GDT: DevIls vs. Blackhawks, 1/14/19, 7:00pm

mfitz804

RECAP

• PROS
    • This team has better forward depth than they were given credit for.
    • There were no passengers tonight
    • The middle 6 are beastly.
    • Defensively, they weren't as bad as you might think.
      • They gave up a whopping 3 high danger chances all game.
  • CONS
    • Blackwood had a rough game.
    • Too many penalties early
    • Careless decisions with the puck
  • OTHER NOTES
    • Congrats to Rooney
    • Hopefully Wood is ok
    • Whoever gets the net tomorrow is ok by me
      • On one hand, you want to see what kind of mental fortitude Blackwood has
      • On the other hand he just came back from IR, and you might wanna be cautious with him.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE ANALYSIS

• GOAL 1
    • Nice shot by Kane
    • Blackwood should make that save
  • GOAL 2
    • Bad goal by Blackwood
  • GOAL 3
    • Horrible miscommunication by Blackwood and Vatanen
    • Nice shot by Seabrook
    • Could have been stopped, but would have required a great save
  • GOAL 4
    • Bad goal by Blackwood
  • GOAL 5
    • Nice shot by Saad
    • Tough save to make for Blackwood

5 ON 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 47 to 48
  • FF: 41 to 36
  • SF: 35 to 30
  • SCF: 27 to 22
  • HDCF: 11 to 3

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 49.7 to 43.81
  • FF: 42.72 to 33.32
  • SF: 36.63 to 27.92
  • SCF: 27.63 to 21
  • HDCF: 10.85 to 2.97

Just now, Mike Brown said:

• Whoever gets the net tomorrow is ok by me
      • On one hand, you want to see what kind of mental fortitude Blackwood has
      • On the other hand he just came back from IR, and you might wanna be cautious with him

If he faced 20 shots tonight I would consider it, but things being as they are, I’d give KK the net tomorrow. 

• Like 1

8 goals on a night without Nico scoring, and no Hall? I’ll take it. Coleman is really becoming one of my favorite players. Old school prototypical Devil. I wouldn’t go so far as “best player on the team” but he’s a good one. Loving Bratt’s game lately, too. He looks like the most dynamic player on the ice a lot of nights. I’m not sure we have a better passer right now. Tough night for Blackwood, score wise, but I didn’t think he was that bad. Kane has been a superstar for a decade + for a reason. Ben Lovejoy needs a night or two in the press box. He was awful tonight. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Coleman is really becoming one of my favorite players. Old school prototypical Devil. I wouldn’t go so far as “best player on the team” but he’s a good one. 

Certainly in the last 2-3 weeks he has been. The guy has everything that Wood lacks in terms of hockey sense. He’s always in the right place, he puts the puck in the right place, he always knows where his teammates are, and he’s annoying in the D-zone and really hard to check off the puck. 

I’d take a half dozen of him on my team in a minute. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Certainly in the last 2-3 weeks he has been. The guy has everything that Wood lacks in terms of hockey sense. He’s always in the right place, he puts the puck in the right place, he always knows where his teammates are, and he’s annoying in the D-zone and really hard to check off the puck. 

Go easy on Wood. He’s been playing really well lately. He actually looks like the player that scored 19 goals, again. 

Felt a little like Mac kinda lost his edge/focus a bit and couldn’t get it back.  That’s OK, sometimes that can happen with a big lead...he’ll learn from that.  And the Blackhawks still have guys who can hurt you, lackluster record or not. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Go easy on Wood. He’s been playing really well lately. He actually looks like the player that scored 19 goals, again. 

He has, but he’s more bull in a china shop, see what happens. Coleman is far more calculated. 

I was t trying to slamwood, he’s been doing well, but he still lacks hockey sense. He’s more organized chaos lol. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

23 goals in his last 61 GP.  Pretty damned good.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Felt a little like Mac kinda lost his edge/focus a bit and couldn’t get it back.  That’s OK, sometimes that can happen with a big lead...he’ll learn from that.  And the Blackhawks still have guys who can hurt you, lackluster record or not. 

Looking at that Hawks roster, they should be better than they are. But their goaltending has been bad and their superstars are aging (not that Kane showed any of that today). 

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

23 goals in his last 61 GP.  Pretty damned good.  

If the wind blows the right way he could end up with 30 this year. 

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Looking at that Hawks roster, they should be better than they are. But their goaltending has been bad and their superstars are aging (not that Kane showed any of that today). 

Heard them say Kane has now had 12 straight 20+ goal seasons. Only other active player to do it is Ovi. 

Edited by Nicomo
Correction

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Heard them say Kane has now had 12 straight 25+ goal seasons. Only other active player to do it is Ovi. 

That’s not accurate, he’s played 12 years, 3 seasons were 21, 23 and 23. Still impressive. 

The second 23 goal season was in 47 games, by the way. The 21 was his rookie season. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s not accurate, he’s played 12 years, 3 seasons were 21, 23 and 23. Still impressive. 

The second 23 goal season was in 47 games, by the way. The 21 was his rookie season. 

I must have misheard. Maybe they said 20+?

still, when the greatest goal scorer of this generation is your only company in a stat that’s really impressive. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He has, but he’s more bull in a china shop, see what happens. Coleman is far more calculated. 

I was t trying to slamwood, he’s been doing well, but he still lacks hockey sense. He’s more organized chaos lol. 

As many points in his last 10 games (eight) as he managed in his previous 35...but organized chaos does kind of sum him up.  Better than disorganized chaos though...headed in the right direction.

27 points now for Zajac (44 GP)...I definitely would’ve signed up for that at the 45-game mark of the season.  46 points (18 G and 28 A) in his last 74 GP.  Fun to see him showing offensive life again.

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If the wind blows the right way he could end up with 30 this year. 

We’ve seen first-hand what bad goaltending can do to a team...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I must have misheard. Maybe they said 20+?

still, when the greatest goal scorer of this generation is your only company in a stat that’s really impressive. 

Yeah the 21, 23 and 23 really didn’t make it any less impressive. Plenty of assists to go with those too. 

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

We’ve seen first-hand what bad goaltending can do to a team...

Yes sir. 

4 hours ago, Joonas #6 said:

I missed the game. Any #leather sightings? 

No but she was wearing team colors again. I like that. 

I mean, of course they were BOTH team’s colors, but still, we know what she was doing. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

What on earth are you talking about?  Both Malkin and Crosby had significant injuries early in their career.  Ditto for Stamkos.  

Yes bro, and Crosby/Malkin are 5-6 years older than Hall.  

Who is to say Hall can't have a lengthy career like them after having injury issues early on?

No one's saying that.  I all said was that this could be the start of a nagging injury, and it's mildly concerning since he's only 27.  

This is not Mike Cammalleri we are talking about here, but you are trying to twist it into that sort of situation really hard.

Nope, not really.  If Hall goes on to have a normal and full career, then this obviously doesn't apply.  Again, I'm only saying that to me it's a little concerning because of his age.  If he was 32-33, I'd say OK, it's to be expected that the guy is experiencing a couple injuries, and he's coming out of his prime now.  At 27 though, it's at least in the back of my mind. 

As for the goalie argument, I did answer you.  I said those goalies you mentioned were all better goalies (backups) than KK.  If you want to find another backup putting up similar numbers to KK might as well find Yann Danis somewhere in the scrap heap and pay him league minimum.

I guess it's your opinion to classify those goalies as "better", but I listed more than a half dozen goalies making the same or more money than KK with similar numbers.  Not sure what more I can do.  You either see it or you don't.  It's all good.

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I really hope he's getting on a roll now and will be more consistent in the back half of this year, but last game when he scored I was thinking it was probably 9 or 10 goals for him, and I saw it was only 4 lol.  Really couldn't believe he had that few, and it just shows how bad he really was struggling in the early part of this season.  I get that expectations were going to be high because of his recent contract, but man, 4 goals through half a season is awful no matter how you slice it. 

I do like the way he's playing lately though.  Any update on his injury from last night?

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I get that expectations were going to be high because of his recent contract, but man, 4 goals through half a season is awful no matter how you slice it. 

4 years, $11m doesn’t exactly raise my expectations for him. But coming off a 19 goal season, I definitely thought that he would be better. There was a point earlier in the year where he should have been healthy scratched, if we had anyone to put in his place. 

Surprised after a 13 goal effort, we have only 4 pages of a GDT, oh well...

Saw the game on delay and man was that end of the second a black eye on an otherwise fun game.

Most has been said already so I'll just roll with.... YAAAAY 2 in a row.

"If we win one today, that's called a winning streak, it has happened before."

• Haha 1