Sign in to follow this  
DevilMinder

NHL tests player-tracking technology that could fundamentally change how we watch the game

I know this topic is as polarizing as it gets but I find this tech very cool and hope they integrate it to augment the NHL product. Watch the video, although the graphics as is are kind of overwhelming they are surprisingly smooth tracking the players as they move. I am actually liking the score embedded into the ice, that is cool too.

The future of hockey is upon us.

The San Jose Sharks topped the Golden Knights 3-2 Thursday night at T-Mobile Arena, and while the action between the division rivals was riveting, the most impressive part of the game was invisible to the thousands watching.

It was hidden inside the rubber of the pucks, and within the thread of each player’s shoulder pads, safely concealed by their sweater.

This week microchips were implanted and tracked live during a regular season game for the first time in NHL history. The tracking system was first tested in Tuesday’s game between the Golden Knights and Rangers, and Thursday the NHL granted The Athletic behind the scenes access to the infinite possibilities that come with this new form of tracking.

https://theathletic.com/761837/2019/01/11/nhl-tests-player-tracking-technology-that-could-fundamentally-change-how-we-watch-the-game/

Chip Tracking from Sarah Goldstein on Vimeo.

I'm gonna be an old man saying get off my lawn because I think this is crap. There's enough crap on the ice and screen already with sponsorship ads on the boards and ice and digitally imposed on the glass now too. Why do we need giant team logos imposed in this? We can tell the difference between the teams by the damn color of the uniforms. 

More importantly why would I rather watch a sh!tty video game version replay of the action instead of you know, an actual replay of the the real action? 

Lots of patting themselves on the back here for what essentially is a lot of useless stuff especially because the average fan doesn't give a sh!t about all these stats as it is... 

What am I missing here?.... 

“I always use goalies as an example,” Lehanski said. “For the most part, there are two statistics everyone uses to evaluate goalies — save percentage and goals-against average. That’s really all there is.

“Once we do this, just think: You’re going to know where the shots were taken, who took the shots, how fast the puck was moving, whether or not it was deflected, whether or not there was anyone in front of the goal. Then you overlay that with the time of the game, score margin and you can start to look at goalie performance completely differently, like we never have before.”

Besides how fast the puck was moving you can tell every other detail they mention simply by watching a replay. What brand spanking new info are we exactly getting here with goalies? Come on. 

Lots of garbage about getting people to bet in the article too. 

Also this... 

The technology on display Thursday night was truly spectacular, and this is only what six companies with only a few months of development have come up with. 

Yet earlier in the article they mention they have been working on the system for years so why not work on the display more so it doesn't look like a sh!tty ps2 game?

The Red Bulls players have been wearing sports bras that track all sorts of stats for years now. They don't show any of the info on the broadcasts though.

This whole article feels like the NHL paid them to write it since it kisses so much ass. You can also sign up to read the article for free like I did cause I'm sure as hell glad I didn't pay to read that crap. 

Lastly the best part of all this nonsense is that they still won't know if the damn puck is offsides or over the goal line without a damn long review. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 4

Amazing technology. I think it's great for the stats nerds, great to dip into when you want to replay and dissect a particular incident but I couldn't watch a game like that.

From a game-watching perspective I hate this. If I wanted this kind of thing I'd have been watching simulated games on one of the EA sports games. But it will be interesting how it impacts scouting and coaching. All the advanced stats that we as fans keep track of were originally put into place for scouting and coaching purposes and have refined how GM's and coaches view players and the game. That's where I think this will have more impact. Younger fans might appreciate this on a viewing level, but I anticipate greater than FOX Glowpuck levels of backlash if they force it down the throats of those of us that have left our high school days behind.

• Like 2

Probably no reason for people to lose their minds about this. It looks like they were just showing off what it can do. The interesting part is about the stat tracking. It's going to be very cool to see what kind of information this can give. 

Personally I don't like change, but this is crap.. I think that actually makes it harder to watch the game with all of the new added sh!t they've put all over the screen. If the took some of it out maybe it could be good.

I doubt they are going to go so graphics heavy, I think more like first down line in football or the field goal range lines. They could even remove all overlay graphics and just run with the score on the ice for a bit.

2 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

Personally I don't like change, but this is crap.. I think that actually makes it harder to watch the game with all of the new added sh!t they've put all over the screen. If the took some of it out maybe it could be good.

It looks like what was on the screen was just to show off the tracking capabilities, not how they would broadcast. The icons above the players were to show that the chips were accurately showing where the players were on the ice. 

Man if I was a player I'd HATE this.  Big brother is watching everything you do on the ice and compiling data on you that GMs will inevitably use against players in contract negotiations.

I don't see how this affects us, the fans, besides for some fancy graphic analysis once in a while.

I can see where this is an effective tool for teams to use behind the scenes.  But if that crap starts showing up on broadcasts, its brutal and would ruing the viewing experience for most fans.  The broadcasts are cluttered enough.  This would make it 100x worse.

• Like 1

The nhl has announced they will be showing this off during the all-star game tomorrow.

I avoided this thread until I had a relatively good idea of what it was all about, here’s my 2 cents:

I think it’s gonna be good for the game. I think this will do a lot more for it than the advanced stats which are beyond controversial as what they show versus what actually happens on the ice are a crapshoot.

i think even adding it to the regular broadcast might not be that bad. It kinda feels like watching a game of NHL 19 with a little more going on. I haven’t logged onto the app to see really how much is shown but I still don’t find it to be too overwhelming.

The puck tracker they just showed on the broadcast I think is much less obnoxious than the glow puck, but like Doc said, I think it will help the casual or new fan follow the action better. My friend who doesn’t watch hockey game over last weekend and watch parts of two games with me and his big complaint was it was a challenge to find the puck. I think people like him would benefit from the puck trail.

• Like 1

Our household had the same opinion, the hockey newbies were saying they could follow the puck, especially when it was wrapping around the glass with the tail enabled.

I wasn't so thrilled with the length of the trails, but the subdued grey wasn't so distracting. Maybe if they could make it come on when its a puck in a high rate of motion instead of always being there.

I do like the player tags and the tracking shift times and stuff so far though.

• Like 1

The black and white jerseys coupled with the grey tail are really fvcking with me.  It's like watching a classic game without any color.

33 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Our household had the same opinion, the hockey newbies were saying they could follow the puck, especially when it was wrapping around the glass with the tail enabled.

I wasn't so thrilled with the length of the trails, but the subdued grey wasn't so distracting. Maybe if they could make it come on when its a puck in a high rate of motion instead of always being there.

I do like the player tags and the tracking shift times and stuff so far though.

Was just coming on to talk about the player tags, I think that is a great feature. 

People new to hockey always ask, “who should I look out for” and now you can tell them the players name instead of needing name and number, and then them strain to find the player number on a variably sized screen.

this definitely would have helped a few of my friends during the finals last year, and we were watching on a decent sized projector 

I hated it, the one part where they had 3 different boxes on the screen was the worst. I didn't buy a large TV to have the actual game demoted to a smaller box.

The numbers on the back of the jerseys are large enough, it's not that hard to see them. Football, baseball and basketball doesn't do this nonsense. Hell don't some baseball teams not even put players names on the back of the jerseys?

This is the NHL again trying to fix sh!t that doesn't need to be fixed. Hockey is never going to be the top sport in the country and that's just the way it is, no matter what bs gimmicks they try. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I hated it, the one part where they had 3 different boxes on the screen was the worst. I didn't buy a large TV to have the actual game demoted to a smaller box.

The numbers on the back of the jerseys are large enough, it's not that hard to see them. Football, baseball and basketball doesn't do this nonsense. Hell don't some baseball teams not even put players names on the back of the jerseys?

This is the NHL again trying to fix sh!t that doesn't need to be fixed. Hockey is never going to be the top sport in the country and that's just the way it is, no matter what bs gimmicks they try. 

Cause baseball is slow enough you can’t miss people. And positions are easy to identify. Same with football. Basketball has a bright colored ball (relatively speaking) and it’s large enough you can easily see the freaking thing.

You have to think about the lowest denominator, it’s not you nor I. It’s the person who never has seen a game before and doesn’t know how to anticipate the play nor track what the hell is going on. 

You’re a purist, I get it, but we are always complaining about the game not being grown, and this is a way to do it where joe somebody at a bar can look up and have a clue of what’s going on.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents.  The gray streak was less obtrusive than the blue fox glow puck. The box telling me that Patrick Kane almost skated a mile was interesting but a rather useless waste of screen space.

Doc could have used the technology as he couldn't tell which 13 was shooting the puck.B)  My daughter was complaining about it, but i reminded her these lines and boxes weren't for us.  But to bring new people into the sport( Who are going to be disappointed anyway when there are no lines or stat boxes in a normal game. They are really going to be upset when they see some teams actually play defense!)

19 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

That was just brutal.  It felt like they were playing NHL 19 with all of the assist modes still turned on.  If I wanted to watch NHL 19, I'd just play the game.  In fact, when I do play it with my kids, I turn all that BS off.  Just let me watching the game in peace, without bombarding me with useless information.

As for the comet tail trailing behind the puck, it's just annoying.  My eyes kept getting attracted to the stupid gray line following the puck, rather than where the puck was going.  I get them trying to attract the casual viewer, but haven't they learned that this is not the way to do it.  If people have trouble following the puck along the near side boards, then come up with tech that allows you to track the puck when it is there, but only when it is there.  The rest of the ice, people need to open their eyes and figure it out.  It's not rocket science.   

• Like 1

FWIW every time I talk to someone who is just starting to watch hockey their biggest issue with watching it on TV is that they have trouble following the puck.  I often tell them that eventually it gets easier the more you watch as you get used to it, but most seem to get frustrated and give up before that even happens.

It is not nearly as bad as it was when standard definition was around, but I can see their point.  If these tags and tracker tails is what helps these people then I am all for it.  I didn't find the tails at all distracting and the player tags were only shown for a few seconds at a time every few minutes, so it was manageable.  I get to a lot of hardcore fans these things seem and look gimmicky, but frankly it does address a big time complaint for casual viewers.

19 hours ago, jagknife said:

Cause baseball is slow enough you can’t miss people. And positions are easy to identify. Same with football. Basketball has a bright colored ball (relatively speaking) and it’s large enough you can easily see the freaking thing.

You have to think about the lowest denominator, it’s not you nor I. It’s the person who never has seen a game before and doesn’t know how to anticipate the play nor track what the hell is going on. 

You’re a purist, I get it, but we are always complaining about the game not being grown, and this is a way to do it where joe somebody at a bar can look up and have a clue of what’s going on.

I wouldn't even consider myself that much of a purist. I don't even mind the stupid shootout all that much anymore. I just think this stuff is silly and won't work anyway. 

It's 2019 now, cheap crystal clear HDTVs are extremely affordable nowadays. Unless you're watching on a TV that is 25 inches or smaller this shouldn't even be an issue. 

The key thing to tell people who are too stupid to see the puck is to watch the guy who is stick handling. 

When it comes to marketing and what not I don't care what the league does, I only care what the Devils do and their biggest issue right now to me is the pricing structure is off in a few areas for me. Those top corner 200s are way too expensive at face value for what they are. I'm not saying they need to be $10 but when your cheapest ticket for some games is $60 or more after fees that is an issue. Even more so based on the teams performance this year. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

16 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I wouldn't even consider myself that much of a purist. I don't even mind the stupid shootout all that much anymore. I just think this stuff is silly and won't work anyway. 

It's 2019 now, cheap crystal clear HDTVs are extremely affordable nowadays. Unless you're watching on a TV that is 25 inches or smaller this shouldn't even be an issue. 

The key thing to tell people who are too stupid to see the puck is to watch the guy who is stick handling. 

When it comes to marketing and what not I don't care what the league does, I only care what the Devils do and their biggest issue right now to me is the pricing structure is off in a few areas for me. Those top corner 200s are way too expensive at face value for what they are. I'm not saying they need to be $10 but when your cheapest ticket for some games is $60 or more after fees that is an issue. Even more so based on the teams performance this year. 

I think this is sort of a low blow.  We can't really relate to these people because we have been watching hockey for years.  These are people who are coming into it fresh and have not trained their eyes yet.  How many times have we lost track of the puck in a single game but know where it is because our brains have been trained to "know" where the puck is?  These people don't have that sense in them yet and like I said many will get frustrated before reaching the point of being able to follow it.  The HDTV cameras are nice, but they are still 50+ feet from the rink and are following a 3-in diameter puck that is constantly going 65+ mph.

As for pricing structure, even when Devils had $10 tickets in the corners for every game attendance was an issue.  Also, outside of Rangers, special event, and maybe some Flyers games I can't remember any games being $60+ for the cheapest tickets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I think this is sort of a low blow.  We can't really relate to these people because we have been watching hockey for years.  These are people who are coming into it fresh and have not trained their eyes yet.  How many times have we lost track of the puck in a single game but know where it is because our brains have been trained to "know" where the puck is?  These people don't have that sense in them yet and like I said many will get frustrated before reaching the point of being able to follow it.  The HDTV cameras are nice, but they are still 50+ feet from the rink and are following a 3-in diameter puck that is constantly going 65+ mph.

As for pricing structure, even when Devils had $10 tickets in the corners for every game attendance was an issue.  Also, outside of Rangers, special event, and maybe some Flyers games I can't remember any games being $60+ for the cheapest tickets.

It might be a low blow but it's what I tell anyone who watches games for the first time with me and it works. 

Gonna take time to see how the puck trail and this nonsense relates to increased watching but I don't for a second believe it will make a bit of difference. 

Weren't those $10 tickets the line that people had to line up for and that became an annoyance? I definitely think they would be more full if you could purchase them in advance without having to line up for them and they were priced right. They have had issues filling them previously but they have been by far the most empty seats this season.