2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

On 12/12/2019 at 2:54 PM, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's just sad that the cupboard is that bare that a complete no-chance zilch like Tebow gets another year to prove what we already know...that he's really no better than a A+/AA player at best, and even then he's not good in those leagues.  But you'll have his disciples acting like he just needs more time and one day he'll get in a few MLB games.  Nothing against Tebow the person really...if the Mets are insisting on keeping this charade going, and he's got the spare time, I can't really put this on HIM. 

Really not looking forward to some of BVW's tossed-aside prospects making it to the big leagues and playing well, while we get to watch the rotting corpse of Robinson Cano.  And Stroman giving up 10+ hits every start.

He probably keeps attendance up there. His followers...well, they follow him. We should keep him around permanently as a mascot 😋

Have to say I do kind of like the Wacha signing. Maybe I'm just a bit more content with the Mets at this moment knowing and feeling (hoping) that there is a light at the end of the tunnel regarding the ownership. But maybe just MAYBE we can get 2013-2015 Wacha it will be a good signing. I don't know we always have guys like this where we bring them in for 1 year, on the cheap, and pray they stay healthy (and produce at an acceptable level if healthy)

Just hopefully we don't have to approach things like this all that much longer

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mets actually sign Betances to a one-year deal with 'two' player options lol...at least they did SOMEthing attempting to improve the pen though.

Heh heh looks like the fvcking Wilpons actually put some of the Cespedes savings back into the team.  Didn’t think they would.

Was just thinking the same thing. Thought those Cesp savings were just going to be pocketed...but the bullpen absolutely couldn't be ignored. The late game breakdowns and Mickey's idiocy cost us a playoff spot. Betances, if he's healthy and if he can pick up where he left off can make a huge difference for us.

I know Lugo wants to start...tough. We need him in the pen for 2020. If only Diaz can be who he was, a Betances/Lugo/Diaz/Justin Wilson core in that pen should be solid and reliable. But again...lots of what ifs

• 2 weeks later...

BVW claiming that the 1 year Betances signing was meant to blow the cover off our ceiling and how our bullpen has the potential to be one of the best in baseball? huh? Bit much there. Just last year we were pretty much on pace to set the ALL TIME blown saves in a season record. It's not going to get this good with 1 signing. I'm hoping Diaz and Familia somehow rebound and are merely below average rather than the HISTORICALLY putrid they were in 2019. Wouldn't shock me if both clowns are out there throwing up 5era's again. 

BVW really needs to STFU.  Just stop talking.  Guy acts like he’s fvcking won a championship already.  

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

Cespedes is just a walking sitcom. 

Really not looking forward to seeing him next season.  Where the fvck was he when the team could've used him?  Still don't think he really has any desire to play baseball, or any great love for the game.  Means to an end for him.  

And to top that off Crane outright FIRED both Luhnow and Hinch.  It seems a little harsh for Luhnow since he's not in the clubhouse day to day but I guess ultimately the head baseball guy has gotta walk the plank too.

Glad Beltran hadn't retired at that time lol, since they didn't punish the players for obvious reasons.  Cora could well get a year plus suspension and lose his job too cause he's a part of two of these.

Edited by NJDevs4978

20 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And to top that off Crane outright FIRED both Luhnow and Hinch.  It seems a little harsh for Luhnow to me, he wasn't exactly responsible for the clubhouse day-to-day but I guess you gotta off the head baseball guy, especially if there's evidence he had knowledge of it.

Yeah just saw that and was about to post that info.  I think it's simply a case of ownership trying to distance the Astros from the taint of the past.  Wouldn't surprise me much if they knew about it at the time.    

Cora is expected to face harsh punishment as well.  Sounds like Beltran was pretty heavily involved too (saw him referred to as a "ringleader" more than once), based on some of these punishment articles...but due to being a player at the time, he won't face any penalties.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

This writer doesn't know NY very well:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/mets/2020/01/14/astros-scandal-carlos-beltran-mets-manager-avoids-discipline/4463886002/

Phew. 

Carlos Beltrán, the New York Mets and their fans may breathe a collective sigh of relief. Spring training in Port St. Lucie, Florida, looks like it will be controversy free — something that seemed uncertain a few weeks ago. 

Does this guy really believe that this is over for Beltran?  He got caught in a lie, with one manager already having his lost job in Hinch, and another one who seems pretty certain to in Cora.  Everyone is going to wonder why the hell one of the "ringleaders" in this whole thing isn't going to have to pay SOME kind of price for his involvement.  This did not die for the NY media with the announcement that Beltran avoided punishment.

It is funny how the Mets more than any other organization can get themselves in classic Catch-22 situations, again and again and again.  If they decide to can Beltran now, they're screwed and will have about a month to scramble to find a replacement (sadly I could see Collins being the guy, even if it's only for one season...if nothing else, he'll bring old-school credibility and integrity, even if he's not a very good manager...never was, really).  If the Mets keep Beltran on, then they're the franchise that condones cheating and are willing to look the other way while others will plenty to lose bit the bullet and went beyond the discipline meted out by MLB.   And of course, suffice it to say that the Mets will be watched like hawks for the foreseeable future.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

LOL so I guess the fifty people that Jeff has to talk to hasn't come to a consensus yet

Distraction or no I actually would hate to see Beltran get fired over this (unless he specifically lied to management about it during his interviews), since it feels like a bit of a hit job by Manfred only putting his name among the players in the report.  There wasn't any reason to specifically name him since he couldn't punish Beltran regardless, otherwise you might as well name all the other 23 players too.  The only reason for going out of your way to put his name in the report is to try to shame the Mets into punishing him where baseball can't.  I don't think the fans want Beltran out as much as the media's going to cry and whine for it and the Mets'll probably capitulate like they usually do, especially now with Cora out of there the spotlight's solely on them.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah, Manfred specifically puts his name out there, and will let the forever self-righteous NY media do the rest (basically beat this thing to death until the Mets cave, which they will).  Obviously Beltran is no angel, but something annoying as hell about these dork writers having so much power (especially since they’ll all be patting themselves on the back once Beltran loses his job).

I do think on some level the writers resent that Beltran lied to THEM during his presser and probably are more out to get him becuase of it.

If management did specifically ask Beltran about this behind closed doors and he lied to them, then if they want to deem that as fireable, I can understand that since he'll have blindsided them with this firestorm.  Just something doesn't smell right over the fact we did not benefit at all from what the Astros pulled in 2017 and yet we wind up getting punished losing our manager over it.  The Astros lost their GM/manager because they benefitted from cheating.  The Red Sox lose their manager because they benefitted from cheating.  We're the only entity who didn't cheat (as far as we know) getting punished for it.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Wow. Wavering. This is getting dangerously close to a lolmets type moment. I kind of thought he was in the clear and now they may actually sh!tcan him (for WHO? Collins?)

Watch they fire him and then Beltran gets a job elsewhere and becomes this great manager

On one hand (and this is where I'm leaning) I want to say to the Mets "Stick to your guns on Beltran, you hired him, you believe in his managerial abilities...keep him and this will blow over" (and it will most definitely blow over if they stay firm)

Another part of me is thinking...sh!t Beltran/Mets has always been an uncomfortable marriage with this constant undercurrent of failure, bitterness, always wanting to be a Yankee etc. Maybe Mets/Beltran was just never meant to be?

I don't know. The situation is fluid..but my heart and my head right now is saying STICK WITH HIM

• Like 1

It's clear Beltran is on Manfreds hit list for this. Player then, manager now...he was able to skate on a technicality but mentioning him by name clearly puts him in the cross-hairs. The Mets doing nothing may run afoul of Manfred...and he's somebody that we need on our side as we try and phase the Wilpons out and get this new ownership in. I really don't feel that Beltran should lose his job over this (and potentially have a future managerial career derailed) but Manfred may have made it known to the Mets that it would be in their best interest...to at least suspend the guy or something like that.

But an outright firing. Too harsh for his role in it relative to the others 

Manfred needs to think and be reasonable too. What the hell situation am I putting the Mets in here? It's mid January and I'd be leaving them scrambling with no manager. Is this reasonable for a franchise that had no part at all in the cheating?

Edited by '7'

9 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I do think on some level the writers resent that Beltran lied to THEM during his presser and probably are more out to get him becuase of it.

If management did specifically ask Beltran about this behind closed doors and he lied to them, then if they want to deem that as fireable, I can understand that since he'll have blindsided them with this firestorm.  Just something doesn't smell right over the fact we did not benefit at all from what the Astros pulled in 2017 and yet we wind up getting punished losing our manager over it.  The Astros lost their GM/manager because they benefitted from cheating.  The Red Sox lose their manager because they benefitted from cheating.  We're the only entity who didn't cheat (as far as we know) getting punished for it.

The forever holier-than-thou writers can go screw...do they really think everyone is being truthful with them every last moment?  Steroid users lie to them constantly when questioned about past or present use.  

I agree with both you and '7'...obviously I'm far from the biggest Beltran supporter out there, and if he did spew a bunch of bullsh!t to Mets management about his involvement and the Mets as a result feel like they simply can't trust him...I can understand canning him over THAT.  But don't fire him simply because idiots with short memories like Teixeira and CC (take a look at some of your teammates boys) and some of the media think that they know what's best for everyone, and are almost demanding that the Mets now act as the media dictates is "right" .  In a way, I just want the Mets to say "You know what?  fvck all of you (and yes, that includes you too Manfred)!  We're keeping our manager, that's it.  Now you can all spend the next week or so competing with each other to see who can sound the most eloquently outraged and offended, and then it will blow over, and for all we know, you may soon have a legit Manager of the Year candidate that you may have no choice but to vote for, if he's clearly the most deserving candidate.  Suck on THAT!"  

• Thanks 1

Pretty funny tweet from that Twitter thread:

Same Jessica same, my ex dumped me after her bff showed her the video of me & her sister hooking up. Her friend had no right to mess everything up for us.

Yeah, basically she comes off as a company gal here...and gave the "Ya see, dis is why I don't want no broads in spauwts!" crowd a little extra ammo...just shut up Jess.