2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

Because we're conditioned to accept less than hoped for.  That's how the Wilpons roll. 

BVW doubling down on both Syndergaard and Diaz:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-gm-says-team-wont-trade-noah-syndergaard-edwin-diaz/ar-AAIfgkt?ocid=iehp

Diaz better be prepared to hear a lot of boos to start next season.  He'll have to earn his way out of them. 

21 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

BVW doubling down on both Syndergaard and Diaz:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/mets-gm-says-team-wont-trade-noah-syndergaard-edwin-diaz/ar-AAIfgkt?ocid=iehp

Diaz better be prepared to hear a lot of boos to start next season.  He'll have to earn his way out of them. 

I don't put a ton of stock in those words, though yea I do think both will be here...I wonder if he's trying to send out a message that these two are important to the franchise going forward to entice better offers? I wonder if recent leaks regarding the Mets interest in trading Syndergaard have led to lowball first offers.

16 minutes ago, '7' said:

I don't put a ton of stock in those words, though yea I do think both will be here...I wonder if he's trying to send out a message that these two are important to the franchise going forward to entice better offers? I wonder if recent leaks regarding the Mets interest in trading Syndergaard have led to lowball first offers.

I think Syndergaard stays because BVW is going to let Zack walk, and I think Diaz stays because BVW is going to triple down on that deal to try to prove he wasn't as idiotic as he appeared to be when he made it. 

re:  Noah, it's kind of funny...he's become so over-the-top with how much he claims to love NY that it's almost bordering on sarcasm. 

• Like 1

fwiw I am sick of looking at the Minnesota Twins in the playoffs not even be competitive. Mostly against the Yankees but even the choker A's beat them in 2006. They've lost 14 straight playoff games and it looks like it's going to be 15 now. 

• Like 1

Yeah really is mindblowing how that team just completely disappears.  Again and again and again. 

Just now, '7' said:

Don't want anything to do with Beltran as a manager. Don't want another 1st time manager who doesn't have the temperament for the city, managing a team he never wanted to play for to begin with

Same here.  I don't want Mr. Softee managing the team.  We've been over it...I know sabermetrics are incredibly kind to Beltran (and hell, his quick-glance numbers here were very good too, especially for a CF), but there was always something missing here with him...something always felt off.  I have my issues with Wright, but at least in spite of everything, Wright bled blue and orange.  Beltran really should've just stayed in Houston. 

FWIW

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/report-red-sox-to-look-at-mets-vp-allard-baird-for-president-role/311078098

Name is familiar...but I know almost nothing about him and had no clue he was even here

Curious if he jumps back up north for Boston...what does that say about his opinion on BVW's "vision" for the Mets as of now?

Baird told SNY in December that Van Wagenen's vision for the future of the Mets convinced him to leave Boston for Queens.

"He's creative, he's aggressive, wherever we're at as an organization, he wants to be further along," Baird said. 

"It really came down to his leadership and vision, and I'm sold on it," Baird added. "That's the reason I'm here and I'm excited about it."

4 hours ago, '7' said:

FWIW

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/report-red-sox-to-look-at-mets-vp-allard-baird-for-president-role/311078098

Name is familiar...but I know almost nothing about him and had no clue he was even here

Curious if he jumps back up north for Boston...what does that say about his opinion on BVW's "vision" for the Mets as of now?

Well in fairness, it's a chance for a promotion...from VP to president.  Not sure it's related fully to Baird having doubts about BVW. 

Personally, any job that doesn't have me working for the Wilpons, I'd have to consider.

And for some good news, Joe Girardi did "plead the fifth" tongue in cheek a few days ago regarding interviewing for the Mets job. Reading the tea leaves here...

After “pleading the fifth” regarding the New York Mets’ coaching vacancy during Game 2 of the ALDS on FS1 on Saturday, potential managerial candidate Joe Girardi continues to feed the rumor mill.

As noted by Tim Healey of Newsday, Girardi, 54, confirmed to WFAN on Tuesday that he’d be in New York next week to cover the ALCS and that “he expects to interview for multiple managerial openings.” Take that as you may.

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2019/10/joe-girardi-alludes-to-possible-mets-interview-next-week.html/

The tea leaves:

Mets will flirt with Girardi.

He'll be too expensive for them.

They'll cheap out and go with Beltran.

The odd thing with Beltran is he was probably popular enough as a Met with a big enough name to have credibility as an inexperienced manager hire but not popular enough where they could never fire him (a la someone like Keith, or Wright). While I’d clearly want Girardi or another experienced manager, you can make a case for Beltran compared to the other inexperienced and cheap managers they will likely hire. There is something to say about a guy who’s made tens of millions of dollars wanting to be a manager.

Edited by NJDevs4978

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The odd thing with Beltran is he was probably popular enough as a Met with a big enough name to have credibility as an inexperienced manager hire but not popular enough where they could never fire him (a la someone like Keith, or Wright). While I’d clearly want Girardi or another experienced manager, you can make a case for Beltran compared to the other inexperienced and cheap managers they will likely hire. There is something to say about a guy who’s made tens of millions of dollars wanting to be a manager.

I've seen a lot of Beltran though and I don't know if he can make it with the media in this city. I want somebody with the managerial temperament to handle this. Beltran I've always seen as a bit distant and flaky. A first time gig here could be disastrous. He really belongs in a more laid back media market

Edited by '7'

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Beltran's kind of polarizing.  I'd say he's probably most popular with sabermetricans, because sabes are definitely VERY kind to Beltran, and hardcore sabes guys take those numbers as gospel.

With everyone else, it's more mixed.  '7' summed it up pretty well...he was always aloof, out of reach...like I said, something was missing with him...it felt like he was never fully here, fully a Met somehow.  As critical as I can be of Wright, that was never the case with him. 

I think some would embrace Beltran and some definitely would not. 

43 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Beltran's kind of polarizing.  I'd say he's probably most popular with sabermetricans, because sabes are definitely VERY kind to Beltran, and hardcore sabes guys take those numbers as gospel.

With everyone else, it's more mixed.  '7' summed it up pretty well...he was always aloof, out of reach...like I said, something was missing with him...it felt like he was never fully here, fully a Met somehow.  As critical as I can be of Wright, that was never the case with him. 

I think some would embrace Beltran and some definitely would not. 

He wasn't fully here. I think he was fine signing with the Mets but he definitely always wanted to be a Yankee and wanted to sign there. That's why I'm sort of suspicious/cautious about him now. 

Plus there is always that chance somebody is a total disaster once he's in that dugout. I never though Callaway could possibly be this bad...but we had no track record anywhere with him so there was always that possibility. And it turns out he was unfathomably bad. Same with Willie Randolph...he wasn't the worst I've seen but it was a red flag that it took so long for him to become a manager. He wasn't very good, and his inability to even execute a simple double switch early in his tenure was cringeworthy, and showed he was not ready for prime time in New York. Willie has not managed anywhere since his 08 firing. Callaway will never manage again either. 

Edited by '7'

I think Mickey might actually get another crack at it somewhere, he's a good company man, his defenders can point to a winning record and just two seasons here and he still wouldn't cost a lot of money.  It won't be a plum job or in any kind of big market obviously (especially after that stupid fight with the media in Chicago involving him and Vargas), more in the vein of a Pittsburgh or KC-type job.

Yeah Beltran's personality would concern me dealing with the media, he barely said five words in public during his career, now he's gonna deal with the media twice a day every day?  I don't want to compare him to Todd Bowles, but people swore by Bowles' 'in private' personality and the guy was just a bump on the log publicly, you need to be a little more animated here cosmetic or not.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If the Mets ever DID hire Beltran, something else to consider is that many fans' first reaction will be "Typical Wilpons...wouldn't pony up for Girardi, so of course they go cheap and bring in Beltran.  And yet another rookie manager?  Are they really going to do this AGAIN?!  Oh of course they are...they're the Mets!"

Basically, you will have a lot of fans who will be down on Beltran because he's not Girardi.  Imagine if the Mets start 15-20 or thereabout, and Beltran makes a couple of noticeably bad mistakes...he will get SHREDDED.

And yeah, maybe you can get away with general radio silence as a player (even in NY), but never as a coach or manager.  This just seems like a horrible fit.

Interesting though how the Mets fan really wants Girardi...but never wanted Randolph. Randolph I believe we saw as a true Yankee through and through and tried to establish a Yankee style here. Girardi on the other hand...sure unlike Randolph we've seen him and think he's a good manager, but I think Mets fans feel Girardi was wronged by the Yankees and would stick it to them as a Met. I felt bad for him and didn't think his dismissal was just...but the Yankees are definitely not regretting it.

Edited by '7'

35 minutes ago, '7' said:

Don't know what to say about Clayton Kershaw anymore. In the playoffs he's not the same pitcher. And that was a choke for the ages. 

Yeah we ***** about Wright, Conforto, etc...but man oh man, it's just unfathomable how star-crossed Kershaw is.  It's like Dusty Baker as a manager a bit, although he wasn't an all time great in the regular season a la Kershaw he might have been a HOF'er himself if you only took regular seasons into account.

Edited by NJDevs4978

And there it is, Howie Kendrick just slams the Dodgers out of the playoffs in all likelihood - although you can never say never with the Nats' pen and Scherzer admittedly on fumes.

Watch it now be Rays-Cardinals-Nats all lined up for the Yankee invitational.  Although the Nats do have this weird reverse vibe of normal...imagine the troll it would be if they finally won it all post-Harper.

Astros-Yankees should be a good series. And it's exactly what it should be in the AL. Really a toss up in my mind but I sense the Yankees will win

Interesting tidbit on Girardi

"I’ve always liked him, and hated the reason he got fired in New York. Listening to him do [the Rays-Astros series on FOX], he’s got ‘smartest guy in the room’ syndrome. He never lets his color partner [A.J. Pierzynski or Jim Kaat] have the last word. Always has to go over the top of them, often with something not very enlightening.

"When he called for the [Willy] Adames stolen base and A.J. said he wouldn’t send him, and Adames got thrown out by ten feet, he wouldn’t let it go. Can’t admit when he’s wrong. A ‘smartest guy in the room’ manager is miserable for players and coaches. You feel like you’re always being talked down to. 

“That got [Jeff] Bannister, [Clint] Hurdle and [Andy] Green. They all talk the same. They lose the clubhouse and maybe some coaches being that way.”

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/10/mlb-rumors-ex-yankee-explains-why-mets-should-have-reservations-about-joe-girardi.html