Sign in to follow this  
DevilMinder

NHL tests player-tracking technology that could fundamentally change how we watch the game

14 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

It might be a low blow but it's what I tell anyone who watches games for the first time with me and it works. 

Gonna take time to see how the puck trail and this nonsense relates to increased watching but I don't for a second believe it will make a bit of difference. 

Weren't those $10 tickets the line that people had to line up for and that became an annoyance? I definitely think they would be more full if you could purchase them in advance without having to line up for them and they were priced right. They have had issues filling them previously but they have been by far the most empty seats this season. 

The issue is not when the player has the puck, but when the puck is passed or shot or dumped.  A lot of people have trouble following it and especially so when it is along the near boards.  Those kinds of instances take time and those situations take up about 1/3 of the game.  A lot of casual or first time viewers get frustrated when they can't tell where the puck is for that much in a game.

We really don't know how much of a difference the technology will make.  Even with the Fox trax puck it wasn't used for long enough or often enough to really gauge how effective it was over the long term for gaining new viewers.  Plus the new puck tracking is far less intrusive than a purple blob that was on a SDTV.  We will just have to see.

Yeah that $10 line was the 7th circle of hell.  After 2-3 times of standing in that line I never went back and paid more to get seats in advance so I wouldn't have to stand in that line.  Also, it wasn't the fact that there was a line that was awful, it was the people who were in it and each time it was the same terrible people.

I don't think putting them online to purchase in advance would be a good idea.  Then they are open to online bots and scalpers scooping them up literally the second they go on sale and suddenly they are with those guys standing outside the box office saying "tickets?" in their exaggerated accents.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

The issue is not when the player has the puck, but when the puck is passed or shot or dumped.  A lot of people have trouble following it and especially so when it is along the near boards.  Those kinds of instances take time and those situations take up about 1/3 of the game.  A lot of casual or first time viewers get frustrated when they can't tell where the puck is for that much in a game.

We really don't know how much of a difference the technology will make.  Even with the Fox trax puck it wasn't used for long enough or often enough to really gauge how effective it was over the long term for gaining new viewers.  Plus the new puck tracking is far less intrusive than a purple blob that was on a SDTV.  We will just have to see.

Yeah that $10 line was the 7th circle of hell.  After 2-3 times of standing in that line I never went back and paid more to get seats in advance so I wouldn't have to stand in that line.  Also, it wasn't the fact that there was a line that was awful, it was the people who were in it and each time it was the same terrible people.

I don't think putting them online to purchase in advance would be a good idea.  Then they are open to online bots and scalpers scooping them up literally the second they go on sale and suddenly they are with those guys standing outside the box office saying "tickets?" in their exaggerated accents.

Yeah we'll have to see how it goes. Has anyone said if this is just going to be used for national broadcasts only? Cause in that case we really don't have much to worry about since the Devils are barely on there. 

I never had to deal with that line but I think a good alternative would be to make them college sections. I think they have that college app already but I'd just make these $20/25 and make them will call only where you have to show your ID. Anything that can eliminate the scalpers plus get younger fans in the bulding is a good move to me. 

I still have no idea how those scalpers outside the arena make money, it's always the same guys and I've never once seen anyone buying tickets from them.