'7'

2019 New York Mets Season Thread

Can't say I'm surprised. They buckled to the pressure. It was pretty much over as soon as the rumors came out of them wavering. This would've disappeared so quickly...but yea the media and Manfred got what they wanted

Can't say he didn't deserve it. But what a sh!tshow the Mets continue to be. 

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

The Mets had nothing to do with this really. They ended up in a tough situation but there hands are clean regarding any sort of cheating

1 minute ago, '7' said:

The Mets had nothing to do with this really. They ended up in a tough situation but there hands are clean regarding any sort of cheating

Didn't say they cheated in any way. They picked a guy in the middle of the situation to be their manager and he's now gone before managing a single game.  

5 minutes ago, titans04 said:

The gray area is how forthcoming was he with the Mets during the interview process?  If he straight-up lied to them then (assuming it came up), then I can understand why the Mets (even as dysfunctional and tone-deaf as they tend to be) would've fired him.

If this was basically caving into the press, I'm not a fan of that.  Like '7' said, they would've gotten over themselves, probably more quickly than expected.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Hinch, Cora, and now Beltran to get another shot to manage.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The gray area is how forthcoming was he with the Mets during the interview process?  If he straight-up lied to them then, then I can understand why the Mets (even as dysfunctional and tone-deaf as they tend to be) would've fired him.

If this was basically caving into the press, I'm not a fan of that.  Like '7' said, they would've gotten over themselves, probably more quickly than expected.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Hinch, Cora, and now Beltran to get another shot to manage.  

If Beltran truly is considered an up and coming manager type...I'd say he's managing somewhere by 2022. Probably a bench coach first to ease him back in. I don't think this will hinder him as badly as the others

I think he's out of baseball for a couple of seasons, then once back in, will need more time for the stench to start dying down.  I'd say it will be about 5 years before he'll be up for a managerial gig.  And it will take a franchise with something of a renegade streak to give him a shot.  

I’m surprised he willingly resigned, I thought they’d have to fire him and open themselves up to a messy divorce.

15 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Didn't say they cheated in any way. They picked a guy in the middle of the situation to be their manager and he's now gone before managing a single game.  

They picked a guy who they felt was the best candidate, and they deduced (correctly) that whatever his involvement was was not severe enough to come back and haunt them based on what he told them. What exactly changed since then? Well guess we'll find out. But I can't fault them for hiring Beltran when they did. Nothing that has surfaced just yet can justify his abrupt dismissal.

Maybe it will. If he lied to them badly then...what can you do? You want to hire the best possible baseball person and to the Mets, it was Beltran

The Mets claim in their statement he was forthcoming with them. This is probably just an attempt to backscratch each other, he resigns so they don’t have to pay him and in return they give him good public vouches so he can get past it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Just now, NJDevs4978 said:

The Mets claim in their statement he was forthcoming with them. This is probably just an attempt to backscratch each other, he resigns so they don’t have to pay him and in return they give him good public references so he can get past it.

If they're telling the truth, fvck the Mets then.  They fvcking caved when they didn't really have to.  Should've rode out the damn storm.

But yeah, I can see a "Look, you're not getting another penny from us and you're gone, but we'll lie on your behalf about how forthcoming you were if you make this as painless as possible for us" kind of "trade" for sure.  

• Like 1

And another chapter in the Mets/Beltran failed marriage. Honest to god everything associated with him and the Mets...whoevers fault it is...just ends in failure and ugliness. Congrats now add this to the caught looking, the Walter Reed bailout, wanting to sign with the Yankees, the 2007 collapse, his garbage 2005 season, breaking his face after colliding with Mike Cameron. I don't want to see Beltran set foot at Citi Field ever again

And he came this close to ruining Johans no hitter.

Edited by '7'
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, '7' said:

And another chapter in the Mets/Beltran failed marriage. Honest to god everything associated with him and the Mets...whoevers fault it is...just ends in failure and ugliness. Congrats now add this to the caught looking, the Walter Reed bailout, wanting to sign with the Yankees, the 2007 collapse, his garbage 2005 season, breaking his face after colliding with Mike Cameron. I don't want to see Beltran set foot at Citi Field ever again

And he came this close to ruining Johans no hitter.

Well, technically, he DID...umps just blew the call.

Agree, please, no more Beltran, never ever ever.

Guessing it's either Terry Collins for one season, or Eduardo Perez as Beltran's replacement.

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Well, technically, he DID...umps just blew the call.

Agree, please, no more Beltran, never ever ever.

Guessing it's either Terry Collins for one season, or Eduardo Perez as Beltran's replacement.

I'd just go with Eduardo. But according to twitter he's not among the candidates considered

37 minutes ago, '7' said:

I'd just go with Eduardo. But according to twitter he's not among the candidates considered

Is there a fairly "real" list of replacement candidates out there?  Haven't seen one.

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Is there a fairly "real" list of replacement candidates out there?  Haven't seen one.

Mostly just the guys they interviewed and Collins I suppose.  I'd be a little surprised if they went with someone they hadn't previously interviewed, OTOH what manager is going to want to come in here with a staff already in place for next season?  And a couple of the guys who were interviewed already took jobs a la Shelton.

Listening to this presser, man the Mets really came off as wanting to see no evil, hear no evil.   You don't even ask Beltran during the investigation WTF is going on?  It's one thing to not follow up on rumors before you hire him, but the Mets chose to be in the dark for three months and then have all this come crashing down on their head like Sputnik this week.  No wonder he was 'honest', you didn't even give him the opportunity to lie :lol:Then they go and see master Rob to have him tell them what to do. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

LMFAO of course...so first you have various members of the written media chirping about how the Mets can't possibly back Beltran...and now that he's gone, it turns out that they should've stuck behind him:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/opinion-in-typical-mets-fashion-carlos-beltrans-ousting-was-completely-bungled/ar-BBZ1J7m?ocid=spartanntp

Seriously, fvck sportswriters.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Shocking 1

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Mostly just the guys they interviewed and Collins I suppose.  I'd be a little surprised if they went with someone they hadn't previously interviewed, OTOH what manager is going to want to come in here with a staff already in place for next season?  And a couple of the guys who were interviewed already took jobs a la Shelton.

Listening to this presser, man the Mets really came off as wanting to see no evil, hear no evil.   You don't even ask Beltran during the investigation WTF is going on?  It's one thing to not follow up on rumors before you hire him, but the Mets chose to be in the dark for three months and then have all this come crashing down on their head like Sputnik this week.  Then they go and see master Rob to have him tell them what to do. 

Yeah sadly it almost feels like this season is over before it even began...of course that could turn out to be completely wrong, but it's just hard to see the Mets getting the next hire right.  Because the Mets.

I guess it was only a matter of time before the innuendo with the players - who otherwise got off scot free - started coming out now that all the management people have eaten it, the Internet rumors (including from someone proporting to be Beltran's niece) have Altuve wearing a buzzer underneath his jersey and there's audio of him telling people not to take off his jersey after hitting his HR against Chapman in Game 6 this year.

https://www.getmoresports.com/astros-news-possible-picture-jose-altuves-jersey-buzzer/

Let's see them start firing players now too if we're going to just off everyone.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yeah at this point if Beltran was "held accountable" (through Manfred forcing the Mets to effective discipline Beltran for MLB), and other players were doing some seriously egregious sh!t themselves...maybe they need to pay a price too.  

Bear in mind Brodie and AJ Hinch are good friends so...either he's lying or intentionally obtuse :lol:

Not surprise considering Beltran seems to be one of the architects of this whole thing. what I do take from this and what a lot of other people are taken from this, if you want to cheat in the MLB, go ahead they wont bring the hammer down.

7 hours ago, CarterforPresident said:

Not surprise considering Beltran seems to be one of the architects of this whole thing. what I do take from this and what a lot of other people are taken from this, if you want to cheat in the MLB, go ahead they wont bring the hammer down.

*if you're a player protected by the union and arbitrators who care nothing about the sport

The message to managers and GM's is clear though, you all gotta be on top of this **** and come down on people doing it more than being passively agressive like busting a monitor.  Make no mistake, the message isn't so much don't cheat as it is don't institutionalize cheating.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

*if you're a player protected by the union and arbitrators who care nothing about the sport

The message to managers and GM's is clear though, you all gotta be on top of this **** and come down on people doing it more than being passively agressive like busting a monitor.  Make no mistake, the message isn't so much don't cheat as it is don't institutionalize cheating.

Perfect response, though based on how other PLAYERS are reacting in light of the Altuve "Oh man don't tell me he actually did THAT?!" mess, it sounds like they want to see their peers busted too.  And with Altuve specifically, even if MLB claims that it couldn't find any satisfactory evidence to support his alleged use of an electronic buzzer, it sure sounds like he's going to be wearing the scarlet letter, as far as other teams and their players are concerned...quite possibly permanently.

The message has effectively been sent to FRANCHISES too...docked picks, hefty fines.  Not like Hinch and Luhnow were the only ones who had to pay.  

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/01/16/dodgers-cody-bellinger-alex-wood-speak-out-on-astros-cheating-scandal/

And other players have broken the supposed "gag order" to chime in as well.