GDT: DevIls vs. Blackhawks, 1/14/19, 7:00pm

mfitz804

16 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m doing that thing where we immediately put up the new GDT after the game ends. 

LGD

nice, this is a lot better then waiting 1 hour before the game starts. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch this or Tuesdays game as ill be at work..but hopefully we can take advantage of a struggling Chicago team and string together some points here. Has there been any word on what happened to hall and when he is expected to come back?

• Like 1

Will be there tonight with my daughter, Section 8.  Hoping for a better result than what happened 1/10. 

LGMFD!

We need to win this game.  We can win this game.  We should win this game.

I'm very confident when Blakwood is in net.  That's a good feeling.  Let's bring down his already-awesome 1.85 GAA and raise up even further his equally amazing .947 Save %.

Still no Hall?  I hope the guy's here next year, and many years beyond that, but when it comes time to negotiating a contract for him, his injury woes need to be brought up in the discussion.  Not saying it's a huge problem, because there's lots of guys who are worse, but Hall's missed enough time now between this year and last where it's at least relevant and should be noted.  If you want to get paid like a superstar, you have to be on the ice.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I'm fine with this.  I'm happy to give Rooney some more looks, because as I mentioned prior I don't think Pietila brings much.  I'm also fine and kinda happy actually that Mueller's still in for Santini.  I think Mueller's a bit better player, and also was glad to see him bring a little tenacity last game.  He got into a couple scuffles and actually used his size a bit, didn't back down when engaged.  We need more of that.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Still no Hall?  I hope the guy's here next year, and many years beyond that, but when it comes time to negotiating a contract for him, his injury woes need to be brought up in the discussion.  Not saying it's a huge problem, because there's lots of guys who are worse, but Hall's missed enough time now between this year and last where it's at least relevant and should be noted.  If you want to get paid like a superstar, you have to be on the ice.  

He missed 6 games last season. The year before that he only missed 10 following a surgery to his knee. That's right KNEE SURGERY and he only missed a total of 10 games (and if I recall, I think only 8 of them were post-surgery).  

Neither of those is really significant time. Arguably coming back 10 games post-surgery is exactly what a team leader would do. 

This year he's missed 11, I have no idea what is wrong with him nor when he will return. 

The idea that a guy might miss 6-10 games a year means he's not worthy of a "superstar" paycheck is , frankly, completely ridiculous. Especially last year when he was the only guy playing for a while. I'm quite happy you are not negotiating his extension. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He missed 6 games last season. The year before that he only missed 10 following a surgery to his knee. That's right KNEE SURGERY and he only missed a total of 10 games (and if I recall, I think only 8 of them were post-surgery).  

Neither of those is really significant time. Arguably coming back 10 games post-surgery is exactly what a team leader would do. 

This year he's missed 11, I have no idea what is wrong with him nor when he will return. 

The idea that a guy might miss 6-10 games a year means he's not worthy of a "superstar" paycheck is , frankly, completely ridiculous. Especially last year when he was the only guy playing for a while. I'm quite happy you are not negotiating his extension. 

I couldn't remember what his injury was last year, so if it was knee surgery, then OK, I'll give you that 10 games isn't so bad to recover from that.  But this year he's already missed 11 games, and there really hasn't been any telling of when he'll be back, which is concerning to me. And what's really the most concerning to me out of all of this, is that the guy is only 27 years  (or is he 28 now? I forget), and basically in the prime of not only his hockey career, but essentially his life - a time at which he and his body will have the best/quickest ability to recover from injuries.  Couple that with the most advance medicine and rehabilitation money can buy, and it's not exactly a medical miracle that the guy is "only" missing the games that you mentioned.  I may be coming down on him too harsh (again, I'm more or less saying that this might be the tip of the iceberg in terms of his durability issues, which my God I hope not, and more than that, I'm just bringing it up because I think when you're a GM doing your due diligence and trying to get the best bang for your buck from each signing, it's something you have to consider and bring up as a bargaining chip), but I think in the same right you might just be downplaying it a bit.  

Depending on how the rest of the year plays out and if Hall continues to miss significant time from now until the end of the season, then I'm quite happy you're not negotiating his contract as well ;)

Edited by NJDfan1711

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I couldn't remember what his injury was last year, so if it was knee surgery, then OK, I'll give you that 10 games isn't so bad to recover from that.  But this year he's already missed 11 games, and there really hasn't been any telling of when he'll be back, which is concerning to me. And what's really the most concerning to me out of all of this, is that the guy is only 27 years  (or is he 28 now? I forget), and basically in the prime of not only his hockey career, but essentially his life - a time at which he and his body will have the best/quickest ability to recover from injuries.  Couple that with the most advance medicine and rehabilitation money can buy, and it's not exactly a medical miracle that the guy is "only" missing the games that you mentioned.  I may be coming down on him too harsh (again, I'm more or less saying that this might be the tip of the iceberg in terms of his durability issues, which my God I hope now, and more than that, I'm just bringing it up because I think when you're a GM doing your due diligence and trying to get the best bang for your buck from each signing, it's something you have to consider and bring up as a bargaining chip), but I think in the same right you might just be downplaying it a bit.  

Depending on how the rest of the year plays out and if Hall continues to miss significant time from now until the end of the season, then I'm quite happy you're not negotiating his contract as well ;)

That's an awful take on things.  Crosby, Malkin, M. Lemieux, Stamkos, etc. have all had serious injuries where they have missed significant amounts of games in their career and you are saying none of those guys are worth superstar money?

I guess when your mindset is to overpay for below average backups I guess your thinking can be warped.

5 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That's an awful take on things.  Crosby, Malkin, M. Lemieux, Stamkos, etc. have all had serious injuries where they have missed significant amounts of games in their career and you are saying none of those guys are worth superstar money?

Nope, not saying that at all - those guys all went on to have lengthy careers with insane numbers (save for maybe Lemieux with his back and cancer issues, but he still had basically the second best numbers out of any player EVER), while Hall is only 27 years old with much of his career left to be determined.  And if you're comparing Hall to Lemieux, well then I can't help you here...

I guess when your mindset is to overpay for below average backups I guess your thinking can be warped.

😂

That's another discussion entirely and not necessary to bring up in here (thanks for the dig though!), and you literally had no answer to what I had shown you (i.e. that Kinkaid ISN'T being overpaid, and there are DOZENS of other guys making more money than him to play a backup role.  BUT, if you want to ignore facts, more power to ya)

Edited by NJDfan1711

36 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

But this year he's already missed 11 games, and there really hasn't been any telling of when he'll be back, which is concerning to me. And what's really the most concerning to me out of all of this, is that the guy is only 27 years  (or is he 28 now? I forget), and basically in the prime of not only his hockey career, but essentially his life - a time at which he and his body will have the best/quickest ability to recover from injuries.  Couple that with the most advance medicine and rehabilitation money can buy, and it's not exactly a medical miracle that the guy is "only" missing the games that you mentioned.  I may be coming down on him too harsh (again, I'm more or less saying that this might be the tip of the iceberg in terms of his durability issues, which my God I hope not, and more than that, I'm just bringing it up because I think when you're a GM doing your due diligence and trying to get the best bang for your buck from each signing, it's something you have to consider and bring up as a bargaining chip), but I think in the same right you might just be downplaying it a bit.  

I'm not downplaying anything, you're talking about whether or not he's worth a superstar contract because he's missed 11 games, and you don't even know what's wrong with him. You've got him taking too long to recover, but you don't even know what's wrong with him. 

Most superstars wind up missing time with injuries because they're driving the play, they're on the puck, they are the ones getting hit, knocked down, or just flat out busting their asses in and out of the zone. 

Not knowing what this year's issue is, saying he's got a durability issue or that he's got to come back faster to get paid like a superstar, based on the two prior years having missed 16 games, including a stint for a knee surgery, doesn't make any sense. 

You could bring that up as a GM, but then the other 5+ teams who are ready to give him a huge contract will look way more attractive. The ONLY way we're keeping Hall is to give him whatever he wants, and based on how we've been looking lately, even that may not be enough. 

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That's another discussion entirely and not necessary to bring up in here (thanks for the dig though!), and you literally had no answer to what I had shown you (i.e. that Kinkaid ISN'T being overpaid, and there are DOZENS of other guys making more money than him to play a backup role.  BUT, if you want to ignore facts, more power to ya)

Now, if you want to argue KK is overpaid because he makes what he makes and sh!ts all over the ice every game lately, that's a different argument...

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

We need to win this game.  We can win this game.  We should win this game.

I'm very confident when Blakwood is in net.  That's a good feeling.  Let's bring down his already-awesome 1.85 GAA and raise up even further his equally amazing .947 Save %.

Right? It's beyond me that with the money they are making the coach are not simply telling the players not to get hurt. Or if they don't listen and get hurt anyway to heal faster. 

It's so simple lol 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Right? It's beyond me that with the money they are making the coach are not simply telling the players not to get hurt. Or if they don't listen and get hurt anyway to heal faster. 

It's so simple lol 

Yup, coaching is our issue lol. 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Nope, not saying that at all - those guys all went on to have lengthy careers with insane numbers (save for maybe Lemieux with his back and cancer issues, but he still had basically the second best numbers out of any player EVER), while Hall is only 27 years old with much of his career left to be determined.  And if you're comparing Hall to Lemieux, well then I can't help you here...

😂

What on earth are you talking about?  Both Malkin and Crosby had significant injuries early in their career.  Ditto for Stamkos.  Who is to say Hall can't have a lengthy career like them after having injury issues early on?

This is not Mike Cammalleri we are talking about here, but you are trying to twist it into that sort of situation really hard.

As for the goalie argument, I did answer you.  I said those goalies you mentioned were all better goalies (backups) than KK.  If you want to find another backup putting up similar numbers to KK might as well find Yann Danis somewhere in the scrap heap and pay him league minimum.

Sometimes this board tends to take sh!t a little too literally and seriously. I think njdfan1711 is just frustrated Hall has been out with no reason during this crucial stretch. 

LGD tonight. Blackwood plus a winning streak and I’m back on the bandwagon!

2 minutes ago, devlman said:

Sometimes this board tends to take sh!t a little too literally and seriously. I think njdfan1711 is just frustrated Hall has been out with no reason during this crucial stretch. 

LGD tonight. Blackwood plus a winning streak and I’m back on the bandwagon!

not to take things to literally but... why is this particular stretch crucial? 

Edited by SterioDesign