2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

I think we've all known that Girardi can be abrasive...though after Bobby V, somehow just about EVERYONE doesn't seem all that abrasive by comparison.

I'm sure Girardi can rub some people the wrong way at times, but he'd still be light years ahead of Mickey.  And he's had success.  I'm still interested. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think we've all known that Girardi can be abrasive...though after Bobby V, somehow just about EVERYONE doesn't seem all that abrasive by comparison.

I'm sure Girardi can rub some people the wrong way at times, but he'd still be light years ahead of Mickey.  And he's had success.  I'm still interested. 

I'm still interested as well and would hire him asap. Plus people change and learn from previous mistakes. If Girardi makes the appropriate changes personality wise and tones some of this down, he can have an extremely successful run here. Plus baseball is not quite as team a sport as other things. Teams can hate manager, teams can hate each other with visceral passions and win anyway. It happens all the time

It's also an absolute foregone conclusion BVW and Girardi will clash. They will just have to figure out how to coexist

Edited by '7'

BVW has to realize it will probably be YEARS before real baseball men begin to have any real respect for him.  Right now he's likely seen as a newbie/former agent/wannabe GM who only got the job because of one dysfunctional organization that was kooky enough to give him the job. 

I think Girardi is intrigued by the young talent that the Mets have somehow managed to practically stumble upon in spite of themselves...I think he sees a group that can win with the right guy leading them.  But that means that BVW can't be a meddling micromanager.  It also means Jeffy has to stay the fvck out of personnel decisions...it won't ever happen, but I could see Girardi knocking him out one day, I really could.

• 2 weeks later...

Prediction for 2020:  Yankee fans go into this offseason hoping for either Cole or Strasburg...

...and wind up with Zack Wheeler.  

The guess here is that is not going to fly with that fanbase at all.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I mean at some point even Cashman's gotta start getting some heat.  For all the years the Yankees have been in contention and still a top five payroll every year they 'only' have one WS in two decades, and they really have been too blase about their starting pitching in recent years.  They'll say it didn't matter, it was their offense that let them down in the Astro series and it was...but that also goes back to the all-power approach they have, and the reliance on old, injury-prone, strikeout-prone guys.  There's also the fact the manager switch hasn't really moved the needle to this point.  And when you do have starting pitching that goes 4-5 innings that puts an inordinate amount of pressure on the bullpen for everyone to have it that night.

If they get Wheeler watch him come up lame and they'll blame us for abusing him like Pedro Feliciano :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, clearly that’s the one knock on Cashman to this point...he has simply not come up with enough starting pitching for a number of years.  And he’s made some real mistakes there with some bad signings, but the good news in Yankeeland is that you at least get the opportunity to buy your way out of such mistakes.  Some of Cash’s worse signings would cripple other teams.  I do think he’s a good GM overall, but he’d have a hell of a time working for the Wilpons.

After that Lemahieu HR I thought the Yankees were taking that series in 7, after the kind of year they had overcoming all those injuries and getting quality performances out of so many players that you'd never expect it...it sort of seemed like it would be the Yankees year. But the Astros were a 107 win juggernaut themselves much like that Sox were last year. Yankees have done very well for themselves of late but keep running into the most stacked team in their league back to back years. For teams like that even a dramatic gut punch HR...they just shake it off and keep going

I think NYY would've beaten Washington in the World Series.

Edited by '7'

We'll never know...but I know what you're talking about.  In 1994, the two best teams in the NHL were clearly the Rangers and the Devils.  And the series that involved the two best teams happened to be the ECF instead of the SCF.  I think the Devils probably would've dispatched the Canucks with less effort than the Rangers.  But sometimes as the 2nd-best team, you get stuck facing the top team earlier.  And that top team does what it's supposed to. 

But yeah, last couple of seasons have been rough for Yankee fans...sure, sailing into the postseason is great, but I'm sure it's frustrating never getting to the promised land...especially since that fanbase is SO used to at least getting to the World Series.  It's been a while (for them) now.  Whoever would've thought that the friggin' Mets would have more WS appearances in the 2010s than the Yankees?!

On 10/21/2019 at 2:25 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We'll never know...but I know what you're talking about.  In 1994, the two best teams in the NHL were clearly the Rangers and the Devils.  And the series that involved the two best teams happened to be the ECF instead of the SCF.  I think the Devils probably would've dispatched the Canucks with less effort than the Rangers.  But sometimes as the 2nd-best team, you get stuck facing the top team earlier.  And that top team does what it's supposed to. 

But yeah, last couple of seasons have been rough for Yankee fans...sure, sailing into the postseason is great, but I'm sure it's frustrating never getting to the promised land...especially since that fanbase is SO used to at least getting to the World Series.  It's been a while (for them) now.  Whoever would've thought that the friggin' Mets would have more WS appearances in the 2010s than the Yankees?!

What struck me about watching rewatching game 7 recently was how tired the Devils seemed. Even when they really needed to press for the tying goal they had almost nothing. Sure Zelepukin got it done but that was like literally their only scoring chance in the last 10 minutes. But yea I think they probably catch their 2nd wind and beat Vancouver. Canucks had a lot of insane luck that postseason and were top heavy. Lemaire would've figured out a way to suffocate Bure and after that...who really scared you to pick up the slack?

2009...feels like 5 years ago but yea...hard to believe they haven't even been there in 10 years. Though there's always an air of inevitability with the Yankees that they will get there sooner rather than later. I don't see them ever having like a 20 year stretch of not getting there. They're just too in the mix every year.

Edited by '7'

My personal feeling is that it will be Eduardo Perez, and that the Phillies will snatch up the superior candidate in Joe Girardi because the Mets don't want to pay him. Phillies are trying to buy their way back to relevancy so I can see that going down

Perez will be a cheap under the radar guy. No experience of course. Why would we want that?

Tim Bogar is another guy I'm hearing. Just 22 games of experience with the 2014 Rangers. Not sure what they see in him

Edited by '7'

8 hours ago, '7' said:

The best theory I heard yet is Bobby V lol...but with Jeff and company bombshell probably means one of the broadcasters (Darling most likely since Keith would never want to work 162 games :P) or worse.

And it better not be Gabe Kapler...that would be Gase 2.0.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The best theory I heard yet is Bobby V lol...but with Jeff and company bombshell probably means one of the broadcasters (Darling most likely since Keith would never want to work 162 games :P) or worse.

And it better not be Gabe Kapler...that would be Gase 2.0.

Kapler would be nauseating. I think he's linked to a few other teams as of now though. But really it would be as meaningless and lateral a move as possible going from Callaway to Kapler. Though I can't imagine Kapler or anybody being worse at managing a pen or team in general. Even the worst candidate we're getting from this pile I think will be better than Mickey

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course Girardi to the Phillies is official. fvck Brodie and Jeff.

Can't even get mad because that result was so predictable.  Will be Beltran or Perez I'm sure.  Yippy.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Can't even get mad because that result was so predictable.  Will be Beltran or Perez I'm sure.  Yippy.

What does it say that ALL the manager moves so far this offseason were predicted weeks ago? People have rumored Ross to the Cubs for months. Girardi and Maddon landed in the obvious spots once those teams booted their managers. Clearly the Mets are headed to a predictable hire, bombshell hype to the contrary.

Edited by NJDevs4978

21 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Of course Girardi to the Phillies is official. fvck Brodie and Jeff.

Yea this was pretty much destined.

Bottom line is that the Mets were just not all that interested in Girardi as manager. Never made an offer. 

I'm hoping it's not some 1st time scrub but...yea it probably will be. 

And maybe Beltran will be a great manager who knows. There's no data on him, but his history as a Met just points to future heartbreak. That frozen strike 3 call will never be atoned for, as well as those other things that have rubbed Mets fans the wrong way (Walter Reed stuff etc)

Heck maybe he's just trying to get his feet wet as Mets manager as prep for his real dream job. Yankees manager. That was another bothersome thing about him here...we all knew he wanted to be a Yankee.

15 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

What does it say that ALL the manager moves so far this offseason were predicted weeks ago? People have rumored Ross to the Cubs for months. Girardi and Maddon landed in the obvious spots once those teams booted their managers. Clearly the Mets are headed to a predictable, less expensive hire.

Fixed.

Always about saving pennies with the fvcking Wilpons, always. 

I feel for Beltran or Perez, in that they're already coming into a hostile environment. 

'7', re:  Beltran, that really is the irony...he wants to be the Met manager more than he ever wanted to be a Mets player.  It's actually kind of bizarre.

35 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Fixed.

Always about saving pennies with the fvcking Wilpons, always. 

I feel for Beltran or Perez, in that they're already coming into a hostile environment. 

'7', re:  Beltran, that really is the irony...he wants to be the Met manager more than he ever wanted to be a Mets player.  It's actually kind of bizarre.

Yes of course. The money is an enormous issue. And with the Phillies going above and beyond in trying to buy themselves back into contention...why wouldn't they do the same for Girardi. And they did.

I'm more into Perez than Beltran. Beltran can sulk, be moody...I think he understands the game at a high level but has no leadership skills at all. Perez has a strong baseball pedigree...was raised in the sport. His dad cast a huge shadow but he made it in the sport to an extent without having the god given skills of his hall of fame father. Perez I think will be able to connect with players of all backgrounds and abilities.

And speaking of Tony Perez...the guy was still hitting .255 at the age of 44 somehow. Heck at 43 even in a far reduced role still hit .328 in 200 plate appearances

Edited by '7'

16 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And another what could have been

Yea this would've bee a solid hire. And the Sox are a top org who know what they're doing most times. Did Bloom really want anything to do with us in the first place? He's probably intelligent enough to avoid the dysfunction and wait around until a job like the Sox came along

I'm sure once Bloom realized that Jeffy would want to play assistant GM, that he was better off getting almost any other gig.  I still think BVW doesn't realize that the rest of the league doesn't think nearly as high of him as he does himself.

re:  Bogar...yeah, sounds like a Mets kind of hire.  Go cheap and pray that it might work out.  I'll take him over Beltran. 

Apparently one of (apparently there are several) Mets mystery candidates is a rather underwhelming guy named Pat Murphy. 60 years old, a lot of collegiate managing experience and about 100 games under his belt as the Padres interim manager in 2015. He's the Brewers bench coach currently

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/get-to-know-pat-murphy-a-mystery-mets-manager-candidate/311307852

fwiw he's been an outstanding collegiate manager. I have no idea if that translates to the majors...has it in the past? no clue

Edited by '7'