2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Guess Matz remembered he was pitching at home.  Somehow got through six innings unscathed.  Second inning really blew up his pitch count.  Feels like Familia and Diaz will get in the game tonight...oh sweet Jesus...

I'm impressed. Coming off two horrible losses to the Phillies and they absolutely drub the DBacks today...pass Arizona. Matz and Wheeler brilliant. The bats today got it done. Clutch performances by McNeil and Frazier (who despite that long violent swing is somehow quite good in the clutch)

You see games like this and you think...hmmm maybe it's worth hanging onto Matz and Wheeler. These were big games and they turned in big performances

And tomorrow it would be nice for Stroman to turn in 7 innings 2 runs, how about a gutsy performance where he's hasn't given up 4 runs on 100 pitches in the 5th

The Diamondbacks are going to be desperate tomorrow and we're facing a solid starter. We clawed past them in the standings just now but they can jump back in front with a W. Alex Young is a solid young pitcher. We have to be just as desperate as they will be

Also great to see Nimmo HITTING. He's always going to draw a walk here and there even when he's not hitting...but if he goes on one of those stretches where he's getting two hits and a walk every day (and he had a couple of those last year...6-7 game stretches he practically lived on base) him and McNeil getting hot at the same time is going to grind down opponents pitching staffs and force them to the pen early

Edited by '7'

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Bashlor literally cannot be trusted in any situation.  Not one.

He was that close to loading the bases with 1 out in the 9th. 9-0 I wasn't exactly mortified but the guy is absolute sh!t. 8+ era and i shows why

So Terry Collins is back in the Mets organization as a senior adviser to player personnel. Not really surprising to me as Collins is an old school baseball lifer. Still I wonder if this is the first step to getting Terry back into the organization, getting him reaquanted with the personnel of the organization...and ultimately taking over for Callaway next season.

Everyone in baseball and every higher up on the Mets knows Callaway is not the answer. And neither is Terry. But Terry is a step up from Callaway and having him as a caretaker in 2020 while we search for our real manager of the future wouldn't be the worst thing.

Would love to get Girardi in here. But him + Brodie + Jeff Wilpon could be a disaster

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/terry-collins-returning-to-mets-as-senior-advisor-for-player-personnel/310673188

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, '7' said:

I'm impressed. Coming off two horrible losses to the Phillies and they absolutely drub the DBacks today...pass Arizona. Matz and Wheeler brilliant. The bats today got it done. Clutch performances by McNeil and Frazier (who despite that long violent swing is somehow quite good in the clutch)

You see games like this and you think...hmmm maybe it's worth hanging onto Matz and Wheeler. These were big games and they turned in big performances

Yeah they've actually made it interesting...AGAIN.  Of course by this point I'm just waiting for Lucy to pull the football away again.

Yeah every time you’re convinced they’ve finally run out of steam, they find a way to scratch and claw their way back in.  Mickey isn’t right about much, but he is right when he says this team is resilient...some brutal losses haven’t killed them off.

Looks like they’re avoiding Diaz at all costs for the moment...I have no problem with that.  I’m guessing we may see him today at some point...I’m sure the Mets would love to have Lugo and Wilson as rested as possible for the Dodger series.

And yeah, time for fvcking Stroman to show SOMETHING.  Not real hopeful with him though.  

So after one last game against the Padres, here's who the Cubbies have left:

3 vs. Pit, 3 vs. StL, 3 vs. Cin, 4 at StL, 4 at Pit (they're 7-5 vs. StL, 8-5 vs. Pit, and 7-9 vs. Cin)

The Brewers (after today's game against the Marlins):

3 at StL, 4 vs SD, 3 vs Pit, 3 @ Cin, 3 @ Col (the only team they've really played well against than bunch is Pit...they're 17-22 against the rest). 

Of course, the D'Backs and Phillies are very much right there too.  The Phillies and Nats have a 5-game set coming up, including a DH on 9/24, in Washington.  That's part of a brutal road trip that will see them play 11 games in 10 days, against the Braves, Indians, and Nats. 

Mets are still in a position where they need help (they already got plenty, with the Cubs losing 5 of 6)...and need to take care of biz on their end...to start, that means not losing 3 of the next 4 and finishing what could be a fine homestand on a whimper.  They also can't start wetting themselves when the Braves come to town for the final series of the season (assuming it still has implications).  They have a lot going for them...both the Phils and the Nats have very difficult schedules, and the Cubs have to face the Cards seven more times...crazy at it sounds, the Mets have the slightest of chances to nab the WC1 slot, if they can go on another insane tear...it's a 10% chance if it's that high, but the fact that ANY chance exists at all is miraculous. 

Mets now have 17 games left on their schedule.  Probably have to win at least 12 to have a real shot at this thing, though that feels a little light.  90+ wins probably gives them a legit shot at WC1, but you're talking about winning at least 15 out of 17 games to close out the year. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm not going to be pretend to be a huge Frazier guy (like many others, I wanted him gone early this season), but when the guy gets locked in, he can go into wrecking crew mode (of course, he can go WAAAAAY over to the completely invisible side too...with strikeouts galore).  But he's been a beast in this series...he's making Mickey look pretty damned good at the moment.

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm not going to be pretend to be a huge Frazier guy (like many others, I wanted him gone early this season), but when the guy gets locked in, he can go into wrecking crew mode (of course, he can go WAAAAAY over to the completely invisible side too...with strikeouts galore).  But he's been a beast in this series...he's making Mickey look pretty damned good at the moment.

Yeah I was just gonna say maybe he read my post earlier this week lol

WOW

When Juan Friggin' Lagares hits a grand slam, you kinda know things are going your way (for the moment, anyway).  D'Backs have to be shell-shocked. 

EDIT:  not only did Lagares somehow golf this out of the park...he winds up dinging the poor D-Backs catcher (Avila) as he follows through on his swing.  Probably sums up how Avila and all of his D-Back teammates feel at this point. 

https://www.mlb.com/video/juan-lagares-hits-a-grand-slam-4-to-left-center-field-j-d-davis-scores-michael-c

And Stroman gets through the top half of the fourth on just 10 pitches.  Might this guy be FINALLY turning in an impressive outing in a Met uniform? 

Relatively easy fifth for Stroman too, even though he allowed a hit...66 pitches through 5.  Has a shot at getting to the 7th. 

And the extra point is good, now 7-0.  This might be a good game to get Diaz some work, if the lead is still nice and bloated heading into the 9th.

Field goal is good, 10-0.  Friggin' Lagares with two home runs and Nido adds one of his own?!  What in actual fvck?!

6 scoreless for Stroman only 80 pitches.  Obviously his Met body of work has been extremely meh coming into this game, but I give him some kudos for not barely getting though five or six to the tune of 4 or 5 ER...easy for the mind to wander in game like this.  Something to be said for not giving the other team so much as an inch.  If he finishes 7, he did a fine fine job today.  Give a Bashlor-type the eighth and give Diaz the ninth.  If the bottom end of the BP can't protect what figures to be a massive lead (even if Stroman finally give up a couple of runs), then the Mets are fvcked anyway. 

Gotta love a game where Alonso goes 0-for-4 with 3 K, and the offense doesn't miss a beat. 

D-Backs on the board, 10-1.  Stroman with a couple of walks (second one on four pitches) and then gives up a double.  He's not really known for going deep into games, probably has about 90-95 pitches in him on a good day.  Don't blame Callaway for trying to coax one more inning out him though, especially with such a big lead.  If the Mets get out this inning up 10-2 or 10-3, I'll consider that a victory.

Wow, hell of a job by two very scary relievers to claw their way through that inning without any further damage.  HUGE to hold them at 10-1 there.  A hit or two there and maybe the train starts going, and suddenly it's 10-4 or 10-5 with runners on.   

Some call it Garbage Time, I call it Conforto Time.  Hits a pile-on HR.  Crazy as it sounds, nice to get that run right back...give those D-Backs no hope at all. 

The D-Backs outright died this series. Just rolled over and didn't show even a smidgen of life

But you have to give credit to the Mets. Starters were brilliant the entire series. We got hitting up and down the lineup...everything clicked. Let's hope it continues to.

Very unexpected 4 game set here. Pleasantly surprised

Yeah the heavens are opening up...Cubs slumping, Brewers did enough to knock them off their perch but they subsequently lost Yelich so who knows if they can keep it up after getting done with the Marlins, Mets took care of the D-backs head to head, the Phillies have been running in place all year.

It's like the SNY crew said, if the Mets could just get a third guy in the pen to step up after Lugo and Wilson.

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

WOW

When Juan Friggin' Lagares hits a grand slam, you kinda know things are going your way (for the moment, anyway).  D'Backs have to be shell-shocked. 

EDIT:  not only did Lagares somehow golf this out of the park...he winds up dinging the poor D-Backs catcher (Avila) as he follows through on his swing.  Probably sums up how Avila and all of his D-Back teammates feel at this point. 

https://www.mlb.com/video/juan-lagares-hits-a-grand-slam-4-to-left-center-field-j-d-davis-scores-michael-c

It also is pretty indiciative of the juiced baseball that freaking Lagares could golf one six inches off the ground and hit it out.  I mean this isn't Pete Alonso here lol

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

It also is pretty indiciative of the juiced baseball that freaking Lagares could golf one six inches off the ground and hit it out.  I mean this isn't Pete Alonso here lol

And his 2nd one off the end of the bat opposite field of all places. Now I know down the line there to right is not a difficult spot to dunk one in if you can...but since when does Lagares do it? That ball just wouldn't come down

Mets get Kershaw tomorrow who has not been Kershaw of late allowing 3, 3, 5, and 3 earned runs in his last 4 starts. Most of it coming on the home run ball.

Curious how the Dodgers approach this series. Would be nice to see them ease up a bit

Back on 8/8 (an off-day), it was easy to wonder about the Mets, if the roof was about to cave in after they had just gotten done beating up on a lot of chum.  We wondered how they would do against much more legit competition...think about it, from 8/9 to this series with the Dodgers, the only patsie in the entire group was the Royals...everyone else was over .500:

8/9 - 8/11  3 games vs the Nats (Mets win 2 of 3)

8/13 - 8/15  3 games at the Braves (Mets lose 2 of 3)

8/16 - 8/18  3 games at the Royals (Mets win 2 of 3)

8/20 - 8/22  3 games vs the Indians (Mets sweep)

8/23 - 8/25  3 games vs the Braves (Mets get swept)

8/27 - 8/29  3 games vs the Cubs (Mets get swept)

8/30 - 9/1  3 games at the Phillies (Mets win 2 of 3)

9/2 - 9/4  3 games at the Nats (Mets win 2 of 3)

9/6 - 9/8  3 games vs the Phillies (Mets lose 2 of 3)

9/9 - 9/12  4 games vs the D-Backs (Mets sweep)

So over the above stretch (one that we all probably thought would fully expose the Mets as frauds, and after the sweeps at the hands of the Braves and Cubs it sure looked like it was indeed going that way), the Mets went 17-14.  No, not amazing, but even with those brutal Braves and Cubs sweeps, they've managed to hold their own, keep themselves in this thing, and somehow not collapse, despite their "closer" being a complete dumpster fire damned near every time he makes his way into a game.  As crazy as they make me at times, and as harsh as I can be in my criticisms of them, I gotta give them some kudos for having gotten this far without having effectively been eliminated. 

All this being said, as much as they've shown the ability to come back from the dead more than once...not sure that they can survive a sweep by the Dodgers.  They gotta win at least one game here. 

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

I’ve only been here once this season, didn’t  realize they showed OPS+ and bWAR on the players stats now lol

BTW the lines outside are a joke...that’s the only reason the stadium looks empty and the concession lines actually are empty lol

That's just the way they want it really. I've seen overhead shots of bleak late september games where the Mets are out of it, and you see this mass of humanity near Shake Shack/Blue Smoke that probably rivals people in the stands watching the game. 

I really wish they'd do something to make these lines move quicker. You need more people manning these stands. I know the companies don't want to hire more workers but its worth it, because believe me you have plenty of people that get disgruntled and leave a line when they're missing what they're truly paying for

Edited by '7'

10 minutes ago, '7' said:

That's just the way they want it really. I've seen overhead shots of bleak late september games where the Mets are out of it, and you see this mass of humanity near Shake Shack/Blue Smoke that probably rivals people in the stands watching the game. 

I really wish they'd do something to make these lines move quicker. You need more people manning these stands. I know the companies don't want to hire more workers but its worth it, because believe me you have plenty of people that get disgruntled and leave a line when they're missing what they're truly paying for

Honestly I’m amazed it ‘only’ took me ten minutes or so to get in from the time I got off the train, probably only cause I walked to the LF entrance (closer to my seat anyway) and didn’t have a bag...but really now I’ve NEVER seen the food and beverage lines this empty and I’ve been to games with far worse attendance.

Ironically the empty food line is the only reason I even bothered to get the steak frites, mostly to try it (was very meh and lukewarm).

Edited by NJDevs4978