'7'

2019 New York Mets Season Thread

Yeah it's hard to fathom why they let umps get away with being as confrontational as they are, especially bad umps.  Didn't they break the umpires union in the early '90's when they stopped going with seperate umpires for the two leagues?  Guess the power's gone the other way now.  

There's a school of thought they should start having roboumps behind the plate and just call everything automatically but it's not like a computer could call balks or foul tips, well I suppose they could but it's hard to imagine that really happening.

Posted (edited)

Had no idea West did that to Dennis Cook. Cook was a fiery guy too. Surprised he let it happen lol

Joe West is 67 years old. I'm sorry I don't want to sound ageist but ump should automatically be retired at 60. Same with any NFL official. There are too many precise calls that have to be made and at that age he's just not going to have the quickness, the stamina, and certainly not the temperament to get the job done. 95 degree day game in July, bottom of the 14th...do you trust an overweight old fatigued Joe West behind the plate? I don't. And I've seen it with these guys where at some point they say f it I'm getting out of here...if it's close it's a strike. Which wasn't the case in innings 2 or 4

Edited by '7'

Yeah, and I remember that fight because I was watching the game at the time (was in 1990)...the brawl started because the Phillies' Pat Combos hit Gooden with a pitch (Gooden had hit a couple of Phillies in the innings prior...Combs hit him on the first pitch of the inning, as Dwight was leading off)...and Gooden immediately threw down his bat and raced out to the mound...he was as angry as I ever saw him during a game.  It looked like the brawl was starting to die down, then it kind of erupted again (Darren Daulton threw a bunch of cheap shots from what I remember).  Cook was just a rookie back then...West definitely could have hurt him if Cook had landed the wrong way.  Of course West claimed that he was just trying to break things up...sure pal. 

Some stills and info on the brawl: 

http://www.mbtn.net/?p=849

West was always a piece of sh!t, and the umps have been enabled for so long that most of them have that super-punchable "Go ahead I'm untouchable" smirk forever plastered on their faces.  Just once I wouldn't mind seeing someone lose it and go full Jose Offerman on one of them, but the cost is too great to the player or coach who dared to cross that line...can't see it ever happening. 

d'Arnaud still sucks.  Just sayin'.

Too delirious over Hughes to care much but...it happens. deGrom is a human being he wasn't going to be borderline untouchable forever. Still plenty of game to go now let's get him off the hook.

d'Arnaud is a loser.  Losers infect.  Guy shouldn't ever be catching deGrom.

But yeah, deGrom was going to have a bad game eventually.  Rain delay and sh!t weather.  All good Jake.

Posted (edited)

Well at least he picked one HELL of a night to finally be human :lol:

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

d'Arnaud is a loser.  Losers infect.  Guy shouldn't ever be catching deGrom.

But yeah, deGrom was going to have a bad game eventually.  Rain delay and sh!t weather.  All good Jake.

He's just a remnant from the early Sandy days. Everything about d'arnaud is underachievement, disappointment, bad luck...can't blame the guys for injuries but he's almost comically brittle. To me he just screams holdover. He's not a guy who is ever going to be a long term positive contributor. 

d'Arnaud has been in the majors as a Met for SEVEN years somehow. He's never had more than 421 PA's in a season. He's more a ghost than anything else

Edited by '7'

17 hours ago, '7' said:

He's just a remnant from the early Sandy days. Everything about d'arnaud is underachievement, disappointment, bad luck...can't blame the guys for injuries but he's almost comically brittle. To me he just screams holdover. He's not a guy who is ever going to be a long term positive contributor. 

d'Arnaud has been in the majors as a Met for SEVEN years somehow. He's never had more than 421 PA's in a season. He's more a ghost than anything else

Yeah, all of the above...to me he's a reminder of how hollow the Sandy era usually was...it's like remodeling 90% of your family room, yet this one tattered and broken-down recliner hasn't been replaced yet.  I hate that he's still in the picture, even if it's in a reduced role.  Maybe if he was more durable, maybe if circumstances were just different enough, the guy could've had a better career.  But stop trying to make Travis happen already.  He's friggin' THIRTY now.  He's not going to be any better than he is right now, especially behind the plate, where he's been a liability for years. 

Nice pitching by the Twins that inning...good lord.  I’ll take it.

Great patience shown by the Mets there. A bit of idiocy on the basepaths? Of course. That's a given. But otherwise a perfect inning waiting out the Twins pitchers

Take this one home Noah. Not 6-3, not 6-4 with the pen cleaning up a mess. Shut the Twins down 

• Like 1

Yeah Thor's continuing his tease of almost being great.  Sort of like post-'85 Doc.  At least the offense continues to put runs in, even with Cano already giving me Alomar heebie-jeebies.

Pete Alonso is a monster. He massacres baseballs

Rosario has also taken steady steps forward too, perhaps he’s starting to live up to the top five prospect in baseball tag, not that it’s always indicative of future success but still. 

This pen. My god. I mean it is disgusting. And they showed some stats earlier. The entire NL East has wretched pens top to bottom

That Alonso home run was the 9th hardest (exit velocity) HR hit in the majors since 2015.

The 8 slots ahead of Alonso are all occupied by Judge and Stanton

23 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Yeah Thor's continuing his tease of almost being great.  Sort of like post-'85 Doc.  At least the offense continues to put runs in, even with Cano already giving me Alomar heebie-jeebies.

Not that worried about Cano yet. 2015/2016/2017 it took him a few weeks to get going too. Usually if he starts slow by May he's got things figured out

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah what a run to start his career by Alonso.  Good for him.

Amed still looks like the younger Amed at times, but I’ll take his current start any day.

And yeah, pen is beyond shaky right now.  Even Diaz seems less potent (though fortunately is still getting it done).  

Matz with 6 good innings...feels like that’s all you can ask from him right now.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

11 hours ago, '7' said:

This pen. My god. I mean it is disgusting. And they showed some stats earlier. The entire NL East has wretched pens top to bottom

All of baseball does pretty much, even the Yankees pen has been a disappointment so far. Maybe they have juiced the ball again. That doesn’t explain poor Chris Davis though :P

Posted (edited)

Chris Davis at this point looks like he needs to retire. I mean he looks the most hopeless person at the plate that I've ever seen. 2011 Adam Dunn level. Even Rob Deer on his worst day wasn't like this (Deers OBP was always over .300)

At this point it's purely psychological. I mean yes physically his bat has slowed down. Maybe he's not as quick picking up the ball eyesight wise. Happens to veteran hitters. But now the mental battle he's facing. It's almost becoming a Sasser/Knoblauch/Devils Shootout thing.

Edited by '7'

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

All of baseball does pretty much, even the Yankees pen has been a disappointment so far. Maybe they have juiced the ball again. That doesn’t explain poor Chris Davis though :P

There is no doubt the ball is juiced. It's an appeal to millennials thing. They want insane HR totals. To what degree it's been juiced who knows. But around 2013/14 I think things started to normalize with steroids out of the game and the use of a conventional baseball. In the NL you basically had three guys hit 30+ and the rest in the 20's. The MLB was having none of that

Actually I think a pretty apt comparison to Davis was Hundley when he came back (probably too early) in 1998. 142 plate appearances and looked beyond hopeless

6 full from Wheeler. 111 pitches so a laborious outing but only 2 runs. 3 BB's...7 k's. A step in the right direction

30 minutes ago, '7' said:

6 full from Wheeler. 111 pitches so a laborious outing but only 2 runs. 3 BB's...7 k's. A step in the right direction

Kinda sorta...that’s the kind of outing Wheeler used to have all too often.  With each start in 2019, the second half of 2018 looks more and more like a fluke.

Let's go out there and sweep them this weekend. It would be a good early season message to the reigning division champs that we just walked into your building and dusted you without so much as breaking a sweat. Won't be easy with Vargas on Saturday but Sunday is deGrom 

This is a good division unfortunately. You have the pushover Marlins but us, the Nats, the Phillies, and the Braves are all good baseball teams and this will be a bitter long fight for the division. As of now I believe we're the best team in the NL East. And we need to rack up these divisional wins. Currently 8-3. Let's get in the Braves heads a bit.