Jump to content
'7'

2019 New York Mets Season Thread

Recommended Posts

So I guess the money we’re saving not going after Harper or Machado we’re using on hiring all these special assistants.

And yeah this does smack of a PR move, not because of her gender but because they’ve been doing these attention grabbing hires all week now. I do think part of it is Brodie being sincere in knowing he doesn’t know everything and wanting to hear from a variety of sources. It’s the Wilpons motives I’d be more suspect of, especially with Leiter and Franco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

So I guess the money we’re saving not going after Harper or Machado we’re using on hiring all these special assistants.

And yeah this does smack of a PR move, not because of her gender but because they’ve been doing these attention grabbing hires all week now. I do think part of it is Brodie being sincere in knowing he doesn’t know everything and wanting to hear from a variety of sources. It’s the Wilpons motives I’d be more suspect of, especially with Leiter and Franco.

I'm definitely not sexist, but it does feel like a "Look at us, we're soooooooo different and hip and ahead of the curve, we hired a girl!" kind of move, unfortunately.  The good news for Mendoza (similar to BVW), is that sometimes it's a complete kook outfit like the Mets that allow you to get your foot in the door.  They could both fail, but at least they're getting a chance to prove themselves.  They probably don't get their opportunity anywhere else. 

 

And maybe I'm too hard on BVW, but man he really seems like the kind of guy who takes a dump, takes a nice long gander at it, then marvels at how awesome his creation was for the next several hours.  More and more he strikes me as being WAAAAAAY too impressed with himself.  There's confidence, and then there's just constantly coming off as annoying.  Congrats Brodie, you've built a flawed win-now team that will probably need a hell of a lot of breaks to reach the postseason in 2019 or 2020...and the way this team is constructed, this could fall apart very quickly beyond.  Just think the guy could shut up for a while and wait to see if his team actually in the hunt through 100 games or so. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't decide whether I want to hate Harper or love the snark

Truth disguised in a semi-diss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Harper is going to get busted for tampering...basically said in a radio interview how much he'd love to help woo Mike Trout over to the Phillies when Trout becomes a FA after the 2020 season.  Apparently the Angels are well aware of that, and weren't at all pleased...they've already complained to MLB about it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What are they gonna do, fine him?  I've never seen such blatant tampering in baseball so I don't know how Manfred and company will react to it :lol:

Come to think of it Aaron Judge made overt comments (might have been on Instagram, not sure) about wanting Manny in pinstripes last season and nothing came of that so I doubt MLB does anything but make Harper write I will not tamper 100 times on the blackboard, if that.  At least Judge didn't double down like Harper did today though, so they might HAVE to do something :P

Edited by NJDevs4978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the 50th anniversary of the 1969 WS celebration this year is a little more bittersweet now

It seems as if now because people are living longer you hear about more and more of these advanced age diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia.  Seaver's still in his mid 70's and fortunately seems to have had a full life but like with so many people the enjoyment in the later years is unfortunately cut short.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well the 50th anniversary of the 1969 WS celebration this year is a little more bittersweet now

It seems as if now because people are living longer you hear about more and more of these advanced age diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia.  Seaver's still in his mid 70's and fortunately seems to have had a full life but like with so many people the enjoyment in the later years is unfortunately cut short.  

My grandfather had dementia...pretty scary stuff.  One time he was wandering around Union City (in the middle of the night) in his pajamas.  Fortunately the police saw him and immediately knew something was up.  He was in a home shortly after...he had good days and bad, though of course the bad ones became more common as the disease progressed. Was tough to watch, especially since he was quite brilliant and active for much of his life.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sad to see with Seaver. And he was always so sharp and on top of things too. I do recall a few years back it was reported he had lyme disease, I wonder if there is some sort of correlation? If lyme in older folks can trigger the earlier onset of dementia? Tough to see this happen to him in when he's only in his early/mid 70's. I do hope we get that statue build for him. Very odd that there isn't one yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, '7' said:

Very sad to see with Seaver. And he was always so sharp and on top of things too. I do recall a few years back it was reported he had lyme disease, I wonder if there is some sort of correlation? If lyme in older folks can trigger the earlier onset of dementia? Tough to see this happen to him in when he's only in his early/mid 70's. I do hope we get that statue build for him. Very odd that there isn't one yet.

His Lyme definitely played a role...sounds like it wasn't diagnosed until it had really started to take a toll:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/madden-tom-nearing-terrific-day-mets-legend-winning-battle-lyme-disease-article-1.1289293#commentpostform

Re:  the bolded, look who owns the team.  It's not odd at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...no more non-waiver July 31 and waiver August 31 deadlines anymore.  July 31 non-waiver deadline is now a true "hard" deadline...the waiver August trading window has been squashed.  Can't say that I was really for or against the now "old" system, really...it was nice to have the opportunity to further tweak your team if you get a rash of injuries, or should you collapse and fall out of contention, decide to go from a buyer in July to a seller in August.  Kinda made things interesting in a way you don't see from other leagues.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-mlb-union-agree-to-end-august-trades/ar-BBUJ1vX?li=BBnba9I&ocid=iehp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the best thing is it prevents the stupid waiver blocking (and removes the need for an unwritten rule not to block players). Other than Verlander I can’t think of too many August trades that have made a big difference tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pretty radical changes coming to MLB...guess the days of the "Come in to get one lefty hitter out" specialist are very numbered:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-to-implement-new-rule-changes-that-will-shake-up-look-of-sport/ar-BBULp6H?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

And it looks like the whole practice of Wilponing clearly-ready-to-play-right-now kids in the minors to manipulate service time is definitely going to be examined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Some pretty radical changes coming to MLB...guess the days of the "Come in to get one lefty hitter out" specialist are very numbered:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mlb-to-implement-new-rule-changes-that-will-shake-up-look-of-sport/ar-BBULp6H?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

And it looks like the whole practice of Wilponing clearly-ready-to-play-right-now kids in the minors to manipulate service time is definitely going to be examined. 

I don't like that. I mean it eliminates a job. Also it sort of dumbs down baseball a bit. Gets rid of a tactic/strategy that when used properly can be a pretty effective way to neutralize a threat. All in the name of saving a minute here and there.

Re-examining service time stashing I'm definitely for

Edited by '7'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, '7' said:

I don't like that. I mean it eliminates a job. Also it sort of dumbs down baseball a bit. Gets rid of a tactic/strategy that when used properly can be a pretty effective way to neutralize a threat. All in the name of saving a minute here and there.

Re-examining service time stashing I'm definitely for

Yeah, I think you really gotta watch when it comes to sacrificing strategy of the game for moving things along.  The lefty specialist has been a part of baseball for quite some time now...was anyone really identifying that as a hindrance to the game?  And yeah, some guys are really good at that one particular thing...so let them continue to be.  Not the end of the world. 

Making hitters stay in the batter's box would be a nice step forward.  Wright with the stepping out and re-adjusting the gloves AFTER EVERY PITCH was beyond maddening...and he sure as well wasn't alone on that front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of the overspecializtion of pitching either, but yeah the three batter minimum is just as lame as potentially banning the shift.  What's next, all starters need to go more than an inning to counter the 'opener' strategy?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, I think you really gotta watch when it comes to sacrificing strategy of the game for moving things along.  The lefty specialist has been a part of baseball for quite some time now...was anyone really identifying that as a hindrance to the game?  And yeah, some guys are really good at that one particular thing...so let them continue to be.  Not the end of the world. 

Making hitters stay in the batter's box would be a nice step forward.  Wright with the stepping out and re-adjusting the gloves AFTER EVERY PITCH was beyond maddening...and he sure as well wasn't alone on that front. 

Wasn't it Nomar Garciapparra who did the same thing? Only I think his habit (tic) was even more elaborate? But overall I can still live with it because for the smart players, the smart teams...there is a method to the madness. I remember how slow Lou Piniella and Joe Torre would walk out to the mound to give their reliever more time. After a quick first two outs on a hot day you have a batter who tries to slow things down, take his time getting to the plate, stepping out etc just to give his pitcher a longer break between innings. The little things a batter would do to break up a pitchers rhythm. 

 

Edited by '7'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matz gets shelled today and gives up 4 dingers against the Nationals.  He’s now allowed 6 HR in 10.2 spring innings.  A tad concerning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah who would have thought the lefty that looks more solid would be Vargas lol.  Of course you hear that line now...he did great down the stretch, carrying it over into Spring Training, we can count on him!  Guess we'll see when the bell rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Matz has become the guy I just don’t expect much from anymore...part of it is because he seems like he’s Charmin soft...even Niese showed more fight than Matz often does.  You’d thinking watching a guy like deGrom might rub off just a little, but I guess not...

Speaking of Jake, doesn’t look an extension will get done...I gotta be fair, I can’t really destroy the Mets too much on this one, though of course I don’t really think BVW & Co were ever terribly serious about trying to make it happen this year in the first place...there’s no reason to lie to the fanbase about that.  I feel for Jake because he’s in such an odd spot, with his age...of course his party was trying to create leverage, but in the end, it’s just not there yet.  And with this organization’s luck with pitchers, can anyone blame them for being a little squirrelly here?  Sadly I still think the better move might be to lock up Wheeler and Syndergaard...but who am I kidding...whatever the Mets do here probably won’t work out.  Just because.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trout 12 years $430million

And that's what the Angels think of Harpers recruitment efforts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing when a team that actually realizes that it's a big market team steps up like that...but goddamn that is so much friggin' coin.  Imagine if Trout ever starts to decline on the early side...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like Dano would say...oh boy

Like CR (or nmig?) would say....pitchers. After the middle of 2017 the Ces-Fulmer swap really hasn’t benefited anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Like Dano would say...oh boy

Like CR (or nmig?) would say....pitchers. After the middle of 2017 the Ces-Fulmer swap really hasn’t benefited anyone.

 

Yea. I mean they're all time bombs. Still we've won this trade as Sandy backed into Cespedes (wanting Gomez initially). We did ride him to a World Series and a 2016 playoff. Who knows what Fulmer will be after this thing is over with. Will he be a post TJS Harvey? Or back to what he was 16/17.

 

Edited by '7'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet all of these "by the nonexistent book" morons will all tell you that it makes sense to keep babying these pitchers to the tunes of innings limits and not a lot of minor league innings pitched...and none of that has ACCOMPLISHED A THING.  Guys get hurt now more than ever.  It wasn't that long ago that some starters were throwing 300+ IP and completing games and left and right. 

The fact that the Mets are stuck with a guy who clearly put on a front to get paid (by acting like he was genuinely interested in playing baseball) is at least offset by the fact that Fulmer didn't turn into the arm that got away.  And to allude to what Has just said, though he's right that since the middle of 2017 it hasn't worked out either way, I think overall the Mets have won the deal to date because they never reach the 2015 WS without Ces' contributions. 

One thing I'll say in Fulmer's favor is that we've seen some guys come back from TJS even better than before.  But no way to know what he might be down the line until 2020 at the earliest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.