2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Of course Diaz gives us at least one last reminder of how much he sucks before the offseason.

Wheeler, man I wouldn't want to make that call in the offseason.  He was so injury-prone earlier in his career I'd still be scared of giving him a big money deal, but you can't really argue with the results the last two years.  He's been the Mets' second best pitcher bar none and now healthy to boot.  Plus Brodie seems to be fascinated with the idea of trading Syndergaard (who doesn't seem to want to be here anyway) so we'd be out two pitchers if Wheeler walked and the artist formerly known as Thor got traded.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I’m not a huge Wheeler guy, but I’d probably keep him over Syndergaard.  Just never sure what the Wilpons are willing to spend.  Of course BVW gave away any prospects that could have stepped in, because he doesn’t seem to think of them as anything more than trade chips.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Somehow Stroman went 4-2 with a 3.77 ERA (despite a rotten 1.475 WHIP), and the Mets went 8-3 in his 11 starts.  Of course, as we know, Stroman is no innings-eater...he pitched just 59.2 IP as a Met.

Assuming Matz is still here next year, Mets basically have two fifth starters who rarely go deep into games...unless BVW can somehow pull off a miracle and build a pen that isn't made up of other teams' rejects and bad signings like Familia, this is going to be a problem. 

And of course, depending on what happens, both Syndergaard and Wheeler could be gone.  Neither one thrills me (I can't possibly be more down on Noah), but I'm curious to see who BVW would find to replace them.  Not saying that they should be kept just because (I can't say that I'd be excited if that rotation comes back completely intact), but I'm not sure if an obvious upgrade is out there. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well at least Alonso got the record all to himself...couldn't have dreamed of anywhere near as good a rookie season.  Maybe on a better team he even gets MVP votes.

Yeah no words.  He had slumps here and there, but a big drop off never came.  Obviously the juiced ball makes 2019 a bit iffy (much like 1987), but still, hell of an achievement for Alonso.  

On 8/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree, new deadline should be 8/15 or thereabouts.  7/31 is too early now, especially now that Deadline #2 is no longer. 

Yeah impossible not to be wary of Callaway...I think BVW would love to hire someone else, but if the team manages to win its way into a WC berth and then wins THAT game, there's probably no case to be made for canning Mickey before the season.  Wouldn't surprise me if he's gone should the Mets start slowly next season though...I don't think BVW & Co will blindly hope for lighting to strike again. 

So here's the winning%s the Mets will need for:

88 wins:  .617  (29-18)

87 wins:  .596  (28-19)

86 wins:  .574  (27-20)

85 wins:  .553  (26-21)

None seem outrageous...not saying it will be easy, but it's not like Mike Brown saying "Oh, get 75% of the points, totally doable."  Even 90 wins isn't 100% totally out of the question...not saying that I think the Mets will ever win that many (I'd give them a 10% chance, if that high), but it wasn't so long ago that 80 wins seemed like a total pipe dream.  It's fun even being able to talk about 90 wins without cracking up mid-sentence. 

I say they will end up at 86.  Locking that in. 

86 is still a possibility.  Gotta admit, didn’t think it would happen with the Braves being the final series of the season.  

3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah but you know if this final series meant anything for either team the Braves would find a way to stick it to us lol.

Figures NOW the Brewers finally hit tilt (and right when in sight of the division too) but too late for it to matter in the WC chase.

There are certain players on this team that suddenly come to life when the pressure’s off, that’s for damned sure.  I can see another season-ending shutout for Noah today.  

Alonso is a special player. It was nice to see him get the record. We generally don't get individual achievement moments like this. Hundley had his record breaker (against Atlanta too) but that didn't hold up very long. Sheffield got 500 HR in a Mets uniform...he wasn't a real Met though. It took forever just to get 1 no hitter...and Johans career promptly fell apart like 2 starts later

This was a big special moment. 53 home runs as a rookie. I mean that would sort of be like if Jack Hughes hit 50 goals or 100 pts as a rookie. It just doesn't happen often. And it's nice to see such a positive moment and a positive story happen to a guy in a Mets uniform. We've been freightrained by too many lolmets incidents. 

And yes Atlanta would've stuck it to us had these games meant anything...but I'm glad they're going out there, winning, finishing strong. Let's get to 87 wins, let's get some confidence in W's over the Braves, and let's set the tone for going into next season and hopefully getting 90+ and making the playoffs. This team is not that far

86 wins indeed.

Well done Dom...best of luck wherever you wind up...

Man...Mets actually went 19-10 after those brutal back-to-back sweeps.  Milwaukee just forgot how to lose.  

18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man...Mets actually went 19-10 after those brutal back-to-back sweeps.  Milwaukee just forgot how to lose.  

They were remarkably resilient. Bullpen blowup after bullpen blowup. Callaway costing the Mets games. That locker room pulled itself together. I think there are a lot of good budding leaders in there, Nimmo, McNeil, deGrom. Even Frazier who does drive you nuts as a plate...seems to be well liked. I can see Alonso becoming a respected leader. They have a mix of guys who really want to win...and born losers (Familia, Diaz) Conforto I'm still not sure about but he's trending overrated

It was a nice way to end the season. Granted these were going through the motions/Spring Training in September games for the Braves...but we have plenty to build on for 2020

Talk about disappointing though. The Phillies were a mercenary led disaster. Tried to buy their way back to relevancy. Didn't work. Nice 9-16 stretch to finish the season for those losers (after a 12-28 finish last year). Manager Meathead probably shouldn't get another year. They'll probably be looking at Maddon too

Edited by '7'

I know most players don't think this way, but some of them gotta be looking at Diaz and thinking "You motherfvcker..."  I put a lot of the blame of this team coming up short on him.  He killed them multiple times...but like you allude to, there's enough truly resilient guys in that clubhouse now that they just don't quit.  The only reason we barely noticed them going 19-10 after a losing streak that should've destroyed them was because Milwaukee just went so damned crazy.  19-10 is really damned good most of the time...but as we know, they needed more like 23-6 or 24-5.  It's rough when you're 11 games under .500 well over halfway into the season.  That sh!t CANNOT happen again in 2020, no way. 

No way Mickey will be here in 2020...it's obvious.  We know his many shortcomings, but now that he won't be the Mets' problem anymore, I don't feel the need to continue to go into what a general f*ck-up he was...the players did seem to like them though, and in general they did play hard for him (though not always smart). 

Yeah, Phillies sure haven't figured out how to get through Septembers yet.  They're to September what the Mets are to June.  And Harper is overrated...somewhere between good and very good, but definitely not great. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I know most players don't think this way, but some of them gotta be looking at Diaz and thinking "You motherfvcker..."  I put a lot of the blame of this team coming up short on him.  He killed them multiple times...but like you allude to, there's enough truly resilient guys in that clubhouse now that they just don't quit.  The only reason we barely noticed them going 19-10 after a losing streak that should've destroyed them was because Milwaukee just went so damned crazy.  19-10 is really damned good most of the time...but as we know, they needed more like 23-6 or 24-5.  It's rough when you're 11 games under .500 well over halfway into the season.  That sh!t CANNOT happen again in 2020, no way. 

No way Mickey will be here in 2020...it's obvious.  We know his many shortcomings, but now that he won't be the Mets' problem anymore, I don't feel the need to continue to go into what a general f*ck-up he was...the players did seem to like them though, and in general they did play hard for him (though not always smart). 

Yeah, Phillies sure haven't figured out how to get through Septembers yet.  They're to September what the Mets are to June.  And Harper is overrated...somewhere between good and very good, but definitely not great. 

😂 No doubt. Though to this teams credit, they haven't thrown anybody under the bus. I don't know how they can restrain themselves.

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

😂 No doubt. Though to this teams credit, they haven't thrown anybody under the bus. I don't know how they can restrain themselves.

Yeah, they do deserve credit for that, because it had to suck knowing not only that Diaz was just killing them, but that their idiot manager continued to put him in spots where he was almost guaranteed to implode. 

And I REALLY hope that I'm dead wrong on this, but I have this sinking feeling that BVW is feeling very proud of himself at the moment, and feeling a bit too much like he led the "turnaround" of the Mets.  Sure, we saw the immediate fallout from the Diaz/Cano "blockbuster", but what we won't see for a while is how the prospects turn out, that he basically threw away.  JD Davis was a nice find for sure (hopefully he's not a one-year wonder), and Ramos is a nice bat (though clearly deficient behind the plate)...but whatever renaissance the Mets enjoyed was really facilitated by guys who are already here, or had just come up (Alonso, McNeil, Rosario becoming a solid bat, Conforto even though he's the last guy I trust in the clutch, etc). 

Thank God Lagares is finally done here (or should be)...his bat just never developed or was consistent, and of course he missed plenty of games.  I understood Sandy trying to buy up his arb years at a potential discount based on his early breakout season, but unfortunately that helped to made him difficult to move for anything decent. 

Syndergaard's been saying how much he really does love being a Met and how much he wants to be a part of this thing going forward...I still say if the Red Sox are high on him and would accept him as part of a package for Mookie Betts, the Mets would be crazy not to listen.  Noah just seems like a guy who's forever going to tease big things, but will either miss time due to injury, or be strangely ordinary for too many stretches.  deGrom he'll never be.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well, it would have been a major upset had he stayed...that never felt like a realistic option.  This feels like par for the course...BUT, it wouldn't have been so long ago that Sandy and the Wilpons would've kept Mickey on, almost to spite Met fans. 

Hard to believe that Mickey leaves this gig with a winning record...almost seems miraculous. 

Of course, the big question is do they again try to go cheapsies on the next Met manager?  Or do they actually go for one of the more costly names?

Good riddance to perhaps the worst in game tactical manager I've ever seen. He added absolutely zero value to the team. He was completely and hopelessly inept when it came to managing a game. He cost the team games by not understanding the most basic baseball strategy and situations.

It's going to be very very hard to find somebody worse.

Edited by '7'

Yeah, he was a dope.  And wasn't showing any signs of getting better, even if the team's record suggested otherwise.

Pretty funny write-up:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mickey-callaway-not-realizing-he-likely-wont-be-back-with-mets-implies-zack-wheeler-will-be-gone/ar-AAHQvrr