Back to the Future of the Past 80's vs Toronto 1/10/18 7PM GDT

DevsMan84

26 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C'mon, are you saying that Shero wouldn't have the freedom to spend on players if there's someone (or multiple someones) that he wants to spend on?  You're way off-base on this one...you're assuming ownership paying attention to other aspects means they don't care at all about the on-ice product, when I think they're simply trusting Shero 100% to handle that part of the franchise as he sees fit...basically, not meddling (unlike Jeff Wilpon-types).   

Shero clearly doesn't want to overpay in free agency at this time...or, at least he didn't this past offseason...maybe with this free agent class, he gets more involved.  But this is not an ownership or "current management" thing...this is not ownership telling Shero that he has to keep player payroll down...this is Shero having a plan in mind and not wanting to deviate from it or try to expedite things with quick, pricey fixes...he's said as much.  I think the owners will support him in anything he wants to do, and if he ever decided that he wanted to spend closer to the cap ceiling, I don't think ownership would ever say no to him.  I'm definitely not happy with the way this season has gone either, it's been fugly for sure, but your anger is directed towards the wrong outlet. 

It's the HF boards mentality again where Devils front office can never do anything right.

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C'mon, are you saying that Shero wouldn't have the freedom to spend on players if there's someone (or multiple someones) that he wants to spend on?  You're way off-base on this one...you're assuming ownership paying attention to other aspects means they don't care at all about the on-ice product, when I think they're simply trusting Shero 100% to handle that part of the franchise as he sees fit...basically, not meddling (unlike Jeff Wilpon-types).   

Shero clearly doesn't want to overpay in free agency at this time...or, at least he didn't this past offseason...maybe with this free agent class, he gets more involved.  But this is not an ownership or "current management" thing...this is not ownership telling Shero that he has to keep player payroll down...this is Shero having a plan in mind and not wanting to deviate from it or try to expedite things with quick, pricey fixes...he's said as much.  I think the owners will support him in anything he wants to do, and if he ever decided that he wanted to spend closer to the cap ceiling, I don't think ownership would ever say no to him.  I'm definitely not happy with the way this season has gone either, it's been fugly for sure, but your anger is directed towards the wrong outlet. 

In addition to what you said, Shero can and will spend if its right to. We know he offered money to Shattenkirk and he was pursuing Van riemsdyk before Philly signed him. I like that he isn't getting sucked in to that whole thing

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

In addition to what you said, Shero can and will spend if its right to. We know he offered money to Shattenkirk and he was pursuing Van riemsdyk before Philly signed him. I like that he isn't getting sucked in to that whole thing

I also like that the ownership is doing what they can to better and vary the fan experience at the Rock, and leaving their hockey man alone to take care of the Devils.  I'll take that over wannabe unqualified "but I'm an owner and I write paychecks so I need to involve myself in matters that I know nothing about" meddling types ANY day. 

• Like 1

It amazes me how people just want us to spend money for the sake of spending it.  There was nobody worth over-spending on in FA last offseason once we realized Carlson and Tavares were going elsewhere.  I would argue that his pursuit of JVR was stupid, and thank god we didn't end up signing him to the contract that Philly did. 

This year's FA class looks much better than in years past (at least at F).  I fully expect Shero to open the pocket books and legitimately attempt to sign a few guys on July 1.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

It amazes me how people just want us to spend money for the sake of spending it.  There was nobody worth over-spending on in FA last offseason once we realized Carlson and Tavares were going elsewhere.  I would argue that his pursuit of JVR was stupid, and thank god we didn't end up signing him to the contract that Philly did. 

This year's FA class looks much better than in years past (at least at F).  I fully expect Shero to open the pocket books and legitimately attempt to sign a few guys on July 1.

Especially since it's not like Shero's hidden the fact that that's exactly what he DOESN'T want to do.  It's like he's talked a big game about how he's going to be uber-aggressive in the UFA market and not delivered. 

And if anything, I'm glad that he DIDN'T get Shattenkirk and JVR, who Shero clearly did have legit interest in. 

40 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I also like that the ownership is doing what they can to better and vary the fan experience at the Rock, and leaving their hockey man alone to take care of the Devils.  I'll take that over wannabe unqualified "but I'm an owner and I write paychecks so I need to involve myself in matters that I know nothing about" meddling types ANY day. 

Ugh. As a fan of a certain garbage local football team, this week has really been a perfect example of that. 

Just now, NLinfante said:

The good news is that the Wood-Zajac-Coleman line is a really good third line.

The bad news is that it's the Devils' second line.

Coleman has now (somewhat quietly) scored 21 goals in his last 59 NHL games.  Almost a rate of 30 per 82 GP.  Really seems to have more and more of a nose for the net...love it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ugh. As a fan of a certain garbage local football team, this week has really been a perfect example of that. 

Ditto, re:  my baseball team.  I think the sole reason that Brodie Van Wagenen got the GM gig was because the other two candidates likely made it clear that they didn't want to deal with any Wilpon meddling.  And what's obvious is that Jeffy is now more involved than ever...this dipsh!t, who is basically considered to be a complete buffoon everywhere in MLB, actually thinks he's a friggin' genuine baseball man.  Thank God we don't have to deal with any of that sh!t with the Devils. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Ditto, re:  my baseball team.  I think the sole reason that Brodie Van Wagenen got the GM gig was because the other two candidates likely made it clear that they didn't to deal with any Wilpon meddling.  And what's obvious is that Jeffy is now more involved than ever...this dipsh!t, who is basically considered to be a complete buffoon everywhere in MLB, actually thinks he's a friggin' genuine baseball man.  Thank God we don't have to deal with any of that sh!t with the Devils. 

Definitely one of the good things about this ownership. I'm not sure why so many dislike them

38 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Coleman has now (somewhat quietly) scored 21 goals in his last 59 NHL games.  Almost a rate of 30 per 82 GP.  Really seems to have more and more of a nose for the net...love it.

If I remember correctly (and maybe I'm wrong because it was a while ago) but I'm pretty sure the scouting report on Coleman was that he had a bit of a scoring touch but they weren't sure if it would translate to the pro game. Pretty great to see it develop like it did. 

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There are other ways to add payroll besides FA’s who mostly aren’t going to sign here anyway. For years we heard we had cap space that’d be useful in trades, we did it for exactly one trade where no real money was added (Savard) and now that opportunity has mostly been lost with the cap going up every year. Shero can say what he wants about FA negotiations but sooner or later they gotta find some way to add talent and it’s eventually gonna require money, in FA or via trade. Even Hynes made a slightly eyebrow raising remark about Tampa being a cap team a while back.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

I think possibly we could've added dead cap weight more than what we did (a la Savard) but we haven't seen a lot of those moves recently either. 

The expansion draft and increasing cap dried up that market for the most part but they had years before that point.

Edited by NJDevs4978

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Honestly, not sure what your complaint is.  It was clear that the "old" (in more ways than one) on-ice product was going to have be torn down...there was no more Band-Aiding that group

4 hours ago, slasher72 said:

It took Toronto 8 years of completely sucking to build that roster.

The problem is, we did quite a few years of sucking already, but the rebuild didn't rally start until like 4-5 years into it. 

Go look at our 2014-15 roster, it's amazing. Count how many guys played for us that year who are playing in the NHL this year.

Here's the list:

Greene (should he be?)

Schneider (should he be?)

Zajac

Henrique

Kinkaid 

Larsson

Merrill (barely)

Severson

I think that's it. 8 guys out of the entire roster. And most were done within 2 years of that team. We've had 4 years of sucking (possibly more if you eliminate 2011-12), and last year we sucked but Taylor Hall carried us. 

Where are all the draft picks from all of those years we sucked? Hischier is fine, #1 overall but in a weak draft year, and fvcking Zacha.

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That right there is 2 good reasons we did not sign anyone so far.

20-20-hindsight.jpg

There were enough NHL-level players on the market available last to sign a few of them. Old “senile” Lou - went out and signed Komarovs and Fillpulas. Sure they aren’t big scorers but good depth players to have to roll out on the third line in a regular scenario or to have some depth when injuries occur to move different players up and down the lineup. So, it seems to me if Hynes is absolved of anything “given what he’s given to work with” the rest of the brass should be held accountable for at the very least overestimating the internal talent pipeline 

46 minutes ago, PacificDevil said:

There were enough NHL-level players on the market available last to sign a few of them. Old “senile” Lou - went out and signed Komarovs and Fillpulas. Sure they aren’t big scorers but good depth players to have to roll out on the third line in a regular scenario or to have some depth when injuries occur to move different players up and down the lineup. So, it seems to me if Hynes is absolved of anything “given what he’s given to work with” the rest of the brass should be held accountable for at the very least overestimating the internal talent pipeline 

That's a good point, but I also think they came into this year wanting to see what the kids had to offer and left slots open for that. No reason spending the money if you don't expect a playoff run anyway

24 minutes ago, Jimmy Leeds said:

Loss or not...........those uniforms are simply beautiful and no doubt we should have never switched to the horrid ones we've seen our boys wear for 20+ years

I implore Ray to go back

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I couldn't disagree more. I can't stand the green. 

I actually did like the way these uniforms looked on ice, quite a bit...they looked better than I was expecting them to (though I like these white throwbacks much more than the red Reebok ones...I never was truly feeling those), but I saw my fair share of iffy-looking knockoffs of the Adidas throwbacks in the crowd last night.  The real deals are a stark contrast. 

No thanks to ever seeing them full-time though.  Four times a year is plenty.  Still would love to see the "old" red and blacks come back, but that's never happening. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I actually did like the way these uniforms looked on ice, quite a bit...they looked better than I was expecting them to (though I like these white throwbacks much more than the red Reebok ones...I never was truly feeling those), but I saw my fair share of iffy-looking knockoffs of the Adidas throwbacks in the crowd last night.  The real deals are a stark contrast. 

No thanks to ever seeing them full-time though.  Four times a year is plenty.  Still would love to see the "old" red and blacks come back, but that's never happening. 

I noticed that too....a lot.  A solid 1/3 - 1/2 of the Heritage jerseys in the crowd were knockoffs.

I like the green, but we always lose while wearing them. 

I liked them as a novelty, once a year a retro night or a St. Patrick's night is fine. Hell, do them the last day before Christmas since they are red and green. 

The only way I would want to see them full time is if the entire league did a full "Turn Back The Clock" season, which I think would be awesome. Of course, expansion teams and such make that a little difficult. 

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

I noticed that too....a lot.  A solid 1/3 - 1/2 of the Heritage jerseys in the crowd were knockoffs.

That's interesting. I paid particular attention to them at the 12/29 and 12/31 games and noticed that most were the current Indonesian retail "authentics", likely bought at the arena. But not too many of the fakes. I guess as time has gone by more fakes have gotten out, plus it was retro night so more people wore them specifically for that reason.