunned that Murphy described it as a "horrible horrible loss for the Mets" they'd never heard something like that from him

Edited by '7'

27 minutes ago, '7' said:

It was in Philly right?

Yes...poor Whitehurst gave up a ton of seeing-eye groundball base hits from what I remember.  Franco had to come in to nail it down.  

I didn’t hear Murph’s famous quote of exasperation until after the game of course...but “damn”, it was perfect.  And hilarious.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yes...poor Whitehurst gave up a ton of seeing-eye groundball base hits from what I remember.  Franco had to come in to nail it down.  

I didn’t hear Murph’s famous quote of exasperation until after the game of course...but “damn”, it was perfect.  And hilarious.

On that carpet (well any of the horrid astroturfs) you'd see a lot of those annoying grounders scoot through. Just sped up balls that would otherwise be fielded. You'd see grounders go through the holes and split fielders for doubles. 

Edited by '7'

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

Trash Royals somehow get to a cruising Syndergaard in the 5th. Now we're behind. Absolutely unacceptable to lose any of these games

That’s typical Noah...I know he’s been hot lately, but he can still be so frustrating sometimes.  And yet another double allowed to start off the sixth.

Pirates with a big comeback win against the Cubs.  Suffice it to say their pen has had some issues lately.

At least he got out of a tough sixth with no further damage.  

And great that the bats all fattened up last night...need some hits and runs tonight though.  

Yeah, pretty sure this run is over...now lost four out of five.  And without McNeil, just too many non-bats in the lineup.  Friggin’ Ruben Tejada is now getting ABs (and predictably doing zilch with them). 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, pretty sure this run is over...now lost four out of five.  And without McNeil, just too many non-bats in the lineup.  Friggin’ Ruben Tejada is now getting ABs (and predictably doing zilch with them). 

JD Davis coming up lame too...maybe we'll see both Tejada and Dilson by next week :P

Alonso with a huge two-out single to drive in his 92nd and 93rd runs of the season.  

And of course Conforto Wright follows that up by striking out on three pitches.  

Nice job by Jacob to overcome two singles with no outs in the bottom of the seventh.  His ERA is down to 2.61.  

Big insurance run courtesy of Lagares.  He’s actually been hitting some lately.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Alonso with a huge two-out single to drive in his 92nd and 93rd runs of the season.  

And of course Conforto Wright follows that up by striking out on three pitches.  

I didn't have the volume on at the time but, what happened the pitch before. I saw a few Mets players say "home run" apparently it looked like Alonso may have put it over the foul pole. Really tough to tell. But the dugout seemed to think HR

5 hours ago, '7' said:

I didn't have the volume on at the time but, what happened the pitch before. I saw a few Mets players say "home run" apparently it looked like Alonso may have put it over the foul pole. Really tough to tell. But the dugout seemed to think HR

Yeah that really was the problem...in the end, just too tough to tell.  Serious kudos to Alonso for still finding a way to get a hit after that.  

And Jake has been about as excellent over his last 16 starts as he was all of last season (1.92 ERA)...but somehow, he has just five wins during that stretch, while the Mets have somehow managed to go just 7-9 in those games.  Truly amazing how many of his starts the Mets consistently manage to waste.  

57 minutes ago, '7' said:

What an absolutely embarrassing choke job by Wheeler in the 5th against a trash team with a 3-0 lead. He's a gutless loser who will never be someone who you can trust ever. Against bottom feeders. 

At least his teammates bailed him out...but yeah, I pity the team that signs him to an expensive multi-year deal.  But I could see him not getting signed all that quickly.  Both injury-prone and inconsistent.

Mets might get him back on a one-year deal at this rate.

Rosario owned a .242/.284/.404 slash line back on June 17.  He’s now up to .291/.329/.452.  Who knows if this is all a tease, but he’s been insanely hot...guy is hitting over .350 in his last 52 GP.  

Good that the KC series didn’t turn into a disaster...but this homestand coming up is a brutal one.  Three each against the Indians, Cubs, and Braves.  Hard to ask for much more than 5-4.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

17 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Rosario owned a .242/.284/.404 slash line back on June 17.  He’s now up to .291/.329/.452.  Who knows if this is all a tease, but he’s been insanely hot...guy is hitting over .350 in his last 52 GP.  

Good that the KC series didn’t turn into a disaster...but this homestand coming up is a brutal one.  Three each against the Indians, Cubs, and Braves.  Hard to ask for much more than 5-4.  

Cleveland beat the Yankees twice and that is not an easy feat at all with the way NYY just pours on the runs at will. Cleveland is an absolute legitimate team to be reckoned with. I worry about our starters 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup as that's when those hitters will start doing serious damage.

Rosario seems to have finally learned some plate discipline regarding those outside pitches he used to constantly chase early on in his career. He doesn't bite at those nearly as much anymore

1 hour ago, '7' said:

Cleveland beat the Yankees twice and that is not an easy feat at all with the way NYY just pours on the runs at will. Cleveland is an absolute legitimate team to be reckoned with. I worry about our starters 2nd and 3rd time through the lineup as that's when those hitters will start doing serious damage.

Rosario seems to have finally learned some plate discipline regarding those outside pitches he used to constantly chase early on in his career. He doesn't bite at those nearly as much anymore

This homestand could potentially break the Mets...to their credit, they did manage not to blow up against the Nats and Braves...sure, 3-3 was really the bare minimum of what they NEEDED, but at least they managed it.  Kinda like winning two out of three against KC was also pretty much the bare minimum of what was required. 

The problem with "bare minimum" is that continuing that won't really get the Mets to where they're trying to go.  Sure, we'll take 5-4, compared to something apocalyptic...but then suddenly, they're just 10-8 in their last 18...go 4-5, then they're 9-9...and like the 2017-18 Panthers learned, you can't really afford to level off or tread water in this position.  This is really the problem...whatever we deem "acceptable" at the moment, the Mets really need to do one win better.  They really needed 6-3 in their last nine (a sweep against the Royals would've gotten them there), and now they REALLY need 6-3 in their next nine. 

Another way to look at it...on 8/8, the Mets were 59-56 and about to embark on the nine-game stretch against the Nats, Braves, and Royals.  They were a 1/2 game out of a WC berth (along with three other teams), and 2.5 games out of the top spot.

They went 5-4 and are now 64-60.  They're now 3.5 games out of the top spot and 2.0 games out of a WC berth (along with three other teams once again)...losing ground.  Just goes to show how much you need to keep winning when you're late to the dance.  Very rocky road ahead.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This homestand could potentially break the Mets...to their credit, they did manage not to blow up against the Nats and Braves...sure, 3-3 was really the bare minimum of what they NEEDED, but at least they managed it.  Kinda like winning two out of three against KC was also pretty much the bare minimum of what was required. 

The problem with "bare minimum" is that continuing that won't really get the Mets to where they're trying to go.  Sure, we'll take 5-4, compared to something apocalyptic...but then suddenly, they're just 10-8 in their last 18...go 4-5, then they're 9-9...and like the 2017-18 Panthers learned, you can't really afford to level off or tread water in this position.  This is really the problem...whatever we deem "acceptable" at the moment, the Mets really need to do one win better.  They really needed 6-3 in their last nine (a sweep against the Royals would've gotten them there), and now they REALLY need 6-3 in their next nine. 

Another way to look at it...on 8/8, the Mets were 59-56 and about to embark on the nine-game stretch against the Nats, Braves, and Royals.  They were a 1/2 game out of a WC berth (along with three other teams), and 2.5 games out of the top spot.

They went 5-4 and are now 64-60.  They're now 3.5 games out of the top spot and 2.0 games out of a WC berth (along with three other teams once again)...losing ground.  Just goes to show how much you need to keep winning when you're late to the dance.  Very rocky road ahead.

Also you need some help along the way if you stumble or even up. Seems like the Phillies and Nats have had some extended nice stretches which kept them ahead of us (or in the Phillies case tied at worst) The Nationals win over us last Sunday seemed to propel them unfortunately (5-1 since). Now Scherzer is on his way back. We're just surrounded by too many good teams that haven't been falling to the wayside

The Mets are going to need some luck to get into that Wild Card playoff. Stroman has to pitch much better and give us length. The pen has to be better (that or the offense has to slug enough to make the game pen-proof) would help to get Nimmo/Lowrie back in the mix. 

But you can't have Wheeler meltdowns like you did yesterday because a good team would have won that game. Luckily we were playing the tattered Royals. You cannot have Callaway losing games on his own like with his Matz shenanigans (which I'm sure will recur sooner than later)

Yeah it’s like I said about Mickey...he’s no better as a manager as he was previously. Winning hasn’t changed a thing, as far as he goes.  I still think he likely gets canned either after this year or early next season...and he only makes it into 2020 via an insane playoff run.