Beating the Deadest of Horses (Parise)

Derlique

The Athletic's, Michael Russo, just ran a piece detailing how Parise and Suter ended up in Minnesota. Some interesting highlights:

-the part that I found most interesting was that it seems that Parise was never seriously re-signing in NJ. Near the end of the process, he had it narrowed down to Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Chicago. In fact in the article, he never mentioned anything about a desire to stay. Parise said that most important things he looked for was an elite #1C (sorry Zajac, you suck despite centering me to 94 points and was basically an identical player to Mikko Koivu),elite #1D, and good young core. 

-He asked Suter if he was interested in NJ. Suter wanted to stay in the midwest.

- Philly offered Suter 117 million!!

Edited by Derlique

He had his two best seasons with us. I used to be upset by it but I'm not anymore. 

Once he signed the one year deal coming off the knee injury season, I knew he wasn't staying. he signed that deal to show other teams he was healthy so he could get a huge contract elsewhere. 

• Like 1

Still salty about that whole situation. Parise and Lou both screwed us bigtime. Hopefully Shero doesn’t do the same thing with Hall and trades him before letting him walk for nothing (I still think Hall will re-sign but if he says he wants to wait till he’s a UFA to decide then trade him immediately). Parise never should’ve gotten a 1 year deal from restricted free agency that took him directly to unrestricted free agency. I’ll never let that go.

Awesome. This horse hasn’t been beaten to death enough over the last seven years, let’s kill that bitch with fire. Looking forward to five pages of SD arguing with everyone and their brother about Lou too, great stuff. 🙄

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Although I wanted Zach to stay, deep down I sort of knew he wouldn't be sticking around. Let's hope Shero handles the situation better. I remember scratching my head big time when he signes a 1 year deal after his RFA contract was up. I just knew something wasn't right. I used to love him as a player, can't say I miss him that much though. 

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Awesome. This horse hasn’t been beaten to death enough over the last seven years, let’s kill that bitch with fire. Looking forward to five pages of SD arguing with everyone and their brother about Lou too, great stuff. 🙄

Yeah I've got nothing left to say about that whole thing.  I don't think too many individual takes have changed much over the years.  Is kind of hard to believe that it's coming up on seven years ago since he left.  Time really flies. 

• Like 1

I remember being absolutely devastated when he left.

LL blew it.  Nothing new there.  I feel like everyone knew after he got that 1-year deal in arbitration that his future in NJ was anything but certain.

Crazy how Philly whiffed on Weber and Suter.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I've got nothing left to say about that whole thing.  I don't think too many individual takes have changed much over the years.  Is kind of hard to believe that it's coming up on seven years ago since he left.  Time really flies. 

Yeah. Honestly, I was surprised to hear that NJ wasn't even a finalist. All indicators made it seem that it was NJ or Minnesota, which now we know wasn't the case. I wonder if NJ's offer was even competitive 

7 minutes ago, Derlique said:

Yeah. Honestly, I was surprised to hear that NJ wasn't even a finalist. All indicators made it seem that it was NJ or Minnesota, which now we know wasn't the case. I wonder if NJ's offer was even competitive 

Doubtful, given Vanderbeek basically had a lemonade stand set up outside.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Derlique said:

On that count, me too, mostly because I had always believed that they were in it up to the end as well...I also thought it had always come down to the Devils or the Wild.  Though if you believe what skeeter posted before Parise's final season here (Chico's quote about Parise basically saying that he was gone, that he was miffed about the Devils ponying up so much for Kovy), guess it's not such a surprise now. 

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

See the source image

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 2

Interesting and pretty much confirms what I have believed for a long time; Parise was going where his buddy Suter was going.  Suter had no interest in going to NJ so Parise was never going to continue to be a Devil.

And I do not believe the "offer" Lou made was in any sense competitive.  Never believed it then and don't believe it even more now.

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not too far off from reality.  In the 11-12 season JVB had the staff raid their storage closets to sell various tchotchkes via auction on the concourse during every game.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

On that count, me too, mostly because I had always believed that they were in it up to the end as well...I also thought it had always come down to the Devils or the Wild.  Though if you believe what skeeter posted before Parise's final season here (Chico's quote about Parise basically saying that he was gone, that he was miffed about the Devils ponying up so much for Kovy), guess it's not such a surprise now. 

See the source image

This. Devils were broke. They couldn't be finalists, didn't have the money to compete, patch up building problems, or pay vendors. They were broke as a joke.

5 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I was not going to as there's nothing left to say but if you want me too i can make an effort for you

What there is to say though is that they are both halfway through those huge contracts and never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs... and their best hockey is behind them 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 2

Yes, nothing left to say that's new. Dude was texting Suter during the 2012 playoffs, as I recall, about playing on the same team. He must have known then Suter wasn't interested in NJ and he'd be leaving.

Ultimately, he was worth maybe half the price and term of his contract. As miserable as the past 6 years have been, I thank our lucky stars every day we don't have that albatross hanging over our heads. I hold no animosity towards Zach at all knowing what we know now (and sort of knew then too). And I say with no contempt, just factually, that despite him looking for a team with all the pieces when he signed there, it certainly seems to me that the Wild's best days with ZP9 and Suter are behind them.

Edit: ZP11 now I suppose

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

I don't think it's fair to say the Devils weren't in the running. Why, I have it on good authority that when Minnesota offered that 25 million dollar signing bonus, Vanderbeek countered with a really nice home made card that had dollar signs made out of macaroni.

I bet Zach considered it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I was not going to as there's nothing left to say but if you want me too i can make an effort for you

What there is to say though is that they are both halfway through those huge contracts and never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs... and their best hockey is behind them 

He's currently having his best season in a Wild uni (shooting% is about four points above his career rate), but the last two were definitely rough...and he's missed 89 games since going there.  He played in 81 or more games in six out of his seven seasons in NJ...he's never managed more than 74 in any of his Wild seasons.

First four seasons were solid...about 33 G and 33 A per 82 GP (he did miss 35 games over the last three of those four seasons)...obviously nowhere near his best Devil campaigns, but right about on par with 2006-07, 2007-08, and 2011-12.   

So far the return has clearly been between pretty good and mixed...will be interesting to see how the next three seasons (still getting paid $9 million, $8 million, and $6 million) shake out.  He only makes a combined $4 million over the final three years of his deal...will also be interesting to see if he's still even playing then, and some rebuilding team takes on his hit (over $7.5 million per year) for picks and other goodies.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

13 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Yes, nothing left to say that's new. Dude was texting Suter during the 2012 playoffs, as I recall, about playing on the same team. He must have known then Suter wasn't interested in NJ and he'd be leaving.

FWIW this is why I will never 'forgive' him - I'll boo him in person every chance I get.

Your team is making a cup run and you're texting your bffl about where you'll be playing next season... some captain.

At the end of the day he made his decision and even if it hasn't worked out on the Ice probably as well as he would have hoped, he got to spend more time close to his dad before he passed and he is close to his family and home. I be he doesn't regrett the decision. 

These guys are humans just like the rest of us. 

I remember hearing that the "finalists" back in 2012 were NJ, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota. This is the first I'm hearing that Chicago was seriously in the running.

With the mess that Lou left behind by the time he left the organization, it's easy to blame him for something like this. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with how Lou handled the Parise situation. It would have been foolish to lock Parise up long term after he missed almost an entire season with a serious knee injury. He was a point per game player before the injury, and he hasn't been close to that level since then (until this season). It really was not a bad move. And I think we're all glad we don't have Parise's contract on the books for another 6 years. It was a good thing that Lou didn't overpay.