2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Mickey literally making at least one bad bullpen decision every night, this one it's trying to get a second inning out of Luis Avilan lol

And now Gsellman implodes too, great...they actually have to bring in Diaz in a game that was 6-0 going into the 9th.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Mickey’s even worse at handling a pitching staff than Terry.  Gary and Keith knew more about Avilan’s history than the fvcking MANAGER does.  

Gsellman seems like a guy who’s going to give up a lot of hits this year.

And unfortunately Diaz won’t get the night off because the manager is an idiot.

And Callaway bungles the 9th

A good team can carry a bad manager. To the playoffs sometimes. Maybe win a round. But it's tough to win a WS with a nitwit like this at the helm. He is really really dumb.

Collins was not a brilliant tactician either. But he was better than this. And we justifiably criticized his approach to bullpen management...but we just went from a C student to a D student here

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

And Callaway bungles the 9th

A good team can carry a bad manager. To the playoffs sometimes. Maybe win a round. But it's tough to win a WS with a nitwit like this at the helm. He is really really dumb.

Collins was not a brilliant tactician either. But he was better than this. And we justifiably criticized his approach to bullpen management...but we just went from a C student to a D student here

Yeah he’s REALLY getting exposed as being in over his head.  Mets are 5-1 in spite of him.  

And I know it’s early but Gsellman deserves to fall down the depth chart.  Guy is getting hit all over the place.  

Unfortunately Lugo’s been iffy since his first appearance as well.  BP apart from Diaz is a little scary right now.  

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And I know it’s early but Gsellman deserves to fall down the depth chart.  Guy is getting hit all over the place.  

Unfortunately Lugo’s been iffy since his first appearance as well.  BP apart from Diaz is a little scary right now.  

He's already down the depth chart.  Diaz, Familia, Lugo and Wilson are all clearly the top four in that order.  It's been Gsellman, Peterson and Avilan for whoever can do the least damage after that as it is though why you wouldn't just bring in one of the other two instead of trying to get a second inning out of Avilan is beyond me.

Bob Brenly and Ned Yost come to mind with managers whose teams won in spite of them but yeah it's hard.  And at least Yost knew how to manage a good bullpen.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I can't imagine BVW is watching this and very pleased. Or any of the Mets brass. But some backbreaking Mickey losses are coming. They are coming. Maybe just maybe the first time they hit a 7 losses in 10 games type skid a change is made? We need some kind of excuse to run him out of town. 

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah he’s REALLY getting exposed as being in over his head.  Mets are 5-1 in spite of him.  

And I don't think the team will fall apart or any kind of turmoil will develop if and when he's fired. Because the players themselves...they're sitting there watching this and they know he's not the right guy. And a lot of them remember that horrific stretch last year where he was abominable. I think they would welcome a manager that they can believe in.

24 minutes ago, '7' said:

And I don't think the team will fall apart or any kind of turmoil will develop if and when he's fired. Because the players themselves...they're sitting there watching this and they know he's not the right guy. And a lot of them remember that horrific stretch last year where he was abominable. I think they would welcome a manager that they can believe in.

Problem is, will Riggleman really be that guy?  Presumably he's in Mickey's ear with all these disasterous bullpen moves, either Mickey isn't listening (which alone would be fireable) or Riggleman's that dumb too.  I'm not even going to get into the whole saboteur angle, this isn't John Idzik lol

I always said with Terry Collins, the manager's more or less just gonna be replaced with a similar guy anyway since the prior regime didn't respect managers, well it's actually gotten worse hard to believe.  It's hard for me to imagine it getting worse still with Riggleman but it's not like he was able to keep any of his jobs for a long period.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Fair point Has...fact is that Riggleman might already be doing a fair amount of “managing”...it seems like at least half the time that Mickey’s on camera, Riggleman is in his ear.

And yeah, Riggleman would be your classic retread-type.  He brings experience through accumulated years in the game, but I’m not sure what else.  If anything, if Mickey was given the ax, I could see Riggleman being named the interim guy to start, and technically being auditioned while a search for a replacement gets underway.  If the Mets respond to him and BVW doesn’t find someone to his liking, maybe then the job is Riggleman’s.  His presence gives BVW some flexibility at least.

The chances of this probably still border on remote, and not so long ago I would've ruled it out entirely, based on the Mets being the Mets...but I don't think Vargas gives anyone the warm and fuzzies (and not like Matz is a sure thing either), and if Keuchel decides that he REALLY would like to start drawing a paycheck soon...well, I guess I could say that I wouldn't be nearly as surprised as I once would have been if this guy's actually a Met (on a one-year deal) by May.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2829402-dallas-keuchel-rumors-mets-in-continued-contact-with-free-agent-pitcher

He was up and down last season, but in a 15-start stretch from 6/16 to 9/3, he went 8-2 (team went 11-4) with a 2.57 ERA, and an opposing OPS of .626...his traditional numbers weren't quite dominant (94.2 IP, 89 H, 27 ER, 4 HR, 24 BB, 70 K, 1.19 WHIP), but plenty solid, and suffice it to say that I would kill for a run like that from either Vargas OR Matz.  Gotta figure Keuchel would probably benefit from both facing a pitcher in opposing lineups AND having a more pitcher-friendly park to call home...he could take a bet-on-himself deal to spend a year with the Mets, and could appear to be pitching "better" due to the aforementioned factors.  Only downside is that I'm sure this would kill any chance the Mets might have to fill needs down the line, should the team be in contention around the trade deadline...but it's hard to think that Keuchel wouldn't represent a nice (though costly) upgrade over Vargas.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

At this point I think teams (and maybe the players themselves) are holding out till the draft pick compensation is no longer an issue on Keuchel and I think Kimbrel as well.

When is that? 

Early June? I’m not positive but I think the draft itself is when the pick compensation goes away for these guys. It really is baffling why neither have signed by now otherwise, they’re not getting the long term deals they want but I don’t think teams want to give out short term deals and still lose the pick.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, teams REALLY hate giving up those compensatory picks these days...they really treat them like precious commodities. 

And though I'm intrigued by Keuchel (especially since he'd be displacing Vargas), his last three seasons have kind of been all over the place, and he missed starts in 2017 and 2018.  Just enough red flags that I can see why GMs wouldn't mind adding him, but only for money, and not at the cost of any player assets or picks.  Guess we'll see if some team steps up, in the case of an emergency. 

Assuming that having to cough up a pick ends with the draft, that would be June 5 I guess?  Draft is from June 3 through June 5 this year.

BTW here's what the 'Stros would be awarded if another team signs Keuchel...a "Pick after Competitive Balance Round B"

https://www.mlb.com/draft/order/2019

Sounds like the team that signs him would have to give up its second-highest pick?  For the Mets, that'd be the 53rd player overall.  So the 'Stros would get the 53rd and 79th draft slots, and the Mets would cough up their second round pick. 

Weird game...only 1 hit each per side through six.  And I swear Noah might be the only guy capable of somehow allowing just one hit, but also 2 ER, and throws 98 pitches in his 6 IP.  It just never comes that easily for him.

Hope the Mets get into the Nats’ poison pen soon...

Can't really complain about Thor only allowing three baserunners in six innings, but he was wild early which contributed to his earli-ish exit.  Didn't figure we'd get to Strausberg again either, almost forgot how much he dominated us at Citi till Gary Cohen reminded us just now lol

Oh well, not gonna win ‘em all.  Lugo is becoming an early concern.  Cano’s been pretty quiet since Opening Day.

Matz was again very Niese like today. No runs. But a 5 inning slog. A war with every batter

Gsellman another early concern. He's got nothing right now that's fooling hitters

Edited by '7'

Gotta go more than five Steven.

Bullpen is obviously going to be a problem.  No one outside of Diaz who’s fully trustworthy.