2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Yeah, wouldn't have paid that for Wheeler either (this couldn't be more of a massive FA overpayment), but yeah, BVW is not a good or smart GM, and of course, he's still gotta deal with Meddling Jeffy at every turn. 

And if Stroman was supposed to be the insurance for Wheeler leaving, I consider that a downgrade.  Stroman's a fifth starter (or should be).  And the Mets now have two of them in Stroman and Matz. 

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

OTOH there is some good news (maybe)

Any scenario that has Jeffy fvcking Wilpon involved for a guaranteed five years takes a bit of steam out of any good news.  But if this means that the Mets might actually spend like a big boy team...hard to not love that...

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Any scenario that has Jeffy fvcking Wilpon involved for a guaranteed five years takes a bit of steam out of any good news.  But if this means that the Mets might actually spend like a big boy team...hard to not love that...

Yeah that's pretty vague...some people are taking it to mean Jeff and Fred are greasing the skids to get out after five years (the fact there's a time limit on the amount of time they'll remain in control is I suppose what is setting off this speculation) but I'll believe that when they make the announcement.

It's really hard to imagine owners worse than the Wilpons.  They are way up there.  Like you just said, I'll take my chances with the billionaire. 

Phillies, laughingstock that they are, really trying to buy their way back to relevancy. This is a laughable over payment. Wheeler is far too unreliable and just too...not special. Average. Would anybody be surprised if he misses like 10 starts a year and has an era in the mid 4's now? This has such a potential for disaster

• Like 1

1 minute ago, '7' said:

Phillies, laughingstock that they are, really trying to buy their way back to relevancy. This is a laughable over payment. Wheeler is far too unreliable and just too...not special. Average. Would anybody be surprised if he misses like 10 starts a year and has an era in the mid 4's now? This has such a potential for disaster

Yeah I'm more annoyed that BVW didn't try to move him at the deadline than the fact that he left...BUT, that run out of nowhere did make for an entertaining second half.  I can't pretend that it didn't. 

Zack was really having a mediocre season until his final six starts...he had a 4.52 ERA on 8/24, before putting up a 1.80 ERA over his final 6 starts.  He just seems like one of those guys who won't ever put it all together over a full season...and he'll be making his home starts in a launching pad of a bandbox.  Yeah, this one could blow up royally.

2 hours ago, '7' said:

And yet from what i saw, there was a bigger offer on the table, he chose Philly for a reason. 

4 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

And yet from what i saw, there was a bigger offer on the table, he chose Philly for a reason. 

His wife is from New Jersey. She didn't want to move to Chicago

offer was from the White Sox

Edited by '7'

14 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

The funny thing is that I think he would've even left the Philly offer on the table, if the Mets were willing to even be in the ballpark of the Phillies' offer...say, 5 years around $100 million...I think he really wanted to stay here, but it was clear the Mets had no interest in ponying up for him...definitely not at the value this market had established for him.  I know part of it is the Wilpon Mets forever being cheap, but I can't kill the Mets on this one.  To put it another way, IF the Mets had signed him for, say, 5 years and $105 million, I would've been far more nervous about it than excited. 

17 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

With the caveat the new guy can always somehow be worse...on paper a billionaire owning the team is an automatic upgrade over the Coupons so SELL SELL SELL

I am with you that it's impossible not for a new ownership group to represent an upgrade over the completely buffoonish Wilpons.  They truly epitomized "nightmare owners" time and time again...cheap, dumb, forever tone-deaf, and always out of touch with their fans.  They never knew what the right thing was until they screwed something up first, and then had to be told what to do.  They treated their fans with contempt and often acted like even bothering to put a team on the field was doing the Mets fans some major favor.  There may not be a bigger jerk in MLB than Jeffy, who couldn't better fit the classic "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" saying.  He was a pompous meddler who was enabled by Daddy Warbucks to think that he was somehow a baseball man...a delusion that he still clearly believes to this day, and probably always will.  The Mets had little chance to win as long as both of them were in full control, and a major pall over this franchise has been lifted just by the fact that their time here now has an expiration date.

All of the above being said...my lone fear with Cohen is that he will be one of those richies who literally thinks he just bought his own Fantasy Baseball Team.  We already love him because he's Not-The-Wilpons and he has money, money and some more money.  I just PRAY that even though he's a Met fan, he doesn't become one of "I rule the world" owners who meddles in everything and won't let solid baseball men run the team.  There's obviously different types of rotten owners, and the omnipotent billionaire who thinks he doesn't have to answer to anyone can be just as much of a trainwreck as the Wilpons have been.

To be clear, I'm more than willing to give Cohen every chance here, and I'm thrilled that his entrance will mean the eventual exit of the Wilpons...and that Cohen's influx of money should result in not automatically being priced out of certain options by default.  Right now, this can only be seen as a positive.  The alternative offered little to no hope, and more of the same...if the Wilpons hadn't learned from their endless barrage of mistakes and missteps through the years, it's impossible to imagine we wouldn't have gotten more of the same, more "Typical fvcking Wilpons" nonsense.  Now there's real reason to hope that the Mets can act like a fvcking Big Market team again. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

As I was reminded yesterday on NYFS, we went through this with Einhorn a while back and the Wilpons pulled out so I want to curb my anticipation a bit. But I do hope like Benigno said this morning the Wilpons are looking at this universal reaction and fully realize how much they’re hated, maybe that convinces them to cash in and get out of the way once and for all.

23 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

As I was reminded yesterday on NYFS, we went through this with Einhorn a while back and the Wilpons pulled out so I want to curb my anticipation a bit. But I do hope like Benigno said this morning the Wilpons are looking at this universal reaction and fully realize how much they’re hated, maybe that convinces them to cash in and get out of the way once and for all.

Yeah of course this could all fall through...but it does sound like it's close. 

What's funny is even if it were Cohen who decided to pull out, for whatever reason(s) of his own, it's the Wilpons who would probably wind up getting all of the blame, and would become even more hated than they already are (if such a thing is even possible).  To go full SD, it's almost like you're in this horrible marriage that you're stuck in, you have an affair and a chance to move on with someone who you feel can make you so much happier...then she changes her mind and dumps you, and you now you resent your wife and rotten marriage that much more.  If this does fall through, man I wish I'd never known about any of it to begin with.

36 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Benigno (like me) can get clouded with emotion some time but this was a very cogent thing that he said. Wilpons are bubble livers. This outpouring of just the most exuberant joy by us has got to be jarring to them. I don't think they fully realize how much they were despised and how much Mets fans hate being 2nd fiddle lolmets laughingstocks, incompetent in all matters of baseball for far too long...from PR to injury handling to on field things.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's funny is even if it were Cohen who decided to pull out, for whatever reason(s) of his own, it's the Wilpons who would probably wind up getting all of the blame, and would become even more hated than they already are (if such a thing is even possible).  To go full SD, it's almost like you're in this horrible marriage that you're stuck in, you have an affair and a chance to move on with someone who you feel can make you so much happier...then she changes her mind and dumps you, and you now you resent your wife and rotten marriage that much more.  If this does fall through, man I wish I'd never known about any of it to begin with.

Our hopes are so high right now...if this thing falls apart the Mets fan base will be crushed to an extent it's never been crushed before. Though at least we'd know the Wilpons are looking for a way out...and that some white knight 2.0 may be on the horizon somewhere

I like this move. He's younger. More pop. Seems like he's also you can insert in the late/extra innings to swipe a base too. Will keep the average between .210 and .240 ish. Not someone you'd want starting for any long stretches but definitely a quality extra piece whose skill set is valued by winning teams

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I've heard Cohen was a big Mets fan growing up. Polo Grounds days actually. For him to give up on this dream so close...would be an absolute heartbreak for all

48 minutes ago, '7' said:

I like this move. He's younger. More pop. Seems like he's also you can insert in the late/extra innings to swipe a base too. Will keep the average between .210 and .240 ish. Not someone you'd want starting for any long stretches but definitely a quality extra piece whose skill set is valued by winning teams

Yeah, a bench guy who hopefully is never more than that.  You can never have a guy who struggles to reach base 30% of the time starting for significant stretches. 

2 hours ago, '7' said:

Benigno (like me) can get clouded with emotion some time but this was a very cogent thing that he said. Wilpons are bubble livers. This outpouring of just the most exuberant joy by us has got to be jarring to them. I don't think they fully realize how much they were despised and how much Mets fans hate being 2nd fiddle lolmets laughingstocks, incompetent in all matters of baseball for far too long...from PR to injury handling to on field things.

I think even the Wilpons knew that they weren't exactly beloved, but I do think they probably never realized how truly flat-out HATED they were until now.  And just how incompetent most of the world sees them, when it comes to owning the Mets.  And those feelings of pure hatred will reach all-new heights if this thing somehow doesn't happen.  This feels like the first "for real" time that there's a way out from under the Wilpons.  It would kill to see that taken away for sure. 

And of course, the problem with a White Knight 2.0 is that there's only so many people who could ever take on owning a majority stake of the Mets...who knows how quickly another potential buyer would materialize?  But yeah, if anything, it does sound like the Wilpons might be as sick of owning the Mets as we are of the Wilpons.  If this does go through, I'll be surprised if Jeffy is still around by the end of this 5-year "deal" (not to sound cold but Fred is already 83 years old...will he actually even live another 5 years?  And if he starts having health issues of any kind, I could see him wanting to get out immediately, and try to minimize any stress in his life...who wouldn't?)

Re:  Jeffy, think about it...he's probably the most hated man within the Met organization by the fan base, and Cohen is a Met fan.  I'm sure Cohen doesn't want Jeffy around for any longer than is necessary...it's probably to try to get this thing done, and then they'll figure something out later (maybe a buyout in a year or two). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Part of me thinks the five year window is to try to get Fred a title before he croaks and so he owns the team for most of the rest of his life.

Cold very well be and that makes plenty of sense, but I really don't like the idea of Jeffy still being involved in personnel decisions.  He should have minimal input on any of that. 

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Part of me thinks the five year window is to try to get Fred a title before he croaks and so he runs the team for most of the rest of his life.

Well, he does have one from 1986. Though I'm not sure if he was a partner or still a minority owner back then. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Cold very well be and that makes plenty of sense, but I really don't like the idea of Jeffy still being involved in personnel decisions.  He should have minimal input on any of that. 

Major League Baseball in general I'm sure was looking down the road...Fred's age. Jeff's reputation. Around baseball Jeff Wilpon is an enormous laughing stock, hugely incompetent, and just universally reviled. The day was approaching sooner than later that he was going to be the unquestionable head honcho here. They just couldn't let that happen. Nobody in that MLB owners inner circle wanted to deal with Jeff Wilpon, and they knew they couldn't leave a NY franchise in his care indefinitely. It's just outright bad for business