'7'

2019 New York Mets Season Thread

How about that...Juan Lagares.

Hey if this team is going to pick itself up off the canvas it's going to take big hits from unlikely sources late in games

Posted (edited)

Oh that Nats bullpen

All they did was wait out Scherzer basically. When Rajai Davis and Juan Lagares and Adeiny Hechavarria are mauling your pen...you got serious problems

And these are not bloops and bleeders either. They're killing the baseball

Edited by '7'
  • Like 1

Wow this Nats pen just absolutely KILLS game after game for their team.  Doesn’t matter who they bring in.

You have to wonder if the Nats brass starts thinking about tearing this thing apart soon. They're already 10 under and 9 out and sagging badly. Mets can make it 11 under by tomorrow afternoon and I think they will. With the pen in historic shambles. Harper gone. 7-16 in their last 23.

They have some young talent, but a lot of 30+ win now guys like Dozier and Eaton and Yan Gomes and Kendrick.

Big decisions to be made

Whatever happened today though is the exception and not the rule. You're not going to run into totally incapable pens every night and guys that got big hits today are not going to do so in the future. The Mets have got to start getting guys back in the lineup and these guys have to start hitting.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, '7' said:

Whatever happened today though is the exception and not the rule. You're not going to run into totally incapable pens every night and guys that got big hits today are not going to do so in the future. The Mets have got to start getting guys back in the lineup and these guys have to start hitting.

Yeah I’m definitely not feeling like things have turned around...that sweep at the hands of the Marlins is still too fresh in my mind.  And no lineup like yesterday’s is going to lead to much in the way of consistent wins.  Finishing off the Nats today would be nice, but it’s not like I’ll suddenly buy into BVW’s sales pitch that all really is well.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, '7' said:

You have to wonder if the Nats brass starts thinking about tearing this thing apart soon. They're already 10 under and 9 out and sagging badly. Mets can make it 11 under by tomorrow afternoon and I think they will. With the pen in historic shambles. Harper gone. 7-16 in their last 23.

They have some young talent, but a lot of 30+ win now guys like Dozier and Eaton and Yan Gomes and Kendrick.

Big decisions to be made

Agree, I think they’ve reached that point...but with three very good starting pitchers, they may try to Band-Aid instead. I don’t know what series of quick-fix moves they can possibly make to right this thing though.  It really does feel like they need to tear down and start fresh.

BTW they’re 11 under NOW...they’re 19-30.

5 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I’m definitely not feeling like things have turned around...that sweep at the hands of the Marlins is still too fresh in my mind.  And no lineup like yesterday’s is going to lead to much in the way of consistent wins.  Finishing off the Nats today would be nice, but it’s not like I’ll suddenly buy into BVW’s sales pitch that all really is well.  

And now BOTH Cano and McNeil on the IL, oh joy.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

And now BOTH Cano and McNeil on the IL, oh joy.

Sadly in Cano's case I think him being away from the team might not be such a bad thing...I think he's pure cancer...and even worse, quite possibly not capable of overcoming his sh!ttier qualities with talent and ability any longer. 

McNeil is an absolute killer, no questions asked. 

Matz has been living on the edge all day. But has found ways to get out of it so far (with a bit of luck, plenty of hard hit balls). Mets however look pretty lifeless on offense and Strasburg has a very manageable pitch count

Just now, '7' said:

Matz has been living on the edge all day. But has found ways to get out of it so far (with a bit of luck, plenty of hard hit balls). Mets however look pretty lifeless on offense and Strasburg has a very manageable pitch count

If Todd Frazier is your third-place hitter, kinda says it all. 

Mets find a way to manufacture a run at least.  Sac fly by Lagares. 

Posted (edited)

And of course they give it right back.  Hopefully the Mets find their way into the Nats' pen again without it being too late in the game. 

Odd start for Matz...he's allowed 12 baserunners in 6 IP, and has K'd 7...yet has only thrown 88 pitches.  Has the top of the order coming up though...not sure if the Mets take their chances letting those Nats hitters see him again. 

Give em credit, they've scratched out a few today. 

Posted (edited)
Just now, '7' said:

Give em credit, they've scratched out a few today. 

Yeah that's how they're going to have to do it.  Just goes to show what can happen when you PUT THE DAMNED BALL IN PLAY!  But these damned saber-geeks with their "strikeouts don't matter" mentality don't seem to understand that.

Was a tough inning for Strasburg...guessing he might have one more left, unless he gets through it very quickly. 

Posted (edited)

Oh man...Jeurys fvcking Familia's in...I think I'd rather see Doug Risk Sisk than Familia at this point. 

And he works a clean inning!  With Lugo out, obviously have to pray that Familia can somehow figure things out. 

Well that was a shock to the system. Somehow a clean inning by Familia. 

And then Gsellman turns in a great Familia impression.  Figures.  Gsellman definitely has his blow-up games here and there.

This is a bad one. Especially from up 3-1 in the 8th with 2 out and a man on. Gotta at least get this to the 9th with a lead.

This loss can linger a while. Especially coming on the heels of such a great win. Nats seemed dead today

Thank you once again Nats pen...I've never seen a more inept group EVER. 

• Haha 1

They wiped away a lot of the stink of the Marlins series disaster, but still a ways to go. And we need to start getting guys back in the lineup soon. because Carlos Gomez and Rajai Davis are not going to be providing late game heroics against real major league pens. The Mets did a nice job here stabilizing things, but it can turn ugly again real soon

14 minutes ago, '7' said:

They wiped away a lot of the stink of the Marlins series disaster, but still a ways to go. And we need to start getting guys back in the lineup soon. because Carlos Gomez and Rajai Davis are not going to be providing late game heroics against real major league pens. The Mets did a nice job here stabilizing things, but it can turn ugly again real soon

Oh this was most definitely a blip.  That Nats BP just bleeds runs, and profusely at that.  That group is just killing the rest of that team, and this series said far more about THEM than it ever did about the Mets. 

And yeah, the Mets winning with their current fill-ins is not at all sustainable.  They could easily be right back to 5+ games under .500 very quickly.  But yeah, guess for now might as well enjoy the moment, and hope against hope that Brodie's Toadies can somehow buck every last possible odd and find a way to keep this going a little longer. 

Can't disagree, they need to keep rolling against the Tigers this weekend then the WC trip will be the real acid test.  Hopefully SOME of the wounded like Conforto will be back by then, supposedly McNeil thinks he'll only need the minimum stay on the DL but we know how best case scenarios usually go with the Mets and even a best case would still take through next weekend.

Posted (edited)

Obviously Alonso's massive dingers (and the fact that it sure seems like he always hits them when it counts) have been fun to watch, but his numbers have been pretty rough for a while now otherwise.

His last 27 GP (24 starts):  .188 BA, .259 OB% (3 HPB have helped that number), 7 BB, 33 K, 8 HR (and 16 RBI), but only 18 total hits. 

It's even worse lately...his last 13 GP (12 starts):  .143 BA, .245 OB%, 3 BB, 14 K, 5 HR (all solo shots). 

He's about as all-or-nothing as it gets right now...he's in an unfortunate spot because you never want to ask too much from a rookie, but if he keeps hitting around .200, we're going to start noticing it a lot more soon...especially if the HRs stop coming.  Unfortunately the Mets are in a position where they absolutely NEED him to hit.

Good news is that his BABIP is only .175 for the 27 GP stretch...there could be some bad luck involved, but the Ks are worrisome. 

Mets signed Ervin Santana to a minor league deal.

Santana really looks finished. Bad last year. Bad so far this year. 36 years old. Was cruising along just fine through 2017 until the bottom dropped out.

Maybe they plan on converting him to relief?