Back to the Future of the Past 80's vs Toronto 1/10/18 7PM GDT

DevsMan84

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah, Devils suck really bad. Third period looked like HS kids vs. the Globetrotters.

One of those games where the clearly superior team gets up by a big lead, lets off the gas and gets a little too comfortable, then wakes up and shuts the other one down after the game got closer than it ever should have.  Leafs were probably annoyed with themselves for letting the game get as interesting as it temporarily did.  

As someone who grew up in the 80s, I can say that the organization did a nice job with the general theme and extras.  Didn’t exactly thrill me that I knew every last song played, while many around me had clear “huh what?!” looks on their faces.  But that part of it was fun.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

One of those games where the clearly superior team gets up by a big lead, lets off the gas and gets a little too comfortable, then wakes up and shuts the other one down after the game got closer than it ever should have.  Leafs were probably annoyed with themselves for letting the game get as interesting as it temporarily did.  

As someone who grew up in the 80s, I can say that the organization did a nice job with the general theme and extras.  Didn’t exactly thrill me that I knew every last song played, while many around me had clear “huh what?!” looks on their faces.  But that part of it was fun.

And you got Dano Ghostbusters bobble heads. Can’t complain about that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m mildly disappointed that Erika doesn’t have giant teased hair and huge plastic hoop earrings and matching bracelets. 

As someone who lived it, sometimes there’s nothing hotter than an attractive young lady dolling herself up in full 80s garb when an occasion such as tonight calls for it.  

There’s also nothing less hot than a former 80s hottie STILL trying to pull off that look (hair and all) because she never evolved.  Bowling For Soup’s “1985” has some sad and painful truth to it...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, titans04 said:

Damn it I hope this loss doesn't hurt our chances to make the playoffs. 

2.4% now?

I'm still surprised Hynes got an extension. I'm not against him, but wasn't it too soon? Hard to tell if some one of Babcock's or Trotz' caliber could do anything significant with this roster, but this team isn't a well-coached group and is not showing any consistent improvement with or without Hall and MoJo in the lineup. They need to get better in almost all aspects and I'm not sure Hynes is the right guy although he cares and is respected by the players. 

6 hours ago, Triumph said:

Without Hall (and Johansson) this team really sucks.  Toronto's got at least 4 forwards better than our best, and it just gets worse from there - it's a terrible matchup for the Devils and I'm glad those guys are done for the year against us.

We sucked pretty hard with Hall as well. 

8 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As someone who lived it, sometimes there’s nothing hotter than an attractive young lady dolling herself up in full 80s garb when an occasion such as tonight calls for it.  

There’s also nothing less hot than a former 80s hottie STILL trying to pull off that look (hair and all) because she never evolved.  Bowling For Soup’s “1985” has some sad and painful truth to it...

Yup and yup. 

You're right but it's also perfectly indiciative of how things have changed.  For years and years most fans went way over the top bitching and moaning about the lack of marketing, or that the team wasn't 'exciting' enough as if either was the most important thing.  Marketing ain't gonna do sh!t if you have a crap product and how does 'being more exciting' taste now?  But hey we got five whole playoff games out of fast, attacking and supportive before going back into the crapper!

Edited by NJDevs4978

8d70d000324fe5f16aeb450abe9481df.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Triumph said:

Without Hall (and Johansson) this team really sucks.  Toronto's got at least 4 forwards better than our best, and it just gets worse from there - it's a terrible matchup for the Devils and I'm glad those guys are done for the year against us.

It took Toronto 8 years of completely sucking to build that roster. I fear it might take us just as long. For Hall's sake, it might make sense to entertain the best trade offer you can get and send him to a Cup contender. I'd love to have him on this team but it will ruin his career. 

The Devils are a byproduct of years and years of terrible drafting and giving away picks. Hischier might be in his late 20s by the time they're ready to go deep in the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Devs64 said:

I'm still surprised Hynes got an extension. I'm not against him, but wasn't it too soon? Hard to tell if some one of Babcock's or Trotz' caliber could do anything significant with this roster, but this team isn't a well-coached group and is not showing any consistent improvement with or without Hall and MoJo in the lineup. They need to get better in almost all aspects and I'm not sure Hynes is the right guy although he cares and is respected by the players. 

I'm still convinced that was more a Taylor Hall PR move. Hynes still isn't untouchable and it's at least possible that Hynes and Hall are tied together. If Hall ends up leaving somehow then Hynes might have his butt on the fire much sooner. Alternatively, they might let him stick around since without Hall the roster is pretty much AHL anyway.

1 hour ago, NJDevs4978 said:

You're right but it's also perfectly indiciative of how things have changed.  For years and years most fans went way over the top bitching and moaning about the lack of marketing, or that the team wasn't 'exciting' enough as if either was the most important thing.  Marketing ain't gonna do sh!t if you have a crap product and how does 'being more exciting' taste now?  But hey we got five whole playoff games out of fast, attacking and supportive before going back into the crapper!

Honestly, not sure what your complaint is.  It was clear that the "old" (in more ways than one) on-ice product was going to have be torn down...there was no more Band-Aiding that group, and I don't have any issues with Shero for not wanting to try to build a team in the same mold as previous Devils teams...I think the organization had taken that philosophy as far as it could go.  Are you knocking the more creative marketing, as somehow taking precedence over the team?  To me they're mutually exclusive, one having nothing to do with the other, really...but I do like that the off-ice experience has been spruced up...I'll readily admit, I'm not one of those fans who needed that (I go to watch my team play, not for extras), but I think the organization has done a nice job in recent years on that front.

Though the cupboard wasn't quite as bare as some make it out to be, it was bare enough that it was crazy to expect this thing to be turned around quickly...all things considered, last year was a bit of a pleasant surprise...but as we've seen, it's not always a linear progression, and for all that went right last year, not a whole lot has gone right this season.  The MoJo trade couldn't have paid less dividends against what was expected.  Now the one guy the Devils can never afford to lose for too long in Hall is out.  Guys we were hoping would take the next step really haven't done that.  And there's a whole lotta AHL kids up, due to various circumstances. 

Does the above mean that "fast, attacking, and supportive" is already a failure?  I think it's still too early to make any declarations.  The Devils were sucking well before Shero got here, and in a way and with a roster where there was zero hope.  There's at least some relatively young pieces in place now, and we definitely have to cross our fingers as hard as we can that Blackwood has a little sumthin'-sumthin'.  This season is clearly lost, but I don't necessarily write off next season as more of the same.

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm still convinced that was more a Taylor Hall PR move. Hynes still isn't untouchable and it's at least possible that Hynes and Hall are tied together. If Hall ends up leaving somehow then Hynes might have his butt on the fire much sooner. Alternatively, they might let him stick around since without Hall the roster is pretty much AHL anyway.

If Shero is ever making decisions based upon one player's happiness, then this thing is already sunk.  I like Hall a lot, but he's not SO great that this team should ever capitulate to him just to make him happy.  If Hynes isn't right for the Devils anymore sometime down the line, then Hall should be willing to accept that.

To be clear, I don't think Hall liking and respecting Hynes as much as he does was ever a primary factor in Shero signing him to an extension; I do think Shero genuinely thinks Hynes is a good coach and the right guy for his team...if nothing else, Shero is clearly willing to show some true patience through what's become a very ugly crash.  But at the same time, I would really like to not keep watching the same sh!t over and over again, and it feels like I've been doing too much of that since that 4-0-0 start.  Devils are now 12-20-7 since then.  That's about as bad as you can be in the 2019 NHL.  Like others have said, throwback night was truly a throwback in more ways than one.

My complaint is that some fans are getting their just desserts as current management only seems to care about off ice stuff like gambling lounges and marketing while the previous management only cared about winning. How else am I supposed to think when we’re $20-25 million under the cap every darn year and just extended a coach with one good year out of four? Especially when this ‘staff’ pays absolutely no attention to defense.

Edited by NJDevs4978

16 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

My complaint is that some fans are getting their just desserts as current management only seems to care about off ice stuff like gambling lounges and marketing while the previous management only cared about winning. How else am I supposed to think when we’re $20-25 million under the cap every darn year and just extended a coach with one good year out of four? Especially when this ‘staff’ pays absolutely no attention to defense.

C'mon, are you saying that Shero wouldn't have the freedom to spend on players if there's someone (or multiple someones) that he wants to spend on?  You're way off-base on this one...you're assuming ownership paying attention to other aspects means they don't care at all about the on-ice product, when I think they're simply trusting Shero 100% to handle that part of the franchise as he sees fit...basically, not meddling (unlike Jeff Wilpon-types).   

Shero clearly doesn't want to overpay in free agency at this time...or, at least he didn't this past offseason...maybe with this free agent class, he gets more involved.  But this is not an ownership or "current management" thing...this is not ownership telling Shero that he has to keep player payroll down...this is Shero having a plan in mind and not wanting to deviate from it or try to expedite things with quick, pricey fixes...he's said as much.  I think the owners will support him in anything he wants to do, and if he ever decided that he wanted to spend closer to the cap ceiling, I don't think ownership would ever say no to him.  I'm definitely not happy with the way this season has gone either, it's been fugly for sure, but your anger is directed towards the wrong outlet. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976