'7'

2019 New York Mets Season Thread

Posted (edited)

Oh boy, MLB Network floating a rumor that Stroman's coming to the Mets.  Hold onto your seat belts.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Now official according to Heyman, like Dano would say...oh boy.  I didn't think we had enough in the farm system to get him without first trading Thor.  Gotta be Anthony Kay going in this deal (among others) if it's a prospect trade, probably one of our SS prospects too.

This is the most confusing trade ever. 

I have no idea how to even begin to rationalize it. His deal expires after next season. Why pay a deadline price for him? If you needed pitching why trade Thor at his lowest possible value?

what the fvck is happening

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

This is the most confusing trade ever. 

I have no idea how to even begin to rationalize it. His deal expires after next season. Why pay a deadline price for him? If you needed pitching why trade Thor at his lowest possible value?

what the fvck is happening

They probably still think Thor's at his highest value given that he's healthy and the control he has left (2.5 seasons) a la the Archer deal last year.  That MUST be your template if you trade Thor now.

As for Stroman he's a local kid and they probably feel they can sign him long-term.  I should be excited about this deal but because it's Brodie I'm dreading what we gave up.  If it's something stupid like Conforto AND prospects I give up.  As it is Kay, Gimenez/Mauricio and Dom Smith would probably roll my eyes but not be the worst-case I fear.  That's pretty much all we have to give up apart from using Baty or Allan as a PTBNL - but I doubt they'd do that.

Funny thing is this afternoon is one of the few times I've ever had the MLBN on during their wraparound show and it just so happens now is when all hell breaks loose.

Edited by NJDevs4978

But with a guy like Stroman; if you wanted him why are you paying the trade deadline tax to get him? Mets were bidding against at the very least Houston, Minnesota and the Yankees for this guy. 

It’s the weirdest trade I think I can ever remember.

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

But with a guy like Stroman; if you wanted him why are you paying the trade deadline tax to get him? Mets were bidding against at the very least Houston, Minnesota and the Yankees for this guy. 

It’s the weirdest trade I think I can ever remember.

Welcome to Brodieworld.

I don’t even know what to say. This is wild.

Posted (edited)

Supposedly it's 'pitching prospects' going to the Blue Jays in the deal...calculated guess is Anthony Kay and an 18-year old kid Simeon Woods-Richardson who has even higher long-term upside.  Gotta clear out ALL the Sandy picks!

Edited by NJDevs4978

Posted (edited)

If it’s only pitching prospects, my “wtf” turns from the Mets to the blue Jays. The Mets don’t have a single top-100 guy. 

Reports are they asked the Yankees for Deivi Garcia (top-50) and Clint Frazier (mlb ready former top-20). After that was rejected, another report came out saying they asked for Gleyber Torres. 2-time all star 21 year old Gleyber Torres.

hmm.

Edited by MB3

Posted (edited)

Well in addition to the trade deadline tax the Yankees would have also had to pay a division rival tax on top of it.  It wouldn't shock me at all if the Blue Jays gave the Yankees an unrealistically astronomical price ESPECIALLY with the fear he'd re-sign there.

But yeah as much as I wouldn't want the Mets to give up Woods-Richardson (NYFS is already freaking out about the rumor his name is in the deal) I would actually have been surprised the Blue Jays would take him and Kay as the main headliners unless they really are pathologically trying to pick the team he signs with.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Kay is reportedly not in the deal. 

And I guess there’s some intra-division tax, but the jays just traded Sogard to the Rays and last year traded Happ to the yanks. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Kay is reportedly not in the deal. 

And I guess there’s some intra-division tax, but the jays just traded Sogard to the Rays and last year traded Happ to the yanks. 

Those guys were straight rentals although Happ did wind up re-signing with the Yankees.  Still, it's a little different dealing them and dealing a guy you might have to look at six series a year for the next 7-8 years.

I'd really be shocked if it was SWR and lower-level guys in the deal...I might actually have to give Brodie credit but I'm waiting for the poison pill somehow involved, or for Stroman to say his dream was to pitch for the Yankees after he signs with them as a FA.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Stroman’s been outspoken about the fact that it’s his dream to pitch for the Yankees. He grew up going to games in the Bronx. Idolized El Duque. Comes on R2C2, a Yankee podcast, very frequently. 

Just now, MB3 said:

Stroman’s been outspoken about the fact that it’s his dream to pitch for the Yankees. He grew up going to games in the Bronx. Idolized El Duque. Comes on R2C2, a Yankee podcast, very frequently. 

Well that's just peachy.  Of course you never know what happens in FA, Beltran wanted to play for the Yankees too.  Then again they stupidly didn't want him but Cashman would be all over Stroman if he ever got to FA.

And apparently Kay IS in the deal too :P

That is an incredibly light package for Stroman. 

Fantastic deal for the Mets.

Posted (edited)

Even I as a Brodie cynic don't hate this deal though you just know somehow SWR will be the new Kelenic next year that we have to hear about skyrocketing up the prospect lists.  I just find it comical how quickly Brodie burned the Sandy system to the ground (sans Alonso and McNeil, who he almost did trade over Kelenic).

Now we'll just have to sweat out Stroman re-signing and WTF else Brodie does at the deadline.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Olney makes a good point. A ton of Stroman’s success is the fact that he’s a groundball machine. The Mets infield defense is... 

well it’s not good

3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Olney makes a good point. A ton of Stroman’s success is the fact that he’s a groundball machine. The Mets infield defense is... 

well it’s not good

I saw that too but what exactly is the Blue Jays' infield defense?  Smoak, Galvis and the two kids aren't exactly Olerud, Ventura, Ordonez and Alfonzo circa 1999.

With the reports that wheeler, Syndergaard and Diaz are all being shopped I am just so confused. 

“Are you buyers or sellers?”

”yup”

42 minutes ago, MB3 said:

With the reports that wheeler, Syndergaard and Diaz are all being shopped I am just so confused. 

“Are you buyers or sellers?”

”yup”

It seems like the idea is for them to be the only seller.

Morosi reporting that the Padres are hesitant to include Gore in trade talks with the Mets, because the Mets didn’t include any top-100 prospects in a trade for Stroman.

how ironic would it be that the Mets set the market too low for a trade? All of my Mets fan friends now don’t want to trade Noah. A starting rotation of degrom, stroman, Noah, Vargas, wheeler/prospect/FA would be the best in baseball next year. 

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Morosi reporting that the Padres are hesitant to include Gore in trade talks with the Mets, because the Mets didn’t include any top-100 prospects in a trade for Stroman.

how ironic would it be that the Mets set the market too low for a trade? All of my Mets fan friends now don’t want to trade Noah. A starting rotation of degrom, stroman, Noah, Vargas, wheeler/prospect/FA would be the best in baseball next year. 

lol...that's probably major-league posturing though, especially since there's a whole year difference in team control between Thor and Stroman.

As far as the latter, I'm not expecting Thor to be here past Thursday.  If he is then Brodie really is being pie in the sky about wanting a 'major league-ready contributor' for him (Frazier, Kyle Tucker, etc) plus other stuff.  Or maybe this is just some bizarro attempt at motivating him, all these trade rumors.

In a world where we do have both Thor and Stroman next week yeah it's absolutely an option the Mets go into next season with deGrom-Stroman-Thor-Matz and Vargas as their five (Vargas has a option they might actually pick up for $6 million at this point).

Hard to give BVW the benefit of the doubt here.  Feels like there’s absolutely no plan. Like MB3 alluded to, are the Mets buyers?  Sellers?  The Mets’ rotation minus deGrom is clearly overrated, but that was hardly the most pressing need for this team.  And yeah, BVW can’t seem to toss prospects into deals fast enough.  Whole thing is just bizarre.  

Brodieworld indeed.

CR, I think if you look at this trade in a vacuum it's tremendous value. Look at Stroman's stats and then realize he's been doing that in the same division as the Yankees and Red Sox, playing in fvcking Rodgers Center, Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium and Camden Yards for half of his starts in his career. 

He's an impressive #2 on a contending team. For the Mets, you're now as of 07/29/2019 looking at the most talented rotation in baseball. More talented than Houston, more talented than Cleveland, more talented than Washington.

If I'm a mets fan I'm hoping Diaz and Thor aren't dealt. 5.5 GB in the Wildcard isn't impossible, and absolutely nobody wants to face deGrom in a WC game or the mets rotation in a playoff series.