2019 New York Mets Season Thread

'7'

11 minutes ago, '7' said:

Major League Baseball in general I'm sure was looking down the road...Fred's age. Jeff's reputation. Around baseball Jeff Wilpon is an enormous laughing stock, hugely incompetent, and just universally reviled. The day was approaching sooner than later that he was going to be the unquestionable head honcho here. They just couldn't let that happen. Nobody in that MLB owners inner circle wanted to deal with Jeff Wilpon, and they knew they couldn't leave a NY franchise in his care indefinitely. It's just outright bad for business

You think that MLB somehow brokered some of this behind the scenes?  It's not crazy I guess...they kind of worked to make Sandy Alderson happen, IIRC.  But it's not like you'll ever completely eliminate bad or incompetent owners out of any sport...as we know, they exist in NY outside of the Mets.  They'll always be some cringe-inducing owners in every league. 

I agree that I think your impression of Jeffy in most circles is exactly as you described.  I don't think there's a soul in MLB who gives him he slightest ounce of respect...I think when he made sure that EVERYONE knew that he was involved in the deGrom negotiations and eventual signing, it reeked of a desperate Fredo-esque "I can handle things. I’m smart. Not like everybody says, like dumb. I’m smart and I want respect!" 

Only there wasn't a soul whose needle moved as a result...that made him even MORE of a joke.  Man, for MLB to basically to get involved even a little to get Jeffy outta here in time...if that happened, wow...they REALLY think Jeffy's a worthless POS.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

LMAO '7' called this one a while back...even those within the Mets' organization wanted no part of Jeffy ever sitting at the big boy table and taking over for his father:

Multiple sources indicated a rift between Katz — who is Fred Wilpon’s brother-in-law — and Jeff Wilpon left the family uncomfortable with the idea of the younger Wilpon assuming control of the club once Fred Wilpon is no longer involved.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/wilpons-taking-steps-towards-selling-mets-to-steve-cohen/

This is your legacy Jeffy...well done you fvcking buzzkill of a complete zilch.  You can't be gone soon enough pal.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

LMAO '7' called this one a while back...even those within the Mets' organization wanted no part of Jeffy ever sitting at the big boy table and taking over for his father:

Multiple sources indicated a rift between Katz — who is Fred Wilpon’s brother-in-law — and Jeff Wilpon left the family uncomfortable with the idea of the younger Wilpon assuming control of the club once Fred Wilpon is no longer involved.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/04/wilpons-taking-steps-towards-selling-mets-to-steve-cohen/

This is your legacy Jeffy...well done you fvcking buzzkill of a complete zilch.  You can't be gone soon enough pal.

It was a nightmare about to unfold. Plus skeletons that I'm sure have yet to be unearthed. Remember that lawsuit where he insulted a pregnant unwed employee? Jeff Wilpon is/was absolute poison

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

It was a nightmare about to unfold. Plus skeletons that I'm sure have yet to be unearthed. Remember that lawsuit where he insulted a pregnant unwed employee? Jeff Wilpon is/was absolute poison

Yeah I remember that very well.  He truly is a POS.  Doubleday couldn't stand him either. 

I can't see that five-year arrangement lasting much more than a year. 

I do get the feeling that a lot of dirt will come out about Jeffy behind the scenes, in the months to come.  

Maybe 7 wasn't too far off when he opined MLB had something to do with pushing the Wilpons out, at least in a sense.  This Times article details even more details of what we already know about clueless meddling Fred and Jeff.

When the Wilpons first invested in the Mets, baseball was a mostly harmless dalliance for wealthy businessmen. Now it is an $10 billion-a-year business, with huge risks. People familiar with the team’s finances said the Mets have lost more than $60 million during each of the past two seasons, as the team struggled to attract fans, and they are at the limit of debt allowed by Major League Baseball rules.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/sports/mets-wilpons-sale-cohen.html#click=https://t.co/Ks5KZcf0LQ

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah read that article too...man, how could a guy who clearly has NO allies anywhere (not even his father, at least not fully) be allowed to remain COO of a MLB baseball team in the largest market?!  It's incomprehensibly bizarre. 

BTW Cohen might be good for the Mets down the line...but I just realized how screwed we are in the interim.  The Wilpons are obviously reading about how despised they are...yet they still get to run the team for a while.  Does anyone think that they're going to spend much of anything as long as they're still around?  They probably think everyone's just so mean and unappreciative. 

Knowing them, this is one last chance to give everyone (especially the fanbase that they've always had contempt for) one last middle finger...fine, you wanna see cheap?  We'll show you CHEAP! 

Rick Porcello is going to be the big offseason signing of 2019.  Goddammit...

It's not even so much they'd refuse to spend out of spite, it'd just be one last milking of the cash cow by reducing debt before they cash out a la VBK his last year or two with the Devils finally reducing payroll.  Reading that blurb about how they're already maxed out on debt and are losing millions every year though, if that's true I'd think this would get done sooner rather than later contrary to the Wilpons' wishes of an extended grace period for Fred.  It'd just be more financially feasible to do it rather than suck down $50-60 million a year, it'd only take away from their profit in the end.

Edited by NJDevs4978

8 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Welp the Yankees get Cole for insane money.  In other news, water is wet and the Devils lost again.

Contract obviously has disaster potential written on it long term, but the Yankees don't care...they want that World Series right now and they will do everything in their power to get it. 

That being said, if they get the Cole of 2018-19 for the next three or four years, and win the whole damned thing at least once...they won't care if he's getting overpaid to be meh-ish from that point on.  Not like the Yankees ever have to pay for bad contracts the way many other teams do anyway.  Cashman's had plenty of bad signings throughout his time with the Yankees, but the good news for him is that never cripples him...he's allowed to almost act like those signings never happened.

On another note...does BVW (assuming he has any ability to spend at all) try to lock up Noah to something long-term?  He doesn't really have to...Noah still has one more arb year after this one, and I'll admit it, I've soured enough on him that I need to see him pitch a hell of a lot better this season before I'd want to spend a fortune on him...of course, then his price would likely go up...when a guy like friggin' Wheeler is getting well over $20 million a year, all it's going to take is one "put it all together" season from Noah for him to start talking at least $25 million per season long term. 

The good news is the Mets dodged a serious bullet by for once doing the right thing to extend Jake early. Could you imagine if he was a FA to be next offseason? He might have been getting a 6-210 type deal at the rate things are going. At the very least an extension this offseason would have been a lot harder and more costly.

Edited by NJDevs4978

2 hours ago, NJDevs4978 said:

The good news is the Mets dodged a serious bullet by for once doing the right thing to extend Jake early. Could you imagine if he was a FA to be next offseason? He might have been getting a 6-210 type deal at the rate things are going. At the very least an extension this offseason would have been a lot harder and more costly.

I could actually see the "per year" being even more than that.  Might even get a 7th year, despite his age.

It really looks like every dollar the Wilpons spend will have to be a dollar moved off the payroll elsewhere.  Man I can't wait until they're gone. 

And yep, Mets operating like a minuscule market team, because of course.  SP Michael Wacha signed to a one-year $3 million deal.   He who allowed 10.2 H (1.8 HR) and 3.9 BB per 9 IP and couldn't even provide 130 IP.  Who had a 4.76 ERA but whose FIP was 5.61, meaning he had to pitch into tremendous luck just to manage that 4.76 ERA.

Great, this is terrific.  fvcking Wilpons.  Do we really have to endure a possible five more years of this sh!t?!  fvck this franchise.

Oh great, even better.  Coming off an 86-win season where there was actually some real juice around the team, with Alonso winning RoTY and Jake taking home his second straight Cy Young, the Wilpons celebrate by dropping BVW off at the fvcking Dollar Store and handing him a $10 bill.

Or to look at it another way...Mets basically traded Wheeler for Porcello and Wacha.  Not that I'm a huge Wheeler fan (even less so at the money he got), but Jesus H Christ. 

LOL it might get worse if they finally trade Thor for a name CF who can’t play, a bullpen arm and a couple of B prospects. Adding all these back end pieces just smacks of using one of our holdovers in a deal and continuing our game of musical chairs where we rob Peter to pay Paul.

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL it might get worse if they finally trade Thor for a name CF who can’t play, a bullpen arm and a couple of B prospects. Adding all these back end pieces just smacks of using one of our holdovers in a deal and continuing our game of musical chairs where we rob Peter to pay Paul.

Yeah, sounds like this is going to be a quantity-over-quality offseason...bring in lots of cheap declining or meh players and hope that something sticks.  Yep, that's how you build off a pretty good season. 

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

They're signing Porcello in the hopes he'll be the next Colon. The era will never be all that great. Hopefully it won't be 5 bad...but chew up those innings

Re:  Colon, at least he was coming off two surprisingly fine seasons (at age 39 and 40 no less) when the Mets signed him...his combined numbers:

54 Starts, 342.2 IP, 354 H, 114 ER, 31 HR, 52 BB, 208 K, 2.99 ERA (3.49 FIP), 1.185 WHIP

He did outpitch his peripherals those two seasons in Oakland, and that caught up to him a bit with the Mets...but as we know, Colon would give his team a chance to win about 75% of his starts, with the other 25% or so being implosion outings where you'd wonder how he ever gets anyone out. 

I'll be stunned if Porcello can approximate what Colon did as a Met...guy put up a 6.75 ERA in his last 17 starts of 2019.  This has disaster written all over it.

And the hits keep on comin'...Tebow will probably get another year in AAA simply because BVW emptied much of the farm last season, so now there's no OF prospects even close to being able to "dethrone" Tebow for a while:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/tim-tebow-running-out-of-options-to-make-mlb-dream-come-true/ar-AAK49Pw?li=BBnba9I&ocid=iehp

So here comes another season of sub-.500 OPS from a guy who apparently gets to treat Syracuse like his own personal fantasy camp. 

39 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

LOL wasn’t/isn’t Tebow a CAA client? Might be the real reason he’s still getting handouts post-Sandy.

It's just sad that the cupboard is that bare that a complete no-chance zilch like Tebow gets another year to prove what we already know...that he's really no better than a A+/AA player at best, and even then he's not good in those leagues.  But you'll have his disciples acting like he just needs more time and one day he'll get in a few MLB games.  Nothing against Tebow the person really...if the Mets are insisting on keeping this charade going, and he's got the spare time, I can't really put this on HIM. 

Really not looking forward to some of BVW's tossed-aside prospects making it to the big leagues and playing well, while we get to watch the rotting corpse of Robinson Cano.  And Stroman giving up 10+ hits every start.

LOL this stuff with Cespedes is wild...apparently his base salary got reduced by like $20 million with the ability to make back part of it on incentives after a settlement on a grievance.  This tells me he was pretty culpable on his injury (which we all figured anyway) and the Mets had a real chance of getting his deal voided.  Of course I'm looking forward to the savings going straight into the Wilpons' pocket.

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's gotta suck when you sign a guy who basically scammed you into paying him.  At least the Mets seem to realize that the stiff doesn't really want to play, and took him to task for it through legal means.